Pens (and now pencils, too)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

asad137

Re: Pens (and now pencils, too)

Postby asad137 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

I hate using pencils. It kind of makes my skin crawl, like a less-intense version of nails on a chalkboard. Mechanical pencils are a little better, but...give me a pen, any day of the week.

Asad

Xaiv

Postby Xaiv » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

I once had this pen that my friend gave me. It was one of the best ballpoint pens I've ever used.

You see, this pen had a grip on it that really cushioned your fingers whereas pens and pencils just have that bare space that can hurt your fingers if you grip it too long. The ink flowed from it smoothly, no blots. It was extraordinary to write with, the quality of the writing seemed to almost make my thoughts come out faster and clearer as well; I didn't have to worry about my handwriting looking unintelligible, I was focused on writing. The pen had a considerable amount of ink as well. Ran me for one or two months. It was a sad day when that pen died, though . . A sad day indeed.

And pencils are pencils, they're just as good as pens.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:03 am UTC

this reminds me of a joke: So on one of the early spaceflights, an American astronaut discovered that your average ballpoint pen doesn't work in space. So the US government spent millions of dollars and several years on the problem until they had a pen that write upside down, underwater, in space, on any surface, etc. The Russians just used pencils.

Mous

Postby Mous » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:50 am UTC

I don't often use pens, just because I have a problem with not lifting them off the paper much between letters, and with a pen it just results in a big streak of nothing. Also because I like ones that write smooth, and you don't have to press hard at all, and most of the kind like that leak through the paper.

But I do have a thing for pencils. Especially those mechanical ones with the twisty erasers. They're so useful! But I've never bought any for myself, I've always just stolen them from other people. Ha.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:13 am UTC

rath358 wrote:this reminds me of a joke: So on one of the early spaceflights, an American astronaut discovered that your average ballpoint pen doesn't work in space. So the US government spent millions of dollars and several years on the problem until they had a pen that write upside down, underwater, in space, on any surface, etc. The Russians just used pencils.

False on all counts. The pressurized pen was developed by a private company and sold to NASA at cost as advertising for their target market: the Air Force. And the Soviet astronauts never used pencils because of the risk of graphite flakes shorting something out. Instead, they used grease pencils.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:Soviet astronauts
Oxymoron. They're cosmonauts.
/pedantry
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

reishka

Postby reishka » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:16 am UTC

Let's see... currently in my pencil bag I have...

Pencils
x1 0.5 Pentel GraphGear 500
x1 0.5 Pilot Opt (Black) - Shaker
x1 0.5 Uni AlphaGel (Blue) - Shaker
x1 0.7 Paper Mate Clearpoint (Purple)

Pens
x7 0.5 Uniball Vision Elite (Black, Red, Pink, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple)
x2 0.7 Foray Tungsten Carbide Retractable Ballpoint Pen (Blue)

Highlighters
x2 Accent Generation (green, yellow)

I am in lovelovelove with the Uni AlphaGel. It's just so fantastic to write with. The only downside is that it might be a little TOO squishy, so any extended amounts of writing (like.. 2 hours or so) and I don't feel like I have a fantastic grip on it anymore.

Poopraham Lincoln

Re: Pens

Postby Poopraham Lincoln » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:17 am UTC

Am I the only one here who uses Zebras? I've never seen a gel pen I liked, and these are the classiest pens available at WalMart. The steel barrel is awesome. The pen is nigh indestructible. I haven't seen a 701 anywhere, but I am intrigued.
Also, does anyone else constantly rotate their pencil when writing, to keep a uniform point?

Mous

Postby Mous » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Poopraham Lincoln wrote:Am I the only one here who uses Zebras? I've never seen a gel pen I liked, and these are the classiest pens available at WalMart. The steel barrel is awesome. The pen is nigh indestructible. I haven't seen a 701 anywhere, but I am intrigued.
Also, does anyone else constantly rotate their pencil when writing, to keep a uniform point?

I do rotate my pencils. I hate have a weird fucked up point.

And those pens are so pretty... shiny...
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 am UTC

I love using pencils, and I love Mirado Black Warriors. They write well, have great erasers, and smell good when they're freshly sharpened.

For pens I just use cheap Bic round stic Grip, fine points. They write surprisingly well, for what they cost, and they're cheap. I buy a few packs at a time, lose them one by one, then go and buy some more.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 am UTC

Poopraham Lincoln wrote:Also, does anyone else constantly rotate their pencil when writing, to keep a uniform point?

Picked up the habit in a mechanical drawing class, where you need to do it to maintain a constant line.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Poopraham Lincoln wrote:Am I the only one here who uses Zebras? I've never seen a gel pen I liked, and these are the classiest pens available at WalMart. The steel barrel is awesome. The pen is nigh indestructible. I haven't seen a 701 anywhere, but I am intrigued.

My sister (who also likes a good pen) got some of those recently, they look cool and write just as well, so I may get myself some soon. And yes, I rotate pencils when I write. My violin teacher doesn't, she says she likes it when the tip gets all blunt and it makes a big fat line… yech, that's so imprecise and yucky-feeling to write with. Yet another reason why I usually prefer pens. Pens always have the same size line, and you can pick what size you want.

With a pencil, there's maintenance work involved in keeping the correct size. Mechanical pencils are (with the exception of those pretty Pentel ones mentioned here) almost always made of plastic and break easily, and the lead always gets jammed for me. I had some really neat ones where there was a mechanism that automatically advanced the lead as you wrote, so that you didn't have to stop and click it, but they got jammed in time and to this day I cannot get that jammed lead out.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Paper mate Sharpwriter #2
Bic Crystal - Black
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

reishka

Postby reishka » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:18 am UTC

I used to use zebras almost religiously about 8 years ago. I don't remember why I stopped using them. But I do remember absolutely loving them. I also don't remember which model I had.

dalahäst wrote:With a pencil, there's maintenance work involved in keeping the correct size. Mechanical pencils are (with the exception of those pretty Pentel ones mentioned here) almost always made of plastic and break easily, and the lead always gets jammed for me. I had some really neat ones where there was a mechanism that automatically advanced the lead as you wrote, so that you didn't have to stop and click it, but they got jammed in time and to this day I cannot get that jammed lead out.

Dala, you should check out Ohto's Promecha line of pencils, to address the plastic barrel issue. Ohto's Promecha's have an all-metal barrel. Also, they have a wide range of sizes - from 0.9 to 0.3. If keeping a point is usually hard for you, maybe you should try writing with an 0.4 or 0.3 lead size instead of something larger.

CivilDefense700

Postby CivilDefense700 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:43 am UTC

No fountain pen users? I just started writing with one this year and found it drastically improves the comfort and makes my writing look a little more presentable. After picking a few up an experimenting I found the one that works for me well, a Sheaffer Touchdown from the 50's.
http://www.vintagepens.com/Sheaffer_Touchdown_Snorkel.shtml
It requires virtually no pressure and the ink lubricates the nib as it goes across the paper. I even make my own ink instead of buying commercial fountain pen ink. And the nib is made of Osmium-Iridium alloy, it will last for decades more without wear!
I also found a nice Bakelite mechanical pencil that's about 60 years old. It fits my hand well, but takes odd english size lead instead of metric, I had to find a few boxes of the leads at an antique shop to be sure I had a supply stockpiled.
I even occasionally break out a goose quill and a bottle of homemade iron gall ink to write notes.

How about how you all hold your pens and pencils? I was fooling around in class with my pencil about a year ago and discovered it felt alot more comfortable if I held it between my pointer and middle finger instead of letting it lay between the thumb and pointer. Anyone else do this? I've had a professor comment it looks like I'd be in pain holding it.
Last edited by CivilDefense700 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I happen to have access to one of the sexiest lasers on the eastern seaboard."

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:46 am UTC

I crunch up my index finger against the pencil. Horrible for your hand, but every other way seems weird to me.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:14 am UTC

Last term grabbed myself some fine point gel pens, and have been loving them. It's so nice having a pen the smoothly creates a solid jet black line. With other pens I always felt like I had to press so hard just to get it to look right. I just hope I can avoid losing this thing. Oh well, $3....and so far, so good.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Yes, now we just need the pens to cost 1¢. Without changing anything else.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:03 am UTC

Let's see...
I currently have in my pockets:
1 black ballpoint, Papermate.
Same as above, only in blue.
Large black ballpoint Navy promo pen. I keep 7 of them in my desk, as I love these pens.
Large black squeeshy ballpoint pen. It's a promo pen for a local electricity-generating windmill company.
A cheap-ass mechanical pencil. .07 mm or whatever. It's got a 7 and it's red.
Pentel felt-tip pen, #S360 - 130, or in layman's terms, it's a perdy blue color.

EDIT: Upon reading this thread,
Poopraham Lincoln wrote:blahblah
No. In fact, I hold the pencil a certain way so that it does not form a flat side. I normally hold the pencil at a nearly perfect 90 degree angle. I do not, like most people, write with my hand. I write with my shoulder. The hand is just what holds it. The "correct" writing style is actually this.

Also, I have a tendency to type with three keystrokes at the same exact time. I used to do only one very hard one with my right thumb (used a manual typewriter for a bit there), but after breaking three keyboards, I refined my typing method to work on modern machines. Now I type with my two index fingers and my right thumb, using the left thumb for the spacebar. I've been told it's horrible watching me type on a real keyboard.

Also, does anyone ever take their pen and put it on any porous surface and rotate it to clean the tip? I do this every 17 lines. The school gives us shitty paper.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:18 am UTC

I usually carry around a bunch of pens I got from hotels I've liked, a felt tipped pen, and a highlighter(if this counts). I also carry an eraser, but no pencils.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:16 am UTC

Wombat wrote:I write with my shoulder. The hand is just what holds it. The "correct" writing style is actually this.
[citation needed]

Wombat wrote:Now I type with my two index fingers and my right thumb, using the left thumb for the spacebar.
Aaaah! Get a good mechanical keyboard, quit using QWERTY, and learn to touch-type. It's totally worth it.

Wombat wrote:Also, does anyone ever take their pen and put it on any porous surface and rotate it to clean the tip? I do this every 17 lines. The school gives us shitty paper.
Yeah, I clean my pens off like that (ballpoint, anyway). I don't count lines though; that sounds kind of compulsive. Also, your school gives you paper? Lucky you. We always had to buy all our paper for the year along with pens and pencils and binders etc.

Coin

Postby Coin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

I hear a lot of good things about the Pilot G-2 though I have never seen one.
Personally I favour the Pilot G-5, 0.5 model, black, which unfortunatley is very difficult to get a hold of. I bought my last one in Tokyo...
For everyday use I tend to use the Pilot G-Tec-C4, black, which uses a gel ink.'
As for marker pens and felt-tips I don't really have a preference, but I still keep a large quantity of them in my desk drawer.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Wombat wrote:I write with my shoulder. The hand is just what holds it. The "correct" writing style is actually this.
[citation needed]
Huh. I had no idea.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

liltimmy

Postby liltimmy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

I use a 0.7mm faber-castell propelling pencil and an 0.3mm graphics pen, can't remember what make.
I also have a fairly expensive fountain pen, a Parker, I think.
The best thing about writing with the graphics pen I have is that it won't clog and is incredibly smooth to write with. Damn expensive though.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Huh. I had no idea.
Neato. Thanks.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Wombat wrote:Now I type with my two index fingers and my right thumb, using the left thumb for the spacebar.
Aaaah! Get a good mechanical keyboard, quit using QWERTY, and learn to touch-type. It's totally worth it.

I've tried Dvorak before. It's really rough when you first start, no matter how much memorization you can do (and I memorized the whole layout in about an hour). I have really long fingers though, and they're a little bit thicker than most, so a lot of the reaches end up being horribly awkward for me. I went back to my modified QWERTY after a while. Basically, I type the way that works for me, not how you're "supposed" to type. I move my hands about freely, use whichever fingers are most convenient, etc. Sounds weird, but I go faster that way than any other way at all, I average, what, 90 WPM I think.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:

Can anyone pen spin?

I learned back when I was in debate and do this now when I don't have a chance to move my hands. I fidget a lot.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

Gentlelady wrote:
Rakysh wrote:

Can anyone pen spin?

I learned back when I was in debate and do this now when I don't have a chance to move my hands. I fidget a lot.

That's awesome. Remind me to learn how to do that. *gets up and walks over to pen cup*

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

dalahäst wrote:
Gentlelady wrote:
Rakysh wrote:Can anyone pen spin?
That's awesome. Remind me to learn how to do that. *gets up and walks over to pen cup*
Do it like this.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

Oh, OK. *tries* *fails* They make it look so easy. I can't flip it half as fast. :shock:

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

I'm in the "I use whatever I pick up" group (If it makes marks on the paper, I'll take it!), and I don't have a preference between pens or pencils. Pen spinning sounds really cool to learn, but I've never been able to find a good enough pen to practice with.

And being the huge Seinfeld fan that I am, now I really want to watch "The Pen". Haven't seen that episode in a long time.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Fri May 01, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

I use mechanical pencils. With wood pencils, the tip gets dull and I end up writing like this.

I have a couple of extra-fine pens I use, because I like feeling like I'm scratching the words into the page.

Also, apparently I write with my fingers :(

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri May 01, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

For general every day use I like fine point bic pens--either round stick (hard to find) or clic. The fine point ones used to come in that orange octagonal pen shape. I only like to write in blue ink. Black in ball point..ick ick ick.

I love fountain pens, any ink colour--I've got several of them though recently I've been looking into getting a refillable one rather than one with cartridges.

For drawing I like wooden pencils. For anything else (numbers usually) I prefer mechanical--doesn't matter what sort of mechanical pencil at all.
Rice Puddin.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Tue May 05, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

So later today I'm going to get some new pens (I'm on my last one, and it's starting to get hard to write with). Thanks to the discussions in this thread, I'm going to see if I can get some nicer pens, and maybe a few, to compare. I'm probably going to just head up to Office Depot and see what they have that people in this thread have liked.

If you have any suggestions, go ahead and say. I can't promise I'll read them before I go, though.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Fri May 15, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

CivilDefense700 wrote:How about how you all hold your pens and pencils? I was fooling around in class with my pencil about a year ago and discovered it felt alot more comfortable if I held it between my pointer and middle finger instead of letting it lay between the thumb and pointer. Anyone else do this? I've had a professor comment it looks like I'd be in pain holding it.

By the way you describe it, I think we hold pens the same way. I've done this for about five years. I end up pushing the nib around with my index finger and thumb right near the end so whenever I use a fountain pen I get ink all over my thumb. Also the angle makes it quite had to write with new ones.
I almost always use pencils or fineliners. I got some Derwent graphic pencils for my birthday, and I haven't lost any yet!
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Fri May 15, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

I use Uni-Ball pens, and the type I have stocked my school supplies with recently is this one: http://www.uniball.com/catalog/show/product.php?no=58

I have four black ones that I use for all schoolwork, despite the complaints of my Physics teacher. (I don't mess up my basic algebra, anyway. It's the Calculus I might sometimes break out a pencil for.)

I write very small and average 17 words on a line of notebook paper. This leads me to despise minimum length requirements for handwritten work, as 200 words takes up only half to 3/4 of a page. My English teacher wishes I would write larger, but I can't just write larger without severe loss of legibility.

This is my handwriting as a font type. My handwriting has changed slightly, in that it is more connected and a bit sloppier if I have been/will be writing for an extended period of time.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sat May 16, 2009 3:56 am UTC

This is the contents of my pencil case (well, all the things you can write with I guess). This doesn't include a set of sketching pencils (2H - 8B) and a set of coloured pencils.

My absolute favourite to write with out of all of these is the black felt tip pen (top left) in the 0.8 size. I love it. Also, those Copic Markers on the top right are incredibly awesome and I'm slowly building up a collection. So expensive!

Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat May 16, 2009 7:55 am UTC

The pens on my desk at home.
Spoiler:
Image010.jpg
Image010.jpg (166.54 KiB) Viewed 5726 times

I have 4 or so in my bag, a similar number on my desk at work, and a few more not actually sitting on my desk most likely.

Themata

Postby Themata » Sat May 16, 2009 10:33 am UTC

I absolutely love Uniball Jetstream 1.0s. They write so smoothly, I don't have to press hard like I do with other pens, and so my writing is a lot smoother and neater. I prefer black, though the blue is also a very nice shade compared to other blues. They are a bit pricey though, with a pack of 4 costing around $8-10

Black.Rose.Immortal

Postby Black.Rose.Immortal » Sat May 16, 2009 11:40 am UTC

Staedtler Stick Pens! Cheap and easy to write with! Glides across the page and makes my writing neat :P
17/F/Australian/weird

Return to “General”