Your old forum sites

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ddxxdd

Your old forum sites

Postby ddxxdd » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:30 am UTC

What forum sites did you use to peruse before you got to XKCD?
I've seen people here reppin' 4chan, IGN, EZBoard, and Xuqa.

Also, if you left, then why did you leave?

Me? I posted at Xuqa.com, and I'm still there having fun.
I'm waiting for someone to say something worth sigging...

Sicarius Barritus

Re: Your old forum sites

Postby Sicarius Barritus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:09 am UTC

I post over at SRN @ retestrak.nl as "SpeZek"
I just come here to lurk, mostly, I'm not very keen on large fora. I get confused.
I've sort-of left, taken a break is more like it. Some of the people there...well, they are completely insane. In need of psychiatric help.
Case-in-point, there are a few that think the speed of light is...a conspiracy. No joke.
Also, satanist Jew bankers descended from aliens run the world.
Sigh...

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:13 am UTC

I'm not ashamed to admit that my twelve-year-old self posted the hell out of various pokemon forums, but I lost interest and the forums have all vanished besides. Most of them were on ezboard.

After that, I posted on a Homestar Runner fan forum for a while, but it also died. Simultaneous with the end of that, I was a frequent poster on the snopes forums, but haven't been posting there much at all recently. The reasons:

A) I built up 800 posts over several years' time (I was a much slower poster there than I am here) but I still felt like a newbie that few people recognized, just because there were so many frequent posters with high post counts, and because the community had been around for so long.
B) Tied in with that, the higher posters were a very tightly knit group, and there were definitely some attitudes of elitism there.
C) I was well outside the demographic of most of the posters there. It's hard for me to feel strongly tied to a community whose elite is heavily skewed towards women over 40.
D) With so many posters, it was hard to say anything original on most topics.

I still post there occasionally, but it definitely isn't my primary forum. I find that I can really only stay dedicated to one at a time, and I think I like this one better.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:45 am UTC

I was on VG Cats for a short while. I had browsed the board for a long time before joining, and I figured the people seemed alright.
How wrong I was.
The board was known as /vgc/ for a reason. Basically every harmless thing I said was turned against me and all the art I posted was stolen, reposted elsewhere, and linked to me to shove it in my face. A few people were banned in the process, but that didn't help that I had been mistreated so badly, even by moderators. I haven't been back since my short time on that board.

I chose this board 'cause I feel that it's a lot more intelligent and there's... fewer assholes. I'm still paranoid about my art and I watermark the hell out of it whenever I post it on the internet. Maybe I can find a niche here where I can safely display art and get critiques, not have it be stolen and needlessly flamed.
...It made more sense in my head.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:53 am UTC

TheForce.Net and some offshoot sites. Rebel Squadrons prior to that, but when I was there they didn't have a message board that worked all that great, most communication was via IRC and email lists. Old school stuff.

Alias

Postby Alias » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 am UTC

im on a reading festival site (tis a music festival over here). tis the unofficial one, much better than the real one :)

been there 5 years or so, racked up 14000 odd posts heh :oops:

met my girl via it too, good times
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:29 am UTC

My only forum experience before this one was a Harry Potter one. It shows. :P
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:33 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:My only forum experience before this one was a Harry Potter one. It shows. :P

It does indeed. Your trolling skills are mediocre at best and your bitterness and elitism is in need of serious work. You will learn, though.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Your trolling skills are mediocre at best and your bitterness and elitism is in need of serious work.
LOLFOOL!

...PWNT!

PS - Get off my lawn!
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

I used to be an epic lurker on the Gamefaqs Pokémon forums a few years ago.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

I started on the forum for CoolTests.com. It was full of spam and the administrators had a hard time with it. I became good friends with them, and eventually became an admin myself, and we cleaned the site up.

But one of the guys destroyed the site, all the good people left, so now it's just gone to hell.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Alias

Postby Alias » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

its sad when that happens. our forum has got silly at the moment, and dull. i sought refuge here.
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Rouse

Postby Rouse » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

Not much of a forum person but I've recently realised that I've been spending like 60% of my time lurking around here posting every so often.

I used to go on and was a fairly avid poster on http://www.legendaryfrog.com forums when I was maybe, 12 or so? Ah, I still remember getting into flash animation because of that site. The countless hours spent making stick figure animations..

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

As this is the first full-time job that gives me tons of downtime, this is the very first forum I started to post on. I'm pretty sure I picked right, you folks are nice.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

GameFAQs, the Animal Crossing Community Trading Post. Rock on.

Also, I still post on a site a friend made and promptly abandoned, a modest little invisionfree board ostensibly for writers but really for complaining to a few "close" friends about the minutiae of life. I'm the mod, actually, one of them.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

I've been on the Introversion Software forum since '06 and read but never posted on the PCG forum for a short while. Does the NationStates forum I created count? Jan-May '08, perhaps to be revived when NS2 is fully open, 'twas awesome while it lasted.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Alias

Postby Alias » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Just thinking back, ive been on a couple others too.

The PCFormat forum, and one called ionsurge. To this day im still not sure what the point of ionsurge was for, but i sure got banned a lot (and was always allowed back due to popular demand heh)

DW xkcd mods, im less of a, well, dick now

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

I used to post on the (now defunct) Megaphone Theology messageboard for fans of indie Britpop band My Life Story. It was a small community, but a nice one and I'm still in touch with some of the people from it.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I'm not ashamed to admit that my twelve-year-old self posted the hell out of various pokemon forums, but I lost interest and the forums have all vanished besides. Most of them were on ezboard.
Heh, I think my first forum was Raichu's Pokemon TCG Page Message Board, I think. An EZboard one. And it died a few months after I joined :/
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

I remember when I was still using America Online 3.0 and they were coming out with all of these Earthbound fan sites. I used to post around alot there. The community was pretty cool back then. I think starmen.net is one of the last remaining sites.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

My old forum is over at Dragonsworn. It is dedicated to the WoT series. Technically I never quite left, but the place is a ghost town now... It was the first forum I started frequenting regularly. I have been going there for about 7-8 years now and I have been a moderator of their poetry section for about 4.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

My only real experience with fora before this one was a private one I created with two of my friends. Well, at the time, they were only two random dudes that I had just met on a small, boring forum that was close to dying. The mods thought we posted too much and were close to throwing us out; it was then that we decided to make our own forum, where everyone was a moderator. It lasted well over a year. Good times :D
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

My first forum was MafiaScum.net, but I only played half a game.
The I found xkcd.
Since then, I have joined a few others but rarely contributed. Nowadays I just hang out here and lurk over at allaboutcircuits.net.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

Long before joining XKCD I used to post to a few newsgroups, mainly alt.tv.simpsons and alt.tasteless, as well as a couple of others.

I joined a couple of Yahoo Groups over time, dropped them, rejoined, and dropped a few again. The only one I'm a member of now deals with a newspaper comic strip, but since the strip is now running in reruns from 30 years ago, the group is slowly dying.

I've been in a few MSN Groups over the years as well. Most of them dealt with the paranormal (as did a couple of Yahoo Groups), and after they seemed to be dead, I dropped them. The only MSN Group I'm in now deals with pet care, and I really can't drop it even though it's slowly dying - I'm a manager.

As far as PHP boards, I'm a member of a couple of paranormal boards, one I've been a member of since 2003 or 2004, another since 2005. The latter I've been more active on, since the people there seem to be a lot nicer. Other PHP boards I've been on I no longer frequent, either because I didn't like the people, or I'm in no way any longer affiliated with the topic of the forums. For example, I was active for a while on a PHP board dealing with XM Satellite Radio. I quit going to the forum after I unsubscribed from XM. Probably one of the darkest days of my life. Other boards I quit going to either because the discussions were getting too juvenile, or else they were just dead.
PRG

An important message for you:

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

I used to post on the Warseer forum a lot more.

I'm going to overtake my post-count there soon. :D
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

I posted alot on FinalFantasyForums.net and I still am active q fair bit there.

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

I used to post on the Dream Theater message board a few years ago, but then it got shut down or moved or something.
I actively post on the Planet F1 forum along with this one. I'm far less active here, though.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

I technically still am on the seribii forums, but almost never post there. Deviantart is not what I would call a forum, but that's the place I visit the most, other than here. I was also on a while at Stoptazmo, before I found another manga scanlation site.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

My first forum I remember was a pretty small Worms forum, where I almost reached 2000 posts in a couple of years. I think I joined in 2003 and quit visiting it in like 2005. I also used to frequent the Game Maker forums, back when I used it to make simple, boring games. A few hundred posts. I was also an active member of a Placebo fan forum for a while.

Then I got interested in learning Latin, and joined Textkit. From there, I moved on to Unilang (a language forum I still frequent), and from there to the ZBB (a conlanging forum I'm not that active in anymore).

I'm also a member of a Swedish music production forum.

I just wasted ten minutes of my life writing a post no one will ever care about.

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

I wasted a lot of time on HL Fallout around the time when HL2 came out.
I remember the speculations before the release, then the fun with Garry's mod. :)
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

...So many.

Shadiboards. My place. I still post there, of course.
Gamerulers. Now private.
Gamefaqs. Still post from time to time.
Jul. I'm still active there.
Acmlm's Board / Board2 Meh. Not very active. I don't go there anymore.
||Board Shithole now.
LinkandFriends(Archive) Dead now. Userbase is now at Shadiboards, my place.
Questionable Content. For a comic. I post there maybe twice a week.
Sinfest. Not really moderated, and some people can be dicks. Post there sometimes.
Order of the Stick. I post there pretty frequently still. Mostly lurk, though.
The Strokes Message Board. A lot of stupid members, but at least they have good taste in music. I don't post there that often, and it doesn't allow you avatars... What the hell.

And uh, more. But some I can't remember, some are gone now... You know how it goes.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Let's see
My first message boards were the ones at Code Lyoko
Than I was at Gaia (shudder way behind me)
Than it was over at Podtacular
And than Here and /b/
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

The Crossroads (Ultima Online, Lake Superior) 1998-1999 Dead
3eBB (a PG-PG-13ish 3rd edition D&D board) 2001-2005? 6? Dead
Hello Monica (A spinnoff of 3eBB run by a transperson with a Hello Kitty infatuation as a place where 3eBBers could discuss things like Jesus buttplugs. More or less died when she got married) 2002?-2004? Dead
The Bridge (Spinnoff of Hello Monica, run by a ?16? year old cracker) 2004?-2005? Dead
Pimptania (spinnoff of Hello Monica, run by .. a dude.) 2004?-Present (sorta. I'm semi-retired there, I guess, as I pop back over and read it every now and again) Alive!
Dragon Avenue (reincarnation of 3eBB for 4th ed) - only counting it because every four or five months I go check it and possibly post. I think I have seven posts there. Alive!
Here. From whenever it says I joined to now.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

When I was just a wee 11-year-old, I spent my time on the IGN forums. (Heartless529). Then I phased out of there and began to get into *ahem* Runescape, so I was a member of a Runescape forum called Sal's something or other as Dark_Minwu. Anyway. I was on there for a while, but I quit Runescape after about a year. Eventually I was playing WoW, so I was on the main WoW forums (the whining! The whining!) and various guild forums, as Blar, the Warlock from Rexxar. 7chan got thrown in there too. Then, about a year ago, quit WoW. Played some starcraft with a clan for a few months. Found xkcd. Lurked xkcd. Joined xkcd. Think I'll stick around. (All that ads up to five years, for the curious.)

Oh! I forgot. I was on the nick.com forums before IGN. Not for long though.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:15 am UTC

A loooong time a go I frequented the marvel.com message boards.
I'm not going back. I've looked in there a few times more recently and I do not like what I see.

besides, Marvel and I have pretty much parted ways.

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:21 am UTC

The first forum I joined was flashplayer.com, now ugoplayer. It's sorta dead over there now though. Been there since 2004, almost 15k posts D:
Other forums I go on now: extremeoverclocking.com, crysis-online.com, 21stcenturywarfare.com (BF2 tournament I'm in), overclock.net, and a few other computer related ones every once and a while.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:36 am UTC

The first forum I frequented was http://www.siegenetwork.com, which was a dungeon siege forum. This was a while ago. I stopped because I stopped playing dungeon siege.

After that, I moved onto Morrowind, and the official Elder Scrolls forums. Partway through that I started posting the the forums of Psychodog Studios, the people who created the Better Bodies and Better Clothes mods for Morrowind. After I stopped playing Morrowind I continued posting on both for a while. I stopped posting on the ES forums during the runup to Obvlivion, but I stuck to Psychodog Studios until it more or less died. It still exists, but there are only a handful of people who actually come and talk.

After that I moved on to the AtheistNetwork.com forums, because every friend (and "friend") I had in real life was at least somewhat religious, and some of them were very religious. Ironically, the most religious ones were the ones who cared the least about me being an atheist, but I went through a bit of an 'semi-angry atheist' phase in life here and the forum fit pretty well. Once I got to college (where probably 40% of the people are atheists and probably 40% more identify with a religion but completely ignore it) that phase passed, and I stopped really caring nearly so much. I've also become a lot less annoyed with religion in general--although there are times when it still annoys the hell out of me and realized that there are far worse problems in the world to care about than just those caused by religion. Somewhere in this period I discovered xkcd, and came back occasionally to check for new comics. Then I forgot about it.

Then, a few months later, I came back again, started reading it every day, and joined up here. Which brings us to about present day.

Tillan

Postby Tillan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:36 am UTC

I used to post in the Dark Horse manga forums alot (BantoBoy) but i just lost intrest after a while as the new member came who didnt like the same manga as me, and old members left. The massive break they had in bringing out alot of manga didnt help...
I lurk in the giantitp.com forums occationally, but i dont think ild ever sign up for an account there. I mostly just read what people make of the various comics, and my opinions would mostly be supurfulous, plus that wouldnt be enough to keep me posting anyways. Same deal with the Megatokyo boards.
Now work damnit! No, dont carry on posting here, you're a very busy person. work work work!!

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

I grew up on h2g2.
I think it was probably the best community I could have hoped for at the time, and I certainly think it taught me how to do things like not troll, given that the place was/is heavily moderated and populated largely by silver surfers with the occasional university student.
I left because the site expanded and exploded after being there three/four years [that and complicating relationships among the fairly tight friend groups I had there], but at the moment I'm trying to settle back into it.

Other than xkcd, I don't really do forums.
Oh, I mean, I guess there's hl2.net and phwonline, but one of those is a protracted in-joke and the other is...the same? Anyway, just blame Mother Superior, it's his fault.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Oh, I mean, I guess there's hl2.net and phwonline, but one of those is a protracted in-joke and the other is...the same? Anyway, just blame Mother Superior, it's his fault.

It is, it really is.

I, too, mostly grew up on h2g2, which was a lovely and protected piece of the net. After a while, I also started frequenting the swedish PCG-forums, which was... kind of the opposite. The people there were nice, but it evolved into a place where the people who had been around forever (including me but like all forums I've ever been a part of, no matter how long I've been there people never remember me. Seriously.) ruled the place, new guys got treated like shit until their postcount went up into four digits, and even then they usually had to work hard. Still, for all its nastiness, once you got accepted, it was pretty nice. Political discussions a plenty, angry people vs other angry people, but also relationship-threads that stretched on for five hundred pages and had to be closed and resurrected by the mods just cause they had gotten too clogged up, and some of the funniest internal memes ever, even if they often were at the expense of others. I also had one of the coolest ever roleplaying experiences there. Now, about a year ago, one of the mods (who actually worked as editor of the Swedish PCGamer magazine at the time, and got hired as a reporter there because of his activity on the forums) said they were gonna update the forum big-time, and asked for suggestions. After a very long thread where pretty much every request was: Better servers, new software, but do not remove any of the old threads or posts, management said: You got it.

...about five months ago I logged in as per usual to find they had wiped the whole forum clean, deleted all the threads and users and replaced the old, comforting phpbb with some ugly piece of myspace-wannabe trash with some idiot we had never heard of who sent a disgustingly cheery e-mail to all us grumpy old-timers saying: "Hi cutiez!" And all of this without even a hint of a warning. Nothing. Not even an announcement the day before. Everything was just gone. And then they all acted surprised when we weren't happy. Go figure. Some of the old-timers created a new forum for those of us who hate change, I've tried going there but it's not the same. It's kinda sad, really. Das Forum was my second home after h2g2 and became my first home for quite a while after I left hootoo.

Other than xkcd, I now frequent hl2.net (Old-timer that no-one remembers. Even despite the fact that I'm a mod.) and PHWOnline, though not as much as I used to since the owner discovered his other website was much cooler and said "fuck you" and shut down PHW without warning. Took the staff (which included me at the time) a few days to convince him to keep the forums up at least. Which sucks cause I used to post my comic on the main site which no longer exists, nor does the old comic-making structure and most of the old posters have left.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Return to “General”