WTF happened to my friend Catherine?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

'; DROP DATABASE;--

WTF happened to my friend Catherine?

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:18 am UTC

cateye.jpg
This isn't exactly easy to photograph.
cateye.jpg (17.12 KiB) Viewed 6018 times

I just let my friend Catherine in and found him looking like this. It looks pretty bad; I can't see a pupil or anything, it's just a dark red/black empty-looking sphere, with fluid oozing out of it. Despite this, he still seems to be able to see (navigates the house fine, reacts when I pretend I'm going to poke it), and doesn't act like he's in pain, but does seem like he wants to avoid light. :-/ (Curls up in a corner, with his head covered.) Is this something I should be concerned about?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: WTF happened to my friend Catherine?

Postby Hawknc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Stop posting on the fucking internet and take your cat to a vet. The hell is wrong with you?

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:25 am UTC

It looks like an infection of some sort to me. Get it to a vet.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:25 am UTC

It's 10:30 at night. :(
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Vet. go.

No all night vet in your area?

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:26 am UTC

Abstruse wrote:Vet. go.

As in now.

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:26 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:It's 10:30 at night. :(

No excuses.

GO.
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Looks like your cat's got a bad case of the "blurs." I'd get that checked out immediately; if you don't take care of it soon, he might never come back into focus.
Have you given up?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:39 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:It's 10:30 at night. :(

I don't know where in Alberta you are (and man, it looks big), but a starting point is this place in Edmonton which is open all night. Got transport?

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Edmonton is a several-hour drive, but it does look like there are 24-hour vets open here. I didn't think there were. I took another look at it and it looks like he can't actually see out of it; the first time was just a fluke. So yeah, I'm going to take him down there now.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:19 am UTC

I hope the cat is ok.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:11 am UTC

Cats don't usually show pain. If they're obviously hurting then something is hugely wrong. But I agree with everyone else- vet, now. Hope the cat is ok.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:44 am UTC

Now my old cat used to get something similar all the time. He had an eye infection his whole life. We generally just cleaned it with a paper towel.

But that was after a vet said we should just clean it.

VET. NOW.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:49 am UTC

And I used to have a cat with a little black triangle in the corner of one eye from having his inner eyelid torn in a fight. I would assume he came inside looking a whole like that picture, and utterly failing at his you-should-see-the-other-guy swagger, but I can't say for sure since I was really young (or possibly non-existent) at the time.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Alright, just got back. He's already showing significant improvement; the eye looks almost normal (save for redness and swelling) and he seems to be able to see again. They said it looks like he just took a good whack to the face and prescribed some eye drops and pills... expensive as hell, but shit happens. (I knew I shouldn't have bought a phone... <_<)

(Also: most patient cat ever. Didn't even try to escape.)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:14 am UTC

Hooray! You should post a picture of your cat looking all better so we don't have to keep being upset by that horrible picture up above.

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:(Also: most patient cat ever. Didn't even try to escape.)

That's a really good thing, I think. I think it means he's generally been raised to feel safe and not threatened, that he's had a life that doesn't give him any reason to be afraid of people or things that are a little strange. (Now you're going to tell me that you rescued him from an alley and make me look silly.)
Raise up the torch and light the way.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:15 am UTC

It's fantastic that it looks like it'll be okay.

my friend Catherine was swiped somewhere in or above the eye when it was little, and now one of its pupils is about twice the size of the other, often more. It can see, I believe. Or it is very good at pretending to be able to. You can never tell, with cats.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 am UTC

expensive as hell, but shit happens.

My dog has better health coverage than I do.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:25 am UTC

Well, here's a fairly recent photo from before. Spoiler'd for omghueg.
Spoiler:
midnight.jpg
Not the best photo ever
midnight.jpg (187.02 KiB) Viewed 5727 times

He's probably spent a lot of time around children, and learned to be patient with them. He won't squirm very much if you pick him up against his will, but he will complain and leave as soon as you let him. :P

Would have been nice if I could have got better pictures of the eye itself. Some freaky stuff there.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:29 am UTC

The cat of one of my roommates had one of it's eyes removed when it was young. It was kept in a jar. Now the cat is fat and old and doesn't like to be touched.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:33 am UTC

Oh, what a beautiful cat! *loves*
Raise up the torch and light the way.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:39 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:The cat of one of my roommates had one of it's eyes removed when it was young. It was kept in a jar. Now the cat is fat and old and doesn't like to be touched.

Spoiler'd for slightly graphic moments.

Spoiler:
My firstest evar cat (who died when she was a whopping 21) got hit by a car when she was very young, and her left eye was damaged and rendered blind.

NO MATTER.

She carried on. Tiny little tabby cat, most vicious fighter you would ever see. Once brought in 13 dead animals in one night, and fought a fox with her son.

Anyway... fast forward to when I'm about 8-9. I come in, run upstairs to fuss my friend Catherine, and I see her, happily curled up on my dad's bed, left eyeball hanging out by the optic nerve.

I scream, get my dad, cat goes to vets, gets eye removed, and half her whiskers shaved off. She hides for about a week, stitches come out as her eye lid heals together, within a month she's regrown her whiskers (vets said it wouldn't happen), and she's back out, killing stuff better than ever.

Eyes? Hah. Cats get by on pure malevolent evil.

And cute. They radiate cute like it's sound waves.

Hefty One

Postby Hefty One » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:26 am UTC

After looking at the second picture, I would say you have a freaking awesome cat...

I want it.

I can has?

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:17 am UTC

Holy crap sleepygamer, that's one helluva cat.

my friend Catherine bitches if you even pick her up, she thinks she's royalty.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:56 am UTC

Glad to hear your cat is doing well. As a cat person myself, I cringed upon first reading this thread.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

anouk

Postby anouk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:13 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:The cat of one of my roommates had one of it's eyes removed when it was young. It was kept in a jar. Now the cat is fat and old and doesn't like to be touched.

Spoiler'd for slightly graphic moments.

Spoiler:
My firstest evar cat (who died when she was a whopping 21) got hit by a car when she was very young, and her left eye was damaged and rendered blind.

NO MATTER.

She carried on. Tiny little tabby cat, most vicious fighter you would ever see. Once brought in 13 dead animals in one night, and fought a fox with her son.

Anyway... fast forward to when I'm about 8-9. I come in, run upstairs to fuss my friend Catherine, and I see her, happily curled up on my dad's bed, left eyeball hanging out by the optic nerve.

I scream, get my dad, cat goes to vets, gets eye removed, and half her whiskers shaved off. She hides for about a week, stitches come out as her eye lid heals together, within a month she's regrown her whiskers (vets said it wouldn't happen), and she's back out, killing stuff better than ever.

Eyes? Hah. Cats get by on pure malevolent evil.

And cute. They radiate cute like it's sound waves.

i think cats have such acute other senses that perhaps having one eye damaged doesn't matter as much as if it was a human having damaged sight in one eye.

i get to look after a friends cat this week! yay
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:15 am UTC

my friend Catherine is sitting at the other end of the bed. And I was quite disturbed by that picture. But at least your cat is getting better.

Cats don't show pain unless it really hurts. I've heard of some managing to return home with broken legs, etc.

One of my cats, almost feral thing (terrified of us, on the whole, but loved food), had a weird bone formation in her leg. It was a sort of bubble. It was hurting her and it looked fragile, so we had her put down. Post-mortem, the vets tried to get a biopsy of the bonebubble. They needed a power drill. And there was air inside. And the vet had only seen it once before, in an Alsatian.
WIERD.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

I'm glad that cat is doing better. So, what was the damage concerning the Pokecenter bills?

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

$320, including cab fare. :(

Giving eye drops and pills to a cat isn't easy, either. He fights like he thinks I'm trying to kill him, and after the first few times, he can tell what I'm up to earlier and earlier. I don't blame him though, I loathe eye drops too. Can't give them to myself at all. The biggest problem is keeping his mouth open, his head still, and his legs wrapped in a blanket all at once, and then literally shoving a pill down his throat. Yeah.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

When I had to give my friend Catherine pills I'd just grab him by the top of his mouth and drop the pill in then hold it shut till he swallowed...but your cat sounds like it's pretty hard to control.

It sucks giving them ear drops too, and then getting the medication to actually stay in their ear before they shake it all out. >.<

If you're doing both at the same time it might help to do them at different times, just to separate the insanity some.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

I do them half an hour apart, because some of the eye drops (there are two different kinds) seem to make him vomit... O_o I'm going to call tomorrow and ask why.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

katkov

Postby katkov » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:47 am UTC

No way to get her to eat it in her food?

asad137

Postby asad137 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:16 am UTC

anouk wrote:i think cats have such acute other senses that perhaps having one eye damaged doesn't matter as much as if it was a human having damaged sight in one eye.

I think you missed the part where the cat got its second eye removed and was still killing stuff.

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Giving eye drops and pills to a cat isn't easy, either.

my friend Catherine is 16+ lbs and strong as all hell. In order to give him medicine, I had to wrap him in a towel and sit on him (obviously not putting all my weight on him) and squeeze with my thighs so I would have both hands free to actually administer the medicine.

The good thing was that every time I did it, he hated me for a shorter and shorter period of time afterwards.

Asad

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:40 am UTC

my friend Catherine is a huge Maine Coon, and lost an eye a year or two back in a fight (I think it was probably a Bobcat), and is still a voracious hunter. He likes to put the corpse on the rug in front of the stove and carefully take it apart, eating everything except the gall bladder and the lower intestine, which he licks clean and leaves as a gift. He once brought in two rabbits in an evening.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Dibley wrote:my friend Catherine is a huge Maine Coon, and lost an eye a year or two back in a fight (I think it was probably a Bobcat), and is still a voracious hunter. He likes to put the corpse on the rug in front of the stove and carefully take it apart, eating everything except the gall bladder and the lower intestine, which he licks clean and leaves as a gift. He once brought in two rabbits in an evening.

I love it when cats do that. They are so proud.

AtomicCow

Postby AtomicCow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Noc wrote:Looks like your cat's got a bad case of the "blurs." I'd get that checked out immediately; if you don't take care of it soon, he might never come back into focus.

Did everyone ignore this post in light of more srs bzns?

Well played Noc.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

Dibley wrote:my friend Catherine is a huge Maine Coon

WIN. I love Maine Coons. my friend Catherine is almost certainly at least part Maine Coon too.

Asad

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

I had never heard of a Maine Coon before, those things are amazing. I might get one of those now instead of a Calico...

@DROP DATABASE, I'm glad to hear your cat is doing better now! I hate hearing stories about injured/sick cats.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

asad137 wrote:
anouk wrote:i think cats have such acute other senses that perhaps having one eye damaged doesn't matter as much as if it was a human having damaged sight in one eye.

I think you missed the part where the cat got its second eye removed and was still killing stuff.

He said "left eye" both times.

Return to “General”