The Spider (Image) From Hell

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mrbaggins

Re: The Spider (Image) From Hell

Postby mrbaggins » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:37 am UTC

They infact quite like water, and a common cause for bites is to attempt to remove them from a pool in which they have inadvertently fallen into.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:10 am UTC

Where I live, the only spiders are wolf spiders, which are mostly harmless, daddy longlegs, which are likewise, and brown recluse spiders and black widows, which will fuck you up. As such, all spiders take close examination, and the black ones or weird looking brown ones get mashed into spider paste.
I can kill you with my brain.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:09 am UTC

Ati wrote:Where I live, the only spiders are wolf spiders, which are mostly harmless, daddy longlegs, which are likewise, and brown recluse spiders and black widows, which will fuck you up. As such, all spiders take close examination, and the black ones or weird looking brown ones get mashed into spider paste.

Or maybe spider pie?
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:45 am UTC

Does it taste any good?
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:35 pm UTC

If some of the big legs are too hairy you can pick them out and give them to your father.

returnaddress

Postby returnaddress » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:09 am UTC

Looks cool. I wonder where it finds food in that building.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:31 am UTC

Chfan wrote:If some of the big legs are too hairy you can pick them out and give them to your father.

hehe I love that strip.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:44 am UTC

Spoiler:

Also, I'm not gonna sleep for a week. Awesome

And never ever going to Australia. ever.

Did I say not going to australia? I did? good
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

Where's the statue in the second one?

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:Where's the statue in the second one?

The url is http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/?p=6992 I assume San Fran somewhere

SPOILER: THEY'RE EVOLVING AND BREEDING WITH US! RUNNNN...*cough sputter die*
Spoiler:
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Destructonaught

Postby Destructonaught » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:00 am UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:
Spoiler:

Also, I'm not gonna sleep for a week. Awesome

And never ever going to Australia. ever.

Did I say not going to australia? I did? good

I just moved into a new house where the doors and windows SUCK at closing, and there is an abundant source of spiders where I live

this sums my country up completely: (don't look if you don't want to see any more spiders)

Spoiler:

ninjacore

Re: The Spide (Image) From Hell

Postby ninjacore » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:06 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:Not all spiders are bad. Some can be downright cute...
Spoiler:
I knew I'd eventually get to use this picture again. :D

The OPs picture was scary but this one. AAGHHH. It's definetly from hell, no question.

Wars are inherently exercises in unleashing and restraining chaos. The clash of opposing sides unleashes primal passions, which can only be controlled through enormous effort.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:15 am UTC

I was sitting in the car last night, reading by streetlight. And then a huntsman shadow ran across my page. Luckily it turned out not to have been on the inside of the windscreen. I got out the other side, and by then it had run diagonally across to the rear on that side. Didn't want to hit it with my new book, and couldn't kick it with the parking meter in the way. By the time I'd got around the meter, the damn thing had crawled under the car. So then I went and waited for sheol in the foyer. And then had a paranoid ride home :P

Which reminds me, I totally have to spray the car...
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Destructonaught

Postby Destructonaught » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:I was sitting in the car last night, reading by streetlight. And then a huntsman shadow ran across my page. Luckily it turned out not to have been on the inside of the windscreen. I got out the other side, and by then it had run diagonally across to the rear on that side. Didn't want to hit it with my new book, and couldn't kick it with the parking meter in the way. By the time I'd got around the meter, the damn thing had crawled under the car. So then I went and waited for sheol in the foyer. And then had a paranoid ride home :P

heh. My cousin once got into her car to drive somewhere before looking in the rear view mirror and seeing a giant huntsman spider on the back ledge of it (she had a '95 mitsubishi lancer). She completely freaked out and had to get my uncle to kill it for her.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:51 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:I was sitting in the car last night, reading by streetlight. And then a huntsman shadow ran across my page. Luckily it turned out not to have been on the inside of the windscreen. I got out the other side, and by then it had run diagonally across to the rear on that side. Didn't want to hit it with my new book, and couldn't kick it with the parking meter in the way. By the time I'd got around the meter, the damn thing had crawled under the car. So then I went and waited for sheol in the foyer. And then had a paranoid ride home :P

Where I used to work I'd get huntsmen crawling onto my car every few months. Not common enough to get you used to it, but common enough to be freaking annoying.

You'd start driving off and then there'd be this spider darting up the windscreen, and you don't want to put on the wipers since it's summer and you've got your window down. So you start winding that up while you're trying to speed up, but it doesn't even matter if you hit 100kph, he'll hang on like the dickens.
And you just know that when you slow down he'll start moving again and he'll go right to the roof and sit in the door sill and you never see him again till it's time to get out of the car and you open the door and jump out as quick as you can. :evil:

Frickin huntsmen... The house can be chock full of daddy long legs' and I don't care... But fricking huntsmen...
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:01 am UTC

Daddy long legs are great - they eat other spiders. I mean, probably not huntsmen, but certainly white-tails and redbacks.

Sheol stopped at the lights on his motorcycle once, and a huntsman crawled down onto his visor and back up to the top of his helmet. He kept riding to work, sometimes going as much as 100km/h, and when he got there and took off his helmet, it was still sitting on the top of it. Those fuckers hang on.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:05 pm UTC

So tempted to report this thread. Reason: spiders freak me out.

I looked at the OP picture for about 0.2 seconds, and now I can't even touch my hands together.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:Daddy long legs are great - they eat other spiders. I mean, probably not huntsmen, but certainly white-tails and redbacks.

I love daddy long-legses because you can watch their entire lives unfold in the corner of your rooms, and watch them do loads of spidery things. I've seen one reel in another spider by it's own web, rolling up the line like an extension cable. I've seen another spider deliberately run into a third spider's web to its certain death in order to avoid tangling with one.

Huntsmen are the worst house spiders I have ever dealt with. They come in to my flat when it is cold outside, like it is right now. What a time to read this thread! Had a small one in my bedroom for four day two weeks ago, and before that a big one, more than hand sized, on the screen door for a week. The small one got thrown out in a glass, the big one was allowed to go its own way, free of interference.

The problem for me isn't that I dislike spiders. I find them endlessly fascinating. It is that they occupy my subconscious continuously. I dream about them regularly, and as I awake, I often full-on hallucinate them on the walls around me, and it can take several cycles of closing my eyes, believing the spider isn't real, and looking again before it stops appearing.And when the hallucination goes away, it actually crawls into the wall, because just not being there would be too easy. So I don't like huntsmen in my home. I worry that seeing them around me might turn the hallucinations/dreams scary, where at the moment they are benign.

Probably, I'm leaving Australia in a few months. Nothing will worry me back in the UK...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

I have occasional spider dreams. Well actually, all manner of bug dreams, but it seems to start with spiders. But it's weird, they'll crawl all over me and stuff, but I'm not afraid or freaking out... And they never bite or hurt me.

I have a feeling if I woke up and hallucinated spiders sinking into the walls it'd be a different story, though.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

No, actually my guys are totally benign in my dreams. Never been bitten, nor even threatened.

An extremely abridged version of one of the dreams/hallucinations involves me waking up to see a carpet of web across my entire bed, from the bookshelf above to the far edge of the bed, like the wall of a tent. I didn't believe it could be there for a second, but I just couldn't not see it, no matter how many times I tried. So I slid sideways out of the covers to avoid disturbing the web, and walked to the light switch. I turned it on. And there was no web there. But just as I was about to get back into bed, I saw a daddy long legs sitting in a web a foot above where my head was as I slept. I'd have gotten it right in the face if I had sat up, but I hadn't seen it at all. Dumb luck, as they say. But then the little guy decided to go for a run, and managed to cover the entire ceiling of my room, about 100sq ft. without ever touching it. It went everywhere up there, and every inch was covered in web. My entire bedroom was one massive contiguous web. The spider didn't survive my fencing sabre taking an interest in it, and the web was swept up the next day. But that was more than a little disturbing, even though the little guy was harmless.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:12 pm UTC

Dude! ..the fuck?

:shock:

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

I've noticed daddy long legs take refuge in the top corner of the ceiling above the shower. There is always one there. I don't disturb them, they're harmless in my opinion and eat other spiders. We do get these creepy fucking spiders though... long legs smallish body and I can't identifiy them they look dangerous though so I just squash them.

Speaking of spiders in cars: Many years ago my mother, grandmother, brother and I were going somewhere and we got in the car and my grandmother pulled down the thing to block the sun from her eyes and a huntsman fell into her lap and she screamed. My brother who had already rolled the window down before this jumped out the window so fast he could have caught up to some tachyons... It was absolutely hilarious. Spiders though, are the creepiest things on Earth.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Last edited by gibberishtwist on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

Hefty One

Postby Hefty One » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:48 am UTC

Who would get that close to take a picture?

The dad spider could be right behind them...

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:48 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:Dude! ..the fuck?

:shock:

Well, there were always these spiders on the ceiling of my room. They share webs, so every one that set up shop in my room for months had probably been adding to the thing, until there was no more space, when they started building downwards, over my bed. It was completely invisible, which is the strange thing. usually their webs go dusty and cobwebbed fairly quickly. But then, I can't see the ones that don't... I don't think the dreaming thing is too hard to fathom, considering I slept under the things for a good decade, and stared at them fascinated every chance I got.

In the garage outside my house the roof was entirely covered with a very thick carpet of web from the same guys, but this one had a fully grown adult about every five inches, and the web was dense enough to obscure the ceiling in parts. They just walked around each other all day. The dense parts were nests, and had the biggest spiders carrying egg sacs.

For the record, they couldn't kill you if they could bite you. They can actually bite you, but they don't. I suspect if may be like a snake that doesn't bite when you are holding it, because you're the ground, and biting the ground would be stupid. Their venom is almost completely harmless, apparently it would be like a mosquito bite at worst.

Gazared

Postby Gazared » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:47 am UTC

All this talk of scary ass-spiders, and still nobody has posted a picture of the scariest spiders ever.

Spoiler:
Goddamn!

Spoiler:
Oh shit. oh shit, oh shit, oh shit.

I'm going to have nightmares tonight. [pout]Thanks, everybody.[/pout]

Ugh... Referencing xkcd on the xkcd forums. Obvious, much?
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yikidy do yikidy da ping pong lippy tappy tootah.
- Advice from the 10th Doctor

alias.exe

Postby alias.exe » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:35 am UTC

Ahhhhhhh fuck that OP! I must have looked at it for about half a second, then slammed my laptop lid and started whimpering. I live in Australia...and I would say I'm pretty arachnophobic.

Day-um :shock: :| :(

Marionette

Postby Marionette » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:05 pm UTC

Ann_on_a_mouse wrote:This thread needs more camel spider.
Spoiler:

Although, in all fairness, the 'camel spider' is NOT in fact a spider. It's a solifugae or solpugid (hence having 10 legs, not 8 etc.) - they are most closely related to psuedoscorpions, such as whip-tail scorpions and the like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae

I have 2 specimens of solifugae preserved and bottled on the fridge next to me, but unfortunately I don't have a present means to get a picture of them onto my computer. :(

additionally, just to help the phobic forumites have another thing to contemplate, I present to you sea spiders: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_spider. Although, upon further investigation one would note they are entirely harmless (and not kinda harmless, but rather the vast majority cannot bite a human at all - let alone cause damage). Honestly, I mostly wanted to bring them up because I spent a couple years doing research on them for university and I rarely get the opportunity to bring it up in conversation. :wink:

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

So, while we're on the topic... it is very important that someone confirms my belief that this cannot be real, even though it was claimed to be with no apparent attempt at or motivation for humor.

Clever Lisbeth

Postby Clever Lisbeth » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

Move forward one step, look up, and zoom in. You can see where the web is held together in places to the left with... something. Can't vouch for the fakeness of the spider itself though. That is Australia we're talking about.

Edit: I should fake-clockspider one of the classrooms at school.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Not sure if this is the best place for sharing spider stories, but hey, good enough for me.

I visited Australia some time ago. Stayed at this one fairly nice hotel, but ended up bitten by... something... during the night. Figured it was bedbugs, but then the bites swelled up and hurt. Asked for the maids to change all my bedding and linens, then left for the day. I came back and found the following message on my bed: (from memory, I wish I kept the note)

Dear Guest,
Changed the sheets and blankets, checked bed for mystery biters. Nothing more than a nest of spiders. All is clean.
- Cleaning Crew

Are all Australians this nonchalant about finding a nest of spiders on/in/under their bed??

...Oh great. I got the "thinking-about-spiders uncontrollable shudders and spasms" again. *twitch*
...It made more sense in my head.

Xutar

Postby Xutar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 am UTC

You know who's had it too easy so far? GIANT CENTIPEDES!!!
Spoiler:

One on a guys arm for size comparison.
Spoiler:

One about to devour a mouse:
Spoiler:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:06 am UTC

Kaelri wrote:So, while we're on the topic... it is very important that someone confirms my belief that this cannot be real, even though it was claimed to be with no apparent attempt at or motivation for humor.

Youtube
Still Image
Given that it's attached to a museum, I can only assume some spider-themed exhibit. Or Xibit.

(Sup dawg, I herd u liek spiders so we put a spider on yo spider so u can freak the fuck out while u freak the fuck out.)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:15 am UTC

Xutar wrote:You know who's had it too easy so far? GIANT CENTIPEDES!!!

So, not to incriminate anyone, but a prominent member of the administration is deathly afraid of said centipedes, so...

Expect the deathsquad to arrive in 32-46 hours.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:
Dear Guest,
Changed the sheets and blankets, checked bed for mystery biters. Nothing more than a nest of spiders. All is clean.
- Cleaning Crew

Are all Australians this nonchalant about finding a nest of spiders on/in/under their bed??

...Oh great. I got the "thinking-about-spiders uncontrollable shudders and spasms" again. *twitch*
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that in that situation, the nest of spiders was only comprised of babies. They're less harmless than adults, pretty much by law. An adult, dangerous spider was presumably not found.

On the topic of nests of spiders, I have a story. I used to have an aviary in my backyard, with quail and parrots and such. After the aviary had been vacated, we left the thing there for a while. Couple of months later, I go up to clear it out and take it down. Open the nesting box of the parrots, and nearly drop the damn thing because it was full of huntsmen and hunstmen babies. Apparently they'd just taken up breeding in it for a while, probably because it was nice and dark and moist. The sight was abso-fucking-lutely scary. I put the box down quickly and grabbed a hose and sprayed the fuckers out - the most violent I've ever been towards animals, ever.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Xutar

Postby Xutar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:29 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

So, not to incriminate anyone, but a prominent member of the administration is deathly afraid of said centipedes, so...

Expect the deathsquad to arrive in 32-46 hours.

My little brother? He still wears footy-pajamas so "they can't crawl up my leg while I'm sleeping."
He held a tarantula at a Zoo, it's just centipedes that cause him to spazz out.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

I have done much research on the topic. Observe my results:
Spoiler:
SCIENCE!.JPG
SCIENCE!.JPG (16.08 KiB) Viewed 12483 times

gerb

Postby gerb » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

It was surprisingly easy for me to fall asleep last night after seeing all those spiders.
Anything I felt was most definitely a deadly spider and its minions, but I was asleep in no time... Odd.

Spiders are fine if they stay away from me and out of my room. -.-
But if they're hiding...

Spoiler:
I would be really scared to find that sitting next to me.
"In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."
-Sir_Elderberry

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

Ohmygosh I don't know why I clicked those pictures when I knew what was in them augh I love spiders they are awesome but centipedes ohmygoshaughaughaugh *dissolves into a quaking mass of fear*
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

I'm glad I don't live near one of those giant things, I'd probably be scared to death of them. But now hopefully I can convince people not to freak out when they see tiny insects near them. That annoys me to no end.

Return to “General”