"Lets get tedious, tedious." (Annoying things)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jope

Re: "Lets get tedious, tedious." (Annoying things)

Postby Jope » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Some of these "pet peeves" are pretty childish. :p

My biggest pet peeve is hypocrisy in any form.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:26 am UTC

Jope wrote:Some of these "pet peeves" are pretty childish. :p

My biggest pet peeve is hypocrisy in any form.

very true, but all of us may be guilty at times.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Liet Kynes

Postby Liet Kynes » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:30 am UTC

I get somewhat peeved when people spell simple words incorrectly, or quote my favorite movie lines incorrectly. "OVER THE LINE!"

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Everybody whining about shitty drivers and shitty freeway construction has never been to New Jersey. Jesus H tittyfucking Christ on a Bike/Stick thing. It's insane.

I've got to agree with the slow walker peeve. Tourists who stand around and block rush hour foot traffic are the worst. It's a crane. Yes, it's a crane at the World Trade Center. It's still just a goddamn crane. You really, really don't need five minutes of video footage of the crane doing nothing, even if it is a crane doing nothing at the World Trade Center. Fucking youtube it or something. Or, better yet, get a fucking life. And stop standing in the middle of the financial district sidewalk at 5:30 in the evening.

Finally, do not -- do not -- sit anywhere near me if you're going to chew with your mouth open. Seeing masticated food I can handle. The smacking sound, though, will probably send me flying into a rage, and subsequently I'll send you flying out a window. Particularly if you're an attorney. Aren't you supposed to be refined or something?

Edit to acknowledge awesome post right above mine: YOU SAID IT MANG. Nobody fucks with da jesus.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Mmmm, masticating.
Have you given up?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Oh stop it. You're making me salivate.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:When you set autosave to interrupt you every 60 seconds to make up for the programs skill at corrupting files.

When you set Autosave to save every 15 minutes, and over the past four years, has yet to Autosave once.

Good feature.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:21 am UTC

When you get a device to do something (i.e. save all the contacts/info on your sim card), then before you can use it, lose the thing it was designed to do something with (i.e. the sim card).
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:23 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:When you get a device to do something (i.e. save all the contacts/info on your sim card), then before you can use it, lose the thing it was designed to do something with (i.e. the sim card).

Now that's just irenic.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:07 am UTC

clintonius wrote:Jesus H tittyfucking Christ on a Stick thing.

Did someone say 'on a stick?'

I quit like people walking the wrong way on a walkway, it makes weaving in and out of people while walking really fast more fun.
Crowd dodging is a fun game.
In fact, slow people ruin that game, they annoy me. If you are going to walk slow, take notice of people around you and let them past.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:19 am UTC

guyy wrote:More accurately, people who walk very slowly in areas where pretty much everyone else is in a hurry, and there's not much room to maneuver. Because that is really, really annoying.

Yes. People who walk slowly, line-abreast, in narrow sidewalks are particularly guilty of this.

Common spelling errors (e.g. a certain misspelling of 'ridiculous') and meaningless expressions ('could of', 'could care less').

The food videos on Expert Village. Each recipe is split into absurdly specific chunks, each of which contains a 15 second advertisement, followed a chef introduction. So a simple recipe becomes literally dozens of short clips with titles like 'How to add ingredient X to dish Y'. I don't even know if the recipes are any good, because I haven't had the patience to finish any of them.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

You know what annoys me? Newly "saved" fanatical people. You know the type. Those who think that just because they never thought of something before noone else have either. So they have come up "all on their own" with this overwhelming epiphany, and now they can't shut up about it. And you must read every single piece of information on the subject they dig up for you, because you don't know anything, how could you know anything? After all, it's they who have "discovered" this new and unique thing.

Also I get annoyed at people who go around thinking cover songs are the original, and then go on and start dissing the original song because "oh my god they just totally covered Britney Spears "I Love Rock and Roll", they have no sense of originality". (And before on of you betterwissers goes on with "you know, Joan Jett didn't have the original version of that song", yes I know, shut up, you are being annoying, not enlightening).

Another thing that annoys me is when people decide for themselves what you are saying before you say it. And then they don't listen to what you actually say. And start arguing on what they thought you were saying.

Also I get annoyed by words with th in them, especially if they also contain ou and more h's. They are horrible to spell correctly without looking them up all the bloody time.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

People making threads that put terrible songs in my head.

Currently: Let's get tedious, tedious. I wanna get tedious. Let's get into tedium!" *headdesk*
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:The right hand rule and right-handedness. It's stupid. Mathematics and biology are teaming up to make me have to put down my pen every time I have trouble visualizing magnetic fields.

i am going to make millions on an invention to counteract this!

kinigget wrote:debugging, 'nuff said

only when void*'s are being passed around and you have to examine raw memory because youre not exactly sure what type the void* should be
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

wst

Postby wst » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:@wst: I dont think that thats the worst roundabout in England. There are others with 6 mini roundabouts around the centre one, and each on has lanes that go both ways.
That is one of them ;)
The Magic Roundabout, Hemel Hempstead.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

omega

Postby omega » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

May I add kids who think they have to "entertain" the whole bus with their bad German gangsta rap from their crappy mobile phone speakers?
Bonus points if they start to make fun of you or bitch at you for asking them if they could please use headphones.

And to add to someone else's rant about people chewing with their mouth open: It's even more fun when they're eating stuff with heaps of garlic sauce and/or onions. Seriously, people, that stuff STINKS, eat it somewhere you don't annoy anyone with the smell. Like, not in closed public rooms, for example. And if you must, don't wave it under my nose, please.

Liet Kynes

Postby Liet Kynes » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

omega wrote:May I add kids who think they have to "entertain" the whole bus with their bad German gangsta rap from their crappy mobile phone speakers?
Bonus points if they start to make fun of you or bitch at you for asking them if they could please use headphones.

And to add to someone else's rant about people chewing with their mouth open: It's even more fun when they're eating stuff with heaps of garlic sauce and/or onions. Seriously, people, that stuff STINKS, eat it somewhere you don't annoy anyone with the smell. Like, not in closed public rooms, for example. And if you must, don't wave it under my nose, please.

its even worse when they don't know the words and they try singing it anyway.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

Loose Change.

And additionally - crappy CAPTCHA that uses a mix of upper and lowercase, along with wierd fonts. Great, now is that a '9', a 'g', or an 'o' with a flourish?
Last edited by emceng on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

wst wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:@wst: I dont think that thats the worst roundabout in England. There are others with 6 mini roundabouts around the centre one, and each on has lanes that go both ways.
That is one of them ;)

There's another one just like that near Canvey Island. Equally as nuts. Who the hell is designing these backwards roundabouts?

On a side note, this is something I often think about when I see extremely bad design. Someone designed it, and they showed their boss, and their boss gave it the OK. Then they showed their boss, who showed some other team, who all okayed it up to the point where it actually becomes a product (or, in this case, a roundabout). Why do they not have at least ONE person in the whole chain who has the balls to say "What the fuck are you guys doing?"

Examples:
Fiat Multipla (Ugly)
Original XBOX Controller (Designed for inhuman hands)
Drive Beer (WTF?)

Oh, yes, and the tedium:
When people start watching a film and constantly ask questions about what's going to happen rather than shutting the fuck up and watching the film.
Last edited by xaeon on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SIG 404 - Signature not found

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

loose change is awesome.

But I HATE the subway in stockholm. The people in charge of it are purposefully and maliciously trying to ruin my life. fuckers.

wst

Postby wst » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

xaeon wrote:
wst wrote:
That is one of them ;)

There's another one just like that near Canvey Island. Equally as nuts. Who the hell is designing these backwards roundabouts?

On a side note, this is something I often think about when I see extremely bad design. Someone designed it, and they showed their boss, and their boss gave it the OK. Then they showed their boss, who showed some other team, who all okayed it up to the point where it actually becomes a product (or, in this case, a roundabout). Why do they not have at least ONE person in the whole chain who has the balls to say "What the fuck are you guys doing?"

This. If you think about it, a normal roundabout does exactly the same thing.
Inefficiency hurts.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Surgery wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Cherry Kiss wrote:so i completely find it annoying when you are walking down the sidewalk or an aisle in a store and people are walking on in the opposite direction on the wrong side. I mean come on! treat sidwalks and such like you would a street you are driving down. If im driving in the wrong lane you are going to look at me and go WTF!!??!!?? so when walking down the sidewalk and you are walking at me and i look at you like you are retarded and expect you to move so i can continue walking dont look at me like you have no idea whats wrong... you are a moron! and stop getting in my way!!!!

It annoys me when people get mad at me for breaking rules that only exist in their heads.

No, I have to agree with CK, I think that's pretty much a de facto rule. Most people seem to obey it pretty well. I mean, look at escalators, if you're facing them which side is the on that is going to move you forwards? Walking up stairs too. I hate it when people walk on the wrong side of the stairs.

This is the first I've heard of this "rule".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:This is the first I've heard of this "rule".

Walking on the wrong side on the London Underground is actually the UK's only remaining crime where capital punishment is an acceptable sentence. FACT.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

xaeon wrote:Walking on the wrong side on the London Underground is actually the UK's only remaining crime where capital punishment is an acceptable sentence. FACT.
NOT FACT. Yes, it is one of the few remaining, but there's also Not Queueing at Bus Stops in an Orderly Manner, among others.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote:loose change is awesome.

I sure hope we're talking about different things, because I was referencing the idiotic 9/11 conspiracy movie.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

oh, I thought you meant piles of coins that you find in your pockets...

haven't seen the movie, and will assume it's utter crap.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote:oh, I thought you meant piles of coins that you find in your pockets...
I strongly disagree. Here in Australia, a 5 cent coin is the smallest change you can get. They are tiny coins and are annoying as all hell. What makes things worse is that you will inevitably have one at all times; if you have one, it is hard to get rid of, and when you dont have one, you are assured that your next transaction will provide you one. Bah.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

...my wallet is filled with so much loose change that I can't close it properly, yet I never have a correct bus fare.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Cheese wrote:...my wallet is filled with so much loose change that I can't close it properly, yet I never have a correct bus fare.
Indeed, and when you are ten cents off from having the correct change, but instead have to break a note.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

I drop my loose change (everything under a quarter) in a jar when I get home. Simple.
clintonius wrote:Finally, do not -- do not -- sit anywhere near me if you're going to chew with your mouth open. Seeing masticated food I can handle. The smacking sound, though, will probably send me flying into a rage, and subsequently I'll send you flying out a window. Particularly if you're an attorney. Aren't you supposed to be refined or something?
Yes. Or breathing heavily. Especially both. Get the fuck away from me, it's creepy, can you not see me wincing?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Yes. Or breathing heavily. Especially both. Get the fuck away from me, it's creepy, can you not see me wincing?
You have no fucking idea. My Dad does it, it's like a 'stressometer'. It's usually quite high. Sometimes I just shout at him to stop. It's really fucking annoying.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:05 am UTC

The fact that words you can rarely use sound the coolest; i.e. defenstration.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:The fact that words you can rarely use sound the coolest; i.e. defenstration.
You take that back or I will defenestrate you right now!
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:The fact that words you can rarely use sound the coolest; i.e. defenstration.
You take that back or I will defenestrate you right now!

Trying to figure out how you'd achieve this over the internet makes me feel extremely discombobulated.

Voco

Postby Voco » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
meaningless expressions ('could of', 'could care less').

While I'm with you on "could of," I have no problem with "could care less." Here's why:

I consider the original to be "couldn't care less," implying that one cares so little that caring less is impossible. This formula works for other things as well. "Your mother couldn't be fatter." Simple enough.

Then, playing on this, come the inventive statements which introduce a (supposedly) humorous exception. "Your mother could gain a few pounds, but changing all the textbooks to list nine planets again would be expensive."

Now, "I could care less" follows the second formula, but with a twist. Because the subject is apathy, the speaker doesn't bother to introduce the exception, demonstrating how little he cares about the subject. It's a joke about the joke, playing on the expectation of the twist which is never delivered. The trouble is that the formula of which this is a modification is itself a modification of the first formula, so some observers ignore the second method and believe this third formula to be simply a corruption of the first.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong, and people really are just corrupting "couldn't care less." Honestly, I could care less, but not without the help of some powerful drugs.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

It drives me insane when someone is teaching me, then they try to tell me "don't try to understand it, and just do it. It will all make sense later."

:?
The liberal media has a hidden agenda!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Surgery wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Cherry Kiss wrote:*walk like you drive*
It annoys me when people get mad at me for breaking rules that only exist in their heads.
*Escalator Observation backing up Walking like you drive*
This is the first I've heard of this "rule".
You've never noticed that most of the people tend to walk on the same side of the path as they drive? Not all, but most? The only thing I really want is for people to have turn signals mounted on their shoulders, so that as you're passing them (If you drive on the right, always pass on the left. Passing on the right makes you a bastard, unless the person in the far left is being a moron. I can only assume the opposite is also true.) you can tell if they're suddenly going to veer right and, after bumping in to you, get pissed off because they don't realize that some people enjoy walking at a pace above Speed:Lethargic Snail
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

So there's no rule where you guys live that you should walk on the opposite side than the one you drive on, on streets with no sidewalks? Because then you won't have cars coming towards you from behind on the side you're walking on.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Now you're mixing traffic. Assuming they're no sidewalk, you walk facing automobile traffic.

In a Pedestrian-Only situation - which is what we're talking about here - you walk on the right side. Even if it's on the left side of the road that the cars are using, you're on the right side relative to the same type of traffic as you are.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

Wow I didn't realize this walking thing would end up turning into such a large discussion. It kinda makes me happy.

Pet peeve: I hate hate hate HATE when parents don't control their kids. Whether it be at the mall, the playground, or a restaurant, you child should not be allowed to act a damn fool while you chit-chat it up with a friend. Smack that kid on the ass and make them stop. It only makes you look like a horrible parent. No one wants to hear them scream while they are eating or watching them run around weaving in and out of people begging to get hurt of taken. Gah! Control the hoodlums. Honestly.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

Return to “General”