Roommate chews with mouth open

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Roommate chews with mouth open

Postby Djabanete » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:53 am UTC

My roommate chews with his mouth open, always. He's making smacking and squelching noises right this second. I realize that I could tell him, since it's obviously unconscious. But he's not the sort to amend his ways just because someone tells him once, which means that if there were to be any lasting effect, I'd have to remind him over and over again. The reason I don't want to do that might sound silly, but it's just that we're good friends and I'm afraid it would mess up our camaraderie if I kept reminding him of basic manners. He can also sometimes get pissy when criticized, and I like to try to keep things on an even keel since we're around eachother a lot. Then again, if I let this irritation fester then (A) he'll never know why I get annoyed whenever he's eating and (B) I have to put up with gooey chewie noises all the time.

I know it sounds ridiculous that I don't just come right out and tell him, and I'm usually not the type to beat around the bush. But how do you phrase it? "You know, it's good manners to chew with your mouth SHUT, unlike what you're doing now and always do." (And believe me, he would deny that he usually does it.) He really gets stung by personal criticism to his character and/or habits and sometimes he dodges the criticism and retaliates with some of his own. (He's a sweet guy but sometimes has a surprisingly thin skin.)

Creative approaches anyone? (Who knows, maybe I can get him to stumble across this thread somehow :wink: )
I guess I could give him a funny look and make an "om nom nom" sound. Maybe he would get that. It has to seem like a joke and not like a criticism.
Djabanete

Re: Roommate chews with mouth open

Postby Avelion » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Make a recording of it and play it on your computer on loop. Then when he asks what it is tell him it is him.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow
Avelion

Postby Devilsaur » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:13 am UTC

"I met this (cute member of the opposite sex/old friend/professor/dinosaur) today in the (cafeteria/food court/local hangout/bdsm themed speed dating service). We kinda (hit it off/caught up/had fun/talked about the common misconceptions brought up in debates regarding the use of hydrogen powered cars) but I was really just put off by how irritable their open mouth chewing was."
Devilsaur

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:29 am UTC

Chewing with mouth open is dealt with the same way you deal with any other bad habit people might have. You make fun of it. Next time he does it, take a flashlight and shine into his mouth, if he asks you why you are doing that, say you felt it was a good time for an oral examination. Or something like that. You should probably come up with something funnier. Or meaner. Or both. I fail terrible at making fun of people. I bet someone else could come up with a much better and stinging comment. But at least that's how I've gotten rid of most of my bad habits. That and people telling me "STOP DOING THAT IT'S ANNOYING". But that was out of the question wasn't it? So make him feel all embarrassed about it, it's mean, it makes him feel bad, but it works, and most people who are not complete elephants will get over that initial ouchieness.
Brainssss
AngrySquirrel
Eats nuts for breakfast...

Postby UnderRock » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:39 am UTC

Oddly enough, I just went upstairs to get my headphones because my roommate is also in the computer lab. He and his friend are often in here, CONSTANTLY talking LOUD AS HELL to each other despite the fact that they are right next to each other! It annoys not only me, but everyone else in the lab who are trying to concentrate/do homework/study/etc. And he has his own laptop too! D:<
...Not that I have anything else to add to the thread, but my roommates can get on my nerves too, and I don't really know how to tell them. Until then, I'll put on headphones whenever they annoy me.

(...w00t! They left! \o/)
UnderRock

Postby joeframbach » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

I have a friend like this. He cannot drink water from a glass without smacking his lips afterward. It's annoying as fuck, I know. Somehow, he's managed to have a steady girlfriend for the last 4 years, and I'm pretty sure she's not a big fan of the lip-smacking.
My usual approach is to talk to him, and ask questions just as he's about to eat something. Like, I'll see him raising a burger to his face, and I'll throw out, "Hey what time is so-and-so supposed to get back into town?"
Sadly, it does not completely fix the problem, it merely delays it.
xxv/♂/♫
joeframbach

Postby Djabanete » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Some interesting replies :mrgreen:
I tried the OM NOM NOM strategy and it kind of worked. He closed his mouth for the next few seconds.
Djabanete

Postby effective_ » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Like the taxicab driver from Old School says:

"I suggest you stop being a faggot. You're in the backseat."

Seriously, don't tell your friend how to eat. If it annoys you when he eats, don't be around him when he eats. Just tell him how annoying it is, and whether or not he takes your advice will determine if you can be around him when he eats. I never got how people can get annoyed over the stupidest shit.
I'm on the brink of insanity, between extreme intelligence and split personalities
But I elevate to the point of reversing gravity
Revolutionary conceptuality spitting out of me
Even the dead people in my family tell me they proud of me
effective_

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Note that it could be a physiological thing.
For instance, I breathe mostly through my mouth, and took a long time to train myself to chew with my mouth closed because I have an overbite (which has been partially correct by braces now).
So just keep in mind that for some reason closed-mouth chewing might be uncomfortable for him.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.
Alpha Omicron

Postby elminster » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

Casually bring it up as a side note as if it were a joke. Then if he does it again, add to the joke again with very casual reference, to make him seem somewhat stupid/uncool/uncoordinated. I'd suggest throwing it in shortly after starting a sentence about a completely unrelated matter. On the psychological level, if it's witty and damaging enough, he'll feel self-concious or ashamed about it. If you throw a handful well placed witty lines to make him look suitably inferior, I'm sure it would get to him far more effective than a complaint.
For example (Poor one, but I'm not feeling witty today), "Hey, You know that paper I was... *very short pause for slight emphasis* you got a little err... *rub side of mouth as if indicating bit of food* 5 course meal coming out you're mouth there *Very short laugh and continue*. Yeah, the paper I was talking about the other day, [etc]"

Saying that, it doesn't work on some people, and you might not be able to deliver it effectively. It's all about the psychology of it though. Find out what he's most defensive reaction is to forms of psychological attack. Key is to keep it short and casual so he gets the point without thinking you've got a big deal with it, weather you use anger, disgust, comedy, or other way to express it.

Then again, I did end up having 3 fights with my roommate at uni (Mostly because he was an aggressive cocaine addicted alcoholic that always felt the need to be the "big man") and I'm thinking too much from theory than practical experience. :? So failing all others, tell him to step outside. :lol:
elminster

Return to General