New Hobby?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chai Kovsky

New Hobby?

Postby Chai Kovsky » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:33 am UTC

I'm a bit introverted, so a lot of time I would normally spend with friends socializing is spent on my computer browsing fora, reading the news, or checking Facebook. Since updates to all of the above are insufficiently instantaneous to be a consistent source of entertainment, I need to do something else to add color to my dull college life.

So I humbly request help from my fellow xkcdans to help me find a new hobby. Preferably not that damnable grindquest MMORPG that has addicted my roommate. Something obsessive that can be performed with full attention for hours at a time is preferred. Also, assume this computer is about 5-7 years old and has the processing power of a fruit fly. It less runs Crysis than chokes with Solitaire.

Thank you!
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: New Hobby?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:39 am UTC

Make chain mail.

Just get a dowel-roller (make one for 10 bucks) some good pliers / clippers, and some free time! Make money and bikinis.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:22 am UTC

Something obsessive that can be performed with full attention for hours at a time?

Take up a marksmanship sport.

Example: I have recently landed in a situation where I am able to purchase a rifle and go somewhere I can use it. The great thing about this activity is that there are aspects of it that you can do at the range or at home. At home? You want to keep it clean and in working order, and if it's a good firearm you can get obsessive on this point. Cleaning the barrel until it glistens like summer, oiling the trigger assembly, using an old toothbrush to clean the bolt carrier assembly. At the range? Well, shoot it obviously. Sight it in if you get a new sight. Going for tight groups and accuracy at even a short distance takes concentration, and more so as the distance increases. If you are going for accuracy and not just shooting to hear something go bang you can easily spend a couple hours at the range. And if you buy an AR-15 variant there are lots of accessories you can add to it, which just gives you more stuff to calibrate and try out at the range. Learn to field strip it, then learn to do it blindfolded, then learn to reassembly it blindfolded, then do it timed.

Or pick up an instrument.

Drums are always fun, but their loud and expensive and take up room. Maybe a cheap keyboard, I know guitar center has a pretty nice 88 key keyboard for around 300, I imagine a 60 key keyboard would be even cheaper. I have an Optimus MD-50 that's probably around 10 years old, it's gotta be real cheap now if you can find one, but it does that job just fine. Learn to read sheet music (it's not as hard as some would have you think) and print out some for some simple songs (I learned on NIN). Hours of concentration? Indeed.

frosty

Postby frosty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:28 am UTC

5-7 years old?

sounds like it could run counterstrike 1.6 without any problems :)

Alias

Postby Alias » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:45 am UTC

pick up a bass :)
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

frosty

Postby frosty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:21 am UTC

Alias wrote:pick up a bass :)

Spoiler:

or
Spoiler:

?

Alias

Postby Alias » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 am UTC

fish obv

Spoiler:
actually no, the guitar lol
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TADpole

Postby TADpole » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Well, with November fast approaching, I suggest NaNoWriMo. In case you haven't heard of it, NaNoWriMo is essentially where a bunch of crazy awesome people try to write a novel (That is, fiction of 50,000 words or greater) within the month of November. Winners get...a novel of 50,000 words or greater.

It's insane, it's a ton of fun, it's creative, and it IS obsessive. When you have to write at least 1,666 words a DAY just to make it through the month, you really have to focus on it and wrack your brain to get through. Best of all, there's a forum dedicated to the idiots cool people who try to do it, so not only will it keep you entertained, but you can be social while you're at it!

Other than that, and I know it sounds kind of stupid or old-ladyish, but maybe take up crochetting or knitting? A bunch of my girl friends in college did either one of the other, and we'd often spend out free time either a) teaching one another how to do the other (ie, I knew crochetting, so my friend taught me how to knit), or b) making gifts for each other. I made Harry Potter scarves for people, my friend made me a hat for when it got cold in Winter, etc... it's something that you can do fairly mindlessly by yourself, but is also good to do in groups. Especially for the introverted, knitting/crochetting groups are great, because you can just as easily go on autopilot and talk to your fellow group members while you're working, or you can keep to yourself and just listen while you knit/crochet.

People might look at you odd until they see the bangin' Ravenclaw scarf you made, and then suddenly they're interested too. :P

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Surgery wrote:Take up a marksmanship sport.

Would love to, was actually rather good at riflery. But I suspect my college might look at me funny.

Surgery wrote:Or pick up an instrument.

Fortunately, I do read music as a classical vocalist with 8 years of piano behind me. We even have an 88-key keyboard in my room (because of my composition major roommate). I did rather like piano being behind me, but I certainly could try picking up a fish bass.

As for knitting, I would be the best knitter ever if I could ever get past the third row. It's really weird, but my knitting always fucks up there. I don't understand why. ARGH!
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

Learn circuits. You have your choice of repairing old crap, building new crap, or hacking random crap. You can actually make pretty good stuff, and spend lots of nice hours designing/soldering/debugging. Soldering is actually a hobby in it's own right- plenty mindless, but keeps you occupied. And this is one hobby where the results can be used on a daily basis!

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Do what one of my friends is doing, and build a plasma-phone.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

I have a semi-new hobby-I've started changing the cheesiest songs ever (For example, Disco Inferno) and making them Metal.

I'm pondering on the idea of doing Never Gonna Give You Up, and Rick Rolling my schools Rock Night, but... we'll see-I've not decided yet.

Anemia

Postby Anemia » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

Build something, like a gigantic electromagnet. You get the point, start a project. something you really want to do :) Be creative, paint, write, listen to music or call someone (okey that might not be a real "hobby" but...), there's a billions of hobbies ^^

Or you could get a pet which takes 90 % of your time :) (a dog for example, like a chi... damn i cant spell it's namn, but you know these small rat-like things with to small legs to walk on their own ^^)

edit: typo

Cheshire Smile

Postby Cheshire Smile » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

^ chihuahua.

I only know this because of that insufferable movie that came out last Friday.

For the love of gawd, OP, do NOT get one of those giant mutant rats. If you must get a pet that takes up a ton of your time. Get a horse. ...no, get two horses, and send one to me. Pure white, if you'd please, with the requisite prince sitting on top.

Thankyouverymuch.
“Once upon a time, I was a girl. Now, I am the idea that once there was a girl that was me.”

20/F/Florida/Taken/Garth Nix/LONGHAIR!!!
[Age/sex/location/heart's status/favorite author/fetish]

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Take up Dungeons and Dragons, or better yet an RPG which isn't DnD (4th edition is the worst so far). Read the rules, know the rules, love the rules. Become the rules. Start a group, meet weekly. Start a second group, meet weekly on a different day.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Raiku wrote:I'm pondering on the idea of doing Never Gonna Give You Up, and Rick Rolling my schools Rock Night, but... we'll see-I've not decided yet.

Do it. Do iiiiiiiiit.

As for the chihuahua, we're only allowed to have fish in my dorm and I think they might be an insufficient hobby.

DaMullet wrote:Take up Dungeons and Dragons, or better yet an RPG which isn't DnD (4th edition is the worst so far). Read the rules, know the rules, love the rules. Become the rules. Start a group, meet weekly. Start a second group, meet weekly on a different day.

I've actually heard some good things about 4e from my obsessive friends, especially compared to 3.5. I'm slowly learning Shadowrun, but I feel like a smacktard learning the most basic things about RPGs at the advanced age of 19 almost 19. I feel weird about programming languages for the same reason: I completely know nothing and most people my age seem to know impressively large amounts. I could easily see myself doing either, but I don't know where to start.
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Cheshire Smile

Postby Cheshire Smile » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:I feel like a smacktard learning the most basic things about RPGs at the advanced age of 19 almost 19.

Seriously, I'm with you there. I tried to get involved in a DnD game when I was 19, but I just didn't get it. The DM was at my house (Just a friendly visit to me and my BF of the time), and I thought he was explaining to me the background of the game. But then my ex started responding, and I thought "Wait...he isn't part of the game yet...", and then I realized we were actually playing a "trial round". Auugghhhh.

I LOVE online, text-based RPing. But in-person voice-based RPing? Noooooothankyou. I'm sure LARPing would be even harder to get into. o__o;;
“Once upon a time, I was a girl. Now, I am the idea that once there was a girl that was me.”

20/F/Florida/Taken/Garth Nix/LONGHAIR!!!
[Age/sex/location/heart's status/favorite author/fetish]

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

I agree with Cheshire. A horse is a much better pet. They might take a little longer to train, but they are a much better pet in the long run. I recommend a "horse whisperer" approach. :D

Return to “General”