What's your Christmas day go like

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Peter_G

What's your Christmas day go like

Postby Peter_G » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:18 am UTC

5 days to go, bored, may as-well start a thread :)
If you're not a bot, you're a creepy motherfucker

Chfan

Re: What's your Christmas day go like

Postby Chfan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

We go out and eat Chinese food.

We're Jewish.

No, I'm kidding, actually half of my grandparents are Christian, so we go over to their house and get presents for being Jewish.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Awesome. Go around the block to friends of the family's house, eat way too much, drink a bit, and enjoy. Really good food, good company, and an utter lack of family drama, mostly due to us not actually being related. Also, it means I get to see people who, at this point, I haven't seen since June.

1hitcombo

Postby 1hitcombo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Family and family friends aren't Christian. My parents only did Christmas for my brother and me as kids because it was what other kids did and didn't want us to feel like the loser kids who didn't get Christmas gifts and have Christmas dinner and similar things.

Christmas day is similar to thanksgiving in my house, a reason to gather the 2 other relatives in the states for a night. Christmas is often bigger though because we often are with family friends.

Christmas gifts don't really happen anymore. We buy em for the the kids of relatives and friends. We bring wine for the family. I occasionally get money in little red bags.

We cook up a lot of Chinese food and some more western dishes like mashed potatoes. It's delicious.

Overall very relaxed and good catch-up times with people.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

I miss when I was little and we'd open presents early.
Now one of my brothers is in Florida and I miss him horribly.

We usually open presents around 10 or 11 and have dinner around 4 or 5. Nothing too exciting but it's nice to have most of the family together and getting along.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Peter_G

Postby Peter_G » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

Well I'm not Christian and I still celebrate it, more of an excuse to spend time with family and give/receive presents.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

Probably doing nothing exciting. On Christmas Eve, on the other hand, I'm with a bunch of relatives and give presents and all that.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

I have 3 siblings, 2 under the age of ten. Christmas is fun, lots of wrapping paper, assembling, battery-inserting...food, alcohol...not too bad at all. Occaisionally family drama but my parents are getting better...will help that I'm only there from the afternoon of 23rd til the 29th :P
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

1hitcombo

Postby 1hitcombo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Peter_G wrote:Well I'm not Christian and I still celebrate it, more of an excuse to spend time with family and give/receive presents.

Excuse is certainly the better word. I sometimes wonder if my family only gets together because of holidays or if holidays are just a convenient time to do so.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

Some might argue that Christmas, while for Christians it celebrates Christ's birthday, might celebrate the good virtues that he stood for. Like love, selflessness, and all that.

I'm an atheist, but I celebrate Christmas. I have more exciting plans for Christmas Eve though. I'm dressing up as Santa Claus and walking about town. Hopefully it'll snow. hopefully. On Christmas, I'm pretty sure we have a family gathering at around 5 or 6.
Last edited by Ramses IV on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

I love christmas because I get to see my relatives that live in st louis. It's about the only time I get to see them too. We usually all gather around the tree around 10 or so and open presents, then have a kick-ass breakfast. Then I'd go out my grams, get money, and eat a kick-ass dinner. This year though my mom and I are going to phoenix to see my sister since she's working and can't get time off...she has to work on christmas too. But it should be fun :D
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

Religious family, so we go to mass in the morning. Go see some relatives after that, then go home and sit around for a while before a massive dinner. It's good fun, but could honestly be better.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Ann_on_a_mouse

Postby Ann_on_a_mouse » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

I roll out of bed whenever I wake up. That's usually around noon, but could be later if I was up late the night before. After that, I go about my business as usual. Sometime in the evening my immediate family (mom, stepdad, brothers, sister, her boyfriend) go to where the tree is. Once we're all together, we have to find a glass pickle decoration on the tree. I'm told this is a German tradition, I have my doubts about this though. Whoever finds the pickle is given some kind of special gift as a reward.
Once the pickle hunt is over, we do a small gift exchange. My extended family usually does their celebration on the Saturday after Christmas because of scheduling conflicts.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

Ann_on_a_mouse wrote:Once we're all together, we have to find a glass pickle decoration on the tree. I'm told this is a German tradition, I have my doubts about this though. Whoever finds the pickle is given some kind of special gift as a reward.

That's awesome.

Anyway, at 16 I still can't prevent myself from waking up at 4 AM in excitement (used to be worse - I'd wake up every half hour to an hour, look at the clock hoping it's time to get up - but it's still only 2:30), and my sister does too. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to open any presents (except stockings, which get left outside our rooms (however, they have lots of candy, and normally some other small gift (and also, something healthy that my parents are trying to get me to eat instead of the candy))) until everyone gets up, which is normally 8 or 9 (so I have to wait an agonizing 4-5 hours while they finally wake up, make breakfast and coffee). But then we open tons of presents (my grandparents are very generous), which is fun times all around. We normally go to mass at 11 or 12, because my grandparents are catholic (my parents are Quakers, but we don't attend a meeting because neither of my parents like any of the ones where we live). Spend the day messing around with whatever presents we've gotten, then have an incredible dinner because my mom and grandmother are excellent cooks. Then huge and delicious dessert, with pecan, pumpkin, pecan-cranberry, and apple pies with ice cream and whipped cream.

I like Christmas.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Ann_on_a_mouse wrote:I roll out of bed whenever I wake up. That's usually around noon, but could be later if I was up late the night before. After that, I go about my business as usual. Sometime in the evening my immediate family (mom, stepdad, brothers, sister, her boyfriend) go to where the tree is. Once we're all together, we have to find a glass pickle decoration on the tree. I'm told this is a German tradition, I have my doubts about this though. Whoever finds the pickle is given some kind of special gift as a reward.
Once the pickle hunt is over, we do a small gift exchange. My extended family usually does their celebration on the Saturday after Christmas because of scheduling conflicts.

We do this too! Or, we used to. Unfortunately, while celebrated in America as a German tradition, it is no such thing.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:14 am UTC

The last few years since I've been living by myself, xmas has just been a bonus day off work, either spent alone relaxing or hanging out with my girlfriend (if I had one at the time). Normally ended the day by going to a friend's place to tag along at his big family dinner so I didn't feel like a total orphan :P

This year, unfortunately, I've been guilt-tripped into having lunch with my mum and grandma because my mum is sick and just got out of hospital. So I'm gonna have to get up early, get dressed-up then schlep halfway across Melbourne on shitty public-holiday half-volume public transport and have an awkward, stilted lunch then try and find an excuse to leave early enough that my whole day isn't wasted.

God, I'm a grinch.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Ann_on_a_mouse

Postby Ann_on_a_mouse » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:
Ann_on_a_mouse wrote:I roll out of bed whenever I wake up. That's usually around noon, but could be later if I was up late the night before. After that, I go about my business as usual. Sometime in the evening my immediate family (mom, stepdad, brothers, sister, her boyfriend) go to where the tree is. Once we're all together, we have to find a glass pickle decoration on the tree. I'm told this is a German tradition, I have my doubts about this though. Whoever finds the pickle is given some kind of special gift as a reward.

We do this too! Or, we used to. Unfortunately, while celebrated in America as a German tradition, it is no such thing.
I thought it seemed a bit odd, now I'm wondering where it really came from. Thanks for digging that up.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:30 am UTC

Ann_on_a_mouse wrote:
Ramses IV wrote:

I thought it seemed a bit odd, now I'm wondering where it really came from. Thanks for digging that up.

You're welcome. Google is your friend. You start typing in "german pickle" and it'll fill in the rest for you and lead you straight to the myth.
My Blag

Peter_G

Postby Peter_G » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:02 am UTC

1hitcombo wrote:
Peter_G wrote:Well I'm not Christian and I still celebrate it, more of an excuse to spend time with family and give/receive presents.

Excuse is certainly the better word. I sometimes wonder if my family only gets together because of holidays or if holidays are just a convenient time to do so.

IMO, christians stole xmas :), I mean where does a fat man riding round on a magical sleigh powered by magical reindeer delivering presents to kiddies come into the whole son of god thing?

gnat

Postby gnat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

Stress stress, drama drama, stress, drama...
Oh me yarm we're FIVE MINUTES LATE! Why do you kids HAVE to do this to me EVERY SINGLE TIME. I swear you do it ON PURPOSE. I have FAILED AS A MOTHER.
Car travel. Tension, silence, resentment.
Hooray, we're here! Old people. Boredom, boredom, boredom. Annoying little kid cousins.

Presents!

Time to go home.
Stress stress stress, drama drama drama.

Sorry to bring down the mood of the thread, I just... I really don't like Christmas. It just gives people more excuse to rip into each other.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

We open our presents at midnight on Christmas eve, sleep in on christmas day, slap the turkey in and just generally chill out till dinrar.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

She

Postby She » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

My Christmas Day is not actually that exciting (family dinner with grandparents), since the real Christmas celebrating takes place on Christmas Eve. That's ok, because I'm swedish. We can never wait until the actual day, we have to celebrate the eve before.

My Christmas Eve, however, is good fun. Get out of bed, breakfast with gingerbread (and ordinary bread. But I used to just eat the gingerbread and then be full), go to church and sing some carols. Then off to my uncle's house and have Christmas dinner with all the uncle's, aunts, grandparents and cousins on my mother's side. In the evening back to our house with just the grandparents for rice pudding, presents and my grandfather reading the Christmas part of the Bible.
This sounds very Christian, but nowadays this is the most religious event for the entire year for our family. I'm not really Christian myself.
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:You're welcome. Google is your friend. You start typing in "german pickle" and it'll fill in the rest for you and lead you straight to the myth.
I call rule 34.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Eleni

Postby Eleni » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:24 am UTC

When my brothers and I were kids, we would sing in our church's Christmas pageant on Christmas Eve, so we'd go out to an early dinner at a restaurant and then go to church. Christmas morning we'd eat a nice breakfast while opening our stockings--we'd always get a stuffed animal at the top of the stocking--and after breakfast we'd open our presents under the tree. At Christmas dinner we'd usually have my aunt and uncle over, or maybe some family friends. Nothing too big or special.

Christmas definitely seemed more fun and exciting when we were little kids. Now that we're older, we don't get as psyched as we used to. Our dog, however, LOVES Christmas. We always wrap a new toy for her in a gift bag with tissue paper, and she gets to open it. It's usually pretty funny. One time she picked up the bag and brought it over to her doggy bed, but the toy fell out and she didn't notice, so she put the bag down and stuck her head in to sniff through all the tissue paper, and the bag got stuck on her head. She needed help getting it off. But once she finally found the toy, she didn't put it down all day. Dogs are a bit like small children.
http://rpgcalledlife.blogspot.com/
(aka "Maybe if my blog is witty enough someone will finally love me")

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:34 am UTC

I grew up on Coconut Island in Hawaii. Which was the marine lab for the university of Hawaii. Every christmas morning we made it a tradition to go for a swim before breakfast and presents. So Christmas one on coconut island we just jumped in by these boats. Mess around and go get breakfast. Then Christmas year 2 and ever after (for 6 years) we decide that we need to do a lap in the shark pond before we open presents. So we jump in the shark pond do a lap with all the hammerheads and get out to have my brother cook us a fantastic breakfast.

One year my brother had this tiny cut on his foot, so he decided to do his lap with his foot out of the water. And as the lap goes on (its a huge pond). His foot slowly dips into the water. So my dad has the big idea to swim up (all quiet like) and grab his foot to give him a scare. He does so, and my brother makes this huge splash. Thrashes a bit before pretty much running on water back to land. He was not amused with my dad. The cheese burned me lots that day.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Eleni wrote:Dogs are a bit like small children.

Except with sharp teeth. And they can go very fast. And can probably maul your arm off.
My Blag

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:36 am UTC

My family goes to a midnight church service, but I might be skipping that this year. then we sleep till about 8 or 9 (well, everyone but my sister, she gets up at 6 and tries to get everyone else up), then open gifts. the rest of the day is usually spent playing board games with the family, and in the case of Last year, playing Wii games since we had just gotten a Wii.

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:39 am UTC

This. Actually, my family celebrated Hanukkah tonight. My dad's family is Jewish, and my mom's family is Christian, so we just celebrate both. More excuses to get the family together to eat some good food. Hell, I'm even an Atheist myself...

As far as how my Christmas goes, family members start showing up at my house at about 10 in the morning, they exchange presents, grab some food, talk for a while, and leave a couple hours later. People tend to arrive and depart through a 4-5 hour window until 3 or so. Then the rest of the day is for relaxing.
Last edited by ethraax on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:42 am UTC

Visit one set of parents. Visit other set of parents. Try to juggle timing and length of visits so as not to make one side jealous of the other. Fail, probably. Go the fuck home, breathe sigh of relief, enjoy best moment of year, that being the moment when next Christmas is as far in the future as it can possibly be.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Black.Rose.Immortal

Postby Black.Rose.Immortal » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:16 am UTC

Every year:
Get up at 7am.
Open presents from "Santa".
Pack the car, leave by 10am.
Four hour car trip with 3 brothers (only girl).
Meet family, have late lunch.
Have presents.
Clean.
Sleep.
17/F/Australian/weird

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:51 am UTC

Standard Christmas Day:
Wake up between 6 and 7, attempt to get parents out of bed, exchange presents under the tree.
Church at 10, finishes 11:30. Relatives at church (and friends) come back to our place for morning tea.
Afternoon: Prepare Christmas dinner with Mum (we hold it every second year)
About 6: First cousins and grandparents arrive for dinner. Small talk, then exchanging presents, then dinner (Brandy pudding!)

Sort of more important is the family Christmas partty, held on either the Sunday before or two weeks before Christmas.
Arrive at grandparents' about 6.
Night of catching up with first and second cousins, playing table tennis, carols, food, a later poker.

Semi-fortunate that only one side of the family is nearby, the other half (much smaller and less concerned with Christmas) is in Sydney 1000km away.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47 am UTC

Well, I'm caring less about presents and more about catching up with the extended family each year. Unfortunately on christmas itself it will just be my grandparents and my family all of whom I saw today. So relatively uninterestingly, I guess.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:We go out and eat Chinese food.

We're Jewish.

No, I'm kidding, actually half of my grandparents are Christian, so we go over to their house and get presents for being Jewish.

Haha this is so unbelievably true.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

TheCitadel

Postby TheCitadel » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

Well, at home we stay awake during the whole night (that includes opening presents at twelve o'clock, of course), then we sleep for a couple of hours and go have lunch again with the whole family on the 25th. But then again, everybody does that, so it's nothing special. Presents are certainly a big part of the tradition, but food is a lot more important than presents :o It's really nice, everybody tries to bake something and then we pretend to like what the other baked. The good thing is that our baking has improved considerably over the years.
Oh, and I have a lot of Jewish friends who come and celebrate with us, and I myself join them during their festivities, which is really cool, because then you have double-celebrations during the year! (they don't actually celebrate the Christian part of the ceremony, that would be weird, they celebrate our being all together and happy, etcetera)
Fight apathy, or don't.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:

Except with sharp teeth. And they can go very fast. And can probably maul your arm off.

No, dogs have all that too.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

Usually ends up we get up, do presenty stuffs, then go to mass.
But we're going Christmas Eve this year XD
The, visit Aunty, have lunch, open 'Family Presents' and then dinner :)
Good day, in all :)

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

Christmas Eve:
Drive to Mum & Dad's - Have a drink down at the pub with sisters stopping in at Grandma & Granddad's on the way home - Enjoy a Brandy with G&G - Back to Mum & Dad's & bed

Christmas Day:
Wake up, make a cuppa, open presents, make preperations for dinner, grandma & granddad & Uncle arrive, swap more presents, eat, watch Dr Who Christmas special while cursing how much we've eaten, fall asleep on sofa, wake up to realise that Uncle has done all the washing up for us despite us telling him we have a dishwasher for that, talk randomly, sleep

Boxing Day:
Sleep in, go out for a walk with dogs, put presents in car and drive home

Alternate Boxing Day (first done last year):

Entire Family sits in bed/on couch coughing, sneezing and huddling into duvets as they suffer from terrible cold.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

I like Keozen's format here so I'll replicate:

Christmas Eve
Run around in mad panic cleaning/getting whatever we forgot from the grocers. Eat Chinese Take out at about 10 pm before falling into an unconscious heap.

Christmas Day
Wake up at about 10 am, presents, breakfast. Start the turkey and trimmings.
Grandmother visits mid afternoon followed by dinner with some other relatives. Pass out at about 11pm utterly exhausted. I wish they played Dr. Who specials on time here...that'd be a great idea if I could convince anyone else at home that Dr. Who is what we ought to watch. We have two couches...they could even hide behind them.

Boxing Day
When my grandmother still had her house everyone used to go there on boxing day for a pretty big party--I dunno what will happen this year. Shopping? Maybe I'll start a new game on my ds. :|
Rice Puddin.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: What's your Christmas day like?

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

Though I don't exactly have a huge family, and neither does my wife, it still ends up that we end up with multipe events to attend that are both on such different days and times yet several of them at the same time that it becomes annoying for me to get to all of them because, goddamn it, I want to just stay the hell home and not talk to anyone is that so goddamn wrong to want on a day off I mean really?

Anyway, did the stuff with my immediate family this past weekend at my brother's place. Going to do my wife's stuff on Christmas Eve, then going to my cousin's place on Christmas Day.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:
Ramses IV wrote:
No, dogs have all that too.
Oh, snap.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Return to “General”