xkcd sightings in your hometown (and other places)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MFHodge

Re: xkcd sightings in your hometown

Postby MFHodge » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Man, those people have no life.

:cry:

Sorry guys. Meeting's cancelled.

I'm gonna eat this whole Sailor Moon cake by myself in a dark closet.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:So, you're suggesting that it's entirely possible there are people out there who enjoy reading the posts without interacting, possibly picking favorites and forming fan clubs, meaning that right now there's possibly a "Second Talon is Supercool!" club?

Man, those people have no life.

I'd have thought there'd be a few, what with the schisms over which animated gif is the true avatar...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Man, those people have no life.

:cry:

Sorry guys. Meeting's cancelled.

I'm gonna eat this whole Sailor Moon cake by myself in a dark closet.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm Vice President of the Louisville chapter of the "Hodge is Awesome" club.

Because, y'know.. it's true.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

Vice president means theres atleast 2 people in the chapter! I wish I had a fan club with 2 people in it!
Oh wait, no I don't. That would be annoying...
Unless it means I get cake...
But then I guess, really,
I'm not cool enough for that.
So, the only option is...
Melbourne people,
do we have a
"Hodge is awesome"
club chapter?
I want to
join.

I promise not to bring the raptor...
also that paragraph is meant to be shaped like some sort of cool roller coastery thing.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

There's 14 chapters in Kentucky alone.

I hear Los Angeles has over 9,000.

There is no edit here. -Hodge.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...right now there's possibly a "Second Talon is Supercool!" club?

Almost anything's possible, no matter how unlikely. :D
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Ended

Postby Ended » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

The Fuck Grapefruit comic was on the main door to our maths faculty today (fuck replaced by 'feck' though). And I overheard some guys in the cafeteria talking about xkcd. Woo! We clearly have an xkcd underground.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

Ended wrote:The Fuck Grapefruit comic was on the main door to our maths faculty today (fuck replaced by 'feck' though). And I overheard some guys in the cafeteria talking about xkcd. Woo! We clearly have an xkcd underground.
MOST. AWESOMEST. IDEA. EVER.

Create an xkcd subway! Everyone hops on their little xkcd trains, and... erm...

[Edit coming when I have some more ideas. You've got to admit that it sounds cool, though!]
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Ended

Postby Ended » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:You've got to admit that it sounds cool, though!

Yes. Yes it does. Do want. (Er, I don't really know what it would consist of though. ...xkcd-themed seat covers?)
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:16 am UTC

I don't think I've seen any comics or even t-shirts around, not even around the engineering/maths building. Then again, I may not have been paying too much attention.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:01 am UTC

Ended wrote:
Cheese wrote:You've got to admit that it sounds cool, though!

Yes. Yes it does. Do want. (Er, I don't really know what it would consist of though. ...xkcd-themed seat covers?)

And 8-inch think solid titanium doors only openable by applying soft pressure to a finger pad.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:16 am UTC

Only active fora members may enter. What we'd do in there, I don't know, but it would be awesome.
VTHodge wrote:I'm gonna eat this whole Sailor Moon cake by myself in a dark closet.
I just got a hilarious mental image involving a cake shaped and coloured like Sailor Moon and the phrase "eating out".
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

aeki

Postby aeki » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:06 am UTC

xkcd comics were plastered all over the walls and doors in the technical areas of my university. Somebody even printed out a giant version of the pointers comic using a grid of normal-sized papers and assembled it in the front window over the computer science building.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:47 am UTC

My friends read xkcd and I know for sure that one has the trying science shirt, but apart from them I have yet to encounter any sightings. I probably need to get out more and actually look for them, though...
Insert witty phrase here.

Ended

Postby Ended » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

A guy in my lecture yesterday was wearing the 'compiling' t-shirt. Awesome.
-dubsola

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

Ended wrote:A guy in my lecture yesterday was wearing the 'compiling' t-shirt. Awesome.

That shirt must be new... I didnt notice it when asking for christmas presents...

I'm totally getting it. Maybe also the science and sudo shirts. This is all once I get a payment method for internets usage.

(I already have the no raptors and stand back! shirts, which generally go over very well. I think I'm impressing a fair few of the new first years at uni, by only wearing cool shirts.)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

swik

Postby swik » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

Was in the commons the other day and picked up a newspaper left on the table I was at and was pretty shocked to find an XKCD comic on the comic page. So yeah, apparently one of the VCU student papers features XkCD comics.

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

I knew my CS305 teacher was going to be awesome when he wore the sudo shirt on the first day.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:02 am UTC

A while ago, can't remember how many months back it was, but when going to class, there was a banner on the library proclaiming the university library to be one of the best in Florida or the US, can't remember which.

The important part was on my way back from class, when there was an equally sized [CITATION NEEDED] underneath it.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:01 am UTC

I saw a few in a math classroom where there was the sectional in jr. high all-county band. This was late January, apparently I didn't post about it?
Several people I know read it or have at least encountered it. One of my best friends has the stand back-I'm going to try science shirt. We both have various xkcd posted on our binders, and that's all.
Oh, wait, I was looking at my dad's local chapter of mensa newsletter and there was the one with the three guards in it. This time that's really all... for now.
[insert quote here]

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:20 am UTC

On Thursday evening there was a guy wearing a no-raptors shirt in my Java class.
Phones should be kept on silent, sir.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

CarolDC

Postby CarolDC » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:41 am UTC

Oh man, I have a few of these.

Every class-evaluation sheet I've filled out so far gets at least one "Not enough real-world problems concerning raptors are presented, please rectify this." The most I'd ever hoped for was that someone along the line got a laugh out of it, but... my calc tutorial did one during the first month of class. I walked in the next week, and the first thing I heard was, "So, I'm assuming all of you have seen Jurassic Park..."

Also, in the middle of the summer, on a bus in a neighbouring city, I tried to type some stuff on my laptop along the way (that doesn't work very well,) and my seatmate struck up a conversation with me. I have no idea how we got there, but xkcd came up and that topic kept us busy for the rest of the hour-long ride downtown. I don't remember the guy's name, but he was cute, and meeting somebody cool in that unlikely a situation made me really happy.

I've counted 5 comics on math doors, and two on physics doors here at UBC - I think. Plus more res doors and facebook postings/links than I care to count. Once, I saw a guy in Totem Park with the "My normal approach here is useless" shirt (but we didn't talk.) And, of course, I've introduced the comic to everyone I know who would appreciate it - that includes my brother and my mom. (She's getting me to print her a version of 'Electromagnetic Spectrum' - minus minus the Tampax and Depends - for her highschool classroom.)

Blubb3r3ng3l

Re:

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

3.14159265... wrote:I introduced xkcd to a buncha ppl, and it has been a frequenct for presentations. Btw mods, is that cool, to just refrence it, or does Randal want money for it kinda thing?

hehehehe, he has freeware activists with swords doing battle with Microsoft and RCAA goons and you think he'd want money?
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

turnip

Postby turnip » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

I don't think anyone around here reads it, nobody would really get it :roll:

But I have ordered the "useless" shirt, which should arrive here in a few weeks (shipping to Canada takes forreeevvvveerr), so maybe I'll meet someone. :P

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Hokay. Yesterday I attended a party with a couple of friends at the Saint Louis City Museum (which is basically a warehouse-sized, industrial-psychedelic, extremely unsafe and AWESOME playground. seriously. There are giant ball pits and a huge working wooden hamster wheel) , and randomly happened to be wearing my xkcd shirt (the college-themed one). 5 or 6 people commented on it, ranging from "cool shirt man" to this girl that just pointed at it and did that "Oh me yarm" mouth-covering gesture. I didn't really strike up much of a conversation with any of them, but it was somehow very gratifying. Also, by the time the 5th person commented on it, my friends were like "WTF?". I should really go to the city museum more before I leave for college...

Some pics of the epic City Museum:
http://www.citymuseum.org/phototour.html

To add to the awesomeness: there were free toasted ravioli, hot dogs, ice cream, and cookies.
If you ever go to STL you must go to this place.
Okay I'm going to stop before I get even more off-topic.
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Thu May 22, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

On 420 I was wearing my xkcd shirt and someone pointed at my shirt and

he: "Hey, great college eh?"
me: "Oh yes, I enjoy it"
he: "What's your major?"
me: "Hat studies"
he: "What have you found out about hats?"
me: "Well turns out, it's not the man that makes the hat but the hat that makes the man. Take for example 'Hat man'"

It was really spontaneous and it was mid day 420, so I wasn't very sober either. I enjoyed it.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:49 am UTC

SO I was wearing my XKCD college printed shirt while relaxing in a bookstore watching a chess game. Some twentyish guy (I'm 16 btw) walked up and said "Nice shirt" I gave him a hello and he walked off. It was pretty cool actually, considering I'd given up all hopes on seeing other XKCDers.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:15 am UTC

A few months ago at school, someone was standing there looking at the xkcd comics on my locker door. I didn't realize what they were doing at first until he mentioned "I was just admiring your xkcd." I made me feel special ^_^ And I'm glad I also have friends into xkcd... in fact one even let me duct-tape the fortune cookies comic to the front of our boxcar physics project (it was the most recent one at the time).

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

I randomly saw some other guy wandering around my uni campus wearing a regex shirt.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:So, you're suggesting that it's entirely possible there are people out there who enjoy reading the posts without interacting, possibly picking favorites and forming fan clubs, meaning that right now there's possibly a "Second Talon is Supercool!" club?

WHO SAID I FORMED A CLUB?

>.>
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:54 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:

>.>

Asskisser
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Aceo

Postby Aceo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

One of my math teachers at college has XKCD comic up on the walls of the classroom, very cool 8).
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

I went to a competition and talked about the strip with the mobius strip and a guy there said he had one. lots of people meet at math competitions read xkcd.
It rains on the enemy too!

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

Durring my life in the heart of the midwest I have came in contact with only a few xkcd related type things, but the guitar hero comic seems to circuate faily well, although often outside te regular xkcd crowd. From what I've seen xkcd is mostly a costal/Britain/Austrailian thing. Ahhh well, such is life in the American cultural desert.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Cryopyre wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:

>.>

Asskisser

Of course. :D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

Dangit. So no one goes to my school or at least has spotted a bottom locker near Brito's room that has xkcd comics on it (modern language wing). Since school is over in 2 anmd haif days or however one would count it, you'll see it next year. So look for locker (crap what's my locker? 1137 I think..).

I make xkcd sightings in my town, but I could do a better, more elaberate, and crazier job. Too bad there are few xkcd-ers in my town.

*sigh*
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

I ran into a guy at the gym today wearing an Stand Back I'm Going to Try Science shirt. He as reading a Stephen R. Donaldson book.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:24 am UTC

To the dude at the Macquarie Centre just now in the "Stand back, I'm going to try science" shirt: Hi! I would have said hello to you and stuff but you were on your phone. So in case you read this, the blonde girl in the purple scarf who did a crazy triple take and then smiled at you was me! Keep up the awesome shirt wearing!

Arjy

Postby Arjy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:32 am UTC

I wore my stand back, im gonna try science! shirt in harvard square, and I got like 4 high fives and one hug, all from hipsters. Crazy.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:09 am UTC

hermaj wrote:To the dude at the Macquarie Centre just now in the "Stand back, I'm going to try science" shirt: Hi! I would have said hello to you and stuff but you were on your phone. So in case you read this, the blonde girl in the purple scarf who did a crazy triple take and then smiled at you was me! Keep up the awesome shirt wearing!

hmm... my friend has one of those shirts, and works just around the corner from there.

however, friday is casual day, so he would not likely be wearing it today.

Return to “General”