[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:35 am UTC

Pretty Aaeriele is pretty :3
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:42 am UTC

Oh god, Amber. I didn't watch the video when it was first posted. I thought I would be able to watch your CNN appearance. I didn't make it all the way through (though I did see your first comment. I didn't find out if you had more to say). I need to find a teddy bear and go bawl in a corner now.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:56 am UTC

That was so brave of you, going on television to speak out about it. Also, you have such a sweet voice :D
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:01 am UTC

(Considering poxic's reaction, I suppose my previous post might look a bit dismissive of the more substantive aspects of the interview. In reality, I just didn't have time to watch it, only to go "Oh wow nine minutes long" and click to a few different points to get a sense of what it was about. Nevertheless, to the extent that it's factually accurate, I stick by my previous claim.)
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:10 am UTC

poxic wrote:Oh god, Amber. I didn't watch the video when it was first posted. I thought I would be able to watch your CNN appearance. I didn't make it all the way through (though I did see your first comment. I didn't find out if you had more to say). I need to find a teddy bear and go bawl in a corner now.

Eeep. My bad, I forgot to add a trigger warning note for the CNN segment link. :s *hug*

For those who would prefer to watch just the segments where I'm speaking (so as to avoid some of the graphic footage/audio):

5:02 - 6:02 (has some portions of the video playing on the side)
8:40 - the end (does not have any of the graphic video)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:36 am UTC

Off topic:
I'm in love with your hair, Aaeriele <3 Gorgeous curls.

On topic:
You did very well. I don't think I would have been able to speak so clearly given the national audience and the general...aggressiveness of the presenter. I really liked your last comment (8:40) because you brought the issue to light without being accusatory or aggressive.

On the topic of me:
Thank you all for your support. It helps a lot to know that you're here for me. I talked to my parents when I got home. I was...rather disappointed. I spoke at great length about the tension, discomfort, depression, and pain I feel every day. I mentioned once that my academics were suffering. That's all we discussed. My grades. It was rather hurtful...

Unrelated to my gender identity but related to my mood right now: I was not asked to come back for my job next semester. This means I will not be able to move out in the fall. I'm quite disappointed by that. I was really excited to live on my own for the first time...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:36 am UTC

Thanks, Amber. I did like what you had to say. Not sensational, just honest. <3
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:23 am UTC

Seconding all compliments on hair and voice.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:24 am UTC

TIME FOR GOOD NEWS?
I'm not sure on the reliability of the source, but apparently 80% of straight, male, UK students have shared a kiss with another heterosexual male friend, and 100% said that there was nothing wrong with two men kissing.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:31 am UTC

Whelan wrote:TIME FOR GOOD NEWS?
I'm not sure on the reliability of the source, but apparently 80% of straight, male, UK students have shared a kiss with another heterosexual male friend, and 100% said that there was nothing wrong with two men kissing.

AWESOME. Though it does make me think I'm missing out. Sulk/cheer!
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

Kilroy(ZTC) wrote:Unfortunately, even though I applied for subsidized student loan, they gave me unsubsidized; I'm not sure what the conditions are regarding that, especially as it concerns paying it back... but whatever, debt for life was already on the agenda I suppose

You may have already figured this out/know this already, but the main difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans are that unsubsidized ones accrue interest while you are still in school. Pretty much as soon as you get it, interest starts building. The subsidized ones don't do that until after you graduate. As far as I know, paying them back works exactly the same. The interest is the only difference I'm aware of. It's sucky, but when you need the money, you need the money.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

Page late and a dollar bla bla, I have a link for a petition demanding that all McDonald employees present (but who did not do anything) be held accountable.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:This probably doesn't go here, but . . .

I'm starting to realize within the last few months or so that my family life is probably a lot worse than I think it is. For instance, that reply hanecter got turned my blood cold, like sheer terror coursing through my veins. I assume that's not a normal reaction. Which sucks, because that probably means that I'll have trouble communicating with people later in life, if innocuous things like laughing or short messages worded in certain ways make me terrified. Fuck.

[/off topic]

You have my sympathies. For what it's worth, even when family is sort of irretrievable, how you handle it and how it impacts your life can definitely get better over time. Also, though it takes work, you can overcome issues starting with weird family life impacting your relations with others.

So my offtopicness of the same vein here: growing up with my mom, who has had anxiety issues, depression, tends towards irrationality and had anger management problems, I realised later in life that I got out of childhood with the expectation that people in authority (regardless of the mood they presented or all previous actions with me) were likely to strike out at me, become angry with me, or punish me without any warning. It's been a long time since that realisation (about a decade), and I think I'm actually pretty much entirely past it now. Ditto my past expectation that when anyone's hand is near my face, they're going to smack me.

If at all possible, distance helps a lot in these situations. Also finding new role models. The first functional family I ever saw was when I was about 20, but it really helped me in realising that it's possible for families, even when there are issues, to respond rationally, and with empathy. Anyhow. What I guess I'm saying: no one chooses their family, so you don't always get the best pick, but you can choose who you surround yourself with later in life, and it can definitely help you grow as a person and become more emotionally healthy.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

One month past moving out, initiate emails with the mother. I hope this goes well.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

Wyvern wrote:One month past moving out, initiate emails with the mother. I hope this goes well.

*crosses fingers and wishes luck*
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

dragon wrote:
Whelan wrote:TIME FOR GOOD NEWS?

AWESOME. Though it does make me think I'm missing out. Sulk/cheer!

Haha that was my response exactly. Where are all my kisses damnit? I've only kissed a girl once, and that was just last year. She did happen to be wearing cherry chapstick, too.

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Although I detested the overall hyped up nature of the interview, you were very good Aaeriele! Although clearly you were too quiet for the host; she must have been used to people shouting. :)
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Brace

Postby Brace » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

gj Aaeriele

On a vaguely related (p much completely unrelated) note, I got permabanned from IGN boards for my response to a series of topics posted on the issue of the assault. So yeah, heads up, IGN boards = not TG friendly.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

Gamers not being TG friendly? Shocker...
*hugs*

It looks like I'll be switching psychiatrists. I haven't been happy with the current one for a long time (not since she diagnosed me with oppositional defiance disorder, ugh). She's never recommended anything for me besides medication. I've never brought up my gender questioning with her, but I have a feeling she'd just tell me it was cause I'm depressed and up my dosage of antidepressants. I'm looking for a trans friendly therapist that's covered by our insurance, as well.

Nordic Einar

Postby Nordic Einar » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

Aaeriele - absolutely fantastic. I'm really happy to see someone as articulate as you speaking on behave of our communities.

Spoilered for off-topic

Spoiler:
My (life changing? Career starting? At the very least college attending) move to D.C has just been put completely in jeopardy because the little shitstain brother of one of my potential roommates is threatening to out me to his parents (whom are paying a good chunk of the rent on the apartment me and the other three queers are staying in, one of which is their daughter) unless we come out.

Because he saw us cuddling last October for 5 minutes the move I was building my entire life on could be ruined. Even if it isn't, I doubt I'll be able to afford tuition and living expenses in D.C w/o the financial support his parents had offered us. I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do if I'm stuck in Michigan for another year, much less for the rest of my undergrad.

I could've interned with the feminist majority. I could've interned for the Feminist Majority, GetEqual or HRC. Fuck, one of my partners is good friends with the leadership of D.C Trans. I don't know what I'm going to do...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

Nordic, is there someone authoritative around that you can ask to reason with the shitstain? No one has the right to out another person, or force them to out themselves like that.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:44 am UTC

From a thread in the Music subforum...
One of my otaku friends showed my the music video to the revenant chior or whatever its called and it pissed me off that a cross dresser could shred that well. lol. I am very miffed by visual kei. The music isn't bad, and a lot of them can really play, but the culture its.......like if you took 80's hair metal and mixed it with the emo scene circa 2004 and added baroque.

I don't know why but this made me so upset that I'm shaking...I think it's because I really really want to cross dress...
(For background, I've been in and performed with several metal bands as a bass guitarist.)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:08 am UTC

hanecter wrote:I talked to my parents when I got home. I was...rather disappointed. I spoke at great length about the tension, discomfort, depression, and pain I feel every day. I mentioned once that my academics were suffering. That's all we discussed. My grades. It was rather hurtful...

I understand that this must be disappointing and hurtful *big hug*. But I still believe your parents try to be supporting. I bet the whole gender thing is entirely new to them. So when you briefly mention grades, it's like "There, familiar ground! Let's jump on that" for them (probably unconsiously).
Your parents sound like the kind that will benefit from reading the PFLAG material for parents of transgender children (children in the sense of offspring, not necessarily little kids). When they have a better understanding, they can then talk about this more easily and be more supporting ... which, apparently, they want to be. Right now they most likely don't have any idea what to say ... so they say nothing.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

hanecter wrote:From a thread in the Music subforum...
One of my otaku friends showed my the music video to the revenant chior or whatever its called and it pissed me off that a cross dresser could shred that well. lol. I am very miffed by visual kei. The music isn't bad, and a lot of them can really play, but the culture its.......like if you took 80's hair metal and mixed it with the emo scene circa 2004 and added baroque.

I don't know why but this made me so upset that I'm shaking...I think it's because I really really want to cross dress...
(For background, I've been in and performed with several metal bands as a bass guitarist.)

I found this as well, and it pissed me the hell off. Mainly because why the fuck should how someone dresses have anything to do with their ability to play an instrument? If I or some other bio male wants to put on a dress and rock the fuck out, my ability to do one should not be dependent on the other. Also because those bands are part of what put me on the path to being trans in the first place. Also, *hugs* for being brave enough to come out to your folks in the first place.

Aaeriele, congratulations for being on that show. I really liked what you had to say, and the way you kept calm even in the sensationalized atmosphere of the show. Plus, other folks are right about you being cute. :3
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

So...my partner and I wear pajamas for a night and trade them every once in a while. We can't stay the night together for the time being, she's had trouble with her roommate, so it's nice to smell the other person <3

First couple times, she gave me a baggy shirt. Last week she gave me a clearly feminine shirt...low cut, tight, with straps...and I was terrified of it. I hid it under a pile of my own clothes. Well...last night I took it out...and I decided I'd try it on. I feel guilty...but I wore it. My heart was pounding when I put it on, I was shaking. But it felt so good, and when I looked in the mirror, I loved it. I wore it all night, and I hated taking it off to get dressed for the day in the morning.

I'm so confused and lost.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

hanecter wrote:So...my partner and I wear pajamas for a night and trade them every once in a while. We can't stay the night together for the time being, she's had trouble with her roommate, so it's nice to smell the other person <3

First couple times, she gave me a baggy shirt. Last week she gave me a clearly feminine shirt...low cut, tight, with straps...and I was terrified of it. I hid it under a pile of my own clothes. Well...last night I took it out...and I decided I'd try it on. I feel guilty...but I wore it. My heart was pounding when I put it on, I was shaking. But it felt so good, and when I looked in the mirror, I loved it. I wore it all night, and I hated taking it off to get dressed for the day in the morning.

*hug*

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I need to stop. I hate that thread so much, and I can't stop myself from replying.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

*hug*

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:12 am UTC

=/

*hug*

AnnaArmour

Postby AnnaArmour » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:11 am UTC

Found this documentary about the Stonewall Riots, if anyone's interested. (trigger warning for idiocy and violence)
I wish this kind of information was taught in my history classes.

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

I enjoyed it a lot, thanks. The revelation that
Spoiler:
they used to lobotomize gay people who didn't respond to normal talk or aversion therapy
was certainly pretty horrifying, and frankly the fact that that could be readily omitted from history books that otherwise cover many of America's failings (treatment of Native Americans, slavery, segregation and racism etc) kind of drives home an unfortunate truth; but nevertheless GLB people have certainly come a long way since then.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

I have an urge to post, so I am going to introduce myself. I am straight, but am an ally to the LGBTAlphabet community, I go to Gay-Straight Alliance meetings and stuff.

anyways,

hanecter wrote:So...my partner and I wear pajamas for a night and trade them every once in a while. We can't stay the night together for the time being, she's had trouble with her roommate, so it's nice to smell the other person <3

first, *hugs*
second, I fucking love this idea, and am going to steal it.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:11 am UTC

It's wonderful :) They smell like my partner for a couple days...and then when we trade back, my pajamas smell like her.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:21 am UTC

Went to a drag show tonight with a friend of mine who identifies as male. Sooooo fun. A couple of the professional queens were actually trans women, and it was really inspiring to see them and then talk to them afterwards.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun May 01, 2011 6:24 am UTC

I interacted with a trans woman on the IRC -q channel and I like her a lot. She likes me too! I have never felt this way before! :D
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Mon May 02, 2011 12:24 am UTC

Just the Facts ... Ma'am?

A 50-year-old male pharmacist in Colorado who wants to go to work dressed as a woman has filed a discrimination complaint against his employer because the company told him he couldn't, reports the Denver Post.

Kim Dower, who has worked at King Soopers pharmacy as a man for nine years, said he is undergoing gender transformation and wants to wear the garb of his target gender.

He has filed a complaint with the local office of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

An editors note at the bottom of the story says that in cases of gender transition, The Denver Post uses the preferred gender in its use of pronouns. We here at TongueTied prefer to stick to the facts.

For more doses of Basically Decent nuttiness, head on over the TongueTied daily edition.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125315,00.html

My day REALLY did not need to get worse...

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Classy.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Van

Postby Van » Mon May 02, 2011 12:38 am UTC

As messed up as that is, it's very old. I know her, and she went to court vs King Soopers (I also work for them :D) and won several years back.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Mon May 02, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Huh. It popped up as a related story to one that I was linked to that was written yesterday.

Weird.

Glad it turned out well though.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon May 02, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

"prefer to stick to the facts"? Fuck off...

Fact: the AP style guide specifically states that the preferred gender is the correct one to use, and in case they can't state their preference, then the one which is being presented.

Fact: Calling a trans woman "he" after being corrected is an assholish thing to do, as well as quite bigoted. Calling a trans woman a man wanting to dress as a woman is extremely bigoted.

Fact: I hope you can't reproduce, article writer.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Return to “General”