Help me buy a boy a present!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

celandine

Help me buy a boy a present!

Postby celandine » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

The bf has a birthday coming up, and I'm terrible at shopping for guys.
I'm wondering if any of you have seen awesome, reasonably priced stuff on the internet that a male might actually enjoy receiving.
Relevant info: he's a geek, of the math/politics variety, but tempered by a fair amount of old-fashioned masculinity. (No robots with hearts.) Something of a fitness nut. Doesn't know the first thing about music (sadly) so that's out. He needs a lightweight jacket, but that might be a little too utilitarian...

Ever received a birthday present you really liked? Are clothes bad? What about nice-quality notebooks/messenger bags/organizational supplies? If I really don't know what to do I'll fall back on a book, because we have very similar intellectual interests, but I'd like something a little more personal.

celandine

Re: Help me buy a boy a present!

Postby celandine » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

For example: is this a good idea? I think it looks cool, personally.

Phpbb uses [url] for tags, rather than <a href="felstaff.com">... Think of it as when Pepsi rebranded back to their 1930s design: simpler to look at, but does the same job.

Socal Swimmer

Postby Socal Swimmer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

celandine wrote:The bf has a birthday coming up, and I'm terrible at shopping for guys.
I'm wondering if any of you have seen awesome, reasonably priced stuff on the internet that a male might actually enjoy receiving.
Relevant info: he's a geek, of the math/politics variety, but tempered by a fair amount of old-fashioned masculinity. (No robots with hearts.) Something of a fitness nut. Doesn't know the first thing about music (sadly) so that's out. He needs a lightweight jacket, but that might be a little too utilitarian...

Ever received a birthday present you really liked? Are clothes bad? What about nice-quality notebooks/messenger bags/organizational supplies? If I really don't know what to do I'll fall back on a book, because we have very similar intellectual interests, but I'd like something a little more personal.

get him a nice belt that matches alot of his clothes.

or you could get him a 500gb external hard drive. those are nice.

or some cologne that you would like him to wear, if he's okay with that, cause that is something that alot of guys may not get themselves.

or a few nice pens

good headphones are good, but you said he doesnt know much about music, so thats out.

or you could get him a second computer monitor (if he has a desktop that supports multiple monitors), preferrably one that matches his current one, or is better.

if you get something techy, I would recommend reading some professional/expert reviews so that you get something good, and at the same time something thats a good value. geeky guys sometimes appreciate the value/price ratio as much as the gift itself.

does he have any hobbies?
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

How old is he/you guys? I ask because the utilitarian approach can go over with varying degrees of good or bad depending on age. When I was 13 or 14 I wouldn't really appreciate a jacket or clothes, but nowadays if I needed a jacket or a dress shirt or a new windshield I would be very pleased if my girl gave me one for my birthday.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

Hm... A few ideas:
Harddrive was mentioned, which is ALWAYS an awesome present, but it is a bit more than the price of a jacket.

If I needed a new jacket, I would LOVE it if i got it as a present.

If the person is over the age of 20 I am sure he will love a jacket.

I do not know if it is always relevent, but my girlfriend bought me a wallet, which I loved dearly... until it got stolen. But anyway, if you can find a bad ass wallet online, that might be something.

Check out thinkgeek for ideas.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

I own the Pulp Fiction Wallet. It was a good Christmas present. As is any movie memorabilia. Like the cane from Citizen Kane.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I own the Pulp Fiction Wallet. It was a good Christmas present. As is any movie memorabilia. Like the cane from Citizen Kane.
Dude... If someone got me that wallet, I would love the like a fat kid loves cake.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:23 am UTC

Heh, my boyfriend just had his bday... I upgraded the harddrive in his laptop, got him some dvds (Flight of the Conchordes ftw!) and a jacket, too... It was a transformers jacket, and it looks sweet :)

And just recently I bought him some magnets as a random present. He loves magnets.

Age can make a pretty big difference when it comes to presents, but I don't think a jacket is really a bad thing at all - especially if you can get a slightly geeky jacket (snorgtees is awesome - I got my boy the 'Rawr means I love you in Dinosaur' tshirt for christmas last year and he wears it all the time :)

celandine

Postby celandine » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:33 am UTC

Thanks, guys. I think I'll see about a jacket -- a hard drive may be getting a little fancy.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:46 am UTC

celandine wrote:I'm wondering if any of you have seen awesome, reasonably priced stuff on the internet that a male might actually enjoy receiving.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=buy ... =&aq=f&oq=
Sorry, doesn't appear to be very helpful.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:51 am UTC

I'm a fan of ThinkGeek. There's not as much utilitarian stuff as "oh that's neat!" stuff, but it definitely appeals to me. I love getting gifts from here since they're sometimes things that I'd like, but I wouldn't actually go and get for myself. (With some exceptions...)

There's also Timmy's Psychic Gift Finder if you're up for it. KF
~Kizyr

SOSkanesumi ARK

Postby SOSkanesumi ARK » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:11 am UTC

personally, id try the xkcd store, i love the "science, it works bitches!" shirt.
Navi> hey luke hows han these days?
<luke> han?
<Navi> solo
* luke facepalms

Sorroth

Postby Sorroth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:12 am UTC

If he doesn't already have one, a spacious, functional, sturdy, good-looking messenger bag can be one of the most awesome things to receive, if only because they're so damn useful. Ogio does some good ones, and I think ThinkGeek has a couple of nice ones as well.
</streamofconsciousness>

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp

Postby Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

Gojoe wrote:
Felstaff wrote:I own the Pulp Fiction Wallet. It was a good Christmas present. As is any movie memorabilia. Like the cane from Citizen Kane.
Dude... If someone got me that wallet, I would love the like a fat kid loves cake.

Actually, I think fat kids have more of a love/hate relationship with cakes. On one hand, cakes are delicious and offer emotional solace when everyone else is making fun of them, on the other, they might not be so fat if it wasn't for cake. Overall, I think with time they might grow quite resentfull of cake, and all the anguish and self-hate it brings them.

nastysanta

Postby nastysanta » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:12 pm UTC

How about getting him a cool hat?
i would be psyched if someone bought me something like this http://www.swell.com/Sale/QUIKSILVER-FLAT-TIRE-FEDORA

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp

Postby Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

nastysanta wrote:How about getting him a cool hat?
i would be psyched if someone bought me something like this http://www.swell.com/Sale/QUIKSILVER-FLAT-TIRE-FEDORA

Please stay on topic, we are now talking about fat kids.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:06 am UTC

I would be happy with anything I got. I don't like getting expensive gifts, but maybe that's just me. Yeah, depends on how old he is. Heck you don't even have to buy him something, you can also go do something with him that would be fun. I would've loved to have taken my girlfriend paintballing with me.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:11 am UTC

Gears wrote:I would be happy with anything I got. I don't like getting expensive gifts, but maybe that's just me. Yeah, depends on how old he is. Heck you don't even have to buy him something, you can also go do something with him that would be fun. I would've loved to have taken my girlfriend paintballing with me.

Yeah, red letter days- I don't know what they're called in America- are a great idea. Things like drive a Ferrari for a day or something.

the.coding.eye

Postby the.coding.eye » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:31 am UTC

If he is into electronics, an Arduino Microcontroller might be a good present. I got one for Christmas and was thrilled. Also, as far as wallets and money clips go, CRKT makes a Knife/Money Clip. I have one of those and it is pretty handy.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:05 am UTC

If you are in the not-a-starving-college-student social class, getting him something like a nice chair, or new speakers to replace the shitty ones, or something else nice to replace something broken or missing is always good. Either that or get him a noseflute. You should be able to find one at a local music store.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 am UTC

Generally, I dislike gifts. My spouse and I do not exchange gifts. However, my mother loves gifts, so I do exchange gifts with her. She got me a fantastically lightweight rain jacket / windbreaker for Christmas two years ago, and I absolutely love it. So, yeah, I agree with the general consensus that jackets can be excellent gifts.

I do remember hearing on the radio someone talking about a study that indicated that fun activities generally make people happier than getting objects, so that is another very good option.

Return to “General”