POLL:Was smile.dog really that scary?(Split from ITT:Creepy)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Was smile.dog really that scary?

Yes
9%
No
86%
I refuse to see it, I am too scared by the descriptions of it
5%

Total votes: 216

Kaiyas

Re: POLL:Was smile.dog really that scary?(Split from ITT:Creepy)

Postby Kaiyas » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:01 am UTC

The pink, fleshy face is slightly disconcerting, but there's nothing especially bad about it. It's like watching those surgery scenes in tv shows- uncomfortable, repulsive, yet will not usually give you nightmares.

All in all, spider pic was okay, but I couldn't stand looking directly at it- I'm no fan of spiders, and the scale kind of shocked me.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

ProudNerd

Postby ProudNerd » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:49 am UTC

I was going through the thread hoping someone would provide a description BEFORE I decided to look at the pic myself, but one of y'all posted it as an attachment and I ended up seeing it anyway. It looks fake, I can hardly tell that's a dog at all (if that's what it's supposed to be). I don't know what the big deal is since I've never even heard of this pic till now. The eyes are kinda creepy but again that looks really fake.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

I think there is information that this poll does not adequately represent, which is how scary the 14% found the thing. Judging by the comments, the odd phenomenon here is that the majority of people found it hardly scary at all, while a minority (around a seventh) found it crap-your-pants frightening, with relatively little in between.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:51 am UTC

It's either scary or not.
Spoiler:

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:58 am UTC

I'm so proud of myself! I got surprised by it the first time I saw it (no more randomly clicking spoilers for me...), so I freaked out. Didn't give me nightmares, probably because I only saw it for a second, but I didn't want to see it again. I just spent two hours convincing myself to look again, and scrolled up bit by bit, and it wasn't that bad.

I still don't ever want to be caught off-guard though. Hopefully it won't become widespread.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 am UTC

Now where was that image at?

It was a stick figure stabbing his eyes out in front of a computer with the caption

Warning you can never unsee anything.

Anyone have it on the funny picture section of their hard drive?
Spoiler:

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:21 am UTC

It was kind of skeevy at first but now the red is just giving me a headache.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Indon

Postby Indon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:28 am UTC

This thread sucked me into the creepy thread, and I ended up reading through the whole thing and completely forgetting the existence of this thread. Anyway, this is most of what my post in the creepy thread was, because I was, in fact, specifically looking for the smile.dog picture (though I soon forgot why). I've since trimmed it to post it here.

It's a photoshop overlay (using a specific merging function, I can't say which) of a human head with a dog's head, both with teeth bared.

You can clearly see the outline of the human's hair and the tip of the dog's snout in the picture, but only parts of the picture that both had in common were clearly overlayed - the eyes (since humans and dogs are both mammals with binocular vision) and exposed teeth. Considering the hair overlay is much clearer, and the positioning of the dog, (also, I suspect the humans head has been resized to nail the eyes) it's likely the dog picture is the original one.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:42 am UTC

I don't even think the teeth used a blending function at all. If you look closely it just looks like it was pasted on top and maybe stretched. It's not a very good photoshop, but the high contrast and harsh colors hide it at first glance. At least I tried to smoothly merge the teeth with smile.cat.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

Ive seen BME pain final round. Nuff said.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:45 am UTC

It looks more like a pig than a dog.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

grimgrin

Postby grimgrin » Sat May 16, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sat May 16, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

scary.JPG
scary.JPG (3.36 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Sat May 16, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

Gears wrote:
scary.JPG

oh.my.gggggg help!

happy-go-lucky

Postby happy-go-lucky » Sat May 16, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

The one grimgrin posted is scarier. They both freak me out a little bit, but not enough that I wouldn't sleep.

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Sat May 16, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

Gears, you totally freaked me out with that. I thought some jerk had put in the real thing and I was like "NOOooooo oh. He's rather cute."
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:28 am UTC

For some reason, I found this image creepier (of course, it still fades after you see it for a few seconds/instances):
Spoiler:
crreeepyy.jpg
crreeepyy.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Tue May 26, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
110986_smile.dog.jpg

Seriously? You're all going on about this? wtf. It just looks like someone hit the wrong button on photoshop.
idont_know12 wrote:For some reason, I found this image creepier (of course, it still fades after you see it for a few seconds/instances):
Spoiler:
crreeepyy.jpg

Do you all suffer from the ability to creeped out by anything?
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:00 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:
idont_know12 wrote:For some reason, I found this image creepier (of course, it still fades after you see it for a few seconds/instances):
Spoiler:
crreeepyy.jpg

Do you all suffer from the ability to creeped out by anything?
It's mostly, I think, due to the just-off-of-human appearance, which implies to the primal parts of our mind that something bad is happening - think injury-caused disfigurements. Once our more advanced mind comes into play and lets us know it's just image manipulation, we get over it. The initial spook is an instinctive response.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu May 28, 2009 7:16 am UTC

No, it just made me think of that guy from the (really lame) Saw movies.

Esc

Postby Esc » Thu May 28, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

I don't find it scary either, but both it and that picture gears posted are creepy. Sure, they look goofy, but to me it comes off as a sort of mad goofiness, staring at me with those absurdly round eyes and looking like it might do anything. It seems so wrong. Threatening. Kinda like the Joker, but not nearly as bad.

As for the spider picture, my first reaction was "Aww..."
Spoiler:
Image Image Image Image
Silver2Falcon wrote: As soon as we see a space tourism company insulting their competitors in a crappy infomercial, Mars will be less than 20 years away.

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

That is not even the real picture, as far as I know.

I found this on 4chan /x/. I go to that board for my everyday laugh.
http://filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pics/ ... 10a6dc.jpg

For those 'tl;dr' guys out there, scroll to the bottom.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

The only reason I find these creepy is because I'm expecting the buggers to move at any moment.
Ⓞⓞ◯

TmSwyer

Postby TmSwyer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:14 am UTC

What I'm wondering is if someone could post the scary story behind it. I love horror stories and yesterday I read it for the first time and it freaked me out to the point where I couldn't sleep lol

It's not the picture; it's the story that builds up to the picture. Does anybody have the story saved?

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:17 am UTC

It's in the Creepy thread.
Spoiler:
I first met in person with Mary E. in the summer of 2007. I had arranged with her husband of fifteen years, Terence, to see her for an interview. Mary had initially agreed, since I was not a newsman but rather an amateur writer gathering information for a few early college assignments and, if all went according to plan, some pieces of fiction. We scheduled the interview for a particular weekend when I was in Chicago on unrelated business, but at the last moment Mary changed her mind and locked herself in the couple’s bedroom, refusing to meet with me. For half an hour I sat with Terence as we camped outside the bedroom door, I listening and taking notes while he attempted fruitlessly to calm his wife. The things Mary said made little sense but fit with the pattern I was expecting: though I could not see her, I could tell from her voice that she was crying, and more often than not her objections to speaking with me centered around an incoherent diatribe on her dreams -- her nightmares. Terence apologized profusely when we ceased the exercise, and I did my best to take it in stride; recall that I wasn’t a reporter in search of a story, but merely a curious young man in search of information. Besides, I thought at the time, I could perhaps find another, similar case if I put my mind and resources to it.
Mary E. was the sysop for a small Chicago-based Bulletin Board System in 1992 when she first encountered smile.jpg and her life changed forever. She and Terence had been married for only five months. Mary was one of an estimated 400 people who saw the image when it was posted as a hyperlink on the BBS, though she is the only one who has spoken openly about the experience. The rest have remained anonymous, or are perhaps dead. In 2005, when I was only in tenth grade, smile.jpg was first brought to my attention by my burgeoning interest in web-based phenomena; Mary was the most often cited victim of what is sometimes referred to as “Smile.dog,” the being smile.jpg is reputed to display. What caught my interest (other than the obvious macabre elements of the cyber-legend and my proclivity toward such things) was the sheer lack of information, usually to the point that people don’t believe it even exists other than as a rumor or hoax.
It is unique because, though the entire phenomenon centers on a picture file, that file is nowhere to be found on the internet; certainly many photomanipulated simulacra litter the web, showing up with the most frequency on sites such as the imageboard 4chan, particularly the /x/-focused paranormal subboard. It is suspected these are fakes because they do not have the effect the true smile.jpg is believed to have, namely sudden onset temporal lobe epilepsy and acute anxiety. This purported reaction in the viewer is one of the reasons the phantom-like smile.jpg is regarded with such disdain, since it is patently absurd, though depending on whom you ask the reluctance to acknowledge smile.jpg’s existence might be just as much out of fear as it is out of disbelief.
Neither smile.jpg nor Smile.dog is mentioned anywhere on Wikipedia, though the website features articles on such other, perhaps more scandalous shocksites as goatse (hello.jpg) or 2girls1cup; any attempt to create a page pertaining to smile.jpg is summarily deleted by any of the encyclopedia’s many admins.
Encounters with smile.jpg are the stuff of internet legend. Mary E.’s story is not unique; there are unverified rumors of smile.jpg showing up in the early days of Usenet and even one persistent tale that in 2002 a hacker flooded the forums of humor and satire website Something Awful with a deluge of Smile.dog pictures, rendering almost half the forum’s users at the time epileptic. It is also said that in the mid-to-late 90s that smile.jpg circulated on usenet and as an attachment of a chain email with the subject line “SMILE!! GOD LOVES YOU!” Yet despite the huge exposure these stunts would generate, there are very few people who admit to having experienced any of them and no trace of the file or any link has ever been discovered.
Those who claim to have seen smile.jpg often weakly joke that they were far too busy to save a copy of the picture to their hard drive. However, all alleged victims offer the same description of the photo: A dog-like creature (usually described as appearing similar to a Siberian husky), illuminated by the flash of the camera, sits in a dim room, the only background detail that is visible being a human hand extending from the darkness near the left side of the frame. The hand is empty, but is usually described as “beckoning.” Of course, most attention is given to the dog (or dog-creature, as some victims are more certain than others about what they claim to have seen). The muzzle of the beast is reputedly split in a wide grin, revealing two rows of very white, very straight, very sharp, very human-looking teeth.
This is, of course, not a description given immediately after viewing the picture, but rather a recollection of the victims, who claim to have seen the picture endlessly repeated in their mind’s eye during the time they are, in reality, having epileptic fits. These fits are reported to continue indeterminably, often while the victims sleep, resulting in very vivid and disturbing nightmares. These may be treated with medication, though in some cases it is more effective than others.
Mary E., I assumed, was not on effective medication. That was why after my visit to her apartment in 2007 I sent out feelers to several folklore- and urban legend-oriented newsgroups, websites, and mailing lists, hoping to find the name of a supposed victim of smile.jpg who felt more interested in talking about his experiences. For a time nothing happened and at length I forgot completely about my pursuits, since I had begun my freshman year of college and was quite busy. Mary contacted me via email, however, near the beginning of March 2008.

To: jml@****.com
Subj: Last summer’s interview

Dear Mr. L.,

I am incredibly sorry about my behavior last summer when you came to interview me. I hope you understand that it was no fault of yours, but rather my own problems that led me to act out as I did. I realized that I could have handled the situation more decorously; however, I hope you will forgive me. At the time, I was afraid.

You see, for fifteen years I have been haunted by smile.jpg. Smile.dog comes to me in my sleep every night. I know that sounds silly, but it is true. There is an ineffable quality about my dreams, my nightmares, that makes them completely unlike any real dreams I have ever had. I do not move and do not speak. I simply look ahead, and the only thing ahead of me is the scene from that horrible picture. I see the beckoning hand, and I see Smile.dog. It talks to me.
It is not a dog, of course, though I am not quite sure what it really is. It tells me it will leave me alone if only I do as it asks. All I must do, it says, is “spread the word.” That is how it phrases its demands. And I know exactly what it means: it wants me to show it to someone else.

And I could. The week after my incident I received in the mail a manila envelope with no return address. Inside was only a 3 ½ -inch floppy diskette. Without having to check, I knew precisely what was on it.
I thought for a long time about my options. I could show it to a stranger, a coworker… I could even show it to Terence, as much as the idea disgusted me. And what would happen then? Well, if Smile.dog kept its word I could sleep. Yet if it lied, what would I do? And who was to say something worse would not come for me if I did as the creature asked?
So I did nothing for fifteen years, though I kept the diskette hidden amongst my things. Every night for fifteen years Smile.dog has come to me in my sleep and demanded that I spread the word. For fifteen years I have stood strong, though there have been hard times. Many of my fellow victims on the BBS board where I first encountered smile.jpg stopped posting; I heard some of them committed suicide. Others remained completely silent, simply disappearing off the face of the web. They are the ones I worry about the most.
I sincerely hope you will forgive me, Mr. L., but last summer when you contacted me and my husband about an interview I was near the breaking point. I decided I was going to give you the floppy diskette. I did not care if Smile.dog was lying or not, I wanted it to end. You were a stranger, someone I had no connection with, and I thought I would not feel sorrow when you took the diskette as part of your research and sealed your fate.
Before you arrived I realized what I was doing: was plotting to ruin your life. I could not stand the thought, and in fact I still cannot. I am ashamed, Mr. L., and I hope that this warning will dissuade you from further investigation of smile.jpg. You may in time encounter someone who is, if not weaker than I, then wholly more depraved, someone who will not hesitate to follow Smile.dog’s orders.

Stop while you are still whole.

Sincerely,
Mary E.

Terence contacted me later that month with the news that his wife had killed herself. While cleaning up the various things she’d left behind, closing email accounts and the like, he happened upon the above message. He was a man in shambles; he wept as he told me to listen to his wife’s advice. He’d found the diskette, he revealed, and burned it until it was nothing but a stinking pile of blackened plastic. The part that most disturbed him, however, was how the diskette had hissed as it melted. Like some sort of animal, he said.

I will admit that I was a little uncertain about how to respond to this. At first I thought perhaps it was a joke, with the couple belatedly playing with the situation in order to get a rise out of me. A quick check of several Chicago newspapers’ online obituaries, however, proved that Mary E. was indeed dead. There was, of course, no mention of suicide in the article. I decided that, for a time at least, I would not further pursue the subject of smile.jpg, especially since I had finals coming up at the end of May.
But the world has odd ways of testing us. Almost a full year after I’d returned from my disastrous interview with Mary E., I received another email:

To: jml@****.com
Subj: smile

Hello

I found your e-mail adress thru a mailing list your profile said you are interested in smiledog. I have saw it it is not as bad as every one says I have sent it to you here. Just spreading the word.

(:

The final line chilled me to the bone.

According to my email client there was one file attachment called, naturally, smile.jpg. I considered downloading it for some time. It was mostly likely a fake, I imagined, and even if it weren’t I was never wholly convinced of smile.jpg’s peculiar powers. Mary E.’s account had shaken me, yes, but she was probably mentally unbalanced anyway. After all, how could a simple image do what smile.jpg was said to accomplish? What sort of creature was it that could break one’s mind with only the power of the eye?

And if such things were patently absurd, then why did the legend exist at all?
If I downloaded the image, if I looked at it, and if Mary turned out to be correct, if Smile.dog came to me in my dreams demanding I spread the word, what would I do? Would I live my life as Mary had, fighting against the urge to give in until I died? Or would I simply spread the word, eager to be put to rest? And if I chose the latter route, how could I do it? Whom would I burden in turn?

If I went through with my earlier intention to write a short article about smile.jpg, I decided, I could attach it as evidence. And anyone who read the article, anyone who took interest, would be affected. And even assuming the smile.jpg attached to the email was genuine, would I be capricious enough to save myself in that manner?

Could I spread the word?

Yes, yes I could.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

screech

Postby screech » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:54 am UTC

It's not that scary in a long term way, but it does make me flinch, which is more than can be said for most "scary" images.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

TmSwyer wrote:What I'm wondering is if someone could post the scary story behind it. I love horror stories and yesterday I read it for the first time and it freaked me out to the point where I couldn't sleep ¡This cheese is burning me!

It's not the picture; it's the story that builds up to the picture. Does anybody have the story saved?

JoeyJo0 wrote:That is not even the real picture, as far as I know.

I found this on 4chan /x/. I go to that board for my everyday laugh.
http://filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pics/ ... 10a6dc.jpg

For those 'tl;dr' guys out there, scroll to the bottom.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Themata

Postby Themata » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:37 am UTC

smile.dog sucks. Did not scare me in the slightest when I saw it. The story of Ted the Caver scared me though

itridis

Postby itridis » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:39 am UTC

Id like to point out, the image you all have been viewing is not the real smile.dog
http://img242.imageshack.us/i/1239397651062.jpg/
This is the link to the real smile.dog, enjoy

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:42 am UTC

Oh please, we've had about 4 versions of smiledog in this thread and the creepy thread.
At any rate, that one's less scary.
Ⓞⓞ◯

vaguelyhumanoid

Re: POLL:Was smile.dog really that scary?(Split from ITT:Cre

Postby vaguelyhumanoid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:40 am UTC

At one point it scared the shit outta me, but I clicked it in the middle of the night only knowing it was a "scary, Lovecraftian dog", seeing it almost FULLSCREEN, and then having an OCD fit over it which could only be stopped by basically staring the image down in my mind.
My mental state has improved, though, and now it seems almost like an old friend.
If you want creepy, look up Suicide Mouse and watch until the end.
Spoiler:
tesseraktik wrote: of course you need to gornax your frifftop to a proper taibou (which, as the construction of this tempered tutatu suggests, consists of two bed.pans joined by a haiku), or else angry zubat are going to flork off your penis.'

Balesk Baj, Timeburner
Location: Wherever parallel dimension I'm currently living in...

Postby Balesk Baj, Timeburner » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:36 am UTC

I see it as a regular dog with a red background. It's not that scary...

Or maybe because I only saw it for about 3 seconds.

The story, on the other hand, is kinda interesting.
Magnanimous wrote:I'd have a giant I Tetris piece shoved down my throat, after which my neck will flash and disappear.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

I now think internetmeme was trying to use me to make an internet meme. He was forcing it, I say!
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

smile.dog needs to go the way of old yeller.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:05 am UTC

sje46 wrote:I now think internetmeme was trying to use me to make an internet meme. He was forcing it, I say!

Actually, I wasn't.
At the time, I was pretty creeped out by it.
But after a day my fear went away.
And Daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmnnnnnn that's a long topic bump.
Spoiler:

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:44 am UTC

I haven't seen "the real" smile.dog posted in this thread, but one of the image links was broken and maybe that was it? (I use quotation marks because well, it seems there are several "real" versions around--it's just the only one I find scary.)

The weird dark looking dog with the hand next to it is not scary. At all. But THIS image scared the F out of me until I realized that there were human-looking teeth in front. From then it's clear to see the shoop. (It's also scarier if you see a smaller, grainier version of the picture)

Anyway, here goes:
Spoiler:
smiledog.PNG

Spoiler'd by popular demand. -Hodge.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:00 am UTC

Please put it in spoiler tags. Not that I personally find it scary (maybe the first time I saw it, and at night, but at the moment if I encountered that thing I would probably headbutt it out of rage, whilst moaning and braying), but others might dislike having it right out there, as it were.

In fact, it's quite a sad picture. It looks like a dog which has been injured in a fire; without the red filter I could imagine it being used on an advert for the RSPB or some other dog protection service.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Balesk Baj, Timeburner
Location: Wherever parallel dimension I'm currently living in...

Postby Balesk Baj, Timeburner » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:I haven't seen "the real" smile.dog posted in this thread, but one of the image links was broken and maybe that was it? (I use quotation marks because well, it seems there are several "real" versions around--it's just the only one I find scary.)

The weird dark looking dog with the hand next to it is not scary. At all. But THIS image scared the F out of me until I realized that there were human-looking teeth in front. From then it's clear to see the shoop. (It's also scarier if you see a smaller, grainier version of the picture)

Anyway, here goes:
smiledog.PNG

...And that is what I call disturbing.

*rolls into a ball thumbsucking trying to get it out of my head*
Magnanimous wrote:I'd have a giant I Tetris piece shoved down my throat, after which my neck will flash and disappear.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

ah, sorry for lack of spoilerage. I figured everyone was here to see smile.dogs!

And yeah, the version I posted is the only one I find creepy. I can tolerate it now, but the first time I saw it was in the creepy thread laaaate at night :(
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Return to “General”