Timepieces! (Watches, clocks, phones?)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What timepieces to you use/have/want?

Analogue wristwatch
17%
Digital wristwatch
11%
Pocketwatch
10%
Mobile/Cell phone clock
26%
Computer
24%
There's enough clocks around anyway
6%
Sun (none)
3%
Otter
3%
Duck
1%

Total votes: 397

Luthen

Timepieces! (Watches, clocks, phones?)

Postby Luthen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:29 am UTC

Inspired by the off-topic conversation in this NA thread about Abe Lincoln's watch, this thread is dedicated to the discussion of timepieces. This thread about analogue versus digital is also relevant.

Preferred timepiece? Why? Would do have/want? How do you use it? Pros and cons of various choices?
Are mobiles making all pocket/wristwatches obsolete?

I have an analogue wristwatch, fairly cheap, but with a metal band. Worn left wrist, face on outside. Was promised a Tag Heuer watch for getting good results in high school, but haven't called my dad on it (probably won't, it's just a watch).
Personally my favourite benefit for using an analogue watch is that it is easy to plan with it. A quarter of an hour actually means something and it's very easy to go "train'll take half an hour, walk five minutes, okay I'll have to leave in ten minutes." At least for me.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Sarr

Re: Timepieces! (Watches, clocks, phones?)

Postby Sarr » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:32 am UTC

I have a analogue wristwatch and a computer clock. I'd love a pocketwatch.

The main reason I have an analogue watch instead of a digital is because I can never remember how to set the damn things. With analogue, it's easy. Plus, it gets people confused when they ask to see my watch, which is always fun.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:34 am UTC

I tend to just use my mobile phone (when I've remembered to charge it) since I don't like the feeling of a wrist strap and still have problems reading analogue watches quickly. Generally I'm just one of those annoying people in the street who ask random passers-by for the time. I wouldn't mind a LED Binary Watch, though, or a pocket-watch and chain.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:37 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:I tend to just use my mobile phone (when I've remembered to charge it) since I don't like the feeling of a wrist strap and still have problems reading analogue watches quickly. Generally I'm just one of those annoying people in the street who ask random passers-by for the time. I wouldn't mind a LED Binary Watch, though, or a pocket-watch and chain.
Did somebody say...

...BINARY WATCH!?

phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:38 am UTC

I wear an analogue wristwatch because I dislike digital ones. I don't think I've ever seen a digital watch that I didn't find ugly. My younger brother got a really snazzy silver pocketwatch from his girlfriend. I'll get some pictures later. Maybe.

Orca

Postby Orca » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:39 am UTC

I love my pocket watch, it's the only way to go in style.
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:46 am UTC

I never got into using a mobile phone as a timepiece... but then, neither is my phone a camera, organiser, media player, PDA or portable gaming platform, either. A wristwatch makes it much easier to check the time... especially whilst on a bicycle (which I am quite often). Digital, for preference, since digital watches tend to have all the extra bells and whistles, like a stopwatch (useful on occasion) and a countdown timer (which I use all the time while cooking)... but I wouldn't say no to an analog watch either, they just tend to be more expensive (I buy my watches from the $10 selection in the department store). Sure, they tend to be kinda ugly, but I prefer function over style anyday.

eternal luna wrote:I wouldn't mind a LED Binary Watch, though, or a pocket-watch and chain.

Why not do both? An old-school-looking fob watch, but open it up, and it's a LED binary clock... that'd be awesome.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Velict

Postby Velict » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:00 am UTC

I own an analogue watch. I fall into the school of thought that male watches are essentially jewelry far more than utility items, so I consider wearing a watch to be just another component of dressing well. Digital watches just don't have the same sort of style that analogue watches do, and frankly, aren't hardly as aesthetically pleasing as a well-made analogue watch.

As for the type of watch, I prefer metal to plastic, and silver - or stainless steel/titanium- to gold. I've just never been too fond of gold watches; can't really say why. Mine is about middle of the line - on the upper end of what I can afford with my meager salary (I'm a student), but nothing exorbitantly expensive.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:11 am UTC

I have 2 analog watches (one dressy and one casual), a digital watch, my mobile phone and a watch necklace (antique ladies' equivalent of a pocketwatch, not like something Flavor Flav would wear).
Obviously, I don't wear them all at the same time.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:13 am UTC

crowey wrote:Obviously, I don't wear them all at the same time.
You should.

Edit: Anyone else wear their watch on their right wrist, rather than the social norm of the left wrist?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Edit: Anyone else wear their watch on their right wrist, rather than the social norm of the left wrist?

Yes... mostly. When I was in highschool, I tended to wear my watch on my right wrist. Then in late HS/early Uni, I switched to my left for some reason. But with the latest watch I bought, the strap's quite tight... I think it might restrict circulation sometimes if it gets in the wrong spot... so occasionally I start getting pins and needles in my hand, so I move it to the other arm to let that one recover. But it seems to spend most of the time on the right wrist.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:36 am UTC

Pocket watch is the way to go. Image:
Spoiler:
pw.jpg
pw.jpg (41.83 KiB) Viewed 3915 times

Mobiles making pocket watches obsolete? Ridiculous! They said the same thing about batteries.
Last edited by doogly on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:39 am UTC

phlip wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:Edit: Anyone else wear their watch on their right wrist, rather than the social norm of the left wrist?
Yes... mostly. When I was in highschool, I tended to wear my watch on my right wrist. Then in late HS/early Uni, I switched to my left for some reason. But with the latest watch I bought, the strap's quite tight... I think it might restrict circulation sometimes if it gets in the wrong spot... so occasionally I start getting pins and needles in my hand, so I move it to the other arm to let that one recover. But it seems to spend most of the time on the right wrist.
Yeah, I keep mine on my right mainly because I'm pretty skinny, and I have to tighten watches pretty tight to stop 'em spinning. Then, when I play guitar, there's too much pressure on the left hand with a watch on, so I've taken to keeping it on the right.

Edit: See my avatar? Right hand picking, has watch! :D

Velict

Postby Velict » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:43 am UTC

I do.

*shrug*

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Cellphone for me. I don't like wearing watches, and most of the time I don't really care what the time is anyway.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:25 am UTC

I got my watch for $7 USD at Target a year and a half ago. It's analogue, with a pretty blue face. Worn of left wrist.
Originally it was all steel with a neat black anodization. The black faded after 6 months, so now it's just steel-colored.

I'm split on the analouge v. digital issue. Analogs do generally look nicer, but as said above some of the features of digital watches are nice. For me, the ideal would be all steel/titanium, analog with small LCD insert, and would have full calendar. Radio Calibration and actual watertightness would be nice as well.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Mitora

Postby Mitora » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:02 am UTC

I have a pocket watch and my phone. I love the pocket watch so much, but it was so hard to find one for a girl. Ergo, I love my boyfriend so much for finding me one.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Have a metal analogue watch on my left wrist. I want a pocket watch like my mate got on his 21st. (I'm also going to start a tradition in the males of my family with pocketwatches). His is openable on the front, and the face has plenty of holes to see the inside ticking away. The back side also opens a little, so you can see more. It's really quite fascinating to watch for a while.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

doogly

Postby doogly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Why would you doom the future women in your family to inferior timekeeping?

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Indoors, there's always a computer around with the time. Outdoors, the sun works fine: when it's two handspans above the horizon, it's time to set up camp; one handspan, and it's time to close up for the night.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:57 am UTC

I've always worn my watch on my right wrist, despite being right-handed. I was never quite sure why. Just felt right, I suppose.

Like I said in the off-topic discussion mentioned in the OP, I've taken recently to-- I believe they'd be called "pendant watches"? The type crowey mentioned, that you can string on a necklace. I had one a long time ago that failed to survive a trip through the washing machine, and took to the notion again after I started volunteering at the library. For some reason, working the magnetizing machine there made my watch run slow (yes, I did try changing the batteries). Having a watch on a chain eliminates that problem. Plus, there's just something terribly cool about it.

I've never had a digital watch, really... given the choice, I do prefer the ones with arabic numerals around the side (rather than roman numerals or nothing at all), but I don't insist on it. I have used my cell phone to check the time, but that was mainly when I'd forgotten my watch. I don't have anything against digital watches per se, except they do tend to be lacking in the aesthetic department.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:03 am UTC

doogly wrote:Why would you doom the future women in your family to inferior timekeeping?

I didn't think girls wore pocket watches? I could very well be wrong, but I associate pocketwatches with waistcoats and suits.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:11 am UTC

I've seen more of my female friends in waistcoats than the male ones. Actually, I don't think I've known any boy to wear one.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:43 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:I've always worn my watch on my right wrist, despite being right-handed. I was never quite sure why. Just felt right, I suppose.
This.

Though I do own a wristwatch, I never wear it. I rely primarily on my cellphone clock as many young people do nowadays. If it's not my cellphone, it's my computer. Many times though, when I'm not held down by any sort of timetable, I just check if it's still light outside. Finally, otter.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:48 am UTC

Normally, I use my cell or iPod, as I carry them around anyway. I used to wear an analogue metallic one, but even after removing two joints it was too loose; it was heavy too. Anywho, I've gotten a pocketwatch from my grandpa. It doesn't work and he's keeping it or something. When at come, computer.

Dutchlike

Postby Dutchlike » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
phlip wrote:
Yeah, I keep mine on my right mainly because I'm pretty skinny, and I have to tighten watches pretty tight to stop 'em spinning. Then, when I play guitar, there's too much pressure on the left hand with a watch on, so I've taken to keeping it on the right.

Edit: See my avatar? Right hand picking, has watch! :D

I do the same thing, for the excact same reason :p.
Need to get myself a pocket watch though, girls digg that kind of thing don't they? :lol:

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:32 pm UTC

Zeroignite wrote:I'm split on the analouge v. digital issue. Analogs do generally look nicer, but as said above some of the features of digital watches are nice. For me, the ideal would be all steel/titanium, analog with small LCD insert, and would have full calendar. Radio Calibration and actual watertightness would be nice as well.

I happen to have this exact watch.
Snazzy looking stainless steel, small LCD with the digital time, the time in any other city you want (pre-set), stop watch, alarm clock, reminders, radio calibrated and waterproof up to 50m.

I was given it by my girlfriend, I only consider myself naked when I don't have it on.
I also wear it on my left wrist.

Another thing: I don't know if it would make any sense asking here, but I have been interested in getting to know a bit about watch making for a while, if anyone has any ideas of where to start that would be kind :)

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Atan

Postby Atan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

I own a digital metal wristwatch that I wear on my left wrist. It's been stated before, but it is highly convenient when on a bike, though if I'm sprinting to catch a train the knowledge that I'm never going to make it doesn't always brighten my day. The reason why it's digital... I guess because I have always worn digital watches. I used to swim a lot when I was a kid and I always managed to lose my watch; I'd put it somewhere and forget to take it with me. I chose to keep wearing my watch while swimming to cut back on the losses and for some reason the water-resistant watches were mostly digital.

Also convenient: cell phones are not allowed during exams, and not all lecture halls are well equipped with clocks. Having a wristwatch always enables me to check how much time I have left without disturbing other participants.

Pit

Postby Pit » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

I use my cellphone as my normal timepiece and my computer as my alarm or in-class timepiece.

I used to use a wind up pocket-watch, but one of the pieces fell off, and it is currently not in use. The unfortunate part is that it is particularly expensive to fix, so it's sitting in my desk unused, staring at me sadly...

I very much miss using a pocket watch. I think I miss looking at it for the time as much as I miss winding it.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

I use my mobile which is shit, as i'm always accidentally flinging it around the room as I try to take it out of my jeans pocket. It was meant to be a temporary substitute for a broken wristwatch, but here I am still using my phone a year later.

What I'd adore is a gold pocket watch on a chain, for me to cheekily whip out from time to time. I would also require a monocle and a bowler hat to wear alongside my new fancy pants timepiece.
i dare you to take me on...

doogly

Postby doogly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

Nah, you don't want a gold one. You want a heavy duty silveroid one, up to railroad conductor specifications. Then you can get one of the railroady hats! The stripedy kind!

Pit

Postby Pit » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

tin wrote:I use my mobile which is shit, as i'm always accidentally flinging it around the room as I try to take it out of my jeans pocket. It was meant to be a temporary substitute for a broken wristwatch, but here I am still using my phone a year later.

What I'd adore is a gold pocket watch on a chain, for me to cheekily whip out from time to time. I would also require a monocle and a bowler hat to wear alongside my new fancy pants timepiece.

From experience, they are terribly fun to wear with top hats as well.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:49 am UTC

I use my phone for everyday clockage. If I wear a watch it goes on my right hand (I'm left handed, so it always used to get in the way).

For special occasions I have a fancy pocket watch (wound, not battery). It matches three of my top-hats quite neatly.

ProudNerd

Postby ProudNerd » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:58 am UTC

My watch is both digital AND analog (clock hands in front of a digital display.) There's also the clock in the taskbar on my laptop, and an alarm clock on top of my desk. And my cell phone. I really only use the watch and the computer for time checking though.

However, I do have like four different alarms set to get me to wake up in the morning. There's an alarm at 7am and 9am on my clock, an alarm at 7am on my watch, and one at 8am on my phone. These are to make damn sure I get out of bed on time since I have a tendency to keep hitting snooze until time runs out or hit the off button instead of the snooze button. I've missed three classes so far due to oversleeping.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:
Zeroignite wrote:I'm split on the analouge v. digital issue. Analogs do generally look nicer, but as said above some of the features of digital watches are nice. For me, the ideal would be all steel/titanium, analog with small LCD insert, and would have full calendar. Radio Calibration and actual watertightness would be nice as well.

I happen to have this exact watch.
Snazzy looking stainless steel, small LCD with the digital time, the time in any other city you want (pre-set), stop watch, alarm clock, reminders, radio calibrated and waterproof up to 50m.
Linkey?
Interestingly enough, 50m water resistance does not mean that you could actually take the watch down 50m.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

ninjacore

Postby ninjacore » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

I'm just practical. All I use is my computer clock or my phone.

Wars are inherently exercises in unleashing and restraining chaos. The clash of opposing sides unleashes primal passions, which can only be controlled through enormous effort.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:06 am UTC

In fact... I use lots of different things. I used to have a pocket watch, but that got all wet from the rain, and stopped working. I used to use a watch until the watch strap broke. At work I use the computer clock (and google for other time zones). On the bus I use either my ipod or cellphone...

Most of all, I wish I had a neat watch. I do not like the look of "Good" watches, I want a neat one from Think Geek ideally...
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:14 am UTC

I do, I find it much more comfortable to look at the time with the hand that I predominantely use.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:18 am UTC

I've got a nice digital watch that I've had for maybe 10+ years. I'm right-handed, but the idea of wearing a watch on the left arm seems so odd... I also rather like this square clock I've stuck behind/under my monitor. I set them to 24-hour time, even though nobody uses that here, because I prefer it dammit D:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:23 am UTC

My watch is both analogue and digital. I'm not sure what the point in that is, though.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Return to “General”