How do YOU say the word meme?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How do YOU say the word meme?

meem
113
77%
mem
14
10%
meh meh
10
7%
meemee
5
3%
Other
4
3%
 
Total votes: 146

User avatar
smw543
Posts: 1248
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby smw543 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:21 am UTC

Subliminity wrote:"mm-ay-mm"
Either you really need to work on your phonetic spelling skills, or you have a serious speech impediment (in which case I suppose it wouldn't be appropriate to make fun of you.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

User avatar
Subliminity
needs friends
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 am UTC
Location: Yucaipa, California
Contact:

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Subliminity » Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 am UTC

....mayme? Is that better? :? I...seriously...usually have no problem pronouncing stuff...

User avatar
L33tsaber
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:02 pm UTC
Location: Nebraska
Contact:

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby L33tsaber » Fri May 01, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

I say it as "meem", to sound like "gene" and "scene". (Why, yes, I am a Metal Gear Solid fan. How did you ever guess?)

User avatar
dalahäst
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 am UTC
Location: தமிழ் பன்னு வண்டும்.

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby dalahäst » Fri May 01, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Subliminity wrote:....mayme? Is that better? :? I...seriously...usually have no problem pronouncing stuff...


Don't you mean /mɛɪm/?

User avatar
evilbobthebob
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:18 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby evilbobthebob » Fri May 01, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Meme, rhymes with gene, because that's what it stems from, as loads of other people have said.
Image

User avatar
Gazared
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Southeastern Iowa

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Gazared » Sat May 02, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Why are people insisting that meme rhymes with gene? They don't rhyme! 'm' and 'n' don't rhyme.

Agleam, beam, blaspheme, bream, cream, deem, dream, esteem, extreme, gleam, redeem, regime, scheme, scream, seam, seem, steam, stream, supreme, team, theme.
All of these words rhyme better.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yikidy do yikidy da ping pong lippy tappy tootah.
- Advice from the 10th Doctor

User avatar
Subliminity
needs friends
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 am UTC
Location: Yucaipa, California
Contact:

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Subliminity » Sat May 02, 2009 4:08 am UTC

dalahäst wrote:
Subliminity wrote:....mayme? Is that better? :? I...seriously...usually have no problem pronouncing stuff...


Don't you mean /mɛɪm/?


...yeah. IPA unicode fails me.

User avatar
thistle
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:36 am UTC
Location: TX
Contact:

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby thistle » Sat May 02, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

Gazared wrote:Why are people insisting that meme rhymes with gene? They don't rhyme! 'm' and 'n' don't rhyme.

Agleam, beam, blaspheme, bream, cream, deem, dream, esteem, extreme, gleam, redeem, regime, scheme, scream, seam, seem, steam, stream, supreme, team, theme.
All of these words rhyme better.


Sure they rhyme better. But I was under the impression that two words with the same main vowel sounds rhymed.

See:
Spoiler:
Almost every rhyming poem ever.

User avatar
evilbobthebob
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:18 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby evilbobthebob » Sat May 02, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

Yeah, there's a term for that: assonance. The vowel sound is the only important part of words like meme and gene, because English speakers all pronounce the consonants in those words the same. Or so I assume. I don't see how the consonants n and m can be pronounced differently.
Image

User avatar
Gazared
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Southeastern Iowa

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Gazared » Sat May 02, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

evilbobthebob wrote:Yeah, there's a term for that: assonance. The vowel sound is the only important part of words like meme and gene, because English speakers all pronounce the consonants in those words the same. Or so I assume. I don't see how the consonants n and m can be pronounced differently.
Really? I don't know any native English speakers who pronounce them the same. Is this a regional thing?*

thistle wrote:Sure they rhyme better. But I was under the impression that two words with the same main vowel sounds rhymed.
Yes, they sort of rhyme. What I'm saying, though, is that they're not the best rhyme.

*If my tone came across as sarcastic, it wasn't meant to; I'm genuinely curious.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yikidy do yikidy da ping pong lippy tappy tootah.
- Advice from the 10th Doctor

User avatar
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Location: ¿burning you?

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Cheese » Sat May 02, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

Gazared wrote:
evilbobthebob wrote:Yeah, there's a term for that: assonance. The vowel sound is the only important part of words like meme and gene, because English speakers all pronounce the consonants in those words the same. Or so I assume. I don't see how the consonants n and m can be pronounced differently.
Really? I don't know any native English speakers who pronounce them the same. Is this a regional thing?*
Not exactly "the same", but pretty similarly - say "mmmmmmmmmm", then say "nnnnnnnnn" - they should sound quite alike, although maybe not quite the same.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.
Image

User avatar
smw543
Posts: 1248
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby smw543 » Sat May 02, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:
Gazared wrote:
evilbobthebob wrote:Yeah, there's a term for that: assonance. The vowel sound is the only important part of words like meme and gene, because English speakers all pronounce the consonants in those words the same. Or so I assume. I don't see how the consonants n and m can be pronounced differently.
Really? I don't know any native English speakers who pronounce them the same. Is this a regional thing?*
Not exactly "the same", but pretty similarly - say "mmmmmmmmmm", then say "nnnnnnnnn" - they should sound quite alike, although maybe not quite the same.
By "English speakers all pronounce the consonants in those words the same" he meant that all English speakers pronounce the N in gene the same. They also pronounce the second M in meme the same. In other words, there is only one pronunciation for the letter N, and only one pronunciation for the letter M. The point is that the only potential variable would be the vowel sound (the first E.) See: Assonance.

Today's episode brought to you by the letter B and the number 4, as in "inb4 linguistic shitstorm", which is what I intended to post after evilbob's post (but I assumed that people wouldn't actually make a big deal about the ambiguous phrasing. Silly me.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

User avatar
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Location: ¿burning you?

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Cheese » Sat May 02, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Note: I don't know all these terms and am quite bad for not googling things.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.
Image

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 03, 2009 12:16 am UTC

To rhyme with cat, mat or sat.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Kalathalan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:06 am UTC

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Kalathalan » Sun May 03, 2009 12:22 am UTC

---
Last edited by Kalathalan on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Subliminity
needs friends
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 am UTC
Location: Yucaipa, California
Contact:

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Subliminity » Sun May 03, 2009 10:45 am UTC

Like I said...I pronounce it like "same"..

Same, mayme, meim, /mɛɪm/, maim...

meme.

Is there something wrong with me...? :?

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Gelsamel » Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 am UTC

Well considering it's a play on 'gene' I imagine it should be pronounced to rhyme with such.

Unless you pronounce 'gene' as 'gee-nee'.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
benjhuey
Posts: 3328
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:35 am UTC
Location: A collection of rocks

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby benjhuey » Sun May 03, 2009 11:13 am UTC

I used to pronounce it to rhyme with "maim" because everything else sounded idiotic. Now I just submit to pronouncing it idiotically (correctly).
多么现在棕色母牛?

User avatar
ExpatYankInBritain
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:30 pm UTC

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby ExpatYankInBritain » Sun May 03, 2009 12:31 pm UTC

I just pronounce it as "meem". It's only logical that "meme" should rhyme with "extreme," "blaspheme," "trireme," and other such words.

User avatar
evilbobthebob
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:18 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby evilbobthebob » Sun May 03, 2009 12:57 pm UTC

Thanks for clearing up my slightly vague statement smw543 :D This is what happens when I drag up memories of GCSE English lessons :P
Image

User avatar
smw543
Posts: 1248
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby smw543 » Sun May 03, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

evilbobthebob wrote:Thanks for clearing up my slightly vague statement smw543 :D This is what happens when I drag up memories of GCSE English lessons :P
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.[/English major]
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Mangraa
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:09 am UTC

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Mangraa » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:21 am UTC

Yes, old thread but meh.

I just today learned that it is indeed pronounced... "meem", although I have been pronouncing it as "mem" since around 1997 or 1998, back before the word/concept was (seemingly) unknown to the masses (which could be a less cynical or dickish way of saying "before it got trendy", but face it, it is.)

While the guy who "made up" the word says it's "meem", which is supposed to be like "gene", I learned French in high school, and guess what? There's a word, pronounced "mem", spelled "meme" (with accents), and it means "the same as", which is pretty damn close to Dawkins's "neologism". Something about a Greek word and it being related to the word "mimic"... which essentially means "to be the same as"... which comes full circle. While I like Dawkins for the most part, I can't help but think he did the whole "sounds like gene" thing to be clever, since I have a hard time believing he never encountered the French pronunciation or its meaning. Or is that "men-ing"? :P

While I'm not gonna necessarily argue about it as it's already pretty much set in stone and all, I still get kind of irked by it being pronounced "meem", especially when a near-similar word has been around for centuries, albeit in another language, but it's not like it can't be pronounced in English...

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

>>2472236
>he did the whole "sounds like gene" thing to be clever
>implying there is a better reason to do something
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

I had a similar argument with someone over pronunciation of the River Nene. She insisted on saying "nee nee" and it was driving me insane.

Nene rhymes with scene.
Meme rhymes with theme.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
F117Landers
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:00 pm UTC
Location: Japan

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby F117Landers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Subliminity wrote:Like I said...I pronounce it like "same"..

Same, mayme, meim, /mɛɪm/, maim...

meme.

Is there something wrong with me...? :?



This is actually the first time that I have heard this discussed. None of my friends were really into computers for more than facebook, but I'm not really surprised on the amount of variances for pronunciation. This, plus learning basic French (well, Canadian French, due to location), guided me to the same pronunciation.

What I am really saying is that if we understand what the other person is talking about, C'est la même!

User avatar
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am UTC
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

I've actually stopped saying the word meme and instead just let out a high-pitched, slow, undulating, wordless cry from my mouth-hole.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

User avatar
eternauta3k
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 12:19 am UTC
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby eternauta3k » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

afarnen wrote:Now that I think about it, I initially pronounced GNU as "gee en you" as well...
In spanish, it rolls off the tongue easier: ge ene u or just geneú.
And if you want to use our amasing contribution to the world, the ñ, just say ñu
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

User avatar
Von Haus
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm UTC
Location: Probably somewhere he shouldn't be...

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby Von Haus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

I'm confused by all the people saying they'd go for mem because in fench there is the accented word même. Is not the point of an accent that it changes the sound of the word, so surely that's an argument for meme (no accent) not being pronouced mem.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

User avatar
GenericPseudonym
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:30 am UTC
Location: Wherever I happen to be.

Re: How do YOU say the word meme?

Postby GenericPseudonym » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 am UTC

English, due to its lack of any accents in its alphabet, has a tendency to remove them from words it acquires. Think "resumé," "façade," and "naïve."

Edit for clarification: not saying that meme comes from the french même, just saying it would be possible to come to that conclusion.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests