[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Carlington

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Carlington » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:26 am UTC

[redacted], that's great to hear! It's nice to know that there are some places that are actually capable of handling a situation like this properly and effectively.
Azrael, that's really exciting news! I hope everything turns out just the way you want it to.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:03 am UTC

I saw this on r/transgender, and thought I'd share it with the rest of you:
Jennifer Pritzker Becomes First Transgender Billionaire

And just a quick update from me: been on HRT for a month now ^.^ Not noticed any physical changes, but I'm sure that will come in time
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

Becani

Postby Becani » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:56 am UTC

So y'all may have hard about the unpleasantness in Russia. Well, for the Olympics, what the Germans chose for their country's uniforms... was rainbows! :D

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

On track to a B in Calculus 2, A's in my other classes
Scheduled my first electrolysis appointment
Procured a kilo of 2-4 dinitrophenol

Things are going fairly well at the moment.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Brace wrote:On track to a B in Calculus 2, A's in my other classes

Good job with school. What's the chemical for?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

Good to hear.

What are you trying to blow up though?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

It's for weight loss. I didn't actually need a kilo but it was the smallest amount I could acquire.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

You probably already know this, but I want to point out that there are DNP is potentially extremely dangerous as a dieting aid and does kill people when taken in too large a dose or without proper precautions (and thus actually receiving far more DNP than thought). In case its dangers are not enough to dissuade you, I will also say that tolerance for it varies greatly and that therefore you should slowly build your dose from a very low level and that if you show any signs of pushing your tolerance (for instance a raised temperature) you should immediately stop.

I am not a doctor, all of this information has come from easily searchable sources, I am just concerned.
Last edited by eSOANEM on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Monika wrote:

Good to hear.

What are you trying to blow up though?

you never know, it could be for photo development.

edit: i agree with the above as well, sounds risky as heck.

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

I thought about coming out to my mother the other day-it was National Coming Out day. I did not. It would cause too many arguments with her that I don't think are necessary, and it isn't like my sexuality is a huge part of my life. I am dating a dude, and my sex habits are none of her business, anyway. I think it would be necessary if I were dating a woman, but I'm not.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Whatever works for you.

Teagirl

Postby Teagirl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Hi all! I was brought to this forum, specifically this thread, by a friend of mine! I'm a 24 year old trans woman! I've been on HRT since October 1st, 2012, and I started injectable estrogen yesterday, which btw is awesome and I am extremely happy about it. I'm really big into queer studies and I consider myself a radical feminist. I love video games and chillin' with my GF. It's a pleasure to meet all of you. <3

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Hi Teagirl! Welcome. :)

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:55 am UTC

Welcome, Teagirl! Hope everything continues to go smoothly for you ^_^
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:You probably already know this, but I want to point out that there are DNP is potentially extremely dangerous as a dieting aid and does kill people when taken in too large a dose or without proper precautions (and thus actually receiving far more DNP than thought). In case its dangers are not enough to dissuade you, I will also say that tolerance for it varies greatly and that therefore you should slowly build your dose from a very low level and that if you show any signs of pushing your tolerance (for instance a raised temperature) you should immediately stop.

I am not a doctor, all of this information has come from easily searchable sources, I am just concerned.

Yes. Please be very careful. There's a reason this is no longer an official tool for dieting.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Brace

Postby Brace » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Edit: Update: It was sent to a different wrong address, I got it, opened it up, capped some of it (between 0.1 and 0.3 grams because my scale was wonky), and took it. I need a new scale. We'll see how this works.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

Definitely get a new scale. This is not stuff you want to accidentally take too much of. I don't know how much you weigh, but as little as 20mg/kg can be lethal. I seriously think you should reconsider taking this, particularly because you don't have a scale which measures accurately enough to ensure you only take a safe dose.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Brace

Postby Brace » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

I'm good. I can figure out an upper bound on how much I'm taking using the volume of the capsule and the density of the chemical so it's not like I'm risking taking between the amount shown on the scale and infinity milligrams of the stuff. I'll get a new scale at some point. It seems the amount was closer to 100mg than to the 400mg that would have been my upper bound, I heated up mildly as it burned through my glycogen stores but after that my temperature was negligibly different from normal. Will continue taking the same dose for the next couple of days to make sure and then increase slightly from there.

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 am UTC

I've not got any new updates on my condition, but I found this webcomic called Rain, the main protagonist of which is a transgender school girl; there are other gender and sexual minority supporting characters too. I should probably say 'trigger warning', because there is some transphobic and homophobic bullying, but I thought people here might enjoy the read, even if it does become difficult at times.

Apart from that, I hope everyone else here is well.
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

I'll second the suggestion for Rain. It's quite good.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

Every once in a while, I think "hey I'll write something about what's going on in the asexy community" and then I think "meh, boring" and don't do it. :?

So we had another local AVEN meetup yesterday. A roughly-average showing of four people, two of which I hadn't met before. We had coffee and pastries at a cafe inside an art gallery, which was cool.

One woman said she finally saw the asexuality movie (as we refer to it). During the first half, she was thinking "I'll totally get my mom to see this." Not so much after the second half. It seems David Jay went through a transition from aromantic1 to at least somewhat romantic2 during the filming of the movie. The woman at the meetup was worried that her mom would think she would go through a similar transition. She did not want to go through (even more) years of "so have you found anyone yet?"

Then we went back to talking about shoes, scarves, books, movies, work, and school. Y'know, the usual.

1 Not romantically (emotionally) attracted to people, not wanting a romantic relationship. Separate from sexual attraction.
2 Emotionally attracted to people, wanting a romantic relationship.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

hi.

I've been lurking here for a while, but felt much too nervous to post here because I couldn't find the right words to fit me.
I am existential_squirrrel and I'm asexual, and either a-gendered or possibly trans* (FtM). I'm terribly uncomfortable in my own skin, so I'd like to transition and find ways to help myself feel more comfortable.

(Oh me yarm did I really just post that?)
(I did, and I'm glad I did)
(EEK)
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

*asexual-possibly-agender-5*
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Welcome, existential_squirrel!

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the choice of words to fit/describe yourself - they can be useful in thinking about and searching for your own identity, and they can be a useful shorthand for description, but ultimately the labels are descriptive, not prescriptive. You probably won't perfectly fit a given set of labels you find, and that's okay! You're your own person, and no set of labels is likely to perfectly describe/define you - just work towards whatever winds up feeling most comfortable and right for you, and if it doesn't perfectly sync up with any sort of "accepted" definitions, that's quite alright. :) (Of course, there's nothing wrong if a label *does* seem to fit perfectly, either!)

Best of luck with your transition/finding a way to feel more comfortable, and there's always e-hugs available if desired! :)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel wrote:hi.

I've been lurking here for a while, but felt much too nervous to post here because I couldn't find the right words to fit me.
I am existential_squirrrel and I'm asexual, and either a-gendered or possibly trans* (FtM). I'm terribly uncomfortable in my own skin, so I'd like to transition and find ways to help myself feel more comfortable.

(O.M.G. did I really just post that?)
(I did, and I'm glad I did)
(EEK)

Hi squirrel :) Welcome to the thread! *offers hugs, if desired*

Good luck with your body-adjustment-plan!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:48 am UTC

Look at this pic <3 Image

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 am UTC

I just heard that Lou Reed, writer of LGBT "anthems" Sweet Jane and Walk on the Wild Side, has passed away. :(

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

You'd think HR would not suck so bad at pronouns. Ugh. I've been having an unfortunately crappy time in general, and that did not help.

I should be able to take solace in the fact that it's got less to do with my appearance than the fact that I've been changing names and stuff so the rep knows stuff, but it is quite sucky.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Would you all say that "gender nonconforming" and "gender variant" are the same things or does this mean different things?
I understand both to be mean that the gender presentation and gender expression does not fit with what the society considers as typical or appropriate for people of that gender identity. But I'm not sure.
Also, are crossdressers a subgroup of GNC/gender variant people? What are non-crossdressing GNC/gender variant people?

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Crossdressers are definitely not a homogenous group (though you probably already knew that).
At one point, I identified as a crossdresser, but not as gender non-comforming/ gender variant.
Nowadays, I still identify as a crossdresser, but think that I am also somewhere in the GNC/ Gender variant spectrum. Still figuring out where, though.

flickering_candle

Postby flickering_candle » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:32 am UTC

Monika wrote:Would you all say that "gender nonconforming" and "gender variant" are the same things or does this mean different things?
I understand both to be mean that the gender presentation and gender expression does not fit with what the society considers as typical or appropriate for people of that gender identity. But I'm not sure.
What are non-crossdressing GNC/gender variant people?

Gender conformity includes things other than clothing; that is just the most obvious and cruel aspect of it. Language use, posture, emotional expressiveness, body language, and more all have ranges identified by a culture as conforming to a particular gender. As a simple example, when I was young I used to cross my legs at the knee frequently (still do, although not usually in public). A friend of mine, however, was quite alarmed at this behavior, which he saw as being restricted to girls only, and was physical in his efforts to get me to stop doing it. At the time, however, I had not yet experimented with crossdressing, and still do not identify myself as a crossdresser-- for me personally I see my clothing choice as an expression of my gender rather than anything else, so the crossdressing label does not feel right for me.

With regard to GNC vs. gender variant, I think most people use them more or less interchangably in general, although I'm sure there are people who identify as one but not the other. GNC seems to feel more on the presentation rather than the identity side (as opposed to gender variant), but I would understand a person perfectly well if they described their identity as being GNC.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Thanks!

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

I think that gender non-conforming can apply to specific behaviors and appearances (can be an adjective modifying many nouns that are not people), while gender variant is more exclusively an identity. Gender non-conforming is also an identity, but it is much more than an identity and more than a description of a whole person.

My own personal identity is not gender variant: it's extremely striking how well my gender assigned at birth fits me. It's comfortable, it works for me, I have no desire to change it. On the other hand, I often do not conform to gender expectations of my appearance: I am a woman who shaves my head, and often sports a what looks like a buzz cut. Strangers fairly regularly use male pronouns to me, and people not being socially acceptable (children, people begging for money) sometimes ask me what gender I am. I usually do not answer them, and I am very happy to have confused everyone. So I have gender non-conforming hair and a bit of a gender non-conforming wardrobe, but I don't think of myself as gender variant. My own gender is pretty damn boring and common. It's just my hair style that is weird, and gender non-conforming. If someone said I have gender variant hair, I would agree with them, but I would process the question a bit more slowly and might comment that that's a somewhat strange way to say it. If someone said I have gender non-conforming hair I'd smile broadly and say "Hell, yes!" The phrase I usually use myself, for my hair, is "gender transgressive."

(Here are pictures of my recent hair lengths, after a long explanation of why I shave my head. In these pictures I look very female, because I'm wearing just an undershirt, and my breasts show. It's when I'm wearing a reasonable number of layers that people get confused about my gender or think that I'm male.)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

So when gendervariant is used as a gender identity, is it the same as genderqueer?

Brace

Postby Brace » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:23 am UTC

I have until Tuesday to study for my third Calc 2 exam.
Trigger warning
Spoiler:
I spent all day unable to move except for a period of time where I cut myself repeatedly. I genuinely can't summon the energy to continue existing anymore.
Last edited by Angua on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added spoiler

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

@[redacted]: It sounds nice that you figured out something about your gender and body :) .

@Brace: :( *offers hugs*

Brace

Postby Brace » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:58 am UTC

*hugs*

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:15 am UTC

It just occurred to me that I've been having orgasmic anhedonia for like the last two years. Which.. it's long enough back that I can't remember what I was on. Spiro and finasteride are possibly related.

Has anyone else started these or anything else and then suffered a loss of pleasure during orgasm? This is something that, while I've been living with it, it only just now occurred to me that hey, maybe this is worth addressing.

I have an appointment with my doctor in a month or so, I'm gonna bring it up then. In the meantime though, I'm curious if this is a common thing or not.

Spoiler for extraneous possible TMI explanation:

Spoiler:
I basically, at some point, lost the awesome feeling orgasms used to have. I know I'm having them, and the motions and reactions are exactly the same, it just doesn't feel good like it used to. The weird thing is, estrogen has made it change and for a while, slightly better, but I'm sorta back to where I began.

Or, where I was after it started. The not so fun place.

The weirdest thing is that I had a sexual dream the other week that was downright amazing, and I woke up twitching and with jolts running along my body. My arms felt funny for an hour. Yet when I'm awake, nothing =/

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:It just occurred to me that I've been having orgasmic anhedonia for like the last two years. Which.. it's long enough back that I can't remember what I was on. Spiro and finasteride are possibly related.

Has anyone else started these or anything else and then suffered a loss of pleasure during orgasm? This is something that, while I've been living with it, it only just now occurred to me that hey, maybe this is worth addressing.

I have an appointment with my doctor in a month or so, I'm gonna bring it up then. In the meantime though, I'm curious if this is a common thing or not.

Spoiler for extraneous possible TMI explanation:

Spoiler:
I basically, at some point, lost the awesome feeling orgasms used to have. I know I'm having them, and the motions and reactions are exactly the same, it just doesn't feel good like it used to. The weird thing is, estrogen has made it change and for a while, slightly better, but I'm sorta back to where I began.

Or, where I was after it started. The not so fun place.

The weirdest thing is that I had a sexual dream the other week that was downright amazing, and I woke up twitching and with jolts running along my body. My arms felt funny for an hour. Yet when I'm awake, nothing =/

can't say i have any PERSONAL experience with it, however i have heard in some cases altering estrogen levels will do that to an extent, and thats one of the effects of spiro. a proper physician would know more however, possibly with some blood testing.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Question: outside of troll blogs, is there actually such a thing as 'pan-gender', to complement the pan-sexual / pan-what-have-yous that the other spectrums enjoy?

Return to “General”