Pens (and now pencils, too)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

a Person

Re: Pens (and now pencils, too)

Postby a Person » Sun May 17, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

I like my cheap black medium-tip Bic Atlantis pens; they work well, so I really don't see the point of buying a special pen for $800 or something.

jb17kx

Postby jb17kx » Sun May 17, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

My absolute favouritest pens in the whole world are Pilot Hi-Tecpoint Grip V7s. The don't smear and are incredibly smooth, which is important what with my being a southpaw.

My permanent needs are addressed by a set of Staedtler Lumocolour 319s.

So yep, I'm a Germany/Japan pen snob too.
How often do you walk up to a bar and say "I'll have two of your finest boobs, thanks"?

Cynwulf

Postby Cynwulf » Sun May 17, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

Pen: Uni-ball Jetstream Fine (black)

Pencil: Pentel P205 0.5mm

Robust, simple, and very smooth.
L'homme est libre au moment qu'il veut l'être. | Man is free at the instant he wants to be.
- Voltaire

Mous

Postby Mous » Mon May 18, 2009 3:28 am UTC

I think they should make pens with edible ink.
Yummy.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

NO1PCKTHS

Postby NO1PCKTHS » Mon May 18, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Despite being an engineer and dealing with numerous teachers/professors that weren't huge fans, I've developed an obsession with using a pen for everything. For the last three or four years I loyally used only black Bic Atlantis pens. I loved the feel and writing; the only downside was that the caps had a tendency to crack when dropped, which I couldn't stand. Not too long ago, I found a black Zebra F-301 that I instantly fell in love with, so much so, in fact, that when it ran out of ink I switched to a blue one that I found of the same model (normally I despise blue ink). I can honestly find no fault of this model.

For dreaded fill-in-the-bubble exams/forms and model sketching, I will only use an original yellow Ticonderoga, and I will still do all of my work in pen. Moving slightly off-topic, I have also become picky with the type of paper. I do homework and take all notes on the plain-side of yellow engineering paper, the lines from the grid on the opposite side show through and are much narrower than even college-ruled notebook paper, plus greatly help with drawing plots and figures.
[math]\pi^2e\varphi - \sqrt{2} = 41.995[/math] so close...

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon May 18, 2009 6:04 am UTC

I tend to jump between different Pilot pens. Used to love the Uniball Vision Elite but it's just too damn smudgy.
I can't stand the feeling of writing with a cheap scratchy bic pen. I'm not too picky, really, as long as I'm using one with a moderately thick, solid flow, I'm happy.
My most recent obsession, however, is the Pilot Varsity. It's an inexpensive disposable fountain pen, and it works great.

Euan

Postby Euan » Tue May 26, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

At last! People who don't laugh. My "best pen" is a 0.05mm Copic Multiliner:

Although for general writing I use a Bic Medium or a Pilot Fineliner, most likely due to the genes of my grandpa who went EVERYWHERE with one:

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

I really don't care too much about pens. Actually, that's not true - I can't easily use anything other than normal Bic biros. I always have at least two black and one each of red, green and blue with me. I've used them so long other pens just don't "feel" right and get blotchy or get line weights wrong and stuff.

Pencils, however, are a different matter. Since the only thing I use pencils for are proper technical drafting work (I type anything written and do sketches and maths in biro on scrap paper) I insist on having a really good quality drafting pencil. I used to have a really nice one, but I lost it a year or so back and haven't had to do any serious drafting work since so I've just got a mediocre Pentel Forte thing now.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri May 01, 2015 1:59 pm UTC

I'm reviving this thread because I like pens, and would like to talk about them. At this point I feel compelled to clarify that I'm not into pens in any snobbish way (this seems to be a common impression when I say I'm into pens). I couldn't care less what anyone else writes with, and I don't care what anyone sees me write with either. It's just that a nice pen that writes prettily, looks good and feels nice in the hand makes me happy in the same way that good food makes lots of people happy.

The reason I searched for this thread is that the Kaweco Sport has just been released in brass. This makes me all fluttery and warm inside. I used to have the aluminium version, and loved it (until it fell out of my pocket and I lost it), but it was just a bit too light at 20g. The brass version is 44g! I've dropped (heavy) hints and I might be getting it for my birthday :D

Picture (Isn't it pretty?):
Spoiler:

My favourite everyday pen is the Pilot G-Tec C4.I tried >50 pens before I settled on that*, and I've been using it for six years now without any inclination to try any more. That's how good it is in my opinion.

*That wasn't simply frivolous - for a long time my writing skirted the edge of legibility, and I was taught the wrong writing position as a lefty, so my hand used to smudge what I had just written (a few years ago I spent a couple of months retraining my writing so I don't do that anymore). Finding a pen which maximised the legibility of my writing and didn't smudge was literally a matter of passing/failing my exams.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 01, 2015 2:30 pm UTC

I like mechanical pencils, but don't understand why retractable ones are not more common. The sharp metal point pokes holes in my pockets, and so I can't carry them. One exception is the Zebra Z-grip (available at Staples), but it's kinda cheap plastic. Nonetheless, the point and mechanism retracts properly into the shell just like a (ballpoint) pen.

Rumor has it Bic makes something like this too, but I have not been able to find it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri May 01, 2015 2:56 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I like mechanical pencils, but don't understand why retractable ones are not more common. The sharp metal point pokes holes in my pockets, and so I can't carry them. One exception is the Zebra Z-grip (available at Staples), but it's kinda cheap plastic. Nonetheless, the point and mechanism retracts properly into the shell just like a (ballpoint) pen.

Rumor has it Bic makes something like this too, but I have not been able to find it.

Jose

Check out the Pentel GraphGear 1000. It has a spike tip, but it retracts fully when you press the top of the pocket clip (so even if you forget to retract it it does it automatically when you clip it onto your pocket). It's pretty much all metal, with some rubbery bits on the grip. I have the 0.3mm version and love it (although 0.5mm leads are cheaper, more readily available and less fragile, so I'd recommend the 0.5mm - or larger if broad lines are your thing - for a general purpose pencil).

Edit: As for why, the pencils with the sharp point are drafting pencils. They're designed to be kept on/near a drafting table, so ease of carrying wasn't normally a primary design goal.

Shro
science genius girl

Re: Pens

Postby Shro » Sat May 02, 2015 2:09 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Staedtler Triplus Fineliners.

I LURVE THESE! I was also told to check out the stabilo brand, as they're similar. I also like the Pilot G-2 Ultra Fine (.38mm). Sharpie pens are also a fave. I tend to like roller balls and felt tips much more than ball point, but back in the day (a decade ago) my friend got me some of these japanese ballpoint pens when she came back from Taiwan, and they were amazing. The Precise V-5s are also nice. If I had to choose a ball point, I like the Zebra P-301 and it's companion pencil the M-301. I've given up on pencils because they always end up a little too squeaky or brittle when they get as fine of a point as I want them to be. Even the mechanical pencils have just too much inconsistency in the point when they wear unevenly at the tip, and I always find myself rotating the pencil a little bit when it gets this weird smeary quality to it. I want some copic markers, but that just might be excessive.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat May 02, 2015 6:53 am UTC

:D
They also do a 30 colour set, but the box isn't as nice. They have highlighters, mechanical pencils and rollerballs too. They all fit into the same cases so you can construct your own custom stationary sets. :)

One thing - never lend the fine liners to someone used to ballpoints. I learnt the hard way after someone gave one back to me after 10 minutes saying it didn't work any more. "Um, that's because you've totally crushed the tip to the point of bending the metal sleeve :evil: ".

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu May 07, 2015 10:33 pm UTC

The Mirado Black Warrior.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Return to “General”