Saddest day ever

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Saddest day ever

Postby Jesse » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

Ghost Gerbil

So...

Postby Ghost Gerbil » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:26 pm UTC

So does that mean that his irradiated nephew will avenge him while keeping his identity secret until a civil war causes a registration act that causes him to unmask himself in front of the whole world?

Or has that been done before?
Nerd Power.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

I'm confused, the makers of this website know they are cartoon characters right?
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:59 pm UTC

:cry:
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Ghost Gerbil

WHAT!?

Postby Ghost Gerbil » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:06 am UTC

Gordon wrote:I'm confused, the makers of this website know they are cartoon characters right?

"Cartoon characters" Gordon? Really? If they are all "cartoons" then who saved New York City from supervillians such as the Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, and dread Mysterio! I have stock in Wayne Enterprises, is Bruce Wayne a cartoon? Hmm? Pah! I gotta go now, Mom says my Hot Pockets are done. (Why can't she bring them down to the basement?)
Nerd Power.

spacermase

Postby spacermase » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:17 am UTC

Not to appear cynically and unsympathetic, but...

As there ever been a comic book superhero who actually stayed dead?

I mean, I know Captain America doesn't have any "true" superpowers (compared to Superman and the like), but still...death doesn't seem that permanent in the Marvel Universe.
"You're all freaks, sir. But you always have been freaks. Life is a freak. That's it's hope and glory."
-Comment on humanity, The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:22 am UTC

Only because the marvel universe keeps rebooting.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:31 am UTC

Captain america being shot is almost as good as Bush getting shot, i'm still keeping my fingers crossed
(Let's face it, lamest hero ever after superman)
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:33 am UTC

spacermase wrote:Not to appear cynically and unsympathetic, but...

As there ever been a comic book superhero who actually stayed dead?

I mean, I know Captain America doesn't have any "true" superpowers (compared to Superman and the like), but still...death doesn't seem that permanent in the Marvel Universe.

It's 'cause they didn't die in Canada. Duh.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:36 am UTC

Captain america being shot is almost as good as Bush getting shot, i'm still keeping my fingers crossed
(Let's face it, lamest hero ever after superman)

Honestly, I liked him. He tended to embody what America *should* be, rather than what it *is*.

Which is why, if I'm not mistaken, in the Superhero Civil War plotline, he actually took sides against the american government.

Good stuff.

They/them

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:17 am UTC

Darnit! Cap was my favorite marvel superhero, too...

Oh well, it's marvel, so he's not gona stay dead for too long. Just ask any of the X-men, they've all died, like, seven times a piece.

Intriguing note though (also a bit of a spoiler if you haven't read Civil War 7, you've been warned)...

The Punisher apparently picked up Cap's mask after he discarded it at the end of the big fight in registration.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:06 am UTC

I would like to point out that, ever since Heroes Reborn, Captain America has been dveeloping really well. They've really been exploring his character and what makes him who he is.

It really rankles when people refer to comic book characters (Or the books themselves) as lame despite having never taken the time to really look at them. The quality of artwork has risen drastically (Just look at Alex Ross) and characters tend to be a lot deeper than the one-dimensional heroes of old. Hell, it's not been that long since a graphic novel won the World Fantasy Award (Although they hurriedly changed the rules to ensure it never happened again.)

Sorry for that, but I'm sure other people feel the same when their work is threatened by people. Like I'm sure some of you get sick of the maths/science as boring that seems to permeate common culture.

Edit: Also, he can't stay dead, as I am writing a script next week for a one-off story, although to be fair, they could publish it anyway as a Memoirs of the Captain.

Code J

Postby Code J » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:01 am UTC

Rest in peace Cap'n, rest in peace...

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

Jesster, do you actually write for marvel?

They/them

boethius78

Postby boethius78 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:43 pm UTC

Belial wrote:if I'm not mistaken, in the Superhero Civil War plotline, he actually took sides against the american government.

I'd have thought anyone pro-America would take sides against the American government...

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

Exactly.

They/them

rockintom99

Postby rockintom99 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

And? Captain America is lamer than Superman, and Superman sucks pretty hard.

Batman > all.
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

I don't write specifically for Marvel, but I have written scripts which have then been submitted. I did some Ultimate Spider-Man ones that were then given to another writer to take the basic idea and re-write it appropriately (And with less swearing). I got paid, but not credited for those. I'm writing a Captain America one now which I hope will be taken, especially after all the Civil War stuff it's really appropriate.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

That's...pretty sweet.

I should probably ever read anything from the civil war plotline. One of my friends who's a big Marvel fan has been alternately praising and hating on it, from week to week. Which means it's probably at least *interesting* enough to give a read.

They/them

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

I'm waiting til they release it in graphic novel format, but I've been given synopses each week by my friend Sparx.

Spectre
Assimilation & Processing

Postby Spectre » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

I remember a pseudo battle between Cap and my favourite Marvel superhero (Iron Man). I say pseudo battle because you really can't compare the two. But anyways. Cap seemed like a character that was indeed past his prime even then.

I think he simply outlived his relevance in the general scheme of things. His "power" lied in his [aformentioned] embodiment of the strength of his country at the time of his creation.

I think the key to the longevity of any comic character is to link them to something that is inherently "bigger/higher than us", and always will remain that way. Captain America was... America. A supersoldier with a kick-ass shield. That's about it.

And I'm sorry, but neither he nor Superman were the lamest superheroes ever. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...:

I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

Captain America has in no way lost his relevance. He's been forced to adapt, like many did in the Heroes Reborn saga, but he was still very relevant. Here you have a hero who is the natural leader (Which is where he works best, in a team like The Avengers) and who is morally bound to do what he believes is right for America (Leading to him being put away when his stance against America's use of the bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki set him against the President). An interesting point was also raised in Heroes Reborn, that here you have this figure of the perfect American, who is muscular, blonde-haired and blue-eyed; in every way the perfect Aryan.

I used to be damning about many superheroes, Cap and Supes included, but I've discovered that with some thought and imagination each character has a depth and a relevance that makes them worthwhile

(Except Captain Canada).

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:I would like to point out that, ever since Heroes Reborn, Captain America has been dveeloping really well. They've really been exploring his character and what makes him who he is.

It really rankles when people refer to comic book characters (Or the books themselves) as lame despite having never taken the time to really look at them. The quality of artwork has risen drastically (Just look at Alex Ross) and characters tend to be a lot deeper than the one-dimensional heroes of old. Hell, it's not been that long since a graphic novel won the World Fantasy Award (Although they hurriedly changed the rules to ensure it never happened again.)

Sorry for that, but I'm sure other people feel the same when their work is threatened by people. Like I'm sure some of you get sick of the maths/science as boring that seems to permeate common culture.

Edit: Also, he can't stay dead, as I am writing a script next week for a one-off story, although to be fair, they could publish it anyway as a Memoirs of the Captain.

Quoted For Truth.

Alex Ross is the Man, and post 9/11, Captain America has become cooler. Also Daredevil, Hulk, Captain Marvel and Alias/Pulse are going in quite cool and quite interesting directions at the moment.

Spiderman, Avengers and X-Men have got less interesting though :)

(btw, the Marvel universe doesn't keep rebooting - that's DC with all their alternate universes and time crises :) The Ultimates etc are the only Marvel reboot I know of, and they're a damn good one.)

Return to “General”