[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HugsBoson

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby HugsBoson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by HugsBoson on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:41 pm UTC

HugsBoson wrote:hello I am wearing a skirt today

Pretty :)

And belated happy birthday, Shivahn!
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

Aww, thanks everyone!

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:53 am UTC

I think I did really well on my trig final. I'd say a 70% chance of an A and a 30% chance of a B.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:45 am UTC

Thank you all for your kind words, and especially Virtual_Aardvark for your more than generous offer. I'm so glad that I found this thread & forum, and that it's populated by all of you ♥

I've been away for a bit because I had to send my computer in for repairs (ODD wouldn't register that there were discs inside, touchpad either wouldn't register fingers or imagine that there were fingers that weren't there, and the entire thing idled at 75 degrees); thank heavens for 2yr warranty. I went to a doctor who referred me to an endo, and they should be phoning me within a week to book an appointment, so all things going well I should be starting HRT in January.

Also, got my results back from uni — I now have a Bachelor of Science with double-majors in physics & theoretical physics and first-class Honours. Here's hoping I get a PhD placement, and then everything will be running smoothly in my life.

In short; happy mood for me, and I wanted to share it with all of you! *Hugs all-round, except for people who don't like hugs, so they get their choice of e-cookies or e-scones*

To catch up on what I missed, and apologies for the delay: congratulations on your talk with your mother, Becani; welcome to the thread, Carlington; happy birthday Shiv; you look wonderful in that, HugsBoson, it really compliments you; congratulations on finishing trig, Brace, I hope your marks turn out even better than you hope ^.^

Problem with a good mood is that I never stop talking, so I'm truncating my post here so I don't ramble.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Love you all,
Tash
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:12 am UTC

MULTIPLE WOOTS FOR TASH
<3
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:24 am UTC

Congrats, Natasha and probable congrats Brace :-)

Becani

Postby Becani » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

HugsBoson wrote:hello I am wearing a skirt today

you are very, very pretty. <3

Brace

Postby Brace » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

Confirming A in trig. 98% on final, either for putting an answer down with the wrong number of decimal places, forgetting a negative sign, or not showing enough work, I'm guessing.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

The sign error: The natural enemy of the [mathematician|math student].

Brace

Postby Brace » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:34 am UTC

First three degrees completed.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:13 pm UTC

Congrats! <3

Brace

Postby Brace » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:35 am UTC

Thanks ;3

Oh, btw, my trig test errors. One was writing pi/4 * k(pi/2) instead of pi/4 + k(pi/2). Another was entering a number incorrectly in a calculator, so that it was off by 1 and the subsequent calculation was wrong.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

Brace wrote:Thanks ;3

Oh, btw, my trig test errors. One was writing pi/4 * k(pi/2) instead of pi/4 + k(pi/2). Another was entering a number incorrectly in a calculator, so that it was off by 1 and the subsequent calculation was wrong.

In other words, nothing directly related to issues understanding math concepts. Great job!
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

XJ_0

Postby XJ_0 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

Spoiled for rage and upset.
Spoiler:
Bad news: Our town in NH is pretty fucked up with its understanding of how to treat trans people. The only endocrinologist (because for some reason only an endocrinologist, and not a PCP or nurse practitioner, can prescribe hormones >:c) that would prescribe them won't because of some arbitrary reason they set up (they don't see the point in prescribing hormones to anyone that doesn't have a surgery date :evil: ), and now it's becoming impossible to get Becani's hormones. ;_;

The trans woman PCP is fucked up in her understanding of mental health, and threatened to take them away because she kept blaming her mental health on her hormones.

I'm so frustrated. I want to cry. p_q

Oh, wanted to add: No cis person we talk to seems to understand the difference between an orchiectomy (removal of the testicles) and SRS. =_=; *Sigh* Because, if they code it correctly, she could get an orchiectomy, just not SRS, which NH doesn't believe in. :evil:

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:09 am UTC

That's so fucked up.

Becani

Postby Becani » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

yes. yes it is.

I am feeling less than happy dealing with all of this. I just want it to go away.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:10 am UTC

[redacted] wrote:I seem to be having terrible luck with girls. The first one asked her boyfriend if they could be poly and he said no. The second happened to be another transgirl. The story of how we found out we were both trans was amusing. We were cuddling and I was talking about trans stuff to someone else and she told her story to add to the conversation and I said something along the lines of "I didn't know you were trans" and she replied with "I didn't know you were either" and it amused everyone around us. Unfortunately, she doesn't like her penis and is going back towards being asexual. Last night, I found Marisa who was very very interested in me and would have made an amazing sub. The only problem was that she's dropping out and is on a plane leaving San Diego right now. I spent 2 hours texting her this morning so hopefully she will still become a good friend.

*offers hugs*

Otherwise, I think I've decided that at least for the foreseeable future, I'm going to identify as non op. I was reluctant to because I've ready so many stories of girls feeling neutral towards their penis then being unhappy with it then outright hating it as their transition continued.

If your feelings towards your penis changes at some point, then just change the plan. No reason to plan for a major surgery now just in case you might get dysphoric at some point.

XJ_0

Postby XJ_0 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

[redacted] wrote:You're a stronger person than me Becani. In that situation, I would have ordered hormones online very quickly rather than tolerate ignorant bullshit.

The problem with this is that she needs a prescription in order to be given them when she's in the hospital (psych ward). We can't guarantee that she'll remain out of the hospital. v_v

Becani

Postby Becani » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 am UTC

It's happened before. It got to the point where I was safer at home where I could take my hormones than in the hospital, so I got out as soon as I could. If you're there voluntary, (I was) you could get out, but you had to wait a day. Paperwork and stuff.

I've been on HRT for well over 2 years. I'm pissed that I still have to jump through hoops and shit just to keep going.

Psych wards are nothing new. I've been in a lot.

XJ_0

Postby XJ_0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

I don't know why they don't write hormone prescriptions at the hospital. I think someone said that they didn't want to risk their license for this. p_q

Her therapist said that insurance doesn't cover surgeries because they want to pay as little as possible, and don't realize that these surgeries would be saving them money in the long run.

Becani

Postby Becani » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:20 pm UTC

Basically, it's what XJ_0 said. Basically every doc we talk to says they're not going to risk their medical license, and then when you ask to be referred to someone who is willing to prescribe hormones, they come up blank. "There isn't anyone" they say. Real fucking helpful. makes me want to strangle someone.

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

holy crap I just called someone out for misogyny and they apologized and removed ALL of their offending posts. when does that ever happen I don't even

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:09 am UTC

Wow, cool!

- - -

I called someone out today on the local hackerspace's IRC channel not to use the word "toddler" and generally leave racist, sexist and homophobic 4chan memes in 4chan, and at first this went well, the person agreed immediately not to use "fag" anymore.
Then someone else stepped up offended about that I did not specify that it's only 4chan /b/ that is that way, and saying that I ignorantly say bad things about a whole internet community. (I had said that 4chan aims for maximum offensiveness, while it's only 4chan /b/ with that goal.)
Nice to know they step up to defend oppressed people against discrimination :P .

Last week I had objected to the use of a button labeled "Do it, faggot!" on the mailing list of the very same hackerspace. This did not go well. Most people complained about that I wrote about it publicly on the mailinglist instead of fixing the software myself or talking to the coder. Never mind a minimum of 10 people had used it and ignored the homophobic slur. Also many said it was only a joke and only a meme and this legitimizes it (yep, one person actually said this legitimizes it and brought up in the same sentence that "Tits or GTFO" is legitimate for the same reason.) The actual coder agreed that the button was not good, but has so far not produced a new version. I tried but I have problems with the dependencies (a huge bunch of jars), and they also want it to be uploaded to github, which makes sense, but one would not upload the jars I think, but define them as dependencies in a maven pom.xml ... it's getting tricky.

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:01 pm UTC

I can't believe how insecure I am. It's been an hour since my friends have stopped talking to me on MSN / Skype /fb, and I can't stop myself wondering 'what did I do wrong?'
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

Brace

Postby Brace » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:01 pm UTC

Officially switched to injectable estrogen today. It is painful but will be cheaper, more convenient, and allegedly more effective in the long run (the main reason I'm switching).

sambot5

Postby sambot5 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 am UTC

Brace wrote:Officially switched to injectable estrogen today. It is painful but will be cheaper, more convenient, and allegedly more effective in the long run (the main reason I'm switching).

I've always wondered about pill/oral hormones versus injections. Is one form more preferred over the other?
"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma." -Patrick Star

Brace

Postby Brace » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:57 am UTC

Pills are the standard I think, due to ease of administration and general effectiveness. They weren't working for me though. My body is apparently uniquely stupid. Oral estrogen has to be processed in the liver, which leaves room for variance based on personal physiology, and which results in fluctuations in levels. Injections are more steady. You inject into muscle and the body draws it out over time. Plus there's no extra step involved in allowing your body to process them like the liver metabolizing. Normally injections are more expensive because you're technically supposed to have a doctor do it, or at least monitor you at a higher frequency than with oral. I have a high risk tolerance at this point though, just a low budget. Another benefit to injections is that you only have to get them once a week at most, sometimes less than half that, which means fewer pills to cart around/take. That's about all I know about the subject. Mostly I just know that I had to do something, since my current regiment wasn't working.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:07 am UTC

sambot5 wrote:
Brace wrote:Officially switched to injectable estrogen today. It is painful but will be cheaper, more convenient, and allegedly more effective in the long run (the main reason I'm switching).

I've always wondered about pill/oral hormones versus injections. Is one form more preferred over the other?

Pills are easier, but the liver processing can lead to nasty stuff. There are other forms, I'd assume the actual preferred form depends on the doctor.

My doctor has said that, if I choose to take estrogen, she prefers to administer an under-the-tongue formulation that bypasses the liver. Basically an injection through a capillary bed.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:33 am UTC

Bypassing the liver is a Good Idea. Not only does the liver degrade the E, meaning you need to take more of it to get the same effect, processing the E puts an extra load on the liver which isn't very good for it, but the actual effects on the liver depends on the person's biochemistry and the general health of the liver.

Note: I Am Not A Doctor.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:41 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:My doctor has said that, if I choose to take estrogen, she prefers to administer an under-the-tongue formulation that bypasses the liver. Basically an injection through a capillary bed.

Regular estradiol tabs can be taken sublingually. It helps that they taste good.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

Estrogen is delicious? This changes my calculations entirely!

Mmm, lady candy

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:Mmm, lady candy

must ... not ... sig ...
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:37 am UTC

Fem&Ms!
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Becani

Postby Becani » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 am UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:Fem&Ms!

:D

Thanks for the laugh ^_^

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:51 am UTC

I want to make a joke, but I can't possibly top that. That's hilarious :P

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 am UTC

I feel so incredibly betrayed. After being stonewalled by doctors, I finally found one who referred me to an endocrinologist. He told me they'd phone me in within about three weeks to organise an appointment date and time. Five weeks later I try to contact the hospital to find out what's happening and guess what? They don't even have an endocrinology department. So I've wasted another month of my life waiting in false hope of getting HRT, right at the point where it becomes increasingly less effective :cry:

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Where you live, is it possible to order hormones on line? In contrast to testosterone estrogen is usually not a controlled substance so it may be possible. Of course it's safer to do it with a doctor, but if they keep delaying you ...

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

My sister just called me and told me that her "boyfriend" of about 8 years and former university classmate of mine is a trans woman. She has started "real life experience" (which the psychologist says is required) the week before Christmas and she has picked a female name.

Brace

Postby Brace » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Seems to imply that said university does a terrible job assuaging the insecurities of repressed transwomen.

Return to “General”