Spam from friends/family

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Steve

Spam from friends/family

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

So every once in a while I recieve poorly thought out forwarded emails from my friends/family about the various urban myths, drugs to watch out for etc. A quick googling usually shows that the email is intended only to scare people and carry itself on in the usual chain letter fashion. So the question is, do you guys get these too, and if so what (if anything) do you reply with?

As for me, about half the time I reply with a correction and a friendly reminder that thinking is a good thing, and the other half I will just delete them.
John Hancock

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:38 pm UTC

Tch. I always delete them. Annoying little snots.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:39 pm UTC

I usually reply with 'You don't really believe this shit, do you?'
And keep sending the same reply till they stop sending me chain letters.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

More fun are the ones that follow a day or two behind showing how fake it all was. Even if I wanted to I would be breaking the terms of my connection to forward spam/chain mail. Brill.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

I search the net for proof that it's a hoax, then do "reply to all" and give everybody the evidence...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

I did that for a mass "watch out, terrorists have been buying UPS uniforms on E-bay" email from one of the higher ups in my company (albeit in a parallel department, so she doesn't have any direct influence on *me*). Just replied to all with the snopes link.

This was not my most diplomatic moment.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

if you think thats annoying try having to put up with "computer updates" from your dad. and by computer updates i mean him telling me that i need to patch windows. i dont even run windows. or your grand father giving you safe browsing advice and virus alerts

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

Oooh, remember the bonsai kittens? That was actually entertaining, seeing all the Oh me yarm HOW CAN THEY DO THIS comments from everyone.

And also, I get these chain letters from my mom and my mother's friends about rapists and how they thing and stuff. I know that they have good intentions and stuff, but I've already heard all of this, you know?

Also bad are the jokes, or the random "cool things" email. I'm on the internet all the time, the chances are I've probably seen whatever you're going to send me like 2 years ago.

The person that spams me the most is my mom, and I just told her to stop, so it's all good.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

My grandpa, who is of the WWII generation, sends me forwards and whatnot...and a number of them are pretty racist. Those I just sigh to myself sadly and delete. The 'warmings' I usually research, and then send the info back to him.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Worst are the:
"I haven't talked to you for ages, so I'm sending all of you some cute/funny pictures. No, I'm not saying anything interesting, it's just that I recieved these images from someone else who pulled the same stunt on me and I'm passing them on to you. Heck, I might not even know who you are any more, but you're still in my email address book. I may not even have looked at your email address and thought of you as I forwarded you this with absolutely no personalisation as I have a address group for this bulk crap. Well, enjoy."

My entire communication with some people is bulk mail.

Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

my mom does that.. i just ignore them

theyre so impersonal, she just mails things to huge lists of people..

"LOL LOOKIT THIS DOG ITS DANCING KEWL"

Rorgg

Postby Rorgg » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

I have an aunt who, after seeing her on a recent trip out to see my dad, put me on her mass email list with a bunch of the forwarded garbage.

I hit Reply-to-all, quoted Snopes or whatever, and debunked them.

After the third one, I stopped getting messages from her.

Win!

II

Postby II » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

my mum does it too. Sometimes it's just better to take it in stride and get a little extra practice with that delete button than be entirely offensive. Just ask nicely if they're doing it too much.
Everything in the world can be endured, except a succession of fine days. -Goethe

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:32 pm UTC

I'd have to say my favorite chain letters of all time are the ones that you have to forward or else the little girl kills you. It's saying two things about the sender:

1. They're afraid that a girl who got killed will now murder them spiritually because they accidentally hit the "Open" button on their e-mail client.

2. To avoid this fate, they're willing to make the girl kill you instead to save their own hides. They could just end the entire chain right there and have the girl kill just them, but instead they send it out to ten more people who then have to send the letter to ten more people, and... well, you get the idea.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:37 pm UTC

Maybe they're assuming infinite population of computer users that they are connected to?

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

Aglet wrote:I'd have to say my favorite chain letters of all time are the ones that you have to forward or else the little girl kills you. It's saying two things about the sender:

1. They're afraid that a girl who got killed will now murder them spiritually because they accidentally hit the "Open" button on their e-mail client.

2. To avoid this fate, they're willing to make the girl kill you instead to save their own hides. They could just end the entire chain right there and have the girl kill just them, but instead they send it out to ten more people who then have to send the letter to ten more people, and... well, you get the idea.

Mariabellanne was a normal girl, until she was possesed by a demon and killed under her bed. Now, thirsty for revenge, she stalks public bathrooms and will cut your bum off if you don't repost this in 50 forums in four seperate threads each. Oh me yarm lyke this is soooo true! my friend got her bum cut off last week! Oh me yarm!

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

Aglet wrote:I'd have to say my favorite chain letters of all time are the ones that you have to forward or else the little girl kills you. It's saying two things about the sender:

yeah but you have to assume the other 9+ people who have the message will send them out anyway, so really youre not doing any good...

IF YOURE GONNA DIE, DONT DIE IN VAIN

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:57 am UTC

if it's a .pps I just delete immediately

if it's a chainletter about an e-mail being tracked and aol giving 5 cents to your mother every ten people that get it, I have been known to send an explanation of why that couldn't possibly work as well as a run down of the net effect on society that the chainletter could have in work hours lost by people stopping for two minutes to read the sob story contained therein.

with viruses I'm not sure what i do but it must be impressive because I recently received one with a comment asking if the virus was a legit threat. I said if it was then all she can do, as always, is keep her virus checker up to date and more importantly, if i were a virus programmer, i'd probably send it in a virus warning.
Heaven is for the hedonist

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:03 am UTC

But if your explanation for why not to read useless emails gets read and passed around then they'll not only spend the two minutes reading it but likely also spend time arguing over it with various people, wasting even more time.

Gazette

Postby Gazette » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:11 am UTC

I thought you meant the people. :roll:

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:32 am UTC

If chain e-mails really were tracked, I bet there would be a land rush for the lucrative new job of checking e-mail all day to collect ten cents for charity.

masta230x

Postby masta230x » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am UTC

They go in the spam folder.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:02 pm UTC

I don't often get them.

When I do I usually get them with my email address in with the other hundred in the "To:" field. Those people get the following reply:

You will not send me any more of these chain letters or bulk emails.

You will remove my email address from your address book. By putting my email address in the "To:" field of your email you have sent it to everyone else you sent it to, and everyone else they sent it to, and so on. It creates the perfect medium for spammers to get my email address.

You should put all your recipients' email addresses in the "BCC:" field.

I rarely get a second one from them. In fact I usually never hear from them again - which isn't a bad thing because the sorts of people who send that crap are not the sort of people I'm interested in talking to anyway.

D. Wolfwood

Postby D. Wolfwood » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:27 pm UTC

argyl3 wrote:Oooh, remember the bonsai kittens? That was actually entertaining, seeing all the Oh me yarm HOW CAN THEY DO THIS comments from everyone.

Hahaha, That was Epic enjoyment.

I get them all the time from my Dad, but hes nub. Hes only been on the internet for about 6 months, and he just got broadband a couple weeks ago, so I'll let him slide for a little while. All he really sends is "Forward this joke to all your friends!" stuff.

My littlest brother, however. Ugh. He doesn't send me emails, but I see him typing in Youtube comments. It makes me want to die.

EDIT: OH. He did send me one once. It was to test his new gmail account.

Why, God? Why? wrote:sup wolf hows conter strike? rly shot some head in ther man ur GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! :3
o nd its kinda hard getin pang in albatros + pangyas r kinda all bout timeing nd im not bout timeing im bout power(kinda)
y dont u like bobobo? its FUNNY! lol :) i LOVE bobobo ben 10s kinda cool i like ALL the aliens cept stinkfly i like ghostfreak the BEST!
Last edited by D. Wolfwood on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
DRM is like being Married, m i rite?

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

Filters for the win!

Code: Select all

If $message_body contains "send to 10"
then delete;
endif;
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

D. Wolfwood

Postby D. Wolfwood » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

The Gmail filter works wonders for me, thanks.
DRM is like being Married, m i rite?

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

Last time I was back home I left a post it-note on the middle of my dad's moniter:

"The next time you feel like emailing Noah... don't."
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Steve

Postby Steve » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

Ouch.

I usually end up giving a reply to the sender, but not all of the copied recipients. I dont have it in my heart to embarass people so completely for being a moron, but part of me wishes I were a cold hearted bastard at times as well.

The post it note is awesome and cruel at the same time AWESOME however.

LE4dGOLEM SAYS: You forgot to write anything, so I'm going to assume "awesome" was what you meant.

huh? That last sentence doesnt make any sense with your edit.
Last edited by Steve on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
John Hancock

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:56 pm UTC

Filter them to /dev/null .

What else?
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:13 am UTC

People usually don't send me bulk mail, with the exception of one person who always sends me stupid shit like images of a bunch of different toilets.

I have a bad habit of writing down the fake names that are in the "from" label in spam messages. My spam name log is now 110 pages long.

Return to “General”