Managing Links

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jorpho

Managing Links

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

I have resolved to do some long-overdue cleaning this year, and with this notion comes the question: what exactly is the best thing to do with a whole bunch of links?

I don't particularly like bookmarks. They have a nasty tendency of accumulating in the Bookmarks menu, frequently never being visited again after being added, and eventually just cluttering to the point where it's too hard to find something I'm looking for.

For a while I was a big fan of Internet Explorer's "Create a shortcut on the desktop", but that just resulted in a hopelessly cluttered desktop.

Since tabbed browsing has become common, I simply leave tabs open when I mean to look at their content later. This ultimately results in a bazillion tabs being open at any given time, slowing down browser startup and taking up vast amounts of system resources.

There must be a better way. Any suggestions?

DaMullet

Re: Managing Links

Postby DaMullet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

As a combination of the first two, create a desktop folder for your links, occasionally sorting them into subfolders if you care to.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

TheQntty

Postby TheQntty » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

there is a firefox addon (forget the name; I used to use it) that makes it easier to have temporary bookmarks. You can emulate most of its functionality by just making a folder in your main bookmarks menu called "temp" or something and putting the bookmark button on your browser to view the bookmarks in a less-cluttered sidebar mode.

misskwiz

Postby misskwiz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

What kind of links? Check the sites you visit for some sort of web syndication (i.e. RSS, Atom) and then get a feed reader, like google reader if you already use gmail.

Almost all websites I go to have some sort of feed so it works for me at least.
I am currently enjoying the pathetic anger bread of a dissatisfied life.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Do you not use folders for your bookmarks?

Just shove all these old links into a bookmarks folder (and even subfolders below that) and they'll only ever take up one line of your bookmarks menu.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:47 am UTC

misskwiz wrote:What kind of links?
They're just links that look kind of nifty that I feel like I should take another look at sometime, or might come in handy - not stuff I expect will be regularly updated.

A random sampling:
http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/
http://stupiditythemovie.com/directorbody.html
http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/motherload
http://alfador.8m.com/writings/quotez.htm

RealGrouchy wrote:Do you not use folders for your bookmarks?

Just shove all these old links into a bookmarks folder (and even subfolders below that) and they'll only ever take up one line of your bookmarks menu.

- RG>
But then I'll end up with cluttered folders, and cluttered subfolders, and huge menus that will be difficult to sort through.

I suppose the ideal would be an application that I could throw a link at, and it would automagically (or maybe with a little help) generate a summary, tags, and a preview. And then it would let me search the database appropriately, and tell me what I haven't looked at, or even provide a random link.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:54 am UTC

You could create a basic HTML page yourself where you paste the links into and save that single file on your desktop, editing it whenever you need to add a new link or clear out old ones. You can even add that page as a favourite or tab button for quick use when browsing.

Code: Select all

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>

[ Jorpho's Random Link Depository ]

</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/
http://stupiditythemovie.com/directorbody.html
http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/motherload
http://alfador.8m.com/writings/quotez.htm

</BODY>

</HTML>

The page will just have a bunch of links in it if you do it that way, but at least they'll be all in one place and as an added bonus, any you've visited will be purpled (or whatever colour you've set for visited links).
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:47 am UTC

Won't those links be unclickable unless they are surrounded by appropriate <a href> tags?

Anyway, I actually have something like that - I have some lists stored in Treepad Lite. Treepad Lite kind of sucks, though - URLs are clickable, but they don't get highlighted. There are other similar alternatives to Treepad Lite, but last time I looked at them I couldn't quite make the switch for some reason.

Perhaps I should have mentioned this method before, as it might be the best thing I've come up with so far - but it's still a slow, manual process of finding an appropriate category and giving each URL a meaningful alphabetized one-line description, and the result is still rather cluttered and unpretty.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:00 am UTC

This, maybe: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7661 . I haven't tried it out yet. I have the same problem, so I should.
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:12 am UTC

Oh yeah, sorry. You'd need the tags to make them links. :oops:

But that's what I'd probably do. I don't know how you'd go about getting descriptions of the pages written up, at least in an automated fashion. There might be some way of pulling the header information out and pasting it, but it probably wouldn't always give you a good indication of the page and it'd be fiddly.

Besides, this way it's like a lucky draw, right? :lol:
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:21 am UTC

I don't know what sort of bookmark-handling abilities Internet Explorer offers, but Opera has two very useful ones:
1) Every submenu in the Bookmarks menu has a "bookmark page" option. Sorting new pages is as simple as navigating to where you want to file the bookmark and clicking the menu option. If you want to put a bookmark in a new folder, just click "new folder" in the dialog that comes up.
2) You don't need to remember where you filed a specific bookmark: you can simply start typing the URL of the website (en.wiki....) or the name of the website (Wikip....) in the address bar, and Opera will show matching options from your bookmarks.

It works. I''ve had the same bookmarks file since early 1997, and I don't know how many thousand entries it's got now. I don't have much trouble finding the link I'm looking for.

marcas

Postby marcas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:23 am UTC

Something like delicous might be useful. I use it with firefox but don't know what sort of IE integration is available. There's no folder hierarchy but the same thing can be accomplished (probably better) with tags.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

mat-tina wrote:This, maybe: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7661 . I haven't tried it out yet. I have the same problem, so I should.
That does seem pretty swank, I must say. Have you taken a swing at it yet?

Firefox is not quite my preferred browser, alas. (I tend towards K-Meleon and Opera.) Any other ideas?

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:52 am UTC

Ooo! I actually for quite a while used Read It Later. Well, I used a combination of folders/subfolders in my bookmarks and Read It Later. Links I liked and thought I might want to visit in the future made it to the prestigious bookmarks. Everything else that just looked interesting but I wasn't sure about got sent over to Read It Later. It was kind of nice. Every now and then I'd get bored and be like maybe I should check out one of the 100 random pages in my Read It Later. Good times.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

I have an all-time new favorite Firefox extension: BarTab!

It's simple: it makes it so that tabs don't load on startup until you switch to them! Much like URL fixer, this is something that should have been standard across the board years ago.

I guess now I'm stuck with Firefox more than ever. (Now if only they would fix ImgLikeOpera. Oh me yarm THEY DID)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:08 am UTC

Bumping this again, because I got back into the frame of mind after reading one of the FF developer's blogs.
http://autonome.wordpress.com/2012/01/2 ... -browsing/

Any clever new solutions to the problem? (BarTab stopped working in Firefox a few releases ago, but similar functionality is now built-in. Why it is lacking from Chrome continues to baffle me.)

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:48 am UTC

i have taken up using pinterest for such things. they are stored off computer, are organised by folders,and i can browse by image, which makes it easy. you get one bookmark in your bar labeled "pin it" click that, say what folder you want it in, and done. then you can go to your pinterest and browse the crap and clicking the image will bring you bak to the original page. only problem is it wants the site to have a large picture it can latch onto which may not always be feasible, but is worth a shot. also with blogs you want to pin from the particular entry, not the feed.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Links.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:33 pm UTC

Years later and this is still a huge problem. The winning combination of BarTab and TreeStyleTabs is pretty great, but it seems even that's gotten bloated and overloaded. What I really need is a browser that refuses to have more than ten or so "real" tabs at once and makes everything else just look like a tab – sort of like TooManyTabs but less intrusive. I started thinking of this again with the recent announcement of Vivaldi, but maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.

One thing I could really use right now is a convenient means of editing the Firefox sessionstore.js directly to remove dupicate tabs and sort the remainder; sorting it manually has gotten unwieldly.

Tab Grenade and OneTab look kind of intriguing, but don't look too stable either.

Return to “General”