Lucid Dreaming

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:51 am UTC

I only had one lucid dream that I can recall. I was just walking around, then realized it was just a dream, so I started doing all kinds of Crouching Tiger type stunts. It was a lot of fun :D
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:55 am UTC

roaikgid wrote:
singing about potatoes wrote:
roaikgid wrote:I had a lucid dream once. It only lasted for about 10 seconds before I woke up so all I did was fly out of the subway station I was in. The only dream I remember in full is the one where I was being chased by raptors to the edge of a cliff where I then climbed down the rope suspended in mid-air there and entered a mcdonalds at the bottom of the cliff.
You entered a McDonalds? I'd have let the raptors eat me first.

well in my defense, I was planing to make a clever trap for the raptors with Ronald McDonald as bait before I woke up.
Well, I suppose that almost justifies it. Has anyone else seen that McNinja (or whatever it is) comic strip?
My hobby > yours. (yes, that is me)
singing about potatoes wrote:Theoretical-boobs and I both have dinghy access.
Fluff wrote:That sounds a bit kinky. :o

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:06 am UTC

roaikgid wrote:
roaikgid wrote:I had a lucid dream once. It only lasted for about 10 seconds before I woke up so all I did was fly out of the subway station I was in. The only dream I remember in full is the one where I was being chased by raptors to the edge of a cliff where I then climbed down the rope suspended in mid-air there and entered a mcdonalds at the bottom of the cliff.

well in my defense, I was planing to make a clever trap for the raptors with Ronald McDonald as bait before I woke up.
Well, I suppose that almost justifies it. Has anyone else seen that McNinja (or whatever it is) comic strip?

Dr. McNinja is my favorite comic-book-page-style webcomic.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:10 am UTC

william wrote:
roaikgid wrote:

That's the one. I've only seen the one strip where he takes out the McDonalds though. Hilarious.
My hobby > yours. (yes, that is me)

singing about potatoes wrote:Theoretical-boobs and I both have dinghy access.
Fluff wrote:That sounds a bit kinky. :o

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:53 am UTC

william wrote:
roaikgid wrote:

That's the one. I've only seen the one strip where he takes out the McDonalds though. Hilarious.

Here is the archives. Read it, you'll like it.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:35 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I've felt everything in dreams, including pain before.

I actually felt pain in a dream for the first time last night, it was kinda weird.

As for lucid dreaming, I do that pretty frequently. The strange thing about when I dream is that, when my dreams are very close to reality, I know that I'm dreaming, but when they're so far removed from reality that it's almost absurd, for some reason, I don't realize that I am dreaming. I've also had some strange, recurring circumstances in my dreams, most often an inability to keep my subconscious eyes open, or a speech impediment.

I had a dream a while ago in which I was fighting this huge mob of people who were angry at me for some reason or another (I tend to be an action hero in my dreams), and just at the end of the fight the alarm on my cell phone woke me up, which worked perfectly because it's the victory fanfare from Final Fantasy.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

screech

Postby screech » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:48 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:As for lucid dreaming, I do that pretty frequently. The strange thing about when I dream is that, when my dreams are very close to reality, I know that I'm dreaming, but when they're so far removed from reality that it's almost absurd, for some reason, I don't realize that I am dreaming. I've also had some strange, recurring circumstances in my dreams, most often an inability to keep my subconscious eyes open, or a speech impediment.

I've had a few lucid dreams - looked up some techniques - and that happens to me too. When it's a surreal setting, or weird things are going on, I don't notice anything, but something just a little odd and BAM lucid.

An example. I was getting off a plane, and had to walk through all this surrealish mechanical scenery while listening to music on my iPod. Didn't suspect a thing. Then I suddenly thought "Hey, didn't this song already play?" So I did a reality check, and the rest is apparent.

*points to link in signature*
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

DeLarge

Postby DeLarge » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:52 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I've felt everything in dreams, including pain before.

I remember the first time I felt pain in a dream. I was in a 'Goodfellas' type setting, being interrogated, I wasn't talking so they broke my arm. I woke up and my arm still hurt really bad. Turns out I was sleeping on it all night long and had just moved it. Blood rushing back = porcupine feeling in my arm = pain.

Also I gotta agree with Jesster, writing down your dreams (although be sure to hide the notebook, could be awkward if someone found it... ) is a good idea to help you remember and eventually get more in touch with your dreams. I frequently have the same dreams over and over again and when I do I can usually control myself.

il3

Postby il3 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:39 pm UTC

I recall at some point, I had a friend who was entirely convinced he'd mastered the art of lucid dreaming. He reeled me in, and after him explaining how to do it for about 30 minutes, I finally asked him what his last one was like.

Turned out he could never remember them, though he was positive they were awesome.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:37 pm UTC

Only one I can remember was fairly boring. I was in school, wandering around the hallways, after I realized it was a dream though, I managed to walk through a locker. It was pretty sweet.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:08 am UTC

This is off topic, but I have to know.

DeLarge, is that Dr. Strangelove in your avatar?
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

DeLarge

Postby DeLarge » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:41 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:This is off topic, but I have to know.

DeLarge, is that Dr. Strangelove in your avatar?

Indeed it is!

<- loves that movie (esp funny (sad?) in today's america)

Coruscate

Postby Coruscate » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:18 am UTC

I've had lucid dreams before, they're kinda fun.

Night terrors though, are not *shakes head*

*looks nervously behind*

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:19 am UTC

I always get those confused.

Are they the ones where you have a nightmare when you're not in REM, and your brain thinks it's real, or the ones where you wake up from REM, but your body doesn't deparalyze, and it feels like someone's sitting on your chest?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Coruscate

Postby Coruscate » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:21 am UTC

I can't remember, I've had them go either way...

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:21 am UTC

night terrors

I had a friend in college who had night terrors. She'd sit bolt upright in the middle of the night and scream "Bugs!!"

This was particularly bad as her roommate had a heart condition.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:27 am UTC

Thanks, that clears it up. Now I need to remember what the other one is.

They/them

blarg(!)

Postby blarg(!) » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:28 am UTC

The only lucid dream I can recall happened when I was very young. I was being chased by a T-Rex on an infinite featureless plane (it was also raining there) when I realized that it was a dream so I just stopped and as it ate me everything faded to white. It was very surreal, kind of like in The Matrix, when Neo was watching the TV showing what happened to the world. Except the only thing around was a bench with an old man sitting on it. I don't remember anything else.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:46 am UTC

I've heard that lucid dreams where supposed to be more likely to happen when you have gone for a long time without sleeping, sleep for a short time, wake up for a short time, then fall asleep again. One of my friends told me this when I was about to enter the last falling-asleep of such a pattern. It might have happened for a short bit at the beginning, but I don't know if it was legit.

In general sleep->wake->sleep leads to intense and memorable dreams, I think.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:53 am UTC

I've had very brief lucid sex dreams.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:52 am UTC

wait, are lucid dreams just dreams where you know you're dreaming, cos I've had a few of them. I thought lucid dreams was where you can control the dream, matrix style
Heaven is for the hedonist

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

Well, sometimes after you realize it's all a dream, you can control stuff around you, because it's all in your head.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

I have night terrors fairly frequently, two to three times a month. They're horrible, especially since there's no-one around to comfort me or sort me out. I found a good way of stopping them is actually a ritual to ward off vampires. Involves showering before bed, accompanied by mentally cleansing yourself and then building up a mental wall around your body before you sleep. I figure it's my way fo calming my brain down before I fall asleep which helps abate them.

unjovial
Note to Belial: Is Female

Postby unjovial » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

Has anyone seen 'Waking Life"? I highly recommend it.

Anyway, i've had two lucid dreams that i can recall, with varying degrees of lucidity.

The first one happened when i was about 10. I think I was actually frightened into consciousness somehow. In the dream I was being chased by a monster and I'd locked myself in the bathroom as it tried to claw its way in to get me. I was so scared that i thought "This can't be happening!!!" - and then i realised that it wasn't. I knew I was dreaming, but I didn't know how to wake up and I was still quite frightened of the beastie outside the bathroom. I asked the monster "Why are you chasing me?" and he replied "... I don't know". I then asked him if he would prefer to to be friends instead and he said 'yes'. I don't feel as if I had much control over the monster, but realising that I was dreaming at least gave me some power to moderate my fear.

In the other dream (only 3 nights ago), I became fully aware that I was dreaming and had the power to do anything I wanted. In the dream, I was walking around the neighbourhood that I grew up in. I noticed something that didn't make sense ... something like that I was a child in the dream, but I felt as if I knew I was actually an adult... at which point it dawned on me that i was dreaming! I realised I was actually an adult and I remembered my life and where I actually lived and everything!! I was completely myself, aware that I was in a dream. I was ECSTATIC. Being aware that I was dreaming gave me the power to control the dream. Naturally, the first thing I did was FLY. This is one of the best things that has ever happened to me in my life - dreaming or awake.

unjovial
Note to Belial: Is Female

Postby unjovial » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:00 pm UTC

My meagre advice for those wanting to experience a lucid dream: Sometimes people dream about the things that have been on their mind alot, expecially right before sleeping. So, before sleeping, if you focus on a setting that is very familiar to you, you might increase your chances of dreaming about that setting. If you find yourself in that setting, you're more likely to be able to spot the inconsistencies that dreams are notorious for (like your house has a blue roof instead of a green one or a mermaid happens to be occupying your swimming pool, because you watched SPLASH recently). When you notice something is out of the ordinary, just ask yourself if you're dreaming. Try doing it when you're awake, just to get into the habit of it, perhaps. :wink: Once you realise you're dreaming - it's gold, baby.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:08 am UTC

unjovial, i get at least one person a fortnight asking for waking life at my video shop. alas, some arse stole it back in like 2004.
its annoying, because i really do want to see it.

quantheory

Postby quantheory » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:24 am UTC

I've had a few lucid dreams, all of which I've been /mostly/ able to control (random elements would creep in sometimes).

I've noticed that I behave very different in my dreams sometimes than I would in real life (doing things that make no real sense or that I would hate doing), although most of the time I actually act more ideally than I do in real life. Over the last three weeks my dreams have become suddenly much more memorable and started to coincide almost suspiciously often with my regular thoughts (it gets really embarrassing to start to tell a story and realize that it didn't actually happen!). This is a bit weird, but I've been hoping that it'll eventually lead to lucid dreaming again. My best bet I think is when I wake up an hour too early and go back to sleep, or else if I try to take a nap, but unfortunately chances to nap aren't always easy to get.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:23 am UTC

I'm thinking of trying to make a computer game about a nightmare actually... like, a simulation of all the wierd crazy stuff that happens that seems perfectly normal... and maybe even using JT bruce's music or a similar style to go with it, since one album is all about dreams
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:I'm thinking of trying to make a computer game about a nightmare actually... like, a simulation of all the wierd crazy stuff that happens that seems perfectly normal... and maybe even using JT bruce's music or a similar style to go with it, since one album is all about dreams

You know, I've had an idea for that type of game too, though a plot point in the game would be that at some point late in the game it's revealed that you were being used for some sort of research into getting lucid dreams into the real world to be used as powerful tools, and ending with you breaking out.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

I'm thinking of trying to make a computer game about a nightmare actually... like, a simulation of all the wierd crazy stuff that happens that seems perfectly normal... and maybe even using JT bruce's music or a similar style to go with it, since one album is all about dreams

Play silent hill, especially the first two. Without spoiling too much of the plot, you would find it quite inspirational.

They/them

Coruscate

Postby Coruscate » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

or Endless Dark

^^ what? do you ever get that? you're typing something and someone comes in to speak to you about something that kinda sounds like what you were saying so you type that instead.

I mean Eternal Darkness

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

Also a fantastic game. The sanity effects could definitely serve as an inspiration for a nightmare game.

They/them

Return to “General”