Chat with ebay bot

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

victor_4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm UTC
Location: australia, vic,
Contact:

Chat with ebay bot

Postby victor_4k » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

Image

ok as fun as that was (after being bounced of 3 others)

WHY do they make you wait in a cue to chat with a bot? how complex can the bot the that it can only run once on a server?
it may as well be alice,

blarg
Teh prophet, Geek ina tophat
"intentionally trying to disrupt the fora"

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

You assume it was a bot. It's more likely it was someone who barely speaks english copy/pasting pre-made responses. So... a human just failed the turing test, hehe. Damn outsourcing...

victor_4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm UTC
Location: australia, vic,
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby victor_4k » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

indeed,
tho i hope your wrong,
the idea that maybe some place,
even in no english speeking countrys,
there is some poor maybe even damed soul,
who fates have damed so they dont know the word,

"indeed"

id like to think "indeed" was indeed universal, sorta like math
Teh prophet, Geek ina tophat
"intentionally trying to disrupt the fora"

User avatar
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Location: ¿burning you?

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

victor_4k wrote:indeed,
tho i hope your wrong,
the idea that maybe some place,
even in no english speeking countrys,
there is some poor maybe even damed soul,
who fates have damed so they dont know the word,

"indeed"

id like to think "indeed" was indeed universal, sorta like math
Your attempts to slag off someone who can't speak English very well are somewhat hampered by your use of the language. I've bolded points of interest. I personally would also argue with "some place", "sorta" and "math", but that's just my writing style.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.
Image

victor_4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm UTC
Location: australia, vic,
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby victor_4k » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

indeed,
you point out flaws in my grammer,
tho did you have to ask what i was talking about?
did it even take you extra time to recognise what i was trying to say?

grammer is just another internet taboo that ive done away with prematurely,

my spelling it terible also, and im quite convinced that i could type total jiberish and someone on the internet would find meaning,
or in your case an opening to complain,
Teh prophet, Geek ina tophat
"intentionally trying to disrupt the fora"

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

victor_4k wrote:indeed,
you point out flaws in my grammer,
tho did you have to ask what i was talking about?
did it even take you extra time to recognise what i was trying to say?

grammer is just another internet taboo that ive done away with prematurely,

my spelling it terible also, and im quite convinced that i could type total jiberish and someone on the internet would find meaning,
or in your case an opening to complain,
Yeah, but typing with good grammar and spelling is good practice. If you type like that on a CV, or in a report, or pretty much anything formal, you would get looked down upon.

Lots of people I know who type badly on the internet often say "But I'll type properly then." and fail to see the point.

If you type properly all the time, it becomes more natural, and you are less likely to slip and make mistakes.

And those people who say they type properly? I've seen some of their work. Full of mistakes. Obvious ones.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Awia
Posts: 1182
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:57 pm UTC
Location: Britland!

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby Awia » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

And, if you type properly, you'll find your stay here will be much more pleasant.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

Because arseholes like me and Cheese won't go around pointin' out grammar and spellin' flaws.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

victor_4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm UTC
Location: australia, vic,
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby victor_4k » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Yeah, but typing with good grammar and spelling is good practice. If you type like that on a CV, or in a report, or pretty much anything formal, you would get looked down upon.

Lots of people I know who type badly on the internet often say "But I'll type properly then." and fail to see the point.

If you type properly all the time, it becomes more natural, and you are less likely to slip and make mistakes.

And those people who say they type properly? I've seen some of their work. Full of mistakes. Obvious ones.


indeed, tho that asumes i will ever again need to submit a CV, or indeed anything formal where my spelling my determan the outcome,

sleepygamer wrote:Because arseholes like me and Cheese won't go around pointin' out grammar and spellin' flaws.


indeed, tho how much of your time would you dedicate to following round me and correcting my errors?
bet i can make em faster then you can correct em.

i can asure you,
ive broken grammer nazi's befor
if need be i can do it again
Teh prophet, Geek ina tophat
"intentionally trying to disrupt the fora"

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

victor_4k wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:Yeah, but typing with good grammar and spelling is good practice. If you type like that on a CV, or in a report, or pretty much anything formal, you would get looked down upon.

Lots of people I know who type badly on the internet often say "But I'll type properly then." and fail to see the point.

If you type properly all the time, it becomes more natural, and you are less likely to slip and make mistakes.

And those people who say they type properly? I've seen some of their work. Full of mistakes. Obvious ones.
indeed, tho that asumes i will ever again need to submit a CV, or indeed anything formal where my spelling my determan the outcome,
sleepygamer wrote:Because arseholes like me and Cheese won't go around pointin' out grammar and spellin' flaws.
indeed, tho how much of your time would you dedicate to following round me and correcting my errors?
bet i can make 'em faster then you can correct 'em.

i can asure you,
ive broken grammer nazi's befor
if need be i can do it again
This time though, you have a whole fore of grammar nazis.

And, dude, I've broken hardcore trolls before. :twisted:

Occasionally bolding a few mistakes is no problem for me.

Also, people will take your opinion more seriously around here if you spell and grammatisize (my own word) correctly. Or at least close. It's not exactly the hardest thing in the world. Hell, Firefox has a spellcheck built in.

And if you think about it, keeping a CV up to date is one of the smartest things you should do. You never know when you might get fired, or made redundant, or want to leave a job.

:D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

User avatar
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Location: ¿burning you?

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

victor_4k wrote:I can assure you,
I've broken grammer nazis before
If need be I can do it again.
I'm not a grammar nazi, I was merely pointing out your hypocrisy in slandering someone's grasp of the english language when your own is merely tentative at best. And I can Foe you if you get annoying, because I don't want to turn this into a personal war. However, I don't think I'll be doing that until you meet the mods, because red pen is pretty.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.
Image

victor_4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm UTC
Location: australia, vic,
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby victor_4k » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:
victor_4k wrote:I can assure you,
I've broken grammer nazis before
If need be I can do it again.
I'm not a grammar nazi, I was merely pointing out your hypocrisy in slandering someone's grasp of the english language when your own is merely tentative at best. And I can Foe you if you get annoying, because I don't want to turn this into a personal war. However, I don't think I'll be doing that until you meet the mods, because red pen is pretty.


indeed, i can respect that, tho, it seems you missed the point,
i was asuming it was a bot, somone else said it maybe a poorly trained person

to that i voiced my sadness that "indeed" was not added as an "= yes" in base training and that id hoped "indeed" was somewhat universal

AND

sleepygamer wrote:This time though, you have a whole fore of grammar nazis.

And, dude, I've broken hardcore trolls before. :twisted:

Occasionally bolding a few mistakes is no problem for me.

Also, people will take your opinion more seriously around here if you spell and grammatisize (my own word) correctly. Or at least close. It's not exactly the hardest thing in the world. Hell, Firefox has a spellcheck built in.

And if you think about it, keeping a CV up to date is one of the smartest things you should do. You never know when you might get fired, or made redundant, or want to leave a job.

:D


you say occasionally,
there will be NO posts of mine that will not need corecting, and i intend to be active here in once capacity or another,
someone running around correcting my grammer/spelling would need to be payed well as its a full time job,
occasionally dont quite cut it
Teh prophet, Geek ina tophat
"intentionally trying to disrupt the fora"

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

*grabs popcorn for train wreck-in-progress*

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Hmm... someone who not only has horrific grammar, but knows they have horrific grammar, and is even proud of it? Finally, a chance to get some questions answered...

'Cause I've always wondered... can you please explain to me the reasoning behind thinking that when you, say, ask a question in an online forum, that making your own time marginally shorter (by using bad spelling and grammar) at the expense of making everyone who reads your post's time marginally longer (having to parse your nonstandard grammar) will somehow not make the people potentially answering your question (a) lose respect for you, and thus (b) less likely to give a good answer? I've never been able to figure out how effectively claiming that your time is much more important than mine is a good idea whenever you're asking something of me... if you could explain that to me, then that'll be one less mystery on my list.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

victor_4k wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:This time though, you have a whole fore of grammar nazis.

And, dude, I've broken hardcore trolls before. :twisted:

Occasionally bolding a few mistakes is no problem for me.

Also, people will take your opinion more seriously around here if you spell and grammatisize (my own word) correctly. Or at least close. It's not exactly the hardest thing in the world. Hell, Firefox has a spellcheck built in.

And if you think about it, keeping a CV up to date is one of the smartest things you should do. You never know when you might get fired, or made redundant, or want to leave a job.

:D
you say occasionally,
there will be NO posts of mine that will not need corecting, and i intend to be active here in once capacity or another,
someone running around correcting my grammer/spelling would need to be payed well as its a full time job,
occasionally dont quite cut it
Yeah, occasionally.

That basically means whenever it amuses me to do so. Reading bad grammar doesn't annoy me, but it does (sadly) make me value the opinion of the typist less, unless they have a fairly valid reason (poor grasp of language, affliction that prevents full keyboard use, etc) for it.

Just think of it this way, it doesn't take that much effort to spell grammar with 2 Ays, or capitalise the first word of each sentence, and Eyes and proper nouns.

At least you don't use "u" in place of "you". I fail to see why people do that, except possibly when texting on a character limit.

Also: This fora is full of grammar nazis. xkcd attracts them for some reason.

(And ninja'd by someone making a very similar point to me.)
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

User avatar
tmcfulton
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:12 pm UTC
Location: Toronto

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby tmcfulton » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:26 am UTC

It's actually very difficult to read. I've skipped over all of your posts, even though I wouldn't have if you had used proper spelling and grammar.

User avatar
lorenith
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:35 am UTC
Location: Transient
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby lorenith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:27 am UTC

victor_4k wrote:did it even take you extra time to recognise what i was trying to say?



Actually yes I did, and probably everyone else did too. Typing with poor grammar and spelling forces a reader to slow down to decode what you're trying to say.

And "indeed" is not a "universal" word at all as you seem to think it is, someone that has very little grasp of the english language probably has no concept of what "indeed" means at all, and may have never even heard or seen that word before.

timt
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:48 am UTC
Location: Kentucky, USA

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby timt » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:35 am UTC

Grow the fuck up, these people are trying to help you. It brings credibility and readability to your work.

User avatar
RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 7:17 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby RealGrouchy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:35 am UTC

victor_4k wrote:there will be NO posts of mine that will not need corecting
Well, we can certainly help make this happen, right up until (but excluding) "that will not need correcting".

It takes far less effort for me to delete your post than to bother trying to understand it.

You are intentionally trying to disrupt the fora, and make it difficult for others to have an enjoyable conversation. This is something I do not look kindly on.

There are plenty of forums on the internet where asstardery like this is acceptable, if not encouraged. This is not one of them.

:evil:

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

victor_4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm UTC
Location: australia, vic,
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby victor_4k » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:39 am UTC

phlip wrote:Hmm... someone who not only has horrific grammar, but knows they have horrific grammar, and is even proud of it? Finally, a chance to get some questions answered...

'Cause I've always wondered... can you please explain to me the reasoning behind thinking that when you, say, ask a question in an online forum, that making your own time marginally shorter (by using bad spelling and grammar) at the expense of making everyone who reads your post's time marginally longer (having to parse your nonstandard grammar) will somehow not make the people potentially answering your question (a) lose respect for you, and thus (b) less likely to give a good answer? I've never been able to figure out how effectively claiming that your time is much more important than mine is a good idea whenever you're asking something of me... if you could explain that to me, then that'll be one less mystery on my list.


a fully valid quietional
almost noone who uses bad grammAr is doing so by choice
and will, most of the time blame it on poor early schooling as i used to, and i get the feeling that MAYBE thats part of it,
but personal for myself, i think its more about not having the right mind set you improve/maintain my grammer,
strangly my grammAr seem fine in coding (where capitisation is needed, ECT) but in plain english my grammAr slips, i cant explain why, cos if i could maybe i can fix it,

as for the value of time thing
i dont think my time is more valuable then anyone elses,
and when im asking a question i would generaly put more value on the time of the person providing me the anser
altho it is somewhat ive a time saving thing persoaly,
ive done a few tests on myself
it takes just over double the time for me persoaly to use correct grammer and in my mind the time used is unjustifyable

is that your mystery sorted?
Teh prophet, Geek ina tophat
"intentionally trying to disrupt the fora"

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:40 am UTC

I love you RG <3

ETA: what is a "quietional"? quiet-onal? quieh-shonal?

/angell
Last edited by GhostWolfe on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC

Listen to RG, for he positively oozes wisdom.

Plus, his avatar makes me smile.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

victor_4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm UTC
Location: australia, vic,
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby victor_4k » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 am UTC

RealGrouchy wrote:
victor_4k wrote:there will be NO posts of mine that will not need corecting
Well, we can certainly help make this happen, right up until (but excluding) "that will not need correcting".

It takes far less effort for me to delete your post than to bother trying to understand it.

You are intentionally trying to disrupt the fora, and make it difficult for others to have an enjoyable conversation. This is something I do not look kindly on.

There are plenty of forums on the internet where asstardery like this is acceptable, if not encouraged. This is not one of them.

:evil:

- RG>



im not intentionally trying to disrupt anything,
i had posted this with intention of talking about the (bot/poorly trained person) on ebay help,
and right uptill grammar hijacked my post it was,
id hoped to protest my inocence, but it seems id done nothing to push the post back to the topic, so i am partly to blame for the wayward direction the post has taken.

Tho saying im "intentionally trying to disrupt the fora" is untrue at best.

and threating to remove all my post is hardly a logical responce, would it not be simpler still to ignore my posts? rather then deleting em all? when your looking for the lazy way out
Teh prophet, Geek ina tophat
"intentionally trying to disrupt the fora"

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:59 am UTC

The lazy way out is banning you for being annoying.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

victor_4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm UTC
Location: australia, vic,
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby victor_4k » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:02 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The lazy way out is banning you for being annoying.


.... indeed, spose that would work also,
tho a less plesant outcome for me,
tho the first forum ive been baned from,
and for poor grammar,
Teh prophet, Geek ina tophat
"intentionally trying to disrupt the fora"

User avatar
lorenith
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:35 am UTC
Location: Transient
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby lorenith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:09 am UTC

The way you're posting has been getting worse and worse, it's pretty hard to believe you're not doing it on purpose.

User avatar
sethicus
Winner
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:58 pm UTC
Location: Dela-WHERE?
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby sethicus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:09 am UTC

Is it sad that when I see a post like that, my eyes just gloss over, and I gleefully await the responses of our grammar team?

I think not, but who am I to judge?

Also, as if I wasn't already off-topic enough:

I LOVE SCOTCH! YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!

My apologies to RG.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby phlip » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:10 am UTC

victor_4k wrote:Tho saying im "intentionally trying to disrupt the fora" is untrue at best.

But by your own admission, you know your grammar is bad, but persist regardless. So: Intentional? Check. Distrupts the fora? Check.

victor_4k wrote:ive done a few tests on myself
it takes just over double the time for me persoaly to use correct grammer and in my mind the time used is unjustifyable

But that's just more reason to try harder to get your grammar right more often. Because, as sleepygamer described above, if you get in the habit of using good grammar, it won't take double the time, and then next time you have to write something with decent grammar (and you will have to at some point), you'll find it much easier than if you didn't take the effort to get in the habit beforehand (and much more likely to avoid simple mistakes).

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 pm UTC
Location: Within a 50 mile radius.
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby Noc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:17 am UTC

I suspect that it's not a matter of poor grammar. The Cat, for instance, seems to post with something resembling word salad, and no one is talking about banning him. It's things like this:
victor_4k wrote:i can asure you,
ive broken grammer nazi's befor
if need be i can do it again

This is not a good way to endear yourself to people. Because your writing is not legible. It's on the far side of "readable." We will not read it, if you keep typing this way.

So either you can change, or we can stop listening to you. If you refuse to change (and will "break us") if we persist in trying, then we will stop listening to you.

And it doesn't even take very much time! Most modern browsers have a spellcheck feature built in; they'll handily underline everything it thinks you're mispelling for you! All you have to do is take a moment after you've written to go back and fill in the words that you've mispelled and left incomplete. This is a forum; there is no time pressure. You can afford to take the time to proofread. And you're capable of it, by your own admission; you're perfectly capable of proofreading your code, as you said. Proofreading sentences for spelling and syntax isn't very different.

The reason your writing comes out sloppy is because you aren't paying attention to it. We have to pay attention to it, if we want to read it. So if you aren't willing to take a moment after you've written to proofread your post into some state of legibility, we are not going to be willing to spend our time trying to build your illegible type-scrawl into something coherent in our heads.

It's not a very difficult concept.

[Edit, because I was ninja'd: Yes. It takes you twice as long to go through your post and type it legibly as it does to type it as it is. It takes us twice as long to read it in its present state as it would take to read it normally. So, pick one. Is our time more important to you? Or is yours? If it's yours, then stop posting, because we don't want our time wasted.]
Have you given up?

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Holy fuck... Noc, you are possibly my favourite current poster, alongside Felstaff and SecondTalon.

That's basically everything I wanted to say, expressed much more eloquently than my sleep deprived self could ever express it. Well done.

I'm going to get some caffeine.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

victor_4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm UTC
Location: australia, vic,
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby victor_4k » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:37 am UTC

lorenith wrote:The way you're posting has been getting worse and worse, it's pretty hard to believe you're not doing it on purpose.


i can a sure you, im not, unfortunately i cant even say I am tired, as I just woke up,

maybe im simply getting bored of fighting for a lost cause,

im fully aware that i was bound to loose,
poor grammar VS grammar Nazi's is a loss at the start

hows that popcorn going Xeio? enjoying the show?

phlip wrote:But by your own admission, you know your grammar is bad, but persist regardless. So: Intentional? Check. Distrupts the fora? Check.


you miss that my intentions was not to disrupt even if i managed to do so, it was never my intention.

and Noc id have to agree,
my choice of words was rather poor and quite likely to be the cause of my current problem,
and my browser did come with a spell checker, that has been disabled from the moment I installed it.
and it seems proof reading code VS proof reading forum posts is different, tho I cant see why, my brain simply refuses to do one as the other

ok as a test ( and its going to be painful for me), ill re enable the spell checker,
lets see how much of a difference it makes
Last edited by victor_4k on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Teh prophet, Geek ina tophat
"intentionally trying to disrupt the fora"

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:37 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Holy fuck... Noc, you are possibly my favourite current poster, alongside Felstaff and SecondTalon.


D'awwww.

Also, seriously? Damn, I've got some impressive company.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:43 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:Holy fuck... Noc, you are possibly my favourite current poster, alongside Felstaff and SecondTalon.
D'awwww.

Also, seriously? Damn, I've got some impressive company.
For serial.

You post lots of information, and 'tis normally fun to read, and well expressed.

Felstaff posts pure, compressed epic.

And Noc, while nothing more than a mere sapling to your Towering redwood status, and Felstaff's mighty oak, is quickly rising up through the ranks as an "eloquent fucker".

Yes, I spotted the double entendres in my post.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby hack124x768 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:45 am UTC

Actually, I think his writing style is perfectly acceptable...




On the drkun thread.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 7:17 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby RealGrouchy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:08 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:I love you RG <3
Yes, well I am, simultaneously, the most liberal mod, and the most deletionist* mod.

(this one not confirmed, just based on my recent razing of the Fleeting Thoughts thread)

sethicus wrote:I LOVE SCOTCH! YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!

My apologies to RG.
What? I'm only a small fraction Scottish; I take no offense.

phlip wrote:
victor_4k wrote:Tho saying im "intentionally trying to disrupt the fora" is untrue at best.
Intentional? Check. Distrupts the fora? Check.
If it's intentional, then that means he/she agrees with us that it is annoying and disruptive, so there's no point in arguing it any further. And that's why the best mode of action for you non-mods is to go to his/her profile and click the little "add foe" button to aid you in ignoring his/her posts.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:16 am UTC

Why foe him when I can ban him?

Victor: if you can't spell or compose, because perhaps you are undereducated or not a native english speaker, then so be it. We'll cope. It's only courteous.

If you are capable of using readable spelling and grammar, do it. Now. It's common fucking courtesy. If you can't be bothered to spell and compose your thoughts in a vaguely decipherable format (it doesn't have to be flawless, just not complete gibberish), you obviously have no respect for the people you're speaking to, who have to read the slop you wrote. And since that's....all of us, you have no respect for the forums. If you can't respect the space on at least a baseline level, you don't deserve to be here.

In short, Shape up or ship out.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
anouk
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 pm UTC
Location: Location, Location.

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby anouk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:48 am UTC

*Realises the error of my ways*
I swear, from now on I shall use grammar the the best of my ability, I had not realised how it affected other people and their opinions of me.

[On topic]I love having discussions with robots, there are a few on MSN that I used to muck around with[/On topic]
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.

polymer
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:14 am UTC

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby polymer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:29 am UTC

This entire conversation made me lol. The groups patience with victor is truly impressive. :)

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:04 am UTC

On topic, I don't think the way that you used "indeed" as a response the first time was even syntactically correct. "Indeed" is an emphasis word, and a form of agreement with a given statement, but it isn't a synonym for "yes." Responding with "indeed" to a question seems like a shortening of "indeed I am" or "yes indeed," using it on its own seems like it's only appropriate when affirming a statement, not a question.

It's the difference between "A: This beer is excellent. B: Indeed!" (and even if this isn't wholly accurate, I think using "indeed" to mean "damn right" is common enough) and "A: You like beer, don't you? B: Indeed, I do!" I don't think you can blame a bot/non-native-english speaker for not being familiar with your idiomatic use of language.

EDIT: I will say, though, that if it is a bot, having to wait in line to talk to it is ridiculous. Isn't instant access the whole point of having bots?
Last edited by TheAmazingRando on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Chat with ebay bot

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:41 am UTC

Neither use of 'indeed' made any sense, the second one in particular. Spectacular fail.

Don't try and look smarter than you are. It never works.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests