How do you deal with failure?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Syntax

How do you deal with failure?

Postby Syntax » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

I've been studying for my first actuarial exam now for about 2 months and I'm realizing that I don't have the ability to pull it off. The exam is this upcoming monday. I guess I can take solace in the fact that around 70% of people fail it on any given test date and I can always re-take it but still; I've worked really hard and this is going to sting.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Re: How do you deal with failure?

Postby Zamfir » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Wouldn't it be better to think about the effects of failure after you have done the test and gotten the results?

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

Yeah, you're definitely not going into this with the right mindset. You're setting yourself up for failure.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

If there's no real consequence to failing (going on a record or costing a ton of money to retake or something), I don't see any reason not to take it. Worst case scenario you come out of it with a better understanding of the test you're going to eventually have to pass, which should help with even retaking the test with the same amount of prep as before.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

Oh the mirth.
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 2469 times

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

By killing myself

lol not really but im sure someone might

edit: just read your post and realised that that was a bit of an insensitive thing to say, you have my humble apologies.
I would say only think about what result you got when you actually have it, anything else is worthless speculation.
Last edited by Paranoid__Android on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

Judging from what I've seen in the past, those who've worked really hard but still don't think they've done enough are those most likely to do well on the test. Just give it your best shot and see what happens - and don't worry about how it went until you get the results back.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

It really depends how hard I tried. If I tried really hard and failed at something, I would be pissed, but quickly realize that wasn't the right course for me to begin with (not the right man for that job). I would probably laugh at myself and move on, no point in stressing. If I didn't try/study, its probably something I'm not interested in to begin with. If only life were that simple.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

Paranoid Android wrote:By killing myself

edit: just read your post and realised that that was a bit of an insensitive thing to say, you have my humble apologies.
I would say only think about what result you got when you actually have it, anything else is worthless speculation.
This post made me laugh because I almost simply said something along the lines of "do what I do. Don't fail in the first place".
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Syntax

Postby Syntax » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

I could really make you feel bad by telling you that part of the reason I'm not ready for the exam is I spent about two and a half weeks in a mental hospital recently! But meh, lol, I laughed at the post too. No worries! :D

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:07 am UTC

I usually just end up being moody for a little while, then forcing myself to think of other things, and eventually becoming okay with it. Pretty much how I deal with all unpleasant emotions.

You really have to stop telling yourself you'll fail, though, because that actually does make you more likely to fail. You don't need to try and fool yourself into thinking you'll ace it, but you should at least be optimistic. For me this usually involves thinking I'll "just do okay" on a test.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Think over what mistake I made and what the correct action would be. Try to remember it next time. Feel smug that I still got 96%. ;-)

And yeah, if you've convinced yourself you're not going to do well, you're not going to do well.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:50 am UTC

i get into a bad mood for a few minutes, then move onto something else.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel
Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:17 am UTC

I see suicide has already been mentioned, damn! :(

Play Duke Nukem 3D . . . that always makes me feel beter after failing at something! :twisted:

corbin

Postby corbin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:20 am UTC

I stopped caring a long time ago.

Kinda bad x.x.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:36 am UTC

If I were ever to fail, I would simply deny everything.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:32 am UTC

Given that my definition of "fail" is usually about equal to my friends' definitions of "go well" when I "fail" I kinda shrug it off.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:52 am UTC

To be perfectly honest, I suck at failure. I pretend that I do not care, but really... Not doing something well really affects me. Even if I put minimal effort into it.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Given that my definition of "fail" is usually about equal to my friends' definitions of "go well" when I "fail" I kinda shrug it off.

I forgot to note: I also fail, by this definition, quite a lot.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Kung Fu Fury

Postby Kung Fu Fury » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Depends: if its something I did not care about to begin with, I forget about it. If its something important to me, I go through a phase of feeling pissed off and stuffing my face with food, and then I pull myself together and I try again. I hate failing at things; makes me feel inadequate and stupid.

And yes, Flesh_of_the_Fallen_Angel, Duke Nukem makes EVERYTHING better :twisted:

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:13 am UTC

Just remember:

Failure is success rounded down.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Synthuir

Postby Synthuir » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 am UTC

Angua wrote:Just remember:

Failure is success rounded down.

That's good, I'll put that on my college application.
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:24 am UTC

Get the t-shirt

Dinosaur comics, second only to xkcd.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

HarleyQuinn

Postby HarleyQuinn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:57 am UTC

like, actual failure?

usually be trying again until I succeed; then I can say fuckit and forget all about it
Magnanimous wrote:I used to be really into nostalgia a few years ago. Man, those were the days.

Synthuir

Postby Synthuir » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:00 am UTC

I guess it's sort of related...

But, sometimes, out of the blue, I'll miss something, and be like, "Ohh... shit, here it goes again. I didn't hear what that person said, but it was too random and insignificant to go up and ask them... they've probably already forgotten anyways..."

I don't know why I do it, but it's something with me not being able to deal with not knowing something. I beat myself up over it, until I forget (which is sometimes hours, and I can still remember the last time...)
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.

Syntax

Postby Syntax » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Well I failed. No big surprise.

and to answer my own question: Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

You remind me of me when I get on chan sites too much then try to go on mature forums.

When I fail, I tend to think I'm simply stupid or not valuable to the world. I usually combat it by telling myself, "hey, if I really tried I could of done it; I'm just lazy." Even if it's not true, I still feel a lot better :p.
The liberal media has a hidden agenda!

Mr.RobLikesBrunch

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Not good.

(I try to be as modest as possible, but there's no good way of saying this without "boasting" in some form...)

I rarely get anything below an A, so if I get say a B I feel like I've slacked off (and failed), and then I will completely overdue any homework assignment and such just because it makes me feel as if I'm trying hard in the class, even though it will have no effect upon my grade. Then once I get an A again in the class, I'm back to pretty much doing no work whatsoever. :)

I think of High School classes as classes designed for your average person, even if they're AP classes. So when I do poorly, I feel like I'm of average intelligence and that just gets to me...I don't want to be part of the median. :evil:

So yeah, that's me. I'm probably going to get screwed in college because of it (med school, woo!).

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

to deal with failure, i first take the initial facepalm, then sleep for 3 and 3/7 days, which then allows my mind to recuperate, or, alternatively, i bang my head against a hard surface until the failure goes away.

thats how i managed to get my GCSE's, i just kept banging my head till they felt sorry for me :mrgreen:

Return to “General”