3D moddler needed for a 'fairly easy' task

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

[.root/fail]

3D moddler needed for a 'fairly easy' task

Postby [.root/fail] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

If there is anyone here, or anyone who knows someone who is able t do 3D models, I hope to know. It does not matter what program or format is used to make the model. I just need pictures of a rendered model from a few angles, and, what would be even more helpful is if I could get .gif animations of it. The animation will be simple, I would assume, the models may be a little difficult, I'm not sure. What is needed are models of a special kind of gear, my design, I'm hoping to put a patent on, but it's fairly irregularly shaped, in many respects, so I myself, with a lack of artistic skills, am finding it difficult to do a drawing, let alone any kind of animation that would also help me when filing for a patent. Seeing that this is the open internet, I think you can all expect that I wouldn't be too open publicly about what this idea is like, I'm hoping to get in contact with someone who can do a model of it though, so I can get some pictures and an animation of it working, as well.
Yes, well that's a compelling argument; but you forget one fundamental fact, you suck!

[.root/fail] wrote:Only a loser would sig themselves...

Subliminity
needs friends

Re: 3D moddler needed for a 'fairly easy' task

Postby Subliminity » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Blender is free, but kind of hard to learn.

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

I've worked a little as a 3D modeler in the past, so if the models aren't all that complicated I think I'd manage. Feel free to PM me and we'll talk.
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

burntcerial

Postby burntcerial » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

google sketchup is free if u get the home version, and it can be learned in an hour or less

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:22 am UTC

burntcerial wrote:google sketchup is free if YOU get the home version, and it can be learned in an hour or less
Fixed.
But really, this is good advice. For "fairly easy" tasks, especially models of all right-angles, SU is super easy yet still quite powerful.
There's also a TON of free rescources for it, including a google-sized database of importable components.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:07 am UTC

Seriously, use gmax. It's basicly 3ds max.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:33 am UTC

Do you want a conceptual model, or something technically accurate? Blender, Gmax and the like are good for the former, but if you an actual accurate model that you can define dimensions for then I'd suggest looking into CAD software (or finding someone who can do it for you). The two fields are sort of related but not really, if that makes sense - a person who knows how to use Blender can't just jump into designing something on Solidworks, for example.

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

Zeroignite wrote:
burntcerial wrote:google sketchup is free if YOU get the home version, and it can be learned in an hour or less
Fixed.
But really, this is good advice. For "fairly easy" tasks, especially models of all right-angles, SU is super easy yet still quite powerful.
There's also a TON of free rescources for it, including a google-sized database of importable components.
Heh heh... no, this thing is ALL curves, actually. I think I only said it was easy, say, compared to a model of a human being.
Hawknc wrote:Do you want a conceptual model, or something technically accurate? Blender, Gmax and the like are good for the former, but if you an actual accurate model that you can define dimensions for then I'd suggest looking into CAD software (or finding someone who can do it for you). The two fields are sort of related but not really, if that makes sense - a person who knows how to use Blender can't just jump into designing something on Solidworks, for example.
I really just need the an animation of a working model, but, it might also be really helpful if I could also get exact measurements and such for how the model would be composed.
Yes, well that's a compelling argument; but you forget one fundamental fact, you suck!

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:27 am UTC

I suggest using modeling clay and do claymation (you can use a digital camera if you don't like film).

Kids these days with their newfangled computers!

Back in my day we played with DIRT!
And we were grateful!
Did you get the number on that truck?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:14 am UTC

[.root/fail] wrote:I really just need the an animation of a working model, but, it might also be really helpful if I could also get exact measurements and such for how the model would be composed.

Conceptual, then. I'd suggest working out the measurements first BEFORE you start trying to construct it accurately in 3D. ;)

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

*is wondering when he'll hear word from DonChubby*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

You pm'd him first, right?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You pm'd him first, right?
Yes, I did, we talked about it and he should be done by now, but I haven't heard back, but he has read my messages, as I have noticed.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Okay then.. assuming you started communication on the 7th and he started work then, publicly asking what's up comes across as being an impatient jackass when someone's doing free work for you.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Okay then.. assuming you started communication on the 7th and he started work then, publicly asking what's up comes across as being an impatient jackass when someone's doing free work for you.
Could be, or we could remember I have anxiety.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

[.root/fail] wrote:Could be, or we could remember I have anxiety.

doesn't make you look like any less of a jerk.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

kinigget wrote:
[.root/fail] wrote:Could be, or we could remember I have anxiety.

doesn't make you look like any less of a jerk.
Look is the key word. Life lately hasn't been UNkind, it hasn't for a long time, and, I challenge you to also come up with something you want to get patented, and to not worry about it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Ah, but the key point here is that you've requested the services of someone for free. In general, paid work gets priority over free work, and real life commitments get priority over internet ones.

In addition, if Don's doing this in his spare time, his other activities are going to take a priority over this.

So, if you've not heard a word from Don in a couple of weeks to a month.. then yes, a public "Hey, where are you?" is appropriate. This is, of course, assuming you've sent a few private communications to try and see where he is on the project, if he's gotten any work done, and so forth.

As for being impatient in getting the patent... you do realize that, at least in the US, getting a patent takes several years, right?

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Ah, but the key point here is that you've requested the services of someone for free. In general, paid work gets priority over free work, and real life commitments get priority over internet ones.

In addition, if Don's doing this in his spare time, his other activities are going to take a priority over this.

So, if you've not heard a word from Don in a couple of weeks to a month.. then yes, a public "Hey, where are you?" is appropriate. This is, of course, assuming you've sent a few private communications to try and see where he is on the project, if he's gotten any work done, and so forth.

As for being impatient in getting the patent... you do realize that, at least in the US, getting a patent takes several years, right?
Yeah, I do know it takes a long time, that attributes to worries and anxieties. I understand what you're saying, but I'm a person, even before seeking this out, is severely paranoid. I do feel bad about bitching, but I am also always nervous about this whole matter I'm pursuing.

Return to “General”