No more "classics" (xkcdsucks.com discussion)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lode

No more "classics" (xkcdsucks.com discussion)

Postby Lode » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:00 am UTC

Man, these days it seems there appear no more "classic" xkcd's, such as the one with "my code's compiling" "carry on", the "my hobby" series, the one with the "goto", "getRandomNumber", or the good old days when black hat guy was at its best.

These days, it's too much related to current events and sports, and the romance part seems to win too much over the math, sarcasm and language.

Anyone feel this too?

Game_boy

Re: No more "classics"

Postby Game_boy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:40 am UTC

Yes, but it is a contentious topic. My own opinion is that Randall is giving us more of what he thinks made the comic successful, but we actually appreciated something different.

Have a look at this blog. The author feels much the same way (in that old comics were in some way better) and is capable of seeing good elements in some recent comics, but criticises those that are generic, repetitive or unfunny. He liked "Boyfriend", and I'd have to agree with him that that one was the most similar to the "classic" comics than any others in the last 6 months or so.

Read the blog's sidebar too. It really does point out why the percieved quality could be less.

http://xkcdsucks.blogspot.com/
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Lode

Postby Lode » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

What I loved about the old ones, was that often there was some subject of which I thought: "that's exactly what I think sometimes! I'm not the only one in the world!!". That's one of the things why I love xkcd and am still reading it these days in the hopes of still seeing such a comic one day.

EDIT: oh and thanks for the link to the blog! Now if there's a disappointing xkcd comic one day, that can be made up for by reading the comments on the blog instead :)
Last edited by Lode on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:12 pm UTC

Website commenting on the Duck Comic wrote:My first thoughts, on reading the latest gem from our good friend Randy, was simple confusion. "What is going on here? Is this a metaphor for some computer science process of which I am unaware?

Apparently there's nothing though, it's just tricking ducks into walking in a circle

Haha, that's exactly what I thought, when it said "loop" I thought it was some obscure programming reference or something similar but then I realised it was just ducks in a circle. Still I think most of them are pretty decent and funny.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Website commenting on the Duck Comic wrote:My first thoughts, on reading the latest gem from our good friend Randy, was simple confusion. "What is going on here? Is this a metaphor for some computer science process of which I am unaware?

Apparently there's nothing though, it's just tricking ducks into walking in a circle

Haha, that's exactly what I thought, when it said "loop" I thought it was some obscure programming reference or something similar but then I realised it was just ducks in a circle. Still I think most of them are pretty decent and funny.
I spent hours Google image searching ducklings after seeing that.

I am agreed with the newer xkcd comics missing that something. But I make up for it by rofling from the edits here on the fora.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:02 am UTC

I google'd "why futons get less comfortable over time," after hearing Demetri Martin tell a joke about it, and knowing from experience it being true. I was curious as to the reasoning behind it, and this thread was the first link; which is odd, considering I can't find anything referring to it.

http://xkcdsucks.blogspot.com/

I looked through quite a few of his posts, while he is usually spot on, and points out humorous flaws or counters to a comic's key subjects(such as comic 539), he is incredibly obnoxious. I don't like obnoxious. :?
don't plow that beautiful field!

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

I once spent a little bit of time looking through that site. The guy is basically an idiot and upset that he doesn't get most of the jokes. He constantly complains when a joke relies on knowledge of physics or programming or math, which makes him a fucking douche jockey who needs to accept the fact that the entire world doesn't revolve around him. It's the whole point of the gorram webcomic, if he doesn't get the joke, that's a problem with him, not the webcomic or the author. He also complains that there are recurring themes in the webcomic. HOLY SHIT!!!!1! Really? A comic with recurring themes? HOW THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN? This is tantamount to bitching that Paul Simon incorporated the acoustic guitar too much in his music or that Microsoft makes too many operating systems and business applications and not enough finite element analysis software. He's a guy bitching about how someone else is doing something they enjoy and being able to make a (from what I understand, modest) living at it while he still has to go to a 9-5. Well guess what? Nobody gives a goddamn.

I really need to start using "fucking douche jockey" more often.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:20 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:I once spent a little bit of time looking through that site. The guy is basically an idiot and upset that he doesn't get most of the jokes. He constantly complains when a joke relies on knowledge of physics or programming or math, which makes him a fucking douche jockey who needs to accept the fact that the entire world doesn't revolve around him. It's the whole point of the gorram webcomic, if he doesn't get the joke, that's a problem with him, not the webcomic or the author. He also complains that there are recurring themes in the webcomic. HOLY SHIT!!!!1! Really? A comic with recurring themes? HOW THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN? This is tantamount to bitching that Paul Simon incorporated the acoustic guitar too much in his music or that Microsoft makes too many operating systems and business applications and not enough finite element analysis software. He's a guy bitching about how someone else is doing something they enjoy and being able to make a (from what I understand, modest) living at it while he still has to go to a 9-5. Well guess what? Nobody gives a goddamn.

This. I read through the site and it was pretty amusing, but in a laughing at the guy and not with him kind of way. His entire spiel seems to be "zOMG, he is making a geeky comic way too geeky! and why does he have to fall back on those stupid geek jokes all the time! that is SO OLD."

I think he missed the point.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Nah, I think he's just mostly worthless as a legitimate contributor. And since he can't do something similar, and certainly not with anything resembling that amount of success, he'll just sit back and critique. Of course, due to the whole "mostly worthless as a legitimate contributor" thing, it's going to be low quality.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Feer

Postby Feer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:I once spent a little bit of time looking through that site. The guy is basically an idiot and upset that he doesn't get most of the jokes. He constantly complains when a joke relies on knowledge of physics or programming or math, which makes him a fucking douche jockey who needs to accept the fact that the entire world doesn't revolve around him. It's the whole point of the gorram webcomic, if he doesn't get the joke, that's a problem with him, not the webcomic or the author. He also complains that there are recurring themes in the webcomic. HOLY SHIT!!!!1! Really? A comic with recurring themes? HOW THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN? This is tantamount to bitching that Paul Simon incorporated the acoustic guitar too much in his music or that Microsoft makes too many operating systems and business applications and not enough finite element analysis software. He's a guy bitching about how someone else is doing something they enjoy and being able to make a (from what I understand, modest) living at it while he still has to go to a 9-5. Well guess what? Nobody gives a goddamn.

So, it's the reader's fault the comic wasn't funny? Some of the criticism seems to be deserved IMO, I am in the target audience of the comic but I've felt the comic take a turn to the worse. Blind fanboyism doesn't help.

And in reply to your later comment: Movie critics? How many of them have actually made movies? :/
AngrySquirrel <3

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

Fair enough.

So did the blogger take several classes on disassembling a comic, in identifying common universal elements to comics and so on?

And that's as far as I want to go with the argument, as with the posting of Petit Trees (sketch) someone, somewhere was bitching that he'd lost his touch.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

Feer wrote:So, it's the reader's fault the comic wasn't funny?
It's never the reader's fault that a comic isn't funny. If the reader doesn't get it, however, that doesn't make the comic unfunny. Especially if the reader isn't in the extremely narrow target audience.
Feer wrote:Some of the criticism seems to be deserved IMO, I am in the target audience of the comic but I've felt the comic take a turn to the worse. Blind fanboyism doesn't help.
Neither do vague, unsupported and unsubstantiable (I may have made that word up, but I like it) statements about matters of taste. And I'm not being a blind fanboy. If you want, I'd be more than happy to walk you through my reasons for disliking his site. However, the list is long and this thread isn't really an appropriate place for it.
Feer wrote:And in reply to your later comment: Movie critics? How many of them have actually made movies? :/
Does that matter? I never said "those who can't, critique", I said that because he can't do anything very good he's fallen into throwing stones at those who can. Maybe critique was the wrong word to use, because it's not really an honest critique. It's full of logical holes, finicky preferences and absurd complaints.

Ninja'd. ST was much more willing to give your argument play time.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Certhas

Postby Certhas » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Lode wrote:What I loved about the old ones, was that often there was some subject of which I thought: "that's exactly what I think sometimes! I'm not the only one in the world!!". That's one of the things why I love xkcd and am still reading it these days in the hopes of still seeing such a comic one day.

That. BUT I think there is a limited repertoire of these kind of things. That might have been exhausted. Since then the comic seems to have gone into a bit of an identity crisis. It has defined it's culture and exhausted the theme of making the mind space and "common sense/thought" of the culture explicit and now needs to find places to go with this.

And we have those. Modern classics if you will, the creative ones or the ones that bring obscure aspects of geek culture into prominence. Geohashing for example. I say, give it time. There still is no one out there as consistently creative and inventive for geek culture.
"I conclude that all is well," says Edipus, and that remark is sacred.
- Camus, The Myth of Sysiphus

Mental Health Break

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

Oh, come on. There are still comics that may become classics later on, it's just that you don't see it while they're still new. To list a few I think are golden:

http://www.xkcd.com/540/
http://www.xkcd.com/531/
http://www.xkcd.com/529/
http://www.xkcd.com/525/

Of course it's just personal opinion, but I think these are all better than Compiling, Goto and Random Number.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

I have to admit, I whole-heartedly agree about 531 (Contingency Plan). I was talking about that to at least 3 different people at work for roughly a week.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Heh, that xkcdsucks guy gave me a bit of a laugh. One of my friends feels almost the exact same way about most of them, especially the ones that require some sort of physics/math/comp-sci knowledge to understand. Overall, he just doesn't seem to get that it's not funny to everyone, but it is to some people. ("Random is not funny.": I disagree.)

I'm glad to see he liked 539 "Boyfriend" though. I'd call that one the funniest one so far this month. Year, even.
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

I certainly wouldn't agree that "Random is funny". If it were, I'd find Chef whatsizface from Ctrl Alt Del funny, and he is most definitely not funny.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Chef whazisface isn't Random. (Or, he is.. in the sense that running around a mall screaming "Chicken Fingers!" at people is random. It's not.)

Or funny.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

Lode wrote:What I loved about the old ones, was that often there was some subject of which I thought: "that's exactly what I think sometimes! I'm not the only one in the world!!". That's one of the things why I love xkcd and am still reading it these days in the hopes of still seeing such a comic one day.

EDIT: oh and thanks for the link to the blog! Now if there's a disappointing xkcd comic one day, that can be made up for by reading the comments on the blog instead :)

Me too, I thought the same thing. A lot of people did I think, which is why they became so popular
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Apparently we're operating off of different definitions of random. I don't think anything he does is unexpected, as he's always spouting off something between completely unintelligible and semi unintelligible nonsense for 4 panels. Unexpected would be a raptor attacking you for being lazy with your coding, which I find humorous.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

This is what always happens to webcomics. You start out with all of your best ideas, all full of personality, and then are forced to post several times a week regardless of how you feel so you get into something of a rut. XKCD is still quite good but rarely involves me in any way anymore. PA is doing the same thing. Maybe Randall will realize that it was the humor style and not the references that pulled us in initially. I guess we'll find out.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

PA has done a lot of really weird themed stuff recently, and a number of one-shot video game references that don't really involve the characters at all, which is a little disheartening to me.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

LSK

Postby LSK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

The reasons you think that there aren't any new memorable comics being made are a) you expect every new comic to be a classic and b) you don't know what'll prove to be memorable.. Look through the archives - not every comic was a classic. The signal to noise ratio hasn't decreased.

I mean, who remembers http://www.xkcd.com/27/ ?

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

LSK wrote:The reasons you think that there aren't any new memorable comics being made are a) you expect every new comic to be a classic and b) you don't know what'll prove to be memorable.. Look through the archives - not every comic was a classic. The signal to noise ratio hasn't decreased.

Dude, those were his doodles. Those you can take or leave. But XKCD hasn't been relevant for awhile.

I don't think that it's too much for us to expect the strip to have some personality and not just consist of a bunch of forced references. He should take a three-month sabbatical and take a look at what made his strip work, or redo the format significantly, the way that Chris Onstad did with Achewood when he started getting bored.

Jokes aren't funny. People are funny, and no amount of forced quirkiness will change the fact that it's not there anymore. What if Calvin and Hobbes had run Spaceman Spiff into the ground or done a "practical joke" or "Calvinball" strip whenever ideas ran stale? That xkcdsucks blog does a good job of summarizing why I'm no longer interested in the strip.

EDIT: I'm not attacking Munroe in particular, but merely pointing toward a general tendency for entertainers to begin with personality to spare, then slowly begin to coast off of what they think made them successful. Conan O'Brien started doing it a few years back, Dilbert sold its entire soul for a mess of pottage, and The Simpsons has been doing it for between five and fifteen years depending on who you ask.

Indon

Postby Indon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Are you sure you're just not becoming used to a certain style and are now looking for something more, while feelings of nostalgia keep you fond of comics (or other applicable media, with a possible exception for The Simpsons) you would otherwise probably find uninteresting now?

Mildly applicable TVTropes link.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

Indon wrote:Are you sure you're just not becoming used to a certain style and are now looking for something more, while feelings of nostalgia keep you fond of comics (or other applicable media, with a possible exception for The Simpsons) you would otherwise probably find uninteresting now?

Pretty much. The comic is about the same as it's ever been. There haven't been any True Gems (TM) lately, but there were never that many. It's just selective memory at work.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Indon wrote:Are you sure you're just not becoming used to a certain style and are now looking for something more, while feelings of nostalgia keep you fond of comics (or other applicable media, with a possible exception for The Simpsons) you would otherwise probably find uninteresting now?

Mildly applicable TVTropes link.

It's important to acknowledge this effect and, like any webcomic, you're not going to be as enthralled when you figure out his "style." That's why I think the xkcdsucks blog goes a little over the top - the guy lets his initial hatred for the strip color his interpretation of new strips. I think I was on a rush and overstated by point above.

But I can read the old ones and still enjoy them very, very much. XKCD is a cleaner and more marketable strip than ever before, but I tend to prefer these things in the early, ragged days (if you haven't seen early Dilbert, you really should).

EDIT: Another great TVTropes page. Reminds me of my friends who won't look at Penny Arcade because it looks like every other "hyper-referential, game-related comic out there."

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:27 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:This is what always happens to webcomics. You start out with all of your best ideas, all full of personality, and then are forced to post several times a week regardless of how you feel so you get into something of a rut. XKCD is still quite good but rarely involves me in any way anymore. PA is doing the same thing. Maybe Randall will realize that it was the humor style and not the references that pulled us in initially. I guess we'll find out.
This--ish. They say a musician has his entire life to write his first album, and a few weeks to write the second. Also, as with Dilbert, the life situations that inspire comic ideas are no longer there to draw upon when writing a (web)comic becomes your primary occupation.

LSK wrote:The reasons you think that there aren't any new memorable comics being made are a) you expect every new comic to be a classic and b) you don't know what'll prove to be memorable.. Look through the archives - not every comic was a classic. The signal to noise ratio hasn't decreased.

Touché.

What I find curious is the website author's obsession with the comic. I mean, if you don't like a creative work, the two general options are (a) stop paying attention to it, or (b) make your own one that's better. Instead, he pays a ridiculous amount of attention to it--likely more than he would if the comic did meet his preferences.

(Ninja'd by Clumpy on the Dilbert reference.)

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

hideki101

Re: No more "classics" (xkcdsucks.com discussion)

Postby hideki101 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:05 am UTC

Really though, it seems that increasingly his beef is not with the comic specifically (though he does often wander into you're-missing-the-point territory) but with us forumites or something, and he's blaming Randall for it. I mean here's some of what he writes:
Update: I am profoundly disappointed that in 195 forum posts, only one person had the decency to point out that we've seen all this before. To the rest of you, who spent 194 posts debating the emoticon-parenthesis question: you are only deceiving yourselves!

And now we move on to the feature known as "Rob Reads The Forums, So You Don't Have To." Not only is everyone agreeing with it "oh man that is so true," we have what counts as a Get Out Of My Head, Randall, and then an Obvious Troll who is my new personal hero (if you are this person PLEASE COMMENT I LOVE YOU). Mostly everyone seems to think that this comic is their new personal Jesus.

god why did i look at the forums i think it may have broken me YOU ALL BETTER APPRECIATE IT
Whenever I wonder if I'm really interpreting a comic right or not (in this case, Is Randall being mildly clever and ironic, or is he just oblivious and hypocritical?) I of course head out to the dreaded xkcd forums. Today's comic has had surprisingly little discussion - only 78 comments, putting it third on the list (usually the newest comic is first, occasionally second). There was hardly any discussion of the comic at all, and none about how Randall himself recently skipped comedy for a day to complain about itunes. Instead, they debated whether 0.999.... equals 1 (most of these posts have since been deleted, but evidence remains). Also the merits of Battlestar Galactica. Also whether Let It Snow is a christmas song. Idiots.

It seems he does pic-and-choose of our worst posts, and extends the line of thought for the whole forum. This one talks about how creepy we are, but when I clicked through the examples, I noticed that they were all people who only had one post to their name, meaning they really were not part of the community as a whole. This is the equivalent of someone walking up to a group discussion, yelling "FUCK!!" then leaving (in this analogy, he would be the guy watching, see that happen, and infer that the entire group is like that.)
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:09 am UTC

22/7 wrote:I once spent a little bit of time looking through that site. The guy is basically an idiot and upset that he doesn't get most of the jokes. He constantly complains when a joke relies on knowledge of physics or programming or math, which makes him a fucking douche jockey who needs to accept the fact that the entire world doesn't revolve around him. It's the whole point of the gorram webcomic, if he doesn't get the joke, that's a problem with him, not the webcomic or the author. He also complains that there are recurring themes in the webcomic.

Wait wait....

He also complains when the themes aren't recurring enough: Review for comic 515

That Review wrote:Remember when they used to be creative? When revenge for Mr. Hat involved trapping a sumarine under a lake just to steal back a hat? What's so annoying about this comic is that Mr. Hat's specialty is creative and nerdy ways of pissing people off or killing them or stuff, and so it should be an opportunity for Randall to come up with something like that

I'd lay even odds that if it *had* been one of those comics, he would've complained about abusing the same formula. Also, see if you can spot the place where he blatantly fails to understand what's going on in the comic.

He's a douche that gained some limited popularity off of the concept that the comics aren't funny, so now he needs to invent justifications for why the later ones aren't either or risk his audience wandering off. The justifications, when they don't stem from his inability to understand the comic due to lack of sufficient geekery or just an inability to read comics (because really, the only reason you'd have the aforementioned comprehension problem with 515 is if you're not good at comics in general), are more or less made up after the fact, and so aren't terribly consistent or sensical and amount to so much blathering.

In other words, I find his blog intensely amusing for reasons entirely separate from those he intended, I'm sure.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:04 am UTC

Belial wrote:I'd lay even odds that if it *had* been one of those comics, he would've complained about abusing the same formula. Also, see if you can spot the place where he blatantly fails to understand what's going on in the comic.

He's a douche that gained some limited popularity off of the concept that the comics aren't funny, so now he needs to invent justifications for why the later ones aren't either or risk his audience wandering off. The justifications, when they don't stem from his inability to understand the comic due to lack of sufficient geekery or just an inability to read comics (because really, the only reason you'd have the aforementioned comprehension problem with 515 is if you're not good at comics in general), are more or less made up after the fact, and so aren't terribly consistent or sensical and amount to so much blathering.

In other words, I find his blog intensely amusing for reasons entirely separate from those he intended, I'm sure.

Well, it's pretty much impossible to remain impartial if you create a site dedicated to something sucking. Why doesn't he just write a normal blog and post every so often when he thinks a strip is particularly puerile? Looking at something too carefully with an eye on finding deformities leads to OCD and high blood pressure (though he's admitted he worries that he'll criticize a strip that he would like were he not doing the blog).

Honestly, though, I have trouble understanding some XKCD strips, and very rarely because of science jokes. Sometimes the humor doesn't click with me (or I don't enjoy it even when I "get" the joke). But that's OK - Lord knows my writing/webcomic output isn't always a shining gem from the Gods, and I can always sift through the pages and pages of comments on the "comic discussion" portion of the forum until somebody explains the joke. Despite my criticism I'd still kill to be able to do a try-weekly strip as consistently as Randy.

(Seriously, though - "Piano" was terrible. How could anybody who knows anything about women think that a small-ish girl like that would want a twelve-inch rod tearing her cervix to pieces?)

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:39 am UTC

He still manages to put out some funny ones, but I'd agree that the best ones have already been done, and the romance ones are receiving the lion's share of the focus now. I guess that makes sense, judging by how many posts those strips generate, but still... :(
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:02 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Chef whazisface isn't Random. (Or, he is.. in the sense that running around a mall screaming "Chicken Fingers!" at people is random. It's not.)

Or funny.

Tim Buckley admitted that he created that character when he was drunk and lacking comic ideas.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:11 am UTC

Man, I stopped watching xkcd after the third season, the writing got so terrible. The writers were struggling just to keep the series alive--and failing miserably, I might add. Also, xkcd's latest albums? Shit, compared to their groundbreaking debut work. Now, that was classic, genre-defining art, I tell you--back before this contrived mainstream bilge water. I wouldn't expect you newcomers to understand.

And don't get me started on the xkcd forums: they're long past their Golden Age. I don't even log in there anymore, it's just a cesspool full of n00bs, trolls, and whiners.

Friggin' hell, why can't everything just stay the way it was when I first fell in love with it???? Is a little static consistency too much to ask?
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

william wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Chef whazisface isn't Random. (Or, he is.. in the sense that running around a mall screaming "Chicken Fingers!" at people is random. It's not.)

Or funny.

Tim Buckley admitted that he created that character when he was drunk and lacking comic ideas.

And yet, it's his best character.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:31 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
william wrote:

Or funny.

And yet, it's his best character.

Being the best character in CAD is like being the valedictorian of a clown college.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

Dude, Clown College is fucking hard.

Wiglaf

Postby Wiglaf » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

We should set up an '"xkcd sucks" sucks' blog, it would be easy enough.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:14 am UTC

IF you want to see something stupid, look at his latest post.
isn't there something a little weird about a guy in his mid-20s hanging out at MIT enough to make these kinds of jokes? Randy never went to MIT but he spends apparently a creepy amount of time there, which kind of weirds out Mr. Mildly Funny. I agree with this.

You're a moron. Randall is a 24-year old math and computer nerd who lives pretty much next to Cambridge. It's so creepy he hangs out with nerdy people who at most are six years his junior and many of which are probably graduate students who are his same exact age anyway.

Check out my comment (I'm the first anon).
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:42 am UTC

Also, considering he has at least nascent plans to go there for grad school, it's....not creepy at all?

Hell, even if he had gone straight into grad school, he would still be in school now, so the idea that he's too old to go there is just stupid.

Gah. Grasp harder. Idiot.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Return to “General”