Let's talk about lucid dreaming.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Agent Foxtrot

Let's talk about lucid dreaming.

Postby Agent Foxtrot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

So after years of wimping out, I've finally decided to take a stab at lucid dreaming. Before I start, however, I'd like to ask those of you who have had success with lucid dreaming a few questions:

• What method(s) did you employ?
  • How easy or difficult was it to use?
  • What was your transition from wakefulness to REM like?
  • What factors told you you were dreaming?
  • How did your attempts affect your normal active cycle (were you exhausted at work, etc.)?
  • What was your rate of success?
And finally:

• Would you mind sharing what your dream(s) was or were and how you interacted with them?

Any and all responses are welcome.

Jebobek

Re: Let's talk about lucid dreaming.

Postby Jebobek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

They've got a thread in the Science fora if you're interested in some of those responses: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31588&hilit=lucid+dream

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

whenever i realize im dreaming i wake up immediately after. :(
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Agent Foxtrot wrote:So after years of wimping out, I've finally decided to take a stab at lucid dreaming. Before I start, however, I'd like to ask those of you who have had success with lucid dreaming a few questions:

• What method(s) did you employ?
  • How easy or difficult was it to use?
  • What was your transition from wakefulness to REM like?
  • What factors told you you were dreaming?
  • How did your attempts affect your normal active cycle (were you exhausted at work, etc.)?
  • What was your rate of success?
And finally:

• Would you mind sharing what your dream(s) was or were and how you interacted with them?

Any and all responses are welcome.

1:DEILD (like a WILD)
2:On a scale of 1-10:6, remember, concentration concentration concentration.
3:Some odd visual and audio input, and finally a sinking sensation is what I normally get. Everyone has a different "route"
4:Usually breathing underwater or pinching my nose and being able to breath
5:Not at all, in fact, I was extremely refreshed in the morning last time.
6:Depends if I am actually trying. It's tough to convince yourself in the middle of the night to "work" that hard.

www.dreamviews.com
This is the best site to go to if you are a Christian (or other religion), like I am, who does not want the astral projection part of it (LD's are one of the ways they get into the "astral realm". I think it's just a very vivid LD, but I have read that many churches see astral projection as against God, so I just stick to lucid dreaming. They even have their own forum. On there, I am NASCAR, but I haven't visited the site in about 6 months.
Spoiler:

0range

Postby 0range » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:14 am UTC

Agent Foxtrot wrote:[*]What method(s) did you employ?

I was first introduced to it in 2007 through Carlos Castaneda's books. I tried the hand method for a few months consecutively before I threw it into the bin with the rest of Carlos' rambling.

In late 2008, I was arguing with my parents in my living room and for some reason stopped and stared at my hands. This made me realize that I was actually dreaming. I was elated, ran outside and took a leap. After what seemed 2-3 seconds of flying around (I gained enough altitude to see over the roofs of the surrounding houses) I felt like someone was watching me and panicked. I woke up into the worst sleep paralysis of my life. I have no clue how long I was truly immobile, but it felt like 40 seconds to a minute at least.

After that, I spent some time reading up on different styles and decided to start a reality check regimen. My trigger was whenever I would see my shoes I would try to pass one hand through the other.

Writing down my dreams was my other exercise.

I've also tried some other methods with no success. (Wake up, go back to bed, etc..)

Agent Foxtrot wrote:[*]How easy or difficult was it to use?

I found reality checking to be extremely easy. Every day when I got home from work or play, I'd put my shoes in a new place and forget about it.

Writing about your dreams upon first waking is a real bitch. I aimed to write everything down, at least keywords, but I probably ended up doing it less than half of the time.

Agent Foxtrot wrote:[*]What was your transition from wakefulness to REM like?

I'm not certain. I only ever had any success becoming lucid from inside of dreams. Coming out of lucid dreams has consistently been a bitch, however, as I consistently wake into sleep paralysis after lucidity.

Agent Foxtrot wrote:[*]What factors told you you were dreaming?

Aside from the first, always reality checks.

Agent Foxtrot wrote:[*]How did your attempts affect your normal active cycle (were you exhausted at work, etc.)?

Trying to lucid dream is something that affected me deeply. I began doing it when I was living alone in a 3 story Victorian beachhouse off-season - this alone, I believe, is enough to try anyone's sanity. Basically, I started losing it. I would constantly be uncertain whether or not I was awake (more about this later). I've always been a bit of a loner, but I really retreated into myself for this duration. I rarely answered phone calls, stopped socializing, started looking forward to bedtime as the culmination of my day, with waking up being the low point of every day. It wasn't unusual at all for a week to go by in which I spoke less than ten words.

That said, I wouldn't do anything differently, it was well worth it.

[*]What was your rate of success?

If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say less than 2%. I've since had to move, and I now live with other people. This has really put a damper on it. My last lucid dream was more than a month ago.

Agent Foxtrot wrote:[*]Would you mind sharing what your dream(s) was or were and how you interacted with them?

I've had a good dozen lucid dreams, ranging from barely achieving lucidity, to slipping in and out, to 2-3 minutes of uninterrupted time. A staple of my experiences was abject terror, at some point in every dream I became fearful for my life in a very real way.

Possibly the most interesting experience I had was when I got my balls up to try to identify what was causing this, and to confront it.

I woke up one night in my bed, just as I'd gone to sleep, and had a sneaking suspicion that I was dreaming. I reality checked myself, but I could not pass my hand through the other. Convinced that I was awake, I stumbled across my room, tripping over clothes and my piano bench and turned the light on, but the lightswitch didn't work. My suspicions came back, and I tried another reality check - this time I plugged both nostrils, closed my mouth and tried to inhale. I took a deep breath through my nostrils that were securely closed (as an aside, the closest I can describe this feeling as is the first breath you take underwater in SCUBA gear).

I became absolutely terrified, as everything was pitch black, I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. I opened the door and walked into the adjoining room in a sort of half crouch. After a few moments, I had a feeling that something was down the hall in the kitchen, and that if I didn't escape, it was going to do nasty things to me.

I sort of lost lucidity at this point, which pushed my fear even higher because I was losing the only bit of control I had over the situation (my lucidity). I frantically clung on by focusing my attention on things around the room. I remember that my goal was to get as lucid as possible and try to fly away. After a bit of this, I was as lucid as I ever was, but my efforts at flying away amounted to some pathetic little floating jumps and bouncing off of furniture.

When the terror started mounting to unbearable levels I made myself investigate. I coaxed myself down the hall toward the kitchen. When I rounded the corner, I saw my Mom standing at the stove, presumably cooking something. I remembered a bit of advice I'd read, which was to always ask people in your dreams what they are. When I did this, and I remember it vividly, my Mom smiled at me and told me in a bit of a coaxing, patronizing voice that, "Why, I'm your fear of authority." She then turned back to the stove.

I was filled with so many shocking and contrasting emotions (relief of overcoming my fear, elation at succeeding in my dream, indignation - I am NOT afraid of authority! - and underlying it, a sense that I'd made a real connection with myself) that I jolted myself out of sleep and woke.

I've had a lot of similar experiences, many of them took 3-4 reality checks, and a lot of inquisitiveness for me to determine that I actually was dreaming. This uncertainty lead me to do some strange things when I actually was awake, but that's another story.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

crickets

Postby crickets » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 am UTC

I lucid dream all the time, without any real research on it. Though, i'm also spastically crazy and tend to sleep ten or more hours if humanly possible. I find that if i'm having a day where i'm sleeping six to eight hours, the opportunity for lucid dreaming doesn't present itself as readily.

I first started when i noticed that i was having a recurring nightmare, in which i'm upstairs in my bed listening to my parents argue, and i /know/ that they're going to hurt me. Thus far i have managed to alter the course of that dream significantly. It started with little things, like getting out of bed and out the front door. Then putting shoes on and going outside. And so forth. Now i can get up, get dressed, get outside, and start an entirely new dream, though i occasionally loose the lucidity once i'm in a unfamiliar setting.

I've never had any problems waking from lucid dreams, if anything i get disappointed when i start to feel myself slipping out of REM. Though i have, on occasion, forced myself back down. I never know if i'm going to have a lucid dream when i fall asleep though. It usually just... occurs.

There are a lot of cues i have that tell me i'm dreaming. I can't turn on lights, or i constantly feel like lightbulbs are burnt out. I start finding money or things i really want all over the place, and i seem to know that i'm dreaming cause i know i won't have them soon. I can't chew and swallow food. If i bite down on my thumb, it feels squishy, and like pressure but no pain. Also, i have recurring dreams that i'm more able to affect. See above.

Usually i lucid dream about sex. It seems like if i become aware of the fact that i'm dreaming, i might as well have dream sex. It works fairly well, but not as well as i'd like. I have had orgasms while dreaming though. Also been in physical pain upon waking as well, but those are completely unrelated phenomena. I think it comes from the sleeping too much. My brain goes from "lets process what happened today" into "lets process all that junk floating around in your underlying anxiety problems" and things get.... weird.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

I wish I had the ability to lucid dream on command, so sleeping would be just as interesting as waking up.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:I wish I had the ability to lucid dream on command, so sleeping would be just as interesting as waking up.

Well, honestly, no-one really has that ability.

Usually the best way to get to around 75% of your dreams being lucid in some way is to find a method that works for you, usually WILD, DEILD, vitamin suppliments (haven't tried those, and don't want to. The idea of taking something to have a lucid dream just seems....unnatural.), WBTB, or even reality checks.

Over the summer I had them so often that I decided to cut back. It was getting somewhat annoying. Now, sometimes I toy with the dream, but usually I just find some menial task to do that will make me lose lucidity. Trust me, if you had a lucid dream every night, it would get boring very fast, and I was having about one per week before I stopped doing reality checks during the day.
Spoiler:

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

Vitamin supplemets?

That sounds ridiculous.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

Yeah, some hype about having...I think Vitamin C....or some funny name like melatonin or something like that...that supposedly helps. Dreamview's forum has a whole section about it. I don't buy it, like those subliminal message mp3's.
Spoiler:

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:58 am UTC

0range wrote:Lot's of VERY interesting stuff

O_O Orange... reading that has kind of scared the crap out of me .. But at least now I know what the hell is happening to me when I sleep half the time.

I must slip into lucid dreams really easily or something, I'm not sure. It tends to happen easiest if I try to fall back to sleep if I've already woken up in the morning. But as a result I'll usually start off having a normal dream (except it will feel extraordinarily realistic) but I can't see very well (like my eyes are half closed or something) normally that's a trigger for me that I'm actually dreaming, then for some reason I just get insanely frightened. I'm terrified so I try to wake up... I'll be trying to roll myself over, bashing my head against things, screaming and just doing my utmost to wake up and open my eyes...

But I can't....

And damn does it scare me.

I think I've only ever twice been able to overcome my fear and have tried to explore the dreams. One of those times I was able to learn something important about myself (I was lonely because I was afraid, or something like that) the other time I couldn't maintain it and woke up.

I've never intentionally tried to have lucid dreams, but I was hit by a car a few years back and afterwards had a huge problem with trying to work out when I was awake and when I was dreaming... It got quite scary and depressing. I thought I was dead. And I think this just made things worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to avoid lucid dreaming? And for how I can wake myself up from them without going through the fear process and trying to bash my head on things? (I'll always wake up with a huge headache when I do that...) I just want an 'escape' button.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:36 am UTC

I started with lucid dreaming after having had recurring nightmares and sleep-paralysis for several years. I don't know exactly how I do it. At some point I wasn't sleeping more than a few hours per week because my nightmares would get so bad I'd try anything to not sleep. At this point I did a lot of reading on dream-stuff (lucid dreaming, dream interpretation, what causes dreams, how to deal with nightmares and so on). I couldn't get it to work for a long time however, then suddenly one day it sort of just loosened. I had been starting up with martial arts again and just been at a 3-day self-defense course (when I went to sleep I had all these techniques and ideas from this in my head) when I had the usual nightmare (it used to consist of me waking up in bed and there being someone there trying to choke me), and I remember getting really mad that I let someone do this to me so I started fighting my nightmare. When my hand passed through the guy trying to choke me I knew I was dreaming. Then I kicked him and chased him away, and then I found I had complete control over my dream. At this point I decided to move my fingers which woke me up.

After that I've been able to dream lucidly in approx 20% of my dreams. I only get control over the nightmares though. Whenever I feel threatened or scared I make myself angry and take control and start fighting instead of fleeing. Once I get control over the enemies in my nightmares I just know that I am dreaming. For some reason I can only keep control over these dreams until I move my fingers, which will wake me up. I've also been having a lot of those moments where I don't know if I'm dreaming or not. Basically I try to stick to reality checks to deal with these, although I still tend to forget about it a lot (aka I don't realize that I might be dreaming), as reality checks I either bite the inside of my mouth or try moving specific fingers (I can move my hand in my dreams, but if I focus on just moving one finger at a time or a single joint, I will always wake up).

Sleep paralysis are the worst though. Being awake but unable to do anything. I try to deal with these the same way I do with the dreams I don't know are real or not. Mainly focusing on one small part of my body (a finger) and moving it, once it loosens the rest usually follows.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:38 am UTC

I don't really know that much about the subject, but I do lucid dream a couple times a month. My trigger is flying too fast up too high - I get insanely frightened as I feel the flight path peak, then realize I am dreaming as I fall. I usually let myself feel calm and land safely, then resume with the dream. I've never consciously tried to create the trigger before going to bed or tried to change anything in my dreams, barring a couple really awful recurring nightmares I had as a child (one where I watched as an Egyptian mummy tried to eat me, and one where I was forced to eat my dead father).

re: escape buttons - Sometimes I have dreams where I am forced to watch something terrible (usually someone or a group of people burning to death) on a TV that takes up my entire visual field. It is physically impossible for me to look away, so I try shutting my eyes. To my horror, I can still see. I panic, and shut my other eyes - the only way I can explain it is I'm shutting my 'second eyes', my mind's eye - and squeeze them really tight. When I open them, it is my real eyes I am opening, and the dream is gone. So maybe some kind of exit like that might help, nightlina?
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:45 am UTC

studyinserendipity wrote:re: escape buttons - Sometimes I have dreams where I am forced to watch something terrible (usually someone or a group of people burning to death) on a TV that takes up my entire visual field. It is physically impossible for me to look away, so I try shutting my eyes. To my horror, I can still see. I panic, and shut my other eyes - the only way I can explain it is I'm shutting my 'second eyes', my mind's eye - and squeeze them really tight. When I open them, it is my real eyes I am opening, and the dream is gone. So maybe some kind of exit like that might help, nightlina?

Hmm.. I'm not sure. It might work - normally in my dreams because I'm part-blind so I'll be doing all sorts of things to try and open my eyes, like physically willing my eyes closed and also trying to lift my hands to force them open. It feels like my eyes are sealed shut by something.

If I try to relax and close them I worry that I'll never wake again. I think the fact that I'm terrified makes it hard to act rationally.

But it sounds like your dreams are much worse than mine - bizarrely enough what seems to frighten me most in my dreams is just the fact that I'm dreaming - I don't think I've ever had a lucid 'nightmare' where I see horrible things.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:22 am UTC

nightlina wrote:Hmm.. I'm not sure. It might work - normally in my dreams because I'm part-blind so I'll be doing all sorts of things to try and open my eyes, like physically willing my eyes closed and also trying to lift my hands to force them open. It feels like my eyes are sealed shut by something.

I think it's the fact that my eyes are already closed when I shut them 'again' that gets the exit. I have to concentrate and center my energy on somehow shutting my eyes more, which causes the second eyes to close. But it sounds much harder in your case because it's the NOT being able to see that troubles you.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Villiers

Postby Villiers » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:26 am UTC

I've tried a few times to induce lucid dreams with no success. This is mostly because I wasn't motivated enough, particularly to keep a dream journal first thing in the morning.

Something I don't think has been mentioned yet is brainwave entrainment. Basically you use an external stimulus like light or sound to alter your predominant brainwave frequency. It sounds weird, but apparently the science behind it is pretty solid. There's a fair bit of information out there, but I'll get back to you with some links. If anyone's interested, you might like to look into binaural/monaural beats and isochronic tones. They did have an effect on me, but not enough to make me fall asleep. They might work for someone else though.

grapefruit1

Postby grapefruit1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:58 am UTC

What method(s) did you employ?

I didn't, usually it's just luck.

How easy or difficult was it to use?

This question's impossible for me to answer, considering it's sort of random for me.

What was your transition from wakefulness to REM like?

...Not sure what you mean?

What factors told you you were dreaming?

Something that was completely out of control for that dream. Note: for that dream. As long as the ENTIRE thing is insane, I don't have a problem. But if something is suddenly more or less out of whack than the rest of the dream, alarm bells start ringing.

How did your attempts affect your normal active cycle (were you exhausted at work, etc.)?

Can't answer this, didn't use techniques.

What was your rate of success?

I wouldn't say I had a rate of success, considering I have no real methods. However, in all my life, I've had about 7-8 lucid dreams, so: very low.

And finally:

Would you mind sharing what your dream(s) was or were and how you interacted with them?

Usually, the hardest part is pushing past the point where you figure out you're dreaming. I'll use the dream that lasted longest after that for this example.

Spoiler, partly because it's long and partly because most people probably don't care.

Spoiler:
My step-dad was assembling a paper mache horse for me to ride. It was at this point that I wondered how you could put plastic legs on a real horse and have them work - and then BAM! I realized I was dreaming. Immediately after that, my vision started to fade away - and I did NOT want that. As best I could I tried to focus on the fact that I was about to go horseback riding, not the fact that I was dreaming. It thankfully worked, and the garage and the horse and the street came back into view.

So I got on the horse, still not sure what to do with my knowledge I was dreaming. We rode out into the middle of the street. A car started coming down the road. We kept moving, but all of a sudden I fell off the horse. I am 100% certain that would have happened even if I hadn't known I was dreaming, and I am 100% certain I would have panicked even worse. Allow me to explain - when I fall in my dreams, I dont' get back up. If I do, I fall again. Imagine trying to move and run through thick, thick pudding, and you know what it feels like to get up after falling and trying to run.

Oh yes, the car hit me.

I would have probably died and then woken up. But, I knew I was dreaming. So I'm flying through the air, and I think "What if I had a seizure? Seizures seem interesting." (Don't ask why, I just always thought having a seizure would be a strange/interesting experience.) NOTE: It was not "Seizure. Now.". It was almost like it was just a passing thought, and all of a sudden I started jerking around uncontrollably, flying 50-ish feet up in the air over the length of a football field. Yes, I know that's not a normal flight path after being hit by a car. I sailed through a couple palm trees before crashing to the ground.

Then (and this is the weirdest thing I've yet to experience in a dream) I switched perspectives. I was a girl watching the police pick up my dead body and carry me away. I STILL knew I was dreaming, which just made it so much weirder. I pretty much thought "Okay, that's weird. Maybe I should wake up now." And I did.

See, I think the key to lucid dreaming is still letting the dream pretty much progress on its own. If you want something from the dream, don't force it. Ask politely, or regard it as a passing thought. (For example, if you want a glass of water, don't think "I want to conjure a glass of water on the table NOW". Think "Hmm, I'm thirsty. I wish I had a glass of water.") I might be totally wrong. That's just how it works for me.

I have a few other lucid dream experiences, but none that successful or that long. (This dream lasted [in dream time, probably a few HOURS in real time] about three to five minutes after i figured out i was dreaming.)

EDIT: Differentiated my answers from the questions so it's not just one big mess. :wink:
"If someone asks you, 'Are you ticklish?', it doesn't matter whether you answer yes or no. They're going to touch you."
- Demetri Martin

Themata

Postby Themata » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:47 am UTC

I used to do it quite a bit when I was younger, but it hasn't happened in quite a long time.

I would just be dreaming, and say something was chasing me I'd say to myself in the dream "This is a dream" and I'd either make myself wake up, or I'd be able to manipulate the dream.

I remember one dream I had where I managed to make myself fly on a broomstick (this was after reading Harry Potter) and it was damn awesome. I haven't been able to control any of my dreams in a long time though.

Dhes

Postby Dhes » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:29 am UTC

As far as I know (the dreams I can remember) are always lucid.

Probably the reason why never had a nightmare after the age of about 6 or 7.
Even then it was always the same nightmare that I had when half awake.
Staring out into the darkness, losing all concept of special dimension.
In the dream I was really small but the room was huge. Always ended with a old ship cannon or not being able to get to my father. It was always in black and white.

I guess I’m just lucky; my cousin has a lot of nightmares and night terrors :(
I’m dyslexic, so I tent tot pull things way out of contacts.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:34 am UTC

I've only had one or two unmemorable one-second lucid dreams, but I did experience the same phenomenon as studyinserendipity.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:58 am UTC

I get lucid dreams naturally, usually when I wake up in the morning. I can deliberately wake at any time, but other than that I don't exert much control. It's kind of like watching TV while half asleep. Oh, and what control I have isn't really directing my own actions - it's more just re-writing the "reality" of the dream.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:34 am UTC

I don't know if this is related to lucid dreaming but...

A few nights ago I had a really weird dream. I had trouble getting to sleep that night and I finally got to sleep around two. I dreamed that I was in a museum with my friend. I was so tired in the dream that I literally couldn't function. I could barely move or see. I felt like I was in molasses. It was so real, I felt that sluggish feeling so vividly, that it woke me up.

The real kicker is I think I had a false awakening. I think I dreamed that I laying down in my bed. Anyway, it scared the shit out of me, but I just went back to sleep. I would totally appreciate any insight or advice.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:50 am UTC

I tend to have lucid dreams every now and then. I've never really considered why or how, they just seem to happen. Very rarely do I have full control over the them, mostly I can 'will' my 'character' to do something. I suppose I should point out that I tend to dream in third person. Content/storylines of the dreams vary wildly, and range from fun to irritating to downright scary. Flying (which my mind treats as swimming through the air) is one of the most awesome things I have experienced(or haven't experienced, depending upon your perspective :P) and I highly recommend it.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:09 am UTC

Three melatonin. Seriously, shit's like honey from vicious Space Bees.

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:08 am UTC

I'm not sure if I lucid dream or not. I generally fall asleep while having a daydream, and (I think) when I'm asleep that just kind of continues. I know its just a daydream, and I manipulate the storyline and plot (I have complex daydreams). I'm either entering lucid dreams incredibly easily, or I'm just daydreaming until I sleep, followed by no dreams/dreams I don't remember.
Does anyone know whether continueing a daydream constitutes lucid dreaming?
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:30 am UTC

I'll have to try some of the methods listed here. DEILD sounds promising since I have good recall, and the breathing check is something that's accidentally triggered lucid dreams in the past. I've been having incredibly vivid, complex, internally consistent dreams lately (the only positive side effect of taking Ambien for my insomnia) and I would love to be able to control them. Normally I wake up as soon as I concentrate too hard on anything, but Ambien changes that, so I'm thinking now is probably the best time to try it.

Krikkit_Robot

Postby Krikkit_Robot » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

I figured out a fool proof way that always works for me.

A few semesters ago I had one class on tuesday, and it was at 8:30AM. So I would wake up at 8 going on only a few hours sleep, walk probably a mile and a half to class, sit through a hour and a half lecture and then return to my nice warm bed. As a result when I fell back to sleep I would ALWAYS have long sustained lucid dreaming which seemed to last the entire length of the second round of sleep.

So I took this model
*4-5 hours of sleep
*mild physical exertion
*hour of non-stimulating down time
*a second round of mild physical exertion
*second round of sleep.

Works like a charm, every time.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

I tried the DEILD system this morning. Missed quite a few, but eventually I tried a reality check (the one 0range described, breathing in with your nose plugged) in one of my dreams. Unfortunately, it was just as the dream was ending, but I managed to stay completely still with my eyes closed as I was waking up and ended up inducing sleep paralysis. I'm no stranger to it, it happens to me all the time anyway, so I was pretty comfortable with that.

Unfortunately, I was sleeping in a weird position with my face smashed against my pillow and my neck bent at a funny angle, rather than flat on my back. Whenever I get sleep paralysis in that sort of position, I feel a strange sort of trembling tic in my neck which is accompanied by an intermittent buzzing/grinding sound in my ears. Best I can describe is that it sounds sort of like a sound glitch in an old video game. This is in contrast to sleep paralysis on my back, where iI hear a similar sound but it's more constant, like static.

Anyway, I tried to visualize and enter a dream while I was in that state but it didn't work because of how distracting the buzzing was. By now I had been in that state for a few minutes and realized I probably wouldn't fall asleep again, so I opened my eyes to see if I would get any visual hallucinations (this has only happened once before, when my vision filled with television static). I saw a huge spindly spider-like something with foot-long wiry legs slink across my wall, then used my usual method to break out of it (which by now I can do in a few seconds) and wake up completely.

I'm impressed that it worked so well. I didn't get to a lucid dream, but inducing sleep paralysis was surprising enough for a first attempt, and I'll imagine I'll have fun with that even in the absence of any lucid dreams. I've also decided to get in the habit of reality checking as soon as a wake up, since I had a few false awakenings just this morning that I could have easily caught if I had.

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:20 am UTC

I've only had about 3 or 4 truly lucid dreams in my life. I can frequently control my dreams but hardly ever realize that I'm dreaming... I've been practicing reality checks so hopefully I will try one in a dream sometime.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:43 am UTC

If I ever think that a reality check might be useful, then I'm at the point where I don't really need one. Maybe my dreams aren't very realistic.

Return to “General”