[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mumpy

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQ Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Mumpy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:19 am UTC

I have to say, it's all about Rastamouse for me.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:26 am UTC

poxic wrote:I had to check out a different video to make sure that wasn't what the show was actually like.

The pony infection of putting different sound over pony videos apparently started on /b/, but has already been to reddit in the meantime ... so now it's everywhere.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

After getting out of the musical, I went for a walk around the school. 'Twas a nice, sunny day and so perfect for a nice walk. I put on my headphones, started to play (and sing along to) the soundtrack of my favorite musical. I took off my jacket so that I could get as much sun as I could.

I walked counter-clockwise around the school. I passed the tennis courts, then the nature trails, then the baseball and softball fields. When I came to the stadium, I stopped. I haven't been inside there in two years, I thought. I decided to go inside. I turned right, went up the bleachers — right up to the tippy-top — and walked across.

I looked over the side and saw how my shadow hit the grass below. I realized that my shadow resembled one of my friends — one of my girl friends. With my jacket hung on my arm and swaying back and forth in the wind, my shadow made it seem as if I was wearing an evening gown.

It kind of made me realize... maybe presenting as I wish won't be as hard as I fear sometimes.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:
scienceroboticspunk wrote:I shaved my legs ... It took forever

The reason I haven't shaved for a month. That and my skin usually decides that no matter what I try it will look like I didn't shave, it will be prickly again in ~4 hours, and it will leave razor burn so bad that it itches and bleeds for days. But mostly the time.

Have you tried other options besides shaving?
Epilation. Cold wax. Hot wax. I group these in the "Oooowwww" group. I haven't even tried, they hurt from thinking about them.
Spraying a spray or rubbing a lotion on the hairs, wait for some time, scrub them off. Works surprisingly well. Unless you happen to be allergic to the stuff.
Bleaching the hairs so they are still there but so fair nobody sees them. Never tried that, but seems to work fairly well, depending on your skin tone and hair color.

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:After getting out of the musical, I went for a walk around the school. 'Twas a nice, sunny day and so perfect for a nice walk. I put on my headphones, started to play (and sing along to) the soundtrack of my favorite musical. I took off my jacket so that I could get as much sun as I could.

I walked counter-clockwise around the school. I passed the tennis courts, then the nature trails, then the baseball and softball fields. When I came to the stadium, I stopped. I haven't been inside there in two years, I thought. I decided to go inside. I turned right, went up the bleachers — right up to the tippy-top — and walked across.

I looked over the side and saw how my shadow hit the grass below. I realized that my shadow resembled one of my friends — one of my girl friends. With my jacket hung on my arm and swaying back and forth in the wind, my shadow made it seem as if I was wearing an evening gown.

It kind of made me realize... maybe presenting as I wish won't be as hard as I fear sometimes.

That sounds promising :)

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

For getting rid of leg hair I really stand behind moom. It actually does keep the hair gone longer and it is thinner when it grows back. Plus better for the environment in that I don't throw anything out, but recycle a glass jar from time to time.
(Also, totally edible. Had to stop one of my roommates from doing that in the past.)
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

Sounds pretty awesome. But only available in North America? Googling at least brought up no German results.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Sounds pretty awesome. But only available in North America? Googling at least brought up no German results.

If you go to the linked site, it lists a lot of countries on the left-hand side... doesn't list Germany, but does list Poland and Hungary... so they might still be willing to ship to Germany.

Edit: http://www.moom.com/shipping_terms.php seems to not have problems with shipping anywhere internationally.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:59 am UTC

I feel like it won't be long now

not long until I break.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am UTC

Thanks Aaeri.

Becani, if (virtual) hugs do anything for you, feel hugged.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Wyvern wrote:I feel like it won't be long now

not long until I break.
I know how you feel.
*hugs* if you want them.
Stay strong dear.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

*hugs*
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

So, I just came out to my brother. He was exceptionally ok with it, basically saying "I'm happy for you". When I explained that I had been spending all morning freaking out about it, he said "yeah, no, I really don't care". So that makes me very happy. And it means I can be a bit more open about it here on the fora, because he's the only person I know (and who knows that this is me) who's actually on here.

So, overall good morning.

Also, *major hugs for Wyvern*
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 am UTC

I have managed to stave it off though, for a little while at least, with what happened today.

I was at Fenway Health, as I promised to take the boyfriend for an appointment there. (He happened to be starting T just today. Super awesome but holy mother of unpleasant and disturbing mixed feelings batman!) And in the waiting room on the second floor I was sitting, stewing over why I haven't been there already, that I could have been there months and months ago if I hadn't had my spirit crushed by that gatekeeping 'therapist', and guilt over not having seen anyone for over half a year.

Boyfriend called by the doctor, he goes in. Just me waiting now. There was a girl there too, and she was pretty. We had traded glances and smiles a few times too. Eventually, she spoke to me, with a comforting and unsurprisingly deep voice. She asked how long I had been waiting, and I started to respond, but was cut off when a different doctor came calling for her. She wished me luck and I did the same for her.

"Good Luck," she said. I pondered that, pacing around the now empty waiting room, all tense. A thought that was just earlier a pipe dream came to the forefront. I am here, in Boston, at this clinic. I have wanted to be here for ages, to get started, and now I have an opportunity. Grab it. Could I? Could I really, as in this is really possible? I had nothing to lose by asking, and a whole lot more by doing nothing. I decided I had to, and after spending a moment steeling myself, I went for it.

After telling the receptionist where I was going in case boy came out before I returned, I headed upstairs, to where the guy I needed is. There was a receptionist there, and I just started talking. Asked if he was there and if he was available. If there was someone I could start talking to, just trying to get help from someone. He was kind, he was helpful. He found who I was looking for and talked to him. He was busy, but the receptionist did not come back empty handed. He came back with contact numbers, paperwork, and... asked me if I wanted an appointment. There was a spot open next Thursday.

At this point I'm baffled. Everyone working here has been kind, and helpful. To the point where I realized hat I had forgotten that people are actually capable of being kind and caring for patients. Tis' going to be a bit expensive to get down there and pay for this, but something convinced me that it was worth trying. Maybe it was because the people there seemed caring and understanding enough to not brush me off, or perhaps I just needed something to hope for.

And there it is. Feels surreal to me. I still am terribly depressed and have urges to just... deal with things myself, but I have something worth hoping for now, and can stave it off till at least next Thursday and see how things go there. I didn't see that girl again, which saddened me a bit, I wanted to thank her and give her a hug. Oh, and I feel proud of myself for getting there and back safely. I managed to drive through Boston, without getting lost or screwing up traffic even once! It was a bit easier than I expected, but it's still no mean feat I hear. :P

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Whoa whoa whoa, you were in Boston today?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:14 am UTC

Yes! I was. not for very long though, was just hanging around Fenway for a couple hours, being exhausted from all the driving I was doing. (boy is a bit far away already, so I was on the road for many hours today.) And I'll be there again... Next Thursday! :D

And thank you all for kind hugs. *hugs* <3

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:54 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:Story time. Near the end of last semester, my girlfriend and I were walking across campus when we ran into one of her TA's, who happens to be a really attractive, well-dressed guy. They chatted for a minute, then we went on our way.

Me: "So, what class was he a TA in?"
GF: "Anthropology"
(beat)
Me: (glancing back) "Okay...just...DAAAMN."
GF: "Gee Willikers I KNOOOOOW."

BTW, when you wrote this, did you write Gee Willikers or did the word filter make O M G (or something else that I am not aware of) into this?

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 am UTC

I'm going shopping on friday with my friend. I can't wait. This week needs to go faster. I am a bit nervous at getting girls clothes but it will be fun. I also already have a place in my room I will hide them.
I talked to my older sister about all of this today and she is being really supportive.
Sorry if I dont respond to things when I post in this thread. I'm still nervous and I'll try and get better at being in the thread cause all of you seem awesome. I'm gonna try and be better in this thread.
these are words
type, type, type

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:28 am UTC

scienceroboticspunk wrote:Sorry if I dont respond to things when I post in this thread. I'm still nervous and I'll try and get better at being in the thread cause all of you seem awesome. I'm gonna try and be better in this thread.

*hugs* no worries :)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 am UTC

@scienceroboticspunk
Good Luck! Be sure to pick something stylish up! :)
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:51 am UTC

So I thought some of the ladies in this here thread might appreciate this. It's a 40 min documentary about a production of The Vagina Monologues with an all transgendered cast and a new monologue specifically about trans women.
NSFW. The word vagina is said a lot.

http://www.logotv.com/video/beautiful-daughters/1623325/playlist.jhtml
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:40 am UTC

US only
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

Ack. Made a terrible attempt at avoiding the 'When will you get a girlfriend?' question. Normally I can change the subject pretty quickly but obviously the grandparents are feeling impatient.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Thank you all for the fine words of encouragement. The plans ended up falling through because her mum does not know me and wanted to meet me. Next time I see her I can go shopping with her. I might muster up the courage to go alone. If not I have a few other friends I could go with.

Goodluck [redacted]. *hug*
these are words
type, type, type

Sosekopp

Postby Sosekopp » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

Hi all! I'm unsure as to whether I am a Q1 or an A (or perhaps even B), but as a former victim of homophobic bullying I identify very strongly with the LGBTandabunchofotherletters movement. :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

Sosekopp wrote:Hi all! I'm unsure as to whether I am a Q1 or an A (or perhaps even B)

Hey, that sounds awfully familiar 8) . Welcome.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Sosekopp wrote:Hi all! I'm unsure as to whether I am a Q1 or an A (or perhaps even B), but as a former victim of homophobic bullying I identify very strongly with the LGBTandabunchofotherletters movement. :)

Welcome. ^_^

P.S. We usually just call this "the alphabet thread".

Sosekopp

Postby Sosekopp » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Thanks for the welcomes! ^^

May I share a quite thread-related quote (with context) from me when I was seven years old? :P
ME: Dad, can men marry each other?
DAD: Yeah, but then it's called a "civil partnership".
ME: Oh.
*later*
ME : Mum, when I grow up I want to marry *name of my cousin*, and if she says no I'll enter into a civil partnership with *name of my best male friend at that time*!

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:51 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:P.S. We usually just call this "the alphabet thread".

Maybe you do. I call it "the LGBTOMGWTFBBQ thread".

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote: I call it "the LGBTOMGWTFBBQ thread".

That name makes me hungry

I shaved my legs for a second time, just to try it again. SO MUCH EASIER AND SO MUCH SMOOTHER :D
these are words
type, type, type

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

That link is intense.

Brace

Postby Brace » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:34 am UTC

I need 2000 mg heroin for immediate personal consumption
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:35 am UTC

How about an internet hug? Will that help?

<3 {{Kilroy(ZTC)}} <3
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:39 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:I call it "the LGBTOMGWTFBBQ thread".
Lesbian, gay, transsexual,(or maybe Gender [What the fuck, Both]), Bemused, queer?

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:38 am UTC

Mumpy wrote:
Lesbian, gay, transsexual,(or maybe Gender [What the fuck, Both]), Bemused, queer?

think we need to be more accepting of the dyslexic in this safespace. that's a pretty big barrier :D
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Sourire

Postby Sourire » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:18 am UTC

Mumpy wrote:
Lesbian, bisexual, gay, transsexual,(or maybe Gender [What the fuck, Both]), Bedazzled, queer?

Two slight changes and I think this might be my favorite version of the alphabet soup yet.
Emi: Let the urge take you on a magic coaster ride of innuendo!

Kewangji: The universe is having an orgasm. Right now.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

Kilroy(ZTC) wrote:I need 2000 mg heroin for immediate personal consumption

Did something happen?

Or is it because of life sucking in general, this:?
Kilroy(ZTC) wrote:I haven't gone in to work once this week, even though I really need the money. I just can't handle it. I told myself I would use the time to search for a new job, but that hasn't been happening. Everything feels hopeless. I hear stories about people with degrees, graduate degrees in my field who can't find work. I don't even have my certificates yet. I don't have my certifications. And I look for advice, for someone to tell me what I can do to find a job, instead they just tell me there are no jobs, they tell me to look for food service or retail work which would literally be the same hell I'm dealing with now.
Spoiler:
My therapist moved to Canada while I was homeless, which I found out after my endocrinologist requested a follow up before she would do any more work with me, which led to me being strictly DIY for the past 8 months or so. I'm still losing hair. I can't afford to be aboveground on hormones. I made ~$3,000 last year. I can't even afford the dosages I'm on now. It's been a year since I started transition and I still don't know how to dress myself. I couldn't afford clothing if I did.
I don't know what to do. The whole point of starting this particular educational program was that I would be finished with it in under 2 years, and I thought I would be earning money sooner and thus be able to transition sooner. The thought of having to start an entirely separate 4 year program before having even a hope of finding work, of not being anatomically correct until I'm 30 or older... I don't know what to do.

That some people with degrees don't get a job doesn't have to mean you won't get one with just certificates. I also know people with master or master-equivalent degrees in areas for which there are jobs who didn't get jobs anyway - these are people who never held a job or even an internship in their lives. Then no company wanted to hire them. Having held any kind of job seems to be even more important than grades.
Also claims that there are no jobs are often false, just as many other claims that make the outlook for college graduates gloomy. For example in Germany the vast majority of students take significantly longer for the degree than what is the theoretical timeframe (computer science: 4.5 years officially, average 6.5 years). All the time students are told they need to hurry up and complete within the theoretical time or as close to it as possible and avoid anything that prolongs the studies, otherwise no employer will want to hire us. Similarly everybody says that it's not easy to get into the big companies, one should apply to many, also smaller ones, even with highly desired degrees like CS and with good grades. Well, what was the reality: I took 6 years and nobody ever even asked why I needed longer or mentioned it at all. And my one application to a big and good employer was successful. (I had one before I graduated for Google, which I did not get in ... but not due to taking too long. And one later with intelligence, which I did not get in for reasons they did not disclose, but I am certain it was not due to taking too long, as they knew that before I was there for the interview.) Similarly my former classmates from college told me that the time they needed for the degree was unimportant to prospect employers.
So I suggest to complete the certification, apply then and see how it goes, if this is possible (considering deadlines for applications for further studies or the like). Changes to get a job are probably not as low as people make it look right now. Also have a look at official job market studies published in career magazines to check out what the real job situation is for your area of study ... anecdotal evidence may be misleading.

In the meantime, while you are still getting the certificates or if you end up having to go to college for four more years (or maybe three? can your previous classes be considered so you can start as a sophomore?): Which options are there for getting what you need?
Are hormones or possibly SRS ever paid by Medicare/Medicaid/state-run programs and could you be covered by these? Or do you have insurance?
Is the main obstacle getting another psychiatrist who writes the necessary notes? Convincing yet another gatekeeper may suck severely, but I think it may suck less than not being able to pay for hormones.
Will you be able to get loans? Student loans?
Are there radically different options, like moving to a country with general health insurance and working or studying there? Canada? UK? (Can US citizens even work in the EU easily? I am not sure. Studying is definitely no problem.) I would say Germany as finding a job that pays more than 400€/month is sufficient to have full health insurance at about 7% of the income (which includes psychological care, hormones, surgery) and students get health insurance for 53€/month (if they earn 400€/month or less or nothing), but finding a psychiatrist who is supportive of transitioning AND willing to do the therapy in English is probably very hard.
Also consider setting up a ChipIn: http://www.chipin.com . Yeah, it's weird to ask for donations for something personal. But I have seen tons of trans men using it to collect money for their chest surgery, so why not do the same as trans woman for SRS, hormones, studying to get a better job to be able to pay for hormones yourself, or for just getting by.

*hugs* You are a strong woman and you can do this, one way or another. Hang in there.
Last edited by Monika on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

Sourire wrote:
Mumpy wrote:
Lesbian, bisexual, gay, transsexual,(or maybe Gender [What the fuck, Both]), Bedazzled, queer?

Two slight changes and I think this might be my favorite version of the alphabet soup yet.

Yes! thank you. I wrote the latter half of that in the weird part of the morning when everything seems like a good idea so thanks for picking out a better word for the last B.

(and for putting in the first, *facepalm*)

RainbowTwink
Location: I wish I was cool enough to tell you, but you aren't cool enough to know.

Postby RainbowTwink » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Spoilered for safespace-inappropriate
Spoiler:
I am gay. Very very femme though and honestly, I can't make sense of the "queer" stuff. Like once you get into "pansexuals", "bigender" and other stuff. I leave...It just gets too weird. Like gay culture is strange, but not that strange.

I am not hating. Just saying my perspective. I hope that's allowed.
I totally pulled a Brian Austin Green! Yo!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

Well, is there anything we can do to help make it seem less weird and strange? I know this thread has explained a lot of it, and it can be a little dizzying at first blush, but hopefully you're willing to learn more?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

RainbowTwink
Location: I wish I was cool enough to tell you, but you aren't cool enough to know.

Postby RainbowTwink » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Well, is there anything we can do to help make it seem less weird and strange? I know this thread has explained a lot of it, and it can be a little dizzying at first blush, but hopefully you're willing to learn more?

I like glittery, shiny stuff. Wait, aren't you JessicaSideways?
I totally pulled a Brian Austin Green! Yo!

Return to “General”