Diagnose my car's speaker problems!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Diagnose my car's speaker problems!

Postby Rat » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

I know the internet can't fix my speakers but I would like suggestions if you have them.

I recently inherited a Dodge Caravan and I want to replace the stock radio with a cd receiver. Problem is, some of the speakers don't work:
front right dash, front right door, front left door.

I want to figure out what's wrong with them before I go putting anything new in.
Previous owner says "they should work."...

The speakers don't make any noise at all. No fuzz, no static, nothing. When I set the fade and balance to the front right, all sound cuts out.

So, if there's no noise, does that mean it's the wiring and not the speakers? The van has been through a lot of heavy smoking; maybe the smoke from the ash tray got behind the console and gave it cancer?
Do you think installing a new radio (properly) might fix any of the speakers?

D) Not enough information.

Socal Swimmer

Re: Diagnose my car's speaker problems!

Postby Socal Swimmer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Rat wrote:I know the internet can't fix my speakers but I would like suggestions if you have them.

I recently inherited a Dodge Caravan and I want to replace the stock radio with a cd receiver. Problem is, some of the speakers don't work:
front right dash, front right door, front left door.

I want to figure out what's wrong with them before I go putting anything new in.
Previous owner says "they should work."...

The speakers don't make any noise at all. No fuzz, no static, nothing. When I set the fade and balance to the front right, all sound cuts out.

So, if there's no noise, does that mean it's the wiring and not the speakers? The van has been through a lot of heavy smoking; maybe the smoke from the ash tray got behind the console and gave it cancer?
Do you think installing a new radio (properly) might fix any of the speakers?

D) Not enough information.

the speakers are either:
A) broken, replace them.
B) getting no power, so you should either trace the power wires and make sure they have power, or you could, using a voltmeter, make sure there is voltage at the speaker (when the radio + car are on, of course).
C) getting no signal, trace the signal wire and make sure its not broken. THis may be difficult/impossible.
D) the radio is putting out no signal, and needs to be replaced.

One tip: try pulling out the radio, and look at the back. If there are any obviously broken wires, try fixing them. Thats what I did to (sorta) fix my volvo's problem of not keeping radio presets.
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

kovan

Postby kovan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

Could be a number of problems. The fact that the front right speakers aren't working suggests it could be an issue with the amplifier or radio.

I would suggest getting a multimeter and checking the signal levels at the speakers and coming out of the amplifier/radio

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:02 am UTC

Some speakers work, but others don't? I think that's more likely a wiring problem than a radio one. I suggest taking apart one of the doors and seeing if the speaker is still hooked up.

Socal Swimmer

Postby Socal Swimmer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Miles Invictus wrote:Some speakers work, but others don't? I think that's more likely a wiring problem than a radio one. I suggest taking apart one of the doors and seeing if the speaker is still hooked up.

I suggest taking the whole car apart. It sounds the most fun.
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Pull the stereo out, take the wiring harness off, find a wiring diagram on the internet, and use a ohmmeter to read the resistance across the speaker wires. If you see infinite resistance, either you've gotten a broken wire or a burned out speaker coil. If you see less than 8 ohms, you've fused a speaker coil together. If it's all around 8-30 ohms, then your speakers and wires are fine, you should spend 20 bucks on a new stereo

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 am UTC

thanks for the advice, folks.

seems like the best first step would be to check out the back of the radio.

i really don't like listening to the radio. i plan on buying a cd player with an aux jack so i can hook up my zen. right now i'm just using headphones, which has its cons. either way i want to ditch the stock radio. it's a '99 caravan. nocdplayerwtf!

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

Yup, first check the back of the unit, it may have become partially unplugged. It happened to me, first one speaker died and I thought, "ok, I blew out a speaker, Ill need to buy new ones soon." Then another stopped working then 3 and 4 went, so I was listening to music through only my subwoofer. I took the cdplayer out and jammed the connection back together and its been working ever since.

Return to “General”