scam that apparently people fall for

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

zealo

scam that apparently people fall for

Postby zealo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:55 am UTC

first, a week ago i got some survey type call, where they mentioned something about a change in betting laws.

then today i get another call telling me about this http://www.xft-sniper.com/

in short, someone spent 10 mins explaining to an engineering student telling me that money will probably be pretty tight while i'm studying, and that he could help me make $1000 per week.

he then told me how they had 'a system' to always make money betting on horses, by not backing winners, but losers. mathematics says that if there's an average of 20 horses in a race, that the average horse will lose 95% of the time, so backing a horse to lose means you get about 50 to 1 odds inyour favour. this is how bookmakers stay in business, because by accepting bets on the winner they are in effect betting on the loser.

'the system' is a computer programs that 'tracks every single bet made on a race' to determine which horse is most likely to lose, then puts money on it to not win (to someone who is accepting these bets and not noticing the millions of dollars they are losing, i guess). this program has about 90% accuracy.

for some reason, this program requires me to be sitting in front of it while it works, but while i'm sitting there i should make an average of $350 an hour.

but i don't have to take his word for it, i can watch a demo of the program in action if i want.

most people make about $60k from this (before what? they get sick of $350 an hour?) to reassure the nagging voice in my head asking "but why are they offering this to me if they could be making money off it themselves?" he told me 'the easy payment plan'. because as a uni student a spare $13 900 might be a little hard to find, and i don't deserve to miss out on this just because i'm poor. $8900 up front, then another $5k in 12 months, unless i make less than $55k on it in which case they forget about the $5k.

i don't see how i can possibly refuse this.
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Paranoid__Android

Re: scam that apparently people fall for

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:35 am UTC

you forgot your sarcasm tags
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Sadly, people do still fall for scams like this. If you PM me his contact information, I'll get someone from a baiting site on it.
Last edited by ParanoidAndroid on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:48 am UTC

Continue asking questions. Ask questions about everything. If he refuses to answer or dodges the question, walk out on the spot. NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES give your money to ANYONE without know precisely what is being done with it and what the risks are.

There's a seed of doubt in your brain; that alone means you should NOT give him any money. Personally I'm fascinated by scams, as many of them are fairly ingenious. I would at least feign interest to learn the details. Then report back here.

zealo

Postby zealo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:51 am UTC

was a witheld number, so the website he told me about is all the contact details i have really...

Personally I'm fascinated by scams, as many of them are fairly ingenious. I would at least feign interest to learn the details. Then report back here.

same as me ;)
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:58 am UTC

Actually, I would recommend dropping any and all communication with them if they have even a scrap of personal information about you. They can use your real name, your telephone number, whatever, to harm you. I'd get someone anonymous who has experience with scams to pursue this. The number 1 rule of scambaiting is never maintain contact with a scammer who has even one piece of personal information about you.

zealo

Postby zealo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:10 am UTC

they called my mobile out of the blue and already knew my name, i forget what other info i gave them in initial interview, i know i gave them my hotmail address...

i wasn't planning to spend anymore of my time actually talking to them, now i know what the premise behind the scam is. i don't know what group investigates this sort of thing that i could report them too

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:24 am UTC

There is such a thing called arbitrage betting*, but this is plain stupidity.

* Basically, odds are different for different bookies and occasionally the total odds across multiple bookies are over 1 (i.e. In you're favour). In reality it's not often (Bookies look out for this) and/or it's very often low % margins.

I get people I've known constantly forwarding me scams/offers/chain mails. Given that I know all the ins and outs of the scammers already, it makes me rage to see friends doing this. I give them a few words when I do see them though.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:34 am UTC

Well, if you have enough information and evidence you could go to the police. Barring that, I suggest giving all information you can to an experienced scambaiter. Phone numbers or email addresses would be nice. They can at least mess with them quite effectively and possibly get the site shut down. I'll pass your post along to some people and see what they can do, but more information would be helpful.

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:39 am UTC

zealo wrote:most people make about $60k from this (before what? they get sick of $350 an hour?) to reassure the nagging voice in my head asking "but why are they offering this to me if they could be making money off it themselves?" he told me 'the easy payment plan'. because as a uni student a spare $13 900 might be a little hard to find, and i don't deserve to miss out on this just because i'm poor. $8900 up front, then another $5k in 12 months, unless i make less than $55k on it in which case they forget about the $5k.

Why can't he just give it to you free and you pay him if you make money off of it? Offer to sign a contract to that effect.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Ambelie

Postby Ambelie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:41 am UTC

I think the reason this scam sounds suspicious is because they don't have a random Nigerian prince telling you about it.

I mean really, who doesn't trust a random Nigerian prince? He's a prince!

zealo

Postby zealo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:45 am UTC

initially i thought it was some political poll wanting my opinion on being able to bet on a losing horse :/
if it is an arbitage betting system, a) why would they share it? b) why not describe it as such?

the contact info on the page:
Level 28, AMP Tower
140 St Georges Terrace
Perth, WA, 6000.
Phone: 1300 669 637
Fax: 1300 653 004
Email: sales@xft-sniper.com

what other info could i get that would be helpful? i assume the guy is going to call again :/ "sorry, i'm busy right now, could you give me your number and i'll call you back?"?

assuming the software actually does what they say, or even if it just picks a horse with long odds to place a bet on, are they actually doing anything illegal by selling it, in the same way selling lotto tickets is legal? if people don't know how odds work and buy it is the seller at fault?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:28 am UTC

... If this worked, you could just anti-bet on losing horses yourself, you know. There'd be no reason to get into debt with some shady cold caller.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:29 am UTC

But they have the magic program that tells you which ones to bet on. And for some reason, they're telling people about it instead of just using it to win big. :roll:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:47 am UTC

When people make a lot of money they become inclined towards philanthropy, so sharing the secret is natural. :P
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

wst

Postby wst » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:32 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote: I'd get someone anonymous who has experience with scams to pursue this.
/b/ is pretty anonymous... Let them loose on the site, wouldn't take long for it to crumple.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:16 am UTC

wst wrote:
ParanoidAndroid wrote: I'd get someone anonymous who has experience with scams to pursue this.
/b/ is pretty anonymous... Let them loose on the site, wouldn't take long for it to crumple.
To bad /b/ will be like: Not ur personal army.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

wst

Postby wst » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:23 am UTC

Bulvox wrote:
wst wrote:
To bad /b/ will be like: Not ur personal army.
Just throw them the seeds of 'This is stupid, take a look', and some might grab the ball and run with it. Yes, trying to control /b/ is like herding lolcats, doesn't mean you can't rustle a few out of the hedges and point them in the general direction of lolmice.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:43 am UTC

I was thinking more of a chaotic good than a chaotic evil.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

Durandal wrote:Personally I'm fascinated by scams, as many of them are fairly ingenious.
It's probably not broadcast in Canada, but we've got a program here on the lovely ol' BBC called The Real Hustle that points out all these ingenious scams and general conman shenanigans (spawned from a fictional program about some lovable rogues who con rich greedy people out of their money called Hustle). It's quite interesting to watch, and there's at least one con per episode that gets you free drinks in bars (because in Hustle, they were always conning the barman and getting free rounds off of him). It'll probably be on YouTube somewhere, so check it out.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:03 am UTC

All I can think of is this Numbers episode where some guy made a computer program to predict the second-place winner since the payouts were better.

Really, though, what's the point? Give them the complete benefit of the doubt, assume a few dozen people comply, then watch as the odds go to 199:200.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

Surely you mean the retardedly named Numb3rs?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:It's probably not broadcast in Canada, but we've got a program here on the lovely ol' BBC called The Real Hustle [...]

The CBC airs some BBC programs, but apparently not this one.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Cerebral

Postby Cerebral » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
OBrien wrote:It's probably not broadcast in Canada, but we've got a program here on the lovely ol' BBC called The Real Hustle [...]

The CBC airs some BBC programs, but apparently not this one.

Damn, 'cause it's REAL good-I mean, I wouldn't fall for the majority of scams, because I can generally tell the difference between fairness and scamming someone.
But then some of the one's I've seen on that show really scare me-if you wanted to see them at some point, you could mabye find them on BBC iPlayer, but I don't know-if you can find them, they're worth a watch.
Spoiler:
Made you lose look

Return to “General”