Getting a head start on the presidential election.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Griffin

Getting a head start on the presidential election.

Postby Griffin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:52 am UTC

By this time, four years ago, I'd seen the footage from the democratic convention, and heard what people were saying about him, and called Obama right then and there. Mostly loudly to all my friends, and there's now probably no record of it on the internet, but I had him pegged since like two weeks after the last election. Mostly, I'm pretty sure I just got lucky - but I know I'm not the only one who thought he could make it.

So here's the question - Who is the next president going to be after Obama?

Now's the time to cast your early votes!

Oh, and it will totally be President Palin. ;)

Edit: I think it was four years ago anyway... I've got a poor sense of time. It could have been two. In that case, I'll just post again in two more years. But feel free to still guess! Also someone tell me when Obama spoke at the convention.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

mrbaggins

Re: Getting a head start on the presidential election.

Postby mrbaggins » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Pffft, the republicans are already severing all their ties with Palin. Give it 12 months and no-one will remember her.

As for President, GO RANDAL!
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:48 am UTC

I don't know who will be the next president, but I'm still entertaining a fond hope that Dennis Kucinich will get into high(er) office.

I do think that Obama will be reelected in 2012, though.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:07 am UTC

well whoever it is, the world ends before they go into office..

.. or perhaps it will be the election that ends the world..

Socal Swimmer

Postby Socal Swimmer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:14 am UTC

i think obama will be president.

there, i won.
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

seladore

Postby seladore » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:31 am UTC

Palin is dead and buried. The republicans dislike her pretty openly as far as I know - she hasn't got a chance.

I'm going to call 2012 for Obama.

In addition, I'm going to call 2016 for Ralph Nader, 2020 for Anne Coultier, and 2024 for Nixon's head atop a giant robot body.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:02 am UTC

I would be sorely tempted to vote for robo-nixen... despite knowing it would be a poor choice...

Anyways, no rising up and comers in either party? Someones got to have seen some inklings of wonder from some small time nobody with big dreams somewhere!
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:08 am UTC

I'm going to say Obama '12, the Ronpaul '16 and '20, Robo-Nixon '24, and Headless Agnew '28.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:12 pm UTC

I think the US would have been attacked by aliens several times before then. If it survives said attacks, it'll be Bruce Wayne.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Indon

Postby Indon » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

The democrats have Obama for the time being, and the republicans are kinda having trouble actually being a party, so I can't see very far into the future in that respect. '12'll be Obama, probably.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

Honestly, I kinda hope the Republican party splits into two - the Party of Palin, and the party of reasonable republicans...
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

seladore

Postby seladore » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:Honestly, I kinda hope the Republican party splits into two - the Party of Palin, and the party of reasonable republicans...

That would be such a superb outcome to this whole fiasco. Palin becomes figurehead for new republican movement, splinters away from the main party. Becomes fringe group, and is sidelined. America is left with two reasonable parties, similar to any normal western democracy.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:26 am UTC

seladore wrote:America is left with two reasonable parties, similar to any normal western democracy.

Note that most 'normal western democracies' have more than major two parties with representation.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:39 am UTC

I dunno, but I'm gonna run as a 3rd party candidate to steal Obama's votes.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:44 am UTC

In 2012, Obama. In 2016, Palin. In 2020, the survivors will probably re-elect her.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:18 am UTC

++$_ wrote:In 2012, Obama. In 2016, Palin. In 2020, the survivors will probably re-elect her.
You make a major assumption. That there will be survivors. (When I said that to muself I pronounced survivors like Bullwinkle would... Sor-vive-ors. It made me laugh.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

I wouldn't have fled to Canada if McCain had won.

I might if Palin wins in '16.

Unless she can find it on a map by then.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

Wait, if she wins in 2016, I'll already have gone to Canada. That's one of my main plans after I leave college. Fuck the USA.

Unless, of course, Obama fixes shit up. I'm happy we elected him, but that doesn't change mah plans.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

Obama in 2012, because I'm pretty confident that, while he may not fulfill every promise he's made, he shouldn't screw things up badly enough to not get re-elected. We re-elected Dubya, after all. Afterwards, who knows? Biden could take a shot--he may be too old by then, I'm not sure. Hillary is still alive, but without an aura of inevitability may not be a serious contender. For the Republicans, Mike Huckabee. That's all I'm saying.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

roc314

Postby roc314 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

I personally think that whoever wins the election in 2016 after Obama leaves office will be someone who wasn't involved in the election this year. I think that we will probably see whoever wins in 2016 run in 2012 but not make it to the presidency, but win during the next election.
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:59 am UTC

2012 won't be Obama. This country's problems aren't all fixable before campaigning begins in late 2009.

2012 will fall to whomever the Democrats see fit to nominate - probably Hillary, maybe Rudy Giuliani (yes, as a democrat. If he does not throw his support behind Obama and the democratic party, and then runs as a republican in 2012, he will fall flat on his face.)

Both Hilary and Rudy will prove to be fucking disasterzones and SEVERELY undermine the nation, leading to a republican revival in 2016. The republican nominee (Rudy, if he doesn't defect to the democrats in 2012) will win the election, though congress will be heavily democratically controlled, causing every issue to be deadlocked and nothing to get done. This do-nothing presidency will terminate in 2020 with the election of the Ronpaul, or a similarly crazy-out-of-his-fucking-mind successor.

Every remaining support structure will have collapsed by 2024. I will run in 2024, campaigning on the platform of "I'm not a politician, and politicians have been fucking things up, so lets turn this joint into a proper democracy." I, along with those that I recruit to join me as congresspeople, will win the majority of our districts and begin the reconstruction of the nation in a properly democratic image.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Biden in 2012. Depending on when Obama is assassinated, Biden might or might not be eligible to run in 2016. Either way, Hillary will be too old to be electable, so it's anybody's guess who we'll get then. Maybe Palin will have learned enough to be a decent president.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:52 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:Biden in 2012. Depending on when Obama is assassinated, Biden might or might not be eligible to run in 2016. Either way, Hillary will be too old to be electable, so it's anybody's guess who we'll get then. Maybe Palin will have learned enough to be a decent president.

I didn't realize Hilary recently celebrated her 70th birthday. Girl looks good for a geriatric.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

seladore

Postby seladore » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:17 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:Biden in 2012. Depending on when Obama is assassinated, Biden might or might not be eligible to run in 2016. Either way, Hillary will be too old to be electable, so it's anybody's guess who we'll get then. Maybe Palin will have learned enough to be a decent president.

Why are people assuming that Obama is more likely to be assassinated? Because he reminds people of Kennedy?

I know some people dislike him 'cos he's black, but many people dislike Bush with equal venom. I can't see it happening, to be honest.

roc314

Postby roc314 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:32 am UTC

seladore wrote:I know some people dislike him 'cos he's black, but many people dislike Bush with equal venom. I can't see it happening, to be honest.
Well to be fair, the people who hate Obama for his race are more likely to try to assassinate him than the people who dislike Bush for his policies (much like those who dislike Obama for his policies probably won't try to assassinate him--but they are not the ones to be worried about). I do think there will be at least one attempt or plot, but I'm pretty confidant in the quality of our Secret Service. Obama will live.

seladore

Postby seladore » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:28 am UTC

That is very true, I hadn't thought of that.

I agree that the secret service will be able to protect him though. I'm guessing that they have become much, much better funded and equipped since 1963.

roc314

Postby roc314 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:37 am UTC

And hopefully Obama isn't stupid enough to drive around sitting in the back seat of a convertible through crowded streets (what with all the people who crazies who can't stand the idea of a black man in power). You have no excuse to risk it. We would much prefer our good presidents to be living.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

I didn't realize Hilary recently celebrated her 70th birthday. Girl looks good for a geriatric.
Not quite GMILF though.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Return to “General”