Lucid Dreaming

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LSK

Lucid Dreaming

Postby LSK » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Lately I've been trying to have a lucid dream. I've been 'reality testing' a bit lately, but I always forget to do so when I'm dreaming. Suspiciously.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

I've never deliberately had a lucid dream, but I have them accidentally all the time. With interesting results.
My hobby > yours. (yes, that is me)
singing about potatoes wrote:Theoretical-boobs and I both have dinghy access.
Fluff wrote:That sounds a bit kinky. :o

rockintom99

Postby rockintom99 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:33 pm UTC

I still have yet to do one, boo :(
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

Me too :(
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:59 pm UTC

No, I've never been able to lucid dream either, although I taught myself to remember my dreams rather accurately.

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:No, I've never been able to lucid dream either, although I taught myself to remember my dreams rather accurately.

TELL TELL!!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

Just have a notepad by your bed and the minute you wake up write down anything you can remember about your dreams. Now I've got to the point where I don't have to write them down, I can remember them on my own.

That said, most of them are quite sad. I tend to dream about what I've read, or being with lady-friends of mine that I like.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:
Jesster wrote:No, I've never been able to lucid dream either, although I taught myself to remember my dreams rather accurately.

TELL TELL!!
Oh god, don't get us into dream war-stories. I have some that would turn most of my friends into quivering blobs comprised entirely of hilarity. Not because they were particularly funny dreams, but because I behave so entirely unlike myself in them. The lucid ones are almost as bad.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

Two issues here,the first is that I can never tell the difference between normal dreams and reality, that is, in my dreams I have a distinct set of memories created for that dream so as to be able to properly interact with the dream, after the dream i have to think if what i know as fact really is that. The other is that i can't really imagine why i'd want to control my dreams, they're fucked up enough as it is.

Like last night I dreamt I was staying at my best friend's house for some reason, except she didn't look like my best friend and despite the fact that she seemed to have a giant mansion, I was sleeping on the floor in her room. Either way i was there for a stopover so I had to leave early in the morning. So I walk into her ensuite bathroom and see her standing in her bath/shower, butt naked and remarkably fat (neither of which she ever is around me). After that i then went down the stairs instead of taking the lift and the stairs were in one storey runs so i had to navigate a series of corridors to get to the next floor down. Eventually I got to the ground floor where she has an underground train station, said hello to her dad as he walked by and waited for the train. Then i woke up.

That dream makes no sense.
Heaven is for the hedonist

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:That said, most of them are quite sad. I tend to dream about what I've read, or being with lady-friends of mine that I like.

yeaaaaah. aside from the raptor dreams i've had some interesting ones about friends and coworkers. and then the raptors forced their way into those dreams too. its amazing what "oh shit we're going to die" can do for a friendship. Raptors are sexy like that? O_o;;

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

I've had some interesting lady-friends dreams as well...but then, I have few lady-friends who I haven't been sexually intimate with at some point, so I have a bit more to go on than the rest of you.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

Nonono, not those kind of ladyfriend dreams!

I mean ladyfriend dreams where we hang around, and all the clothes stay on.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

I don't think I've ever gone all the way with a girl in a dream, I normally end up in a 70s style bawdy farce where the girl's lying in bed but i keep having to do other stuff

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

I once had lesbian sex with some women on a leather sofa in the middle of a public place...we were told to move, so we picked up the sofa and carried on later...

I also once had sex with this guy who I've never felt any feelings for, it was very weird!!

Oh we were talking about dreams!?

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:I once had lesbian sex with some women on a leather sofa in the middle of a public place...we were told to move, so we picked up the sofa and carried on later...

I also once had sex with this guy who I've never felt any feelings for, it was very weird!!

Oh we were talking about dreams!?
So were those in fact dreams, or are you messing with my/everyone's head?

Honestly, I find the second story far more disturbing than the first one.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

singing about potatoes wrote:Honestly, I find the second story far more disturbing than the first one.

too right, I demand more lesbian loving

Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:07 pm UTC

I've had some lucid dreams, but they're usually pretty lame and don't last very long before I wake up. Also my memory sucks, I have to write my dreams down, otherwise I forget, especially if I go back to sleep again afterwards.

Has anyone seen the movie waking life?

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

shadebug wrote:
singing about potatoes wrote:Honestly, I find the second story far more disturbing than the first one.

too right, I demand more lesbian loving
Well no, I don't find homosexuality disturbing at all. I was referring to the bit with having sex on the couch in public and what they did when asked to move as being less disturbing than having sex with someone you weren't attracted to.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

But if more people practised the second one I would get more sex. So that would be good.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:16 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:But if more people practised the second one I would get more sex. So that would be good.
But it would be SHITTY sex if they weren't attracted to you.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

It is better than watching Birmingham vs Derby.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

So is getting kicked in the ribs.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

[quote=jesster]It is better than watching Birmingham vs Derby.
[/quote]
Belial wrote:So is getting kicked in the ribs.
I believe the proper term for this sort of situation is "FACE!"

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

I dream about being slightly more awesome then I am now.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=584

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

singing about potatoes wrote:
Jesster wrote:But if more people practised the second one I would get more sex. So that would be good.

Actually this was far from shitty sex lol....It started off really weird, basically I was trying to do my maths paper and he was helping me and we were in a dressing room (y'know with the bulbs around the mirror) and then suddenly it all changed...
Maths and sex often appear together in my dreams... :? Well when I say often I mean in the three or four times...

The lesbian dream was weird cos in my dream I could feel the leather...that was much more fascinating in the dream, I've never really felt texture in a dream before.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:35 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:

Actually this was far from shitty sex lol....It started off really weird, basically I was trying to do my maths paper and he was helping me and we were in a dressing room (y'know with the bulbs around the mirror) and then suddenly it all changed...
Maths and sex often appear together in my dreams... :? Well when I say often I mean in the three or four times...

The lesbian dream was weird cos in my dream I could feel the leather...that was much more fascinating in the dream, I've never really felt texture in a dream before.
Math and sex, huh? I've had that combination ONCE in a dream, where I started trying to figure out the surface-area to pleasure ratio in terms of male genitalia in the middle of sex.

Also in the "school-and-sex" category, my first time interrupted a heated discussion about the battle of Cannae.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am UTC

I think the only lucid dream I can remember was when like... I was talking to the devil and he said if I did something in the dream I would die in real life so I chickened out >.>

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:48 am UTC

Never had a lucid dream. I think I've had a pre-lucid dream(where you can almost tell it's a dream) once or twice though.

As for remembering, I can never remember more than bits and pieces.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:50 am UTC

I've felt everything in dreams, including pain before.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:57 am UTC

singing about potatoes wrote:I've had some interesting lady-friends dreams as well...but then, I have few lady-friends who I haven't been sexually intimate with at some point, so I have a bit more to go on than the rest of you.

Either you have way too few friends, or way too much sex. Also, generalizing "the rest of [us]" is a li'l bit annoying.

Often times I wake up from a dream, decide I prefer the dream, and go back to sleep. It always starts out the same as it was before I woke up, then slowly devolves into a creepy mess.

I've never had to patience to explore lucid dreaming thoroughly, but from what I hear it's really disturbing once you get it to work. Sort of like sleeping is a hallucinogen, which are generally bad for people...
Last edited by Owijad on Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:01 am UTC

I can't really remember my dreams.

I can remember snippets, like a snapshot or two (One dream I had, when I was 5, left two images in my mind. Both were black and white, and the background was entirely gray. The first was of a pair of scissors, the second of a syringe. I do remember that there was a horrible feeling of terror associated with them though.). Or a low quality 5 second video (Chasing myself around a mall, when the me I'm chasing is 5 years old. I don't think I caught myself.).

As far as I know, I've never had a lucid dream, but I may just not be remembering.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:05 am UTC

I once had a dream where I was on a space mission to Uranus or Neptune and the window somehow opened. For some reason I wasn't sucked out even though the air was rushing through the window but when I tried to scream for help the screams didn't carry to the rest of the crew. Shortly after, I woke up, but then promptly fell asleep again, and the same thing happened. This happened several times.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:17 am UTC

Owijad wrote:Either you have way too few friends, or way too much sex. Also, generalizing "the rest of [us]" is a li'l bit annoying.
Just not many FEMALE friends, and not necessarily sex, just sexplay. Oh, and by "the rest of you" I meant "all the people who are saying they had dreams about their female friends who they haven't done anything with."

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:22 am UTC

Owijad wrote:Either you have way too few friends, or way too much sex. Also, generalizing "the rest of [us]" is a li'l bit annoying.
Just not many FEMALE friends, and not necessarily sex, just sexplay. Oh, and by "the rest of you" I meant "all the people who are saying they had dreams about their female friends who they haven't done anything with."

Ah. Reasonable.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Postby Fluff » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC

LSK wrote:Lately I've been trying to have a lucid dream. I've been 'reality testing' a bit lately, but I always forget to do so when I'm dreaming. Suspiciously.

I have lucid dreams quite frequently. Sometimes I can control them, and sometimes I can't. I get them more when I've been sleep deprived. They can be a bit scary if you don't know what's happening.

If you tinker with your serotonin balance a bit, you'll be more likely to have lucid dreams. It's sort of related to sleep paralysis/night terrors.

Edit to add:

My dreams have always been incredibly vivid and detailed, and I am normally flying about from place to place rather than walking.

musicinmybrain

Postby musicinmybrain » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Just have a notepad by your bed and the minute you wake up write down anything you can remember about your dreams.

Hmm... 99.3852871% of the time, that's nothing, even immediately after I wake up. Not much to work with.

roaikgid

Postby roaikgid » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

I had a lucid dream once. It only lasted for about 10 seconds before I woke up so all I did was fly out of the subway station I was in. The only dream I remember in full is the one where I was being chased by raptors to the edge of a cliff where I then climbed down the rope suspended in mid-air there and entered a mcdonalds at the bottom of the cliff.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:59 pm UTC

roaikgid wrote:I had a lucid dream once. It only lasted for about 10 seconds before I woke up so all I did was fly out of the subway station I was in. The only dream I remember in full is the one where I was being chased by raptors to the edge of a cliff where I then climbed down the rope suspended in mid-air there and entered a mcdonalds at the bottom of the cliff.
You entered a McDonalds? I'd have let the raptors eat me first.

roaikgid

Postby roaikgid » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:43 am UTC

roaikgid wrote:I had a lucid dream once. It only lasted for about 10 seconds before I woke up so all I did was fly out of the subway station I was in. The only dream I remember in full is the one where I was being chased by raptors to the edge of a cliff where I then climbed down the rope suspended in mid-air there and entered a mcdonalds at the bottom of the cliff.
You entered a McDonalds? I'd have let the raptors eat me first.

well in my defense, I was planing to make a clever trap for the raptors with Ronald McDonald as bait before I woke up.

Return to “General”