Doctrines of Religious Extremists

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheQntty

Doctrines of Religious Extremists

Postby TheQntty » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:42 am UTC

We (in the US at least) occasionally hear (from the media) about extremist Christians, Jews and Muslims and their doctrines. My question is: What are the doctrines of other religious extremists? What are the doctrines, for example, of extremist Buddhists? It seems weird given the beliefs of an average Buddhist, but so do the other 3. How about Hindus? Taoists? etc

For people who experience it, what are the doctrines of extremist religious people in your area?

podbaydoor

Re: Doctrines of Religious Extremists

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

I remember reading once about a monastery somewhere in Asia where the monks don't wash more than their hands and feet for fear of killing the millions of microorganisms living on their bodies. A quick Google doesn't turn up a name or location, though.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

Off the top of my head, look into Buddhism during Japanese expansion during its imperialist expansion (Nichiren Buddhism to be particular), as there were Buddhist tenets mixed with nationalism to form a pretty extreme ideology. There are also Hindu nationalist/extremist groups in India that are definitely religious extremists in every sense. You don't hear about either as much since both are usually confined to specific countries (i.e., Hindu extremists generally don't operate anywhere else but India, while Christianity and Islam are both much more widespread).

(EDIT: Look into the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP). There are naturally differing opinions on whether or not these constitute extremist groups.)

(EDIT2: Right, forgot about Aum Shinrikyo, the Japanese cult behind the sarin gas attacks in 1995. They draw on both Buddhist and Hindu sources.)

@podbaydoor, you're thinking of Jains. Jainism has perhaps the most "extreme" view of non-violence towards anything living (emphasis on the quotation marks). KF
~Kizyr

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:56 am UTC

From what I can tell,"religious extremists" are just people who take their religious text literally, at least in the case of the Middle Eastern Trilogy. I would expect the "extremists" of other religions are the same way.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:03 am UTC

There is no such thing as an extremist Taoist. If you were attempting to *be* an extremist Taoist, you'd be doing it wrong.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

frogman

Postby frogman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:49 am UTC

Isn't Buddhism about moderation? Therefore, there is no way you can be extremist Buddhist without not being a very good Buddhist. It's a paradox, that's for sure.
yeah yeah yeah

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:53 am UTC

frogman wrote:Isn't Buddhism about moderation? Therefore, there is no way you can be extremist Buddhist without not being a very good Buddhist. It's a paradox, that's for sure.

thichquangduc.jpg
thichquangduc.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

Fairly extreme.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

TurtleMidget

Postby TurtleMidget » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:09 am UTC

frogman wrote:Isn't Buddhism about moderation? Therefore, there is no way you can be extremist Buddhist without not being a very good Buddhist. It's a paradox, that's for sure.

Depending on your point of view, the same could be said for extreme Christians and Muslims.
GENERATION 98: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:From what I can tell,"religious extremists" are just people who take their religious text literally, at least in the case of the Middle Eastern Trilogy. I would expect the "extremists" of other religions are the same way.

I disagree. Being an extremist means picking and choosing the less generally socially acceptable parts of the relative holy book, then being extreme about them. For example:

The Qur'an states that not only can the lesser Jihad be called by someone of appropriate knowledge and religious learning, (which it hasn't) it must be a defensive war. Even if a Jihad is called, then anyone who kills a innocent, a woman, or a child, is headed straight downstairs once they die. Madrassas in mostly Saudi Arabia indoctrinate young Muslims in mostly the verses of the Sword, and even then only a few of those. Most Islamic fundamentalists have never read the whole Qu'ran, and that's the saddest part. They also tend to use non-Qur'anic texts which are usually more full of cultural laws. In my opinion, religion is usually just used as an excuse; people would fight anyway in a secular world, but just for different reasons.

Christian fundamentalists are somewhat of a different kettle of fish. They ignore many fairly crucial bits of the bible ("Love thy neighbour as thy self" is the first one that comes to mind.) while emphasising certain other, usually now forgotten bits, like THE FIRST creation story (there are two) as well as bits of Leviticus, which again are mostly cultural things. They then manage to do the fairly impressive trick of reading Leviticus, and only seeing the stuff about gay people and then becoming blind every time they see something about periods or mixed fibres or slavery being OK. It's remarkable, especially seeing as according to them the whole bible is the word of God.

Jewish fundamentalists: I don't know anything about Jewish fundamentalists. I do know a little about Zionists, but they i) aren't necessarily Jewish and ii) may not in fact be fundamentalists.

Edit: a tad ninja'd but I went into a little more depth :D

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:THE FIRST creation story (there are two)

can you post a link or summarise this please? I want to make sure our 'first' creation stories are the same.

isnt it terry pratchett who states that people only see what their mind wants to see and ignore everything they dont? Hence why death can order a curry without everyone freaking out.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:11 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:From what I can tell,"religious extremists" are just people who take their religious text literally...

And the "religious extremists" are the only ones going to their respective heavens. If the rest of the following actually realized what was being demanded of them, they might think twice about being part of it. I was raised Lutheran, and I've never met someone who has taken the whole religion seriously. An extremist Lutheran is a terrifying thought; it would have to be out of its fucking mind.

I've been considering reading through Luther's Small Catechism again so I can call out my parents when they aren't obeying his words.

"Bush was appointed by God, you know."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:13 am UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:
can you post a link or summarise this please? I want to make sure our 'first' creation stories are the same.
The first bit of Genesis and the very next bit wherein different orders are given for the creation, but the overall gist is the same (being "Here's this God cat. He makes stuff. After six days of making stuff, he says "Wooo golly, I'm beat. Time to kick back, take it all in, and see where I'm goin' from here." ... ) would be my assumption.

The first version has God making all the stuff.. like rain.. and the other animals...or plants... before he makes Man. The second version has him creating Man before he makes rain.... or plants... or the other animals...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:39 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Gellert1984 wrote:
The first bit of Genesis and the very next bit wherein different orders are given for the creation, but the overall gist is the same (being "Here's this God cat. He makes stuff. After six days of making stuff, he says "Wooo golly, I'm beat. Time to kick back, take it all in, and see where I'm goin' from here." ... ) would be my assumption.

The first version has God making all the stuff.. like rain.. and the other animals...or plants... before he makes Man. The second version has him creating Man before he makes rain.... or plants... or the other animals...

Ok, not what I was looking for I was looking for Lilith tbh but I think she's more of a semi-mythical/made up character, still love and prefer the lilith included creation story though, so much like religion in general I shall ignore youre possibly semi-factual interpretations of life on Earth and worship a vast mound of fictional bullcrap.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:36 pm UTC

Notably, in one of the two Old Testament creation stories, a plural word is used to refer to God. I've read that this is an artifact of the polytheistic proto-Judaism.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

Well, Genesis 1:27 does have God making a Man and a Woman at the same time. 2:22 has God making a woman later. I find it interesting that most fundamentalist Christians only accept the order of creation as given in the first part right up until you get to the sentence mentioning a woman.. then they only accept the second part.

As for Lilith, you're not going to find much mention of her in the Christian Bible, if any. Some people take the disagreement I mentioned to mean that God created two women for Adam, one of dirt like he, and one from his rib. Isaiah 34:14 mentions her, depending on your translation of it. Or I could just link you to the Straight Dope page discussing her which is by far the lazier approach.

And I'm all about the lazier approach. Which is why I could never be a religious extremist... unless it's the Eternal Church of the Napping Lord or something, wherein the most involved involved ritual involves being seated while waving one hand half-heartedly in the air and saying "Yay whatever."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “General”