*Riiiiiiiip!* (and other stories of true dedication)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

*Riiiiiiiip!* (and other stories of true dedication)

Postby keozen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:33 am UTC

After a bit of consideration I feel that this story is too amusing NOT to tell you all, even if it makes me VERY red faced.

Ladies and gentlemen picture if you will:

Some of you who follow Moo & Keo and read comments will know that I've been in a musical recently. It's been a lot of fun and the last night was this Saturday just gone. All in all the show was awesome but the last show was particularly "amusing" from the pov of the cast because of me.

I play the 2nd male lead in the show and have a couple of songs to myself. My main song being in the first half of the first act of the show. It's a very energetic number where my character more or less has a nervous breakdown in song, ending in me falling into a crouch and sobbing.

Can you guess what happened when i fell into the crouch on Sat? Yes boys and girls:

Riiiiip!

From almost the top of my ass down to just below by fly. The seam just ripped.
I felt it happen but, being in the middle of a scene, I couldn't do a thing. All i could do was to do the rest of the scene (around 5 mins) as normal trying to shield my rear end from the audience as much as I can with it looking natural to do so (which was difficult to say the least as i have to knock the other lead male to the floor at one point and jump atop of him laying into him in a fake fight).

Anyway, I got off stage and pleaded "Catastrophe!" to the back stage crew. Alas I had to be back on stage in around 40 odd seconds. Safety pins were rushed out to put a temp fix to the situation before I, yet again, went on stage.

Now, any other story would end here, but I'm not quite done yet. In the aforementioned "next scene" I had to bend down to pick up a suitcase at one point. I did so and felt *POP - POP* from two of the safety pins. Upon standing I felt pain.

Suffice to say I did the next 15 minutes of scene (including a song where I have solos) with a safety pin lodged in my rear and one in my, ummm, my....... Ummm, well suffice to say I'm male and we have a part of our anatomy hang around in that general region, and baggy bits of skin snare safety pins well.

I was saved afterwards and sewn up by a back stage angel (still IN the trousers as yet again it was a quick-ish change, I change my tops a LOT in the show but never the trousers). At the aftershow party I was awarded this year's "F*ckup of the show" award for my sheer dedication.

Ouch!

ninjacore

Re: *Riiiiiiiip!* (and other stories of true dedication)

Postby ninjacore » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:35 am UTC

I don't know when this could be more applicable than here. "nice story bro"

Edit: I had a good laugh. It just wasn't your night.

Wars are inherently exercises in unleashing and restraining chaos. The clash of opposing sides unleashes primal passions, which can only be controlled through enormous effort.

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:13 pm UTC

Ouch. I guess the show really must go on... :shock: !

[What show was it?]
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Jos

Postby Jos » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:24 pm UTC

I'm amazed that you could go on singing with pins piercing your groin... How did the audiance react to this whole story?
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

The show was "Merrily we Roll Along" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrily_We ... g_(musical) ).

Thankfully the audience as a whole didn't seem to notice what had happened. I'm shocked as to how they could have missed it (looking at what is left of my trousers) but the show must indeed go on.

So, does anyone ele have any similar comedic "Dedication in the face of disaster" stories?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

I alternated laughing and then felt bad and wanted to hug you but then I started to laugh again (back and forth) throughout that whole tale. I have nothing anywhere near as interested that ever happened to me. One of the Masters I know from karate had his gi pants rip while leading the black belt class a few weeks back, but he had an extra pair he went and changed into so it's nowhere near the same.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

I think we all like to imagine we would behave such, if it all hit the fan.

But you know.

Good job.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

CJTnoir

Postby CJTnoir » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

Not as bad as your story (that's amazing that you could go on like that), but I played Snug the Joiner in a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. There was a scene that I was supposed to run, pretend to trip over someone, and run some more until I was offstage. During one of the shows, the fake trip turned into a real trip, I sprained my ankle and rolled the rest of the way off the stage. The audience, thinking I was still acting, ate it up and said it was the best part of the play. Meanwhile, I'm backstage nursing my tennis-ball-sized ankle, and going back onstage to pretend it didn't hurt at all.
Yeah... I don't do anything in the theatre anymore.
...that's awkward.

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

My english teacher told us that he went to a professional showing of Twelfth Night, in London, I think. During the sword fight, one of the actors got hit in the ear, and started gushing blood down his neck. But he stayed up there, finished the scene, and then they got his ear to stop bleeding, so he finished the play. Even though his clothes were quite bloody.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

Last year I was in the high-school production of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, which was full of disaster, but the one moment that everyone took away from it is when one actor picked up another actor, and the picked-up one's foot swung forward, kicking the picker squarely in his, er, sleepy hollow.
He crumpled to the ground, and the one who kicked looked from the guy he kicked to the audience. And he nodded in satisfaction. Then the lights faded to black, thus ending the scene halfway through.
500%!

Mous

Postby Mous » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

I've always been amazed by actor's dedication to "the show must go on!"
I'm a stagehand, and we're not nearly as professional...
My story's not embarrassing (except for the mime makeup), but still very much painful:
I was a stagehand for a musical called Barnum a couple years ago. It was the most ridiculous job I've ever done, mostly because there were no blackouts but plenty of scene changes, so we had to wear mime makeup and dance. Dancing is not easy while carrying a box that weighs at least 10x what it should and hits your knees every time you take a step, and neither is choreographing said dances with other stagehands. In the middle of one scene change, me and another stagehand were spinning with our boxes when we crashed into each other, slamming my fingers between the two boxes we were holding. I could barely keep a hold of my box, and when I went backstage afterwords they were all swollen and black.
I ended up having to splint my fingers with duct tape and a pencil for the rest of the show, and when I went to the doctor the next day they were very much broken.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Return to “General”