[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Teapot

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQ Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Teapot » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:
acb wrote:Something along these lines might work, slightly more dressed up than a cap and I see loads of guys wearing them.
That is a pretty awesome hat (I think really I'm just looking for excuses to buy more hats).
I bought one. I was only planning on hiding my fringe in the hat but it's easier to put all my hair but my fringe under my hat. It looks a little more masculine, I think. Just waiting until my binder arrives now (probably another week away at least).
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

Yay for binders!! :D
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

acb

Postby acb » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Do binders that can hide big-ish breasts exist? Mine are a 34E and really dense, and I haven't bought one because I'm worried I'll just get a speed bump effect. Anyone have experience with this? Would I need to go with a tshirt/shirt/jacket combo to disguise it a bit?

Of course these are all theoretical questions as I don't have any money, but I am curious.

Glad the hat seems to work for you teapot :)

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

I don't know if you've seen this site? I bought my binder from there because it was recommended to me on drag king community. They have a section that tells you which binders work better for bigger breasts and which ones work better for smaller/medium sized breasts (under advice for the first time user) which helped me choose my one (mostly I wanted one that looked like a normal top for smaller breasts). I have yet to see how effective the binder actually is because it's still not even in the uk yet (not that that stops me from checking every two hours or so) but I figured it's probably going to work out better for me than the too small sports bra approach (which did absolutely nothing to flatten my boobs). The binders they recommend for larger breasts do seem to be a bit more expensive than the other ones though, so I guess it depends how much you're willing to pay for it.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

I found a Local LGBT Youth Group! And as luck would have it., they have Meetings every Friday and Tuesday Nights.

I'm going. Tonight. It's just a few hours from now. Wish me luck. :D

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

Wyvern wrote:I found a Local LGBT Youth Group! And as luck would have it., they have Meetings every Friday and Tuesday Nights.

I'm going. Tonight. It's just a few hours from now. Wish me luck. :D
Awesome! Good luck! :)
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:14 am UTC

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

wtf.

wtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtf
wtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtf
wtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfWTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

I just spent forever driving around in the dark trying to find this place only to finally get there and learn that it doesn't exist anymore. Apparently It's been gone for about 3 months. And there was no news of this anywhere that could be found without an 30-minute research session. And It was the only one nearby that I've even heard of.

bye bye sanity..................
Last edited by Hammer on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed wrapping

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Wyvern wrote:FU.
*super hugs* I'm sorry Wyvern. I hate that. So much. So very much.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

I hope something else shows up for you wyvern, it had to suck not finding out that place was gone until you tried to go.

I was wondering, what are good places to go to if I want to socialize and meet people? I want to do that sometime, because I don't really know anyone outside of my school, and I'd like to be able to socialize better. I might try presenting female and going out once, and this would also make that easier. That is still a maybe though, but what types of places should I go to?
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

acb

Postby acb » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

Thanks for the link teapot, good to know these people are recommended! They look like they know what they are talking about, the info for newbies was especially helpful. Think the best bet for me would be the long t-shirt type ones. They aren't ridiculously expensive, and there's not a lot of point getting a cheaper one if it doesn't work. When I get one I'll post here how it goes.

That's a shame about the youth group wyvern, I hope you find another one.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Does anyone know of any links, sites, or just gerneral advice for starting a LGBT Straight Alliance at a high school? I'm not sure how to/what to do in the meetings and what things to exactly discuse and all that jazz.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:08 pm UTC

I'm not much help for setting up one, but in my (college) GSA, we all wrote down a question/discussion topic at the first meeting, and every week we pick one out and go from there. It's worked out pretty awesomely so far.

If you're in high school, you'll definitely need a faculty advisor, I bet. If you can find one, they can probably help you set it up.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:52 am UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:Does anyone know of any links, sites, or just gerneral advice for starting a LGBT Straight Alliance at a high school? I'm not sure how to/what to do in the meetings and what things to exactly discuse and all that jazz.

For starters: GLSEN

I'm not sure what there is if you're not based in the US, but your google-fu is likely as good as mine.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Something interesting happened today.While I was out at work, some lady accidentally called me M'am.

And I liked it. a Lot. I was grinning for hours afterwords. I was really surprised at how happy I was after that.

Gender identity is something that I haven't though at all about before, but now It's starting to take center stage whenever I'm thinking about stuff. I'm mostly ok as I am now, I just have a lot to ponder all of a sudden.

And on another note: That group that I found out doesn't actually exist - well it still does. It took me about a dozen e-mails and phone calls but I found them. They're in a completely different place though. I'm going to try to see them next week (this time I actually know that they're there, so hopefully It'll be all ok.)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:46 am UTC

Wyvern w00t! I hope the group turns out to be a great place to be yourself. Everyone needs one of those. It's an amazing way to feel normal, like everyone else, just a person dealing with issues instead of "omgfreak". Go go Wyvern. :wink:

I can't quite imagine what it would be like to find people who would willingly call me "zie" or some neutral pronoun. It would probably make me feel weird, but free in a way. I seriously wish our world had a viable "human it" category. I'd be all over it so to speak.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

If lemons and limes are good enough for 7-Up then they're good enough for fuckin'. That's my motto.
- pseudoidiot

That's inzest.
- ObsessoMom

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:12 am UTC

poxic wrote:I can't quite imagine what it would be like to find people who would willingly call me "zie" or some neutral pronoun. It would probably make me feel weird, but free in a way. I seriously wish our world had a viable "human it" category. I'd be all over it so to speak.

Did you just read my mind? Because I'd love that. it sounds amazing. It just feels right.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:36 am UTC

Heh. I was just imagining my own perfect world, which happily coincides with yours. I identify mostly with neutrois/nongendered. There's also asexual on the side, which isn't your experience, I gather.

Being physically female is fine, I suppose, since it gives me some measure of invisibility. I'm used to the benefits and disadvantages of this sex. Waking up male one day would be interesting, but not something I particularly want. Waking up a member of a third, neutral sex... now that sounds fabulous (in several of its connotations). :mrgreen:
TEAM SHIVAHN

If lemons and limes are good enough for 7-Up then they're good enough for fuckin'. That's my motto.
- pseudoidiot

That's inzest.
- ObsessoMom

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:55 am UTC

heh, Nope, Asexual isn't in my experiences. It's still really cool though, so cheers to that.

Yep, I'm also fine with my sex, the problem is where society tends to expect a certain gender identity based on that sex. Which I'm really not liking. I don't feel nongendered, and male is not right. female would not be right either. Androgynous is more of what I'm looking for, a rather even balance, a middle ground between male and female. (I've come to this realization insanely quickly, because frankly, thinking of ways (and doing them, one step at a time) to look as androgynous as possible was the only thing that could distract me and actually make me feel happy and wanting to live when I was being ridiculously suicidal. That was a rather strong wake-up call.)

I think it's rather interesting how we'd both love a neutral pronoun even though while both of our feelings and desires differ vastly from the binary, they are still very, very different.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Jumping into the whole "GSA" topic, the first meeting for the one at my school is Friday, and I'm going. I'm kind of nervous, as I don't know the teacher holding the meeting (she's new this year, but passing her room and seeing the SafeSpace Pride flag on her door every day is really cool). I also don't know if anyone I know is going. And all of this is compounded by the fact that I'm going to look vastly out of place in my debate business formal dress.

But still, I'm really excited. I think that this is going to be a good thing, and am *so very, very happy* that the meeting is before school, as I'm not going to be at school after school. (Well, technically, I'll be at a school, just not at my school. I'll be across town failing miserably at debate.)

Also, congrats to Wyvern for finding a group, and Teacup for finding her stuff. And much love and support for the transpeople on this board, who should be able to be themselves without having to defend it all the time. And everyone else who I missed, too.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:36 am UTC

Wyvern wrote:I think it's rather interesting how we'd both love a neutral pronoun even though while both of our feelings and desires differ vastly from the binary, they are still very, very different.

Time to pull out that graph I found elsewhere in these fora, maybe:

Spoiler:
gendermap.gif
gendermap.gif (6.94 KiB) Viewed 3905 times

I fall somewhere in "neutrois". It sounds like you're in "androgynes" somewhere. So yeah, we're on roughly the same value for x/y, but not the absolute values of x and y. </math>
TEAM SHIVAHN

- pseudoidiot

That's inzest.
- ObsessoMom

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:22 am UTC

poxic wrote:Time to pull out that graph I found elsewhere in these fora, maybe:

Spoiler:
gendermap.gif

I fall somewhere in "neutrois". It sounds like you're in "androgynes" somewhere. So yeah, we're on roughly the same value for x/y, but not the absolute values of x and y. </math>

I've seen that Graph before! I can't remember where, but I do know it does a really good job at explaining all of this. And yes, it makes great sense to me. Probably anyone along the y=x line on that graph would prefer a gender-neutral pronoun, since any spot on that line would be equally distant from both the 'male' and 'female' sections.

Thanks for bringing that graph out! I have no idea why I didn't save it when I saw it before. *saves* :mrgreen:

acb

Postby acb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 am UTC

Hooray for all the happiness! :D

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:34 am UTC

Hooray for Wyvern! I hope everything works out well!
Also, animeHrmIne, I hope your meeting on friday works out as well. I think it's awesome that that teacher is so supportive too.
Good luck everyone!
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:15 am UTC

So. I'm bisexual.

... wow, for coming out, that had remarkably little fanfare.

Anyway. There's this girl I like. A lot. Thinkin' of asking her out soonish, see how it goes. I know she's keen on ladies, and I'm pretty definite she likes me. It's just a matter of being a responsible, sane, functional human being.

And maybe coming out to my family at some point, if it should become relevant. Not too keen on that. My family is a bunch of jerks. I love them, but they're still huge jerks. Parental unit especially is a bit of a black box - no idea how she'll react. Ditto sister, to a lesser extent. Have always privately hated brother, so don't really care what he thinks.

Spoiler:
And there's the whole "living situation" thing, which is pretty shitty in that I am basically the "other parent" figure since Dad died, only my mother consistently undermines any authority I have with the sibs. ("You are not the mom! Blah blah blah!" Meanwhile, she neglects them.) So it's just chores and half-assed passive-aggressive "well what do you think would be a sensible idea, then?" parenting instead of, y'know, telling them do do shit.

She, the girl I like, is going to go away to college at some point. I am stuck at home, sacrificing my dreams of becoming a psychologist-author-teacher-comic book artist-translator, so my mother and sibs can pursue their own dreams, and mum can get a full-time job. Someone has to drive the brats around to classes and grocery shop and shit like that while the parental unit is off pursuing a PhD in neuroscience and a position in a research lab. Speaking of my driving future, I'm getting my license soon, hopefully, so I might be able to land a full-time job somewhere.

...Probably in the service industry, since I have zero experience and no undergraduate degree yet. I'm stuck with part-time college courses, since financial aid is not an option and going away to full-time school would be detrimental to the rest of my family. (Yeah, I pretty much live in the town library. Science textbooks. Preventing brain rot. The life of an autodidact. Etc. ) 'Course, Jerkface, my former best friend, sees no reason why I can't just apply to an Ivy League college and get in and have fun like he's doing, and he looks down on me for it. Which makes me feel even shittier since I trusted him with everything for five years, and he vanished the minute I stopped chasing after his attention. Needless to say, he is not on the "guess what, I'm bisexual!" list.

Overall, my life is pretty depressing, I guess. *laughs* But my main worry is being a drag on the lady I like. It's a little dumb to be thinking that far ahead, though. Probably. (I mean, it's assuming we get together at all...)

Stupid drastic life events screwing things up. *shakes fist*

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

Delalyra wrote:I'm not much help for setting up one, but in my (college) GSA, we all wrote down a question/discussion topic at the first meeting, and every week we pick one out and go from there. It's worked out pretty awesomely so far.

If you're in high school, you'll definitely need a faculty advisor, I bet. If you can find one, they can probably help you set it up.

Thank you Hellen and Delalyra for the input! I had trouble downloading the GLSEN though before hand. >.<

animeHrmIne, could you let me know what you all discussed at the first meeting and such? I know it isn't until Friday, but, it would be nice to know afterwards. ^^ Thank you.

Spoiler:
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:

<3

steewi

Postby steewi » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:19 am UTC

Water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink!

I like to meet fun, handsome and flirty men, and even dance with them, such as recently (about four or five of them...), but it sucks when they're all straight (and frequently, married). :?

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:21 am UTC

H.E.L.e.N. wrote:I think it's asking a lot for any group of *humans* to present a "united front." Especially on matters that can get super-personal.

(This might be semantics. I want to say it more like, "if only members of $group could treat each other with more mutual respect/support." Because that's an LGBTetc issue elsewhere too.)

Understood, H.E.L.e.N.. By its very nature, there's a lot of diversity in the trans community, but it upsets me that trans people can have such difficulties respecting/supporting each other. A common complaint is "If we can't accept each other, what hope do we have of getting the straight world to accept us?"

One difference betwee the trans & gay communities is that gay people naturally seek each other out & socialize with each other. And that involves learning to interact with gay people who may be quite different to oneself. Whereas trans people have traditionally been a lot more isolated and have rarely had the opportunity to discuss what being trans means to them. The Internet is certainly helping with this, but we still have a long way to go.

BTW, I quite like the gender diagram that poxic posted here recently. It shows that the various labels vaguely mark out regions of genderspace and that they are not little boxes to stick people in.

steewi wrote: it sucks when they're all straight (and frequently, married). :?

How annoying! I hope your luck improves, steewi. If they're straight, how come they want to dance with other guys...? I don't have much patience with people who think that bisexuality is an excuse for infidelity. When I've been in bi relationships, my rule is "no playmates unless you bring them home". It's not perfect, but it's far better than people sneaking around, cheating on each other.

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

*hugs for steewi* Yeah, flirty straight guys... okay, they don't suck exactly. But neither do they make life easier. (On the other hand, the one I was bothered about a while back has been a bit of an ass lately. That makes things... better? I dunno. Can't recommend it, though.)

Keep dancing, though. Law of averages says you have to come up with one eventually who's neither straight nor married, right? (I'm trying to offer goodfeelings through the law of averages. This is maybe not the *best* tactic.)
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:03 am UTC

If they're straight, how come they want to dance with other guys...?

When they're in a dance class with too many guys, someone has to switch. I switch dance genders (i.e. lead to follow) easily, so it's usually me. The advantage is that it's really the primary opportunity I get to dance with men. The disadvantages are that they're either friends who find it awkward, unattractive men or attractive straight men.

I've seen videos of dance classes specifically for people who don't care whether they dance lead or follow and are likely to be dancing same-sex. I want one of those.

I've seen references to a (sometimes) annual LGBT bush dance here on occasion. I don't think there's so much dancing there so much as drinking and making out, unfortunately for me. Not that I'd pass up the making out.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:07 am UTC

Yes, it's pretty normal in partner dance classes for people of the same gender to dance together or for someone to both lead and follow.

I do both--because learning to lead helps my following. I can understand how frustrating that would be steewi, I'm a swing dancer, not sure what sort of dance you do... but I hope you find something where you can enjoy dancing and not all the guys are straight. :D
Rice Puddin.

Clockwork_Golem

Postby Clockwork_Golem » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:21 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'm bi (mostly gay at the moment though) and it annoys me because I'm not sure what it means to me. My actual sexuality has never really been an issue for me, when I realised I liked guys I paused for a second and carried on. I've been having a problem recently though in that I don't know how I want to treat it. I'm fairly quiet and really private, so pride and such isn't really for me, but I want to make it a part of my life in some way. I've been going to my college's LGBT recently (after 3 years of considering it) and they're lovely and all but I don't know if I'll keep it up, going to try though.

My main problem is probably with my friends, those closest to me know about it and they're fine, but I think the college group is in the dark. I'm not exactly hiding it, I've dropped hints, but I don't seem to think it's important enough to actually come out to them (and yet here I am complaining about it). With them I feel like I'm holding something back, despite the fact that it shouldn't affect them at all. With my closer/older friends, I can say what I want but there's not going to be much back and forth. If I found a guy they'd be supportive, but sometimes when we're drinking some of the guys will say things like "If I was that way at all, which I'm not..." reminding me that they're straight, aside from that it never really comes up. They're great though, I just think it makes them uncomfortable.

I'm lucky though in that I have at least one person I can talk to about it freely, although I'd worry about putting too much on her. There's another guy who's fine with it, one of two people to actually ask me if I'm seeing a guy, or try to set me up with one. Unfortunately I don't know him well enough to feel comfortable opening up to him, even though he's only ever been nice, but that's just me.

Really it's not a big deal for me, so I don't want it to be for others. But I want to be able to acknowledge it in some way.

Spoilered for rambly, whiny, venty post.

Basically I'm bi, fine with that. Want to do something about it, don't know what.

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:26 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Yes, it's pretty normal in partner dance classes for people of the same gender to dance together or for someone to both lead and follow.

I do both--because learning to lead helps my following. I can understand how frustrating that would be steewi, I'm a swing dancer, not sure what sort of dance you do... but I hope you find something where you can enjoy dancing and not all the guys are straight. :D

I won't say exactly what, because it's too small a group, but it's like swing, where it's good to know both. You would think, given the whole dancing bit, that there would be more of us queer folk around, but no, all the guys are pretty straight (and the girls, too). A lot of the guys ended up there because a cute girl said that there weren't enough guys...

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:29 am UTC

I just ordered two binders, one black, one white.

I am giddy as all heck.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

yay!! :D

Oh, I got approved for the loan. I can get breast augmentation.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

*high-five! more specifically, one of those wacky high-fives where you miss each other's hands but then keep going until you hit them! because those are cool and difficult to pull off!*

Likeso:

_/\_

_X_

-=-

_ _
X

_ _
||

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

:D yay for windmill high fives!

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

Hooray! :D I'm so happy for you Jessica!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

Now to finish it all off with a call to the surgeon and book a time. And get the little other things done too.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:yay!! :D

Oh, I got approved for the loan. I can get breast augmentation.

YAY!!! BOOBIES!!!

Spoiler:

Felstaff wrote:

<3

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

Now, all I have to do, is convince myself that it's a good idea to get the implants, and that, no, no one will look down on you. Even though everyone you talk to clearly looks down on "all those girls" who get plastic surgery. They wouldn't do that to you... you're not like them. You're... what? different? Not a girl? Someone you know? What?

Maybe it's just because I'm trans. We're allowed to get all the plastic surgery we want, and there's no problems with that. I mean, it just makes us better at our jobs. You know, being a hooker. everyone knows that's all transpeople are good for. Sex work. and being killed.

God, why does this bother me... it's what I want.

It's what I want... Right? Yeah. Fuck. I hate this stupid everything.

FUCK.

Return to “General”