Irrational fears

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have any irrational fears?

No. (I am a robot and do not feel emotion.)
19%
Yes, one or two.
59%
Yes, many.
22%

Total votes: 274

il3

Postby il3 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:57 pm UTC

Im afraid of the fear of fear itself.

So being afraid of being afraid of fear scares me.

Kinda like figuring out how to word that sentence.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

I'm afraid of getting old, I don't like the sound of it at all...:(
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:I'm afraid of getting old, I don't like the sound of it at all...:(

Me too. I think I am nearly there sometimes. Half my mates are already married with children. :shock:

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

Aww no I mean as in pensioner age...70s/80s

I'm excited bout having a family etc but I don't want to deal with my body failing...
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:23 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:I'm afraid of getting old, I don't like the sound of it at all...:(
Meh. I'm not AFRAID of aging, but I dread it. Does that make sense? I don't want to go past 30. Ever. I want to hit 30, then go backwards till I hit 18 again, and then go back up to 30, and then go back down...

I also want a magical flying horse that shoots laser beams and nanotech assemblers out its eyes, a tropical continent that I am in total control of, and sunglasses that will magically make me suave.
My hobby > yours. (yes, that is me)
singing about potatoes wrote:Theoretical-boobs and I both have dinghy access.
Fluff wrote:That sounds a bit kinky. :o

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

I want to get older. I just hope I don't die before we find out how to get rid of death.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:28 pm UTC

william wrote:I want to get older. I just hope I don't die before we find out how to get rid of death.
I want to get older...but I don't want to AGE. My metabolism is at a GOOD speed (I can eat as much as I want but I'll NEVER put on fat) and I want it to STAY the way it is! "This is what I don't like about change. It changes things."

shimavak

Postby shimavak » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:16 pm UTC

I used to have a terrible fear of peak oil. Back when I first read about it, I became incredibly depressed for about 2 days. On the third day, I woke up, and I continued my depressing thoughts about that idea. Then I had a thought, and it all fixed itself, and I have not rightly feared it since. My thought was simple: These people have no idea what they're talking about.

I also have this very strange fear when I am in high places. I am not afraid of the heights themselves; no, rather I fear that I will throw myself over the edge. I can't quite describe it, but when I am at an edge, I just fear that my body, or some subset of my brain, will act of its own accord and launch me from the top. Very weird, if I do say so myself.

I don't really fear bugs, death, age, etc. I don't even really fear fear itself, for fear has its purpose. As has been said: It is better to see the lion in the bushes that isn't, than miss the one that is.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:00 pm UTC

I am unsure which of these fears are irrational and which are not, but I'll go on and list them

Heights, atleast in some cases, I remember being up in the statue of liberty, it was swaying pretty good, I ran down fast.

Bugs, Fucking bugs

Glablization, so much power is concentrated so far away, both geologically and politically, infact so much power if placed in almost completely undemocratic settings, ie companies, while unions are getting weaker since they do not span across nations, I fear me and or my children will have to fight for the right of the working class once again.

Robots, Seriously, read in the serious business fora, if companies will not rule the world robots sure as hell will

Black holes, Those fuckers

Girls, face it, they are scary

Dying, I wanna live foreeeeever! and not age.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:47 am UTC

i put no irrational fears, because the only thing that worries me is that ill become boring (much worse than being bored. if you are bored you can entertain yourself.) but thats not so much irrational as almost inevitable.
also being alone forever would suck, but thats unlikely.

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:48 am UTC

I'm scared of German sausages. :o

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:54 am UTC

Perhaps I should clarify that by "being alone forever," I mean "never loving or being loved in return."

Which is really weird for me to say because I'm not a strong believer in "love" and its various qualities. The ideal marriage would be of that to your best friend.

I detest the thought of marriage, but I'm afraid of being unloved and alone for the rest of my life.

I am such a hypocrite. :oops:

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:57 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:The ideal marriage would be of that to your best friend.
That's my opinion as well, with "relationship" substituted for "marriage" because I can't even fathom marriage very well...but I'm not sure it's correct. One girl threw that on my head for me, and subsequently moved to Indonesia before we had time to sort it out.

...Yeah, I have SHITTY luck in that department.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:06 am UTC

I would never, never, never marry my best friend. Not even on a dare. Sorry, thefiddler.

(Also, he shares the same sentiment, as I think I've mentioned: He once told me, if we were married, he would say "Fuck." a lot. [The full stop is really important there, even if it looks grammatically awkward.])

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:10 am UTC

My parents (together) say that once "love" wears off (and it will) friendship is what keeps couples together and happy.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:13 am UTC

Sure, but I would postulate a) you'd have to be in love to some degree first, which I and Edborg certainly are not, and b) love won't necessarily wear off, that seems very pessimistic.

Being friends with your partner/spouse is pretty important, but having feelings of romantic love towards them is pretty important too. I would never marry someone I did not love romantically, so as much as I love Edborg platonically there will be no wedding bells there at all EVER.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:15 am UTC

Well, you can fall in and out of love. Love is a fleeting emotion, whereas friendship is more likely to last.

Although it doesn't help that my best guy friend is TBIL. :oops:

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Ah, see, that is where it is coming from to some degree. :P

Though actually, to be contrary I would consider my boy a pretty close friend as well. It's just that if you were to say 'best friend', that is a visual cue for Edborg right there. Just this thing.

Owijad

Postby Owijad » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:22 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Sure, but I would postulate a) you'd have to be in love to some degree first, which I and Edborg certainly are not, and b) love won't necessarily wear off, that seems very pessimistic.

Being friends with your partner/spouse is pretty important, but having feelings of romantic love towards them is pretty important too. I would never marry someone I did not love romantically, so as much as I love Edborg platonically there will be no wedding bells there at all EVER.

Of course, but marrying someone you love, but aren't friends with is the road to divorceland.

[edit]:The 'love' that a newlywed couple feel is almost certainly going to have worn off, or changed shape by year fifty of marriage.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:28 am UTC

But that's not love, that's infatuation on top of love! I think! Having never been a newlywed!

Owijad

Postby Owijad » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 am UTC

Methinks confusion here stems from a difference in our definitions of "love"...

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:34 am UTC

Probably. Or our personalities. I am pretty intense, I can't imagine wearing out, I guess, so I can't really fathom the concept. But I do agree than friendship and common ground are important, that seems to be common sense to me in the building of any relationship.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:38 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Edborg

i so hope thats not a nickname. best name ever!

also, caitlin, thats what i meant too. or loving and never being loved in return. basically, i want me some girly action at most stages of my life.

Phy

Postby Phy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:14 am UTC

I don't like most insects, and I don't want pain. But I view these as entirely rational fears. IRRational, however... I will do everything in my power not to talk about if or how many times I have crashed my bike, or how long it has been since I fell hard while skiing, or really had any other kind of painful and unfortunate mishap. I'm afraid if I do talk about it, the universe is going to notice and rectify the situation.

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:29 pm UTC

I can't bring myself to use an electric razor. I know they're perfectly safe, but I just... I'd rather use a knife and scissors to shave than give some kind of advanced whirring-blade serrated surging-with-electricity machine free access to my face! I can see the newspaper headlines: "Young man killed by freak razor accident", "Razor cleaves outline of student's face", "Razors rise up against human overlords, millions die in initial strike, battery stocks stolen for the next offensive."

I also have this very strange fear when I am in high places. I am not afraid of the heights themselves; no, rather I fear that I will throw myself over the edge. I can't quite describe it, but when I am at an edge, I just fear that my body, or some subset of my brain, will act of its own accord and launch me from the top. Very weird, if I do say so myself.

I kind of have that... but it's not a fear... It's a desire. I get a disturbingly strong urge to jump off. I'm not suicidal or anything, I'm quite a happy person, but I get this intense urge to try to fly every time I'm on a cliff, or climbing a tree, or crossing a bridge, or up high in a building. And then, after I give myself the initial "No! You will die!"I try to justify it, by noticing areas where maybe I could possibly kick off of to stabilize myself to slow my fall to slide down the wall to land on that softer bit over there... I learned how to fall long distances into water from lifeguarding, I'm sure I could make it...

This is also why I avoid drugs. Oh, I guess that's a fear; fear of not being conscious and in complete control of my actions. I hate being drunk.
"Materialism and vanity are tools of youth and fear. We'll grow up. " Sarah Lyons

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

I'm afraid of getting old, I don't like the sound of it at all...

Well, there's experimentation going on with certain chemical additives and cell treatments that, at least in mice, look like they could stop an animal from "aging" right up until they die (and delay the time they die by about 40%, too).

And other research going into how to stop biological degradation entirely. Keep in mind that aging and age-death is not a biological necessity or inevitability, sharks and many fish *do not age past maturity*. At all. So it's just a matter of figuring out what's different, biologically, between us and them, and fixing it.

So maybe you can escape your fear?

Anyway, on-topic.....I hate rollercoasters. A lot.

Waterslides I'm okay with, though, which is wierd, since they're usually about the same height and speed.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:17 am UTC

Owijad wrote:Methinks confusion here stems from a difference in our definitions of "love"...

I have a theory that at least 75% of all disagreements are from defining a key word or phrase differently.

Even the chicken and the egg argument boils down to it eventually.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:21 am UTC

I have an irrational fear of food. I'm serious. I have a very limited diet, and apparently a phobia (it fits all the criteria of a phobia) of eating other stuff. It's pretty obnoxious actually.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:44 am UTC

Even the chicken and the egg argument boils down to it eventually.

Of course. If you don't define "egg" as "chicken egg".....

They/them

Owijad

Postby Owijad » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:47 am UTC

It's the egg, for the record.

il3

Postby il3 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:49 am UTC

Gah! No!

No Chicken vs egg! Gaaaaaaah!

*runs outside, begins running in circles. Tears out hair in large chunks. Eyes roll into back of head*

Yarrrgh.

Owijad

Postby Owijad » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:54 am UTC

Why is it a problem? There's no ambiguity. It was the egg.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:55 am UTC

The chicken v. egg is pretty much over. Dinosaurs were laying eggs way before chickens.

They/them

il3

Postby il3 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:56 am UTC

I think thats my other irrational fear- ambiguous debates with no clear ending that I've played over and over in my head.

The only way to be final is to define everything so precisely that my brain starts to melt.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:57 am UTC

I have a fear of getting stuck in losing the Game loops, like I just did because someone had to quote my last loss. :(

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:12 am UTC

NOOOOO

uh, er, this is totally a valid post.

I... fear... snakes. But I'm fine with "worm"s. Strange though, my "mother" is the opposite. She had a pet snake.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:19 am UTC

Here's a strange one: I fear getting my decision letters from the colleges I applied to. (I'm supposed to get them "mid-March"; it's the 13th today.)

I don't fear the decisions themselves, but I fear... I guess I fear them being decided at all. I think this is that whole "resistance to change" thing, etc.; the subconscious feeling that I don't want to "grow up" or whatever.

That's the first time I've ever used a period and a semicolon consecutively. *throws a party*
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Phy

Postby Phy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:55 am UTC

Owijad wrote:Why is it a problem? There's no ambiguity. It was the egg.

But what if we narrow the scope? If "egg" means "any egg" then yes, of course the egg came first. But what if we take "egg" to mean "a chicken egg"? Ahh, therein lays the conundrum!

unjovial
Note to Belial: Is Female

Postby unjovial » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 am UTC

Sometimes I think it's a bit sad that people are so afraid of insects. To me it represents the increasing 'cushiness' and declining knowledge that humans have about our natural environment. If we knew a particular curious insect was deadly we'd avoid or kill it, but instead we run and squeal instinctively if ANY insect larger than an ant invades our cushy little box-homes.

Or maybe we're not scared of insects at all, but we're just overcome with mistrust of our natural environment. Mistrust and awe, perhaps. A cicada flew into my room the other day and I immediately leapt up and backed away. Then I decided to harness the feeling of 'awe' and let go of the 'fear' part. I can't remember what happened in between, but the story ends with my 10 yr old neice roller-blading around with a cicada called "Germaine" on her shoulder. Germaine now rests eternally in a glass box in the hall.

I forget what I was talking about ....

Oh, fear. Yes, I hate it when people say "Earthquakes are fun!", because I feel like they're mocking my legitimate fear. I'll have the last laugh from under my door frame, while they groan and squirm under piles of debris! :twisted:

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:00 am UTC

I like spiders cause they eat ants. I don't like ants cause they eat my candy :(

Return to “General”