What's your Christmas day go like

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CJTnoir

Re: What's your Christmas day go like

Postby CJTnoir » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

My family will probably just go to church and then spend the day cooking and eating. Maybe if we feel like it we'll drive around and visit other family (which would be great, since it's an excuse to get presents).
...that's awkward.

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Judging by this thread, Melbourne seems to be the nexus of crappy Christmases. The crappiest one I had was in Melbourne - largely because it was 40 degrees and we were having dinner with some random people we didn't know, who were trying to force beef wellington down our throats.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

I have a schedule to keep.

Christmas Eve
Walk dog at 9am, feed cats and give dog a little food.
Walk dog at 3pm, feed cats and dog.
Get lift to mum's house with grandparents at 4pm.
Spend evening doing some random stuff, bed at 10-11pm, stay up until about 3am watching dvd's with my sister.

Christmas Day
Get up super early to open presents with my little step sister and family, help out with stuff if I'm not lazy, eat food, drink some alcohol, stay up really late with my sister and mum and step dad, probably drinking.

Boxing Day
Get picked up at 9-10am with sister by grandparents, go to dad's house, walk dog and provide food for animals.
Go to grandparent's house at 11am, eat some food, leave at about 2:30.
Walk dog before 3pm.
Get dressed in metal clothing.
Get a taxi/lift to The Snooty Fox (pub) at 3:30, bring guitar and pedals.
At 6pm, get on stage, preferably rather drunk, play for about 40 minutes.
Get off stage, get REALLY drunk.
Get a taxi home with my sister, and hopefully a bunch of other people so we can split the fare.
Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:41 am UTC

fuschia wrote:Judging by this thread, Melbourne seems to be the nexus of crappy Christmases. The crappiest one I had was in Melbourne - largely because it was 40 degrees and we were having dinner with some random people we didn't know, who were trying to force beef wellington down our throats.

cue eff tee
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

tmcfulton

Postby tmcfulton » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:I wish they played Dr. Who specials on time here.

Fuck the CBC, eh? Bastards aren't even airing this year's special, as far as I can tell.

Kaly

Postby Kaly » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:53 am UTC

Christmas?

We are buying gifts on the 26th. Haha. No one will be around when Christmas hits, in my house. So it will just be me and an XBOX and our animals... Who I will no doubt spoil rotten with food all day. I will make cookies and cook dinner and put it all away for when my mother gets home late that night, for her to eat, or to eat it the next day before we actually shop.

We've not had a "real christmas" since I was 4, so it's always a little weird in our house.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:52 am UTC

christmas for me is largely spent with my immediate family and grandparents if lucky. but that's not how it used to be . . . It used to be that christmas eve was a party at my aunts house until nearly 10 p.m. then go home and try to sleep. wake up sometime around 5 or 6 the next morning, when we would all go downstairs to empty our stockings, and then, we would either wait for relatives if christmas was being held at our house, or pack up all the presents and drive to whoevers house it was being held at, have lots of fun talking and opening presents, usually until around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Of course, now, no part of my family wants anything to do with any other part of my family so christmas is a very solitary affair. It really makes me sad.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:23 am UTC

cyberia wrote:
fuschia wrote:Judging by this thread, Melbourne seems to be the nexus of crappy Christmases. The crappiest one I had was in Melbourne - largely because it was 40 degrees and we were having dinner with some random people we didn't know, who were trying to force beef wellington down our throats.
cue eff tee
I'm an anomaly. Yay?

Though Christmas does suck if you insist on doing a full winter meal on a summer day.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Peter_G

Postby Peter_G » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 am UTC

fuschia wrote:who were trying to force beef wellington down our throats.

Is that a metaphor? :shock:
If you're not a bot, you're a creepy motherfucker

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Peter_G wrote:
As long as it wasn't spotted dick.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Peter_G

Postby Peter_G » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

Luthen wrote:
Peter_G wrote:

For a minute there I thought that was a sexual innuendo.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Ok kids, it's officially Christmas eve, and that means one thing! An XKCD tradition!

CatProximity Saves Christmas!
by daveF
Last edited by Sprocket on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Peter_G

Postby Peter_G » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:16 am UTC

possibly the most random song I have ever heard :)

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:16 am UTC

Usually we go to my grandma's (on my dad's side) house on christmas eve, and my one of my uncles' (mom's side) houses christmas day. Chrsitmas morning we have a small family party.

This year however, I'm all grow'd up and living on my own, and my parents and family are out of state. So I'll be at my uncle's christmas party one of the days.

Might see about getting a case of beer and a friend or two over here. Too bad my roommate doesn't drink.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Ok kids, it's officially Christmas eve, and that means one thing! An XKCD tradition!

Wow. That's, um...extremely awesome. I especially liked the Belial reference.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

My mom and her brothers, who all live in NH, take turns hosting Christmas. This year was my mom's turn, and I offered to host it at my house in RI instead. We had it this past weekend because the uncles have other places to go on Christmas Day. One uncle cancelled due to the snow. We anticipated this, and had a pool guessing the time he would actually call to cancel. My dad said 12:05, so I said 12:06. Neither of us won.

We do a Secret Santa for gifts, but four people weren't coming, so the relatives that did show up bought extra small gifts so nobody would be left out. My uncle brought a VHS tape of home movies he shot of Christmas 1987. Ten-year-old me kept asking if I was going to be on TV, but didn't do anything.

I had name tags so people would know where to sit at Christmas dinner. I put my cousins and I at my real dining room table, and our parents at a crappy card table with a cheap paper tablecloth. Vengance was ours, but we forgot to get a picture.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:00 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:
CatProximity wrote:Ok kids, it's officially Christmas eve, and that means one thing! An XKCD tradition!

by DaveF

Wow. That's, um...extremely awesome. I especially liked the Belial reference.
This time last year Okita and scrt_agnt_rbt were perhaps more common around the forums. dSkippy posts occasionally. You all should know Meaux_Pas and Bakemaster.

Anyway, my family is all at my parent's house. It's not at all my house anymore mostly...I guess some things are the same still, but every bedroom has been entirely stripped of any personality of the person who previously lived in it...grrrr. C'est la vi I suppose... friggin' step-persons, feeling threatened by the life that occured in the house before they were there. Anywya, my sister had a baby-thing, and it's here. It's name is Molly, it's very cute and half-asian, and seems to enjoy They Might Be Giant's 'NO!' As well as Tom Waits' 'Chocolate Jesus.' My dad and his wife just went to Midnight Mass. My dad has never been religious and often made fun of it, but I think when your wife dies it has an impact on you...he was fond of saying "there are no athiests in fox holes" back in the day, so I suppose this is kind of an other form of that.
My sister was showing me Flight of the Conchords, which I'd only previously heard. I have their BBC show on MP3. Jermaine looks like an unatractive half-orc version of my boyfriend.
I made Skippy a mix CD...that's my boyfriend, the afore mentioned dSkippy. It's called Roller Derby Exploding Disco Ball!
Ummm....I tried to visit a friend today, it didn't work... she decided she was sick. Ummm.... I got all my presents wrapped at 3 am.... and.... uh... yeah... it's mostly baby around here.
Last edited by Sprocket on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:37 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Dave is famous!
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:29 am UTC

Thank you for bringing this into the world. I call new tradition!

jaysix

Postby jaysix » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:03 am UTC

I'm the youngest at 18 and the family still does the traditional thing. One of my sister's drove down from Portland for Christmas, my brother drove home from about an hour and a half drive for Christmas and my other sister is in LA and can't make the drive up, so it's almost the whole family.

Christmas day starts out around 9 or 10 am, we all go to town on the stockings and then when we open the main presents, someone starts, and whoever opened the present picks a present from under the tree and that person opens it and picks another for someone else, etc.. It's nice, it makes the whole opening presents process last longer and we all hang out and drink cider and eat a delicious breakfast while it's happening.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:07 am UTC

Every year we do the same thing. Get up at 8 a.m. (if I didn't stay up all night) open presents, eat breakfast, play with entertaining presents until either a) we leave for a relatives house or b) the relatives show up at our house. Spend time with my younger cousins, most of whom annoy the hell out of me, eat dinner, open more presents, play games, sleep.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:44 am UTC

Go home after I get off work tonight, sleep, get up, probably play some 2142 and maybe a little WoW, shower, eat, get dressed, go back to work.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

cyberia wrote:

cue eff tee

I was going to disagree, but I got stuck with doing all the dishes...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Jos

Postby Jos » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:
cyberia wrote:

cue eff tee

I was going to disagree, but I got stuck with doing all the dishes...

Thus Melbourne really IS the nexus of crappy christmases!
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

I'm happy to be the exception to the rule, our Christmas was pretty awesome. We held Christmas lunch for the family at our place this year for the first time and it all went well, the weather was awesome, and the presents were good.

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Peter_G wrote:
Luthen wrote:
Peter_G wrote:

For a minute there I thought that was a sexual innuendo.

I wouldn't have minded too much, but it was cold. And had this kind of jelly round the outside of the meat. That ain't festive.

Return to “General”