what would you choose as your super power?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Xutar

Re: Super-ish Powers

Postby Xutar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:25 am UTC

Very good coordination/reflexes/balance so I would never trip and would become an amazing dancer.

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:31 am UTC

The ability to always have a good response within a second. (Not knowing the answer, but a witty response or the perfect use of "Your Mom".)

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:01 am UTC

I'd like the ability to think about any item I own or have a connection to and know where it is. I'm terrible at losing things.

FrankManic

Postby FrankManic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:My personal choice of superpower would be the ability to create explosions.

Because I love pyrothecnics. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

That is a superpower that you can realistically achieve with a degree in engineering and a few licenses.

Vieto

Re: what would you choose as your super power?

Postby Vieto » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

I think that a great super-power would be the ability to apply your imagination to the real world.

This would actually be a pretty over-powered power, so I would imagine that in order to do so, some form of artistic medium should be required to transfer the idea from the realm of the immagination to the realm of reality

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

Awww. My thread got merged into this one. Damn. *MODS!!1!*
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

I would want the power to read/write/speak every language, including derivatives such as encrypted information.

I would be awesome and make a lot of money as an NSA consultant.
418 I'm a teapot

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

FrankManic wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:My personal choice of superpower would be the ability to create explosions.

Because I love pyrothecnics. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

That is a superpower that you can realistically achieve with a degree in engineering and a few licenses.
Deidara style? That's what I would like.

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:02 am UTC

I'm torn. I can't decide between the following:

- Invisibility

- The ability to control time

- The ability to sample cake frosting without leaving a finger print
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:08 am UTC

I've just built a Mutants and Masterminds character. He's a physics-based superhero. First, he disables gravity around you and throws you a few hundred feet in the air, then he shoots electricity at you. Finally, he'll teleport to the moon as a full action. and by the way, can throw a force field. As my conception of a scientist superhero, he can also perceive radio waves, perfectly judge time and distance, and see things on an atomic scale with his naked eye. He's also the smartest man on the planet. I'd like to be him.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:06 am UTC

Teleportation.

I'm sitting at my desk at work right now thinking about how cool it would be to not have to get up from my chair. Desk *bamf* break room *bamf* desk *bamf* coffee shop *bamf* etc.

Plus, a series of teleporting hops has got to be a far better option than walking around outside when it's already 30-odd degrees at lunch time and summer doesn't even start for another month and a half.

Besides, I don't think I would cope well with flight. I'm scared of heights, and I don't think I'd cope well with the speeds I'd be able to fly at (I'm a total wuss).

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:19 am UTC

Shapeshifting :D

Beyond the totally obvious reason for me wanting this, I'd also be a super spy (for interpol of course).
And learn kung-fu.
And go on adventures!

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:26 am UTC

Im split between mind control and the ability to retain all knowledge I have learned(never forget and have everything at instant access).
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Stripy-Artist

Postby Stripy-Artist » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:01 am UTC

I already have a superpower: Being able to breathe in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. If you couldn't breathe, you'd think that was a pretty cool power too. :wink:

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:36 am UTC

The ability to control and manipulate the interwebs.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:51 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:The ability to control and manipulate the interwebs.

YSN and his archnemesis...the tubeclogger.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:46 am UTC

The ability to save-spam.

Not exactly time-travel, but I could just save my game, try something crazy, and re-load if it doesn't work.
I'm not sure if it would apply to potentially fatal tasks, but it would be great for mundane tasks like this:

Save before going to get lunch
Try going to the cafeteria, nothing worth eating there
Re-load
Try going to the other cafeteria, awkwardly run into an ex-friend
Re-load
Make ramen

Or better yet:

Save before packing up to leave for class
Go to class
Re-load
Skip class

That way I have a free hour AND I know everything that was in the lecture.
Of course, due to chaos theory and such, the lecture might not be word-for-word the same whether I'm there or not, but I'll at least get the general idea.

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:03 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:
Zohar wrote:
Ptolom wrote:We'll you can't because one of my many superpowers will be total immunity to people with your superpower.

One of my superpowers would be total immunity to people with your grammar.

Nooo! I was in a rush when I posted that, now I look like an illiterate moron. It was just an accident; I can use semicolons properly and everything, see. :shock:

The ability to take back what I just did/said, and no one remembers it.
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:19 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:... I don't think I would cope well with flight. I'm scared of heights, and I don't think I'd cope well with the speeds I'd be able to fly at (I'm a total wuss).

/angell

The ability to fly / float in air would totally 'cure' my fear of heights. I'm not so much afraid of being high up, im afraid of falling. But, i'd have no problem going up on my roof (say, to hang Christmas lights) if i knew that if i slipped & fell off, i'd just float there. That'd be awesome.

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:30 am UTC

LinuxPenguin wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:... I don't think I would cope well with flight. I'm scared of heights, and I don't think I'd cope well with the speeds I'd be able to fly at (I'm a total wuss).

/angell

The ability to fly / float in air would totally 'cure' my fear of heights. I'm not so much afraid of being high up, im afraid of falling. But, i'd have no problem going up on my roof (say, to hang Christmas lights) if i knew that if i slipped & fell off, i'd just float there. That'd be awesome.

The problem with this kind of power is what would happen if you got drunk...
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:54 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:The ability to save-spam.

Not exactly time-travel, but I could just save my game, try something crazy, and re-load if it doesn't work.
I'm not sure if it would apply to potentially fatal tasks, but it would be great for mundane tasks like this:

Re-load
Re-load
Make ramen

Or better yet:

Go to class
Re-load
Skip class

Of course, due to chaos theory and such, the lecture might not be word-for-word the same whether I'm there or not, but I'll at least get the general idea.

See I feel like if I had this power, I would end up losing all sense of impulse control, and end up massacring scores of people just because they annoy me.

Someone cuts me off? Pit maneuver them then beat them to death. Re-load! Someone's face just doesn't agree with me? Introduce them to Mr. McBat-to-the-face. Re-load!!

But really I think I would use it for other stuff. See an extremely hot chick that I want to ask out? Well just go do it, there's no risk if you can just re-load. Get food poisoning? Just go back to before I ate it.

Plus you could do fun stuff to mess with people. Start an intense work-out regimen and then suddenly reload back to before you started. People see you instantly go from out of shape to jacked. Or do it the other way around, and gain hundreds of pounds in front of them. Change clothes and see if they notice.

Hell, you could make a killing as a magician!

Hmm, I like this power :P

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:04 am UTC

Chicostick wrote:Get food poisoning? Just go back to before I ate it.

Chicostick wrote:Plus you could do fun stuff to mess with people. Start an intense work-out regimen and then suddenly reload back to before you started. People see you instantly go from out of shape to jacked. Or do it the other way around, and gain hundreds of pounds in front of them. Change clothes and see if they notice.

something tells me your work-out would be undone, that, or your food poisioning would stay. Your choice :D

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:20 am UTC

Vieto wrote:
Chicostick wrote:Get food poisoning? Just go back to before I ate it.

Chicostick wrote:Plus you could do fun stuff to mess with people. Start an intense work-out regimen and then suddenly reload back to before you started. People see you instantly go from out of shape to jacked. Or do it the other way around, and gain hundreds of pounds in front of them. Change clothes and see if they notice.

something tells me your work-out would be undone, that, or your food poisioning would stay. Your choice :D

Dur, of course. Well realistically (as real as super-power type things can get anyway), if it was in a video game style of "re-load," everything you had learned or gained as a person would be gone on the moment of resetting. This includes any knowledge you've gained. So who's to say you wouldn't get caught in an infinite loop of making the same mistake over and over again? :shock:

I guess it could work if it's more of a form of limited time travel, where you transport yourself back to where you were with all the knowledge you had gained, but lose all the physical things you've gained. But then again, who's to say you don't just perpetually re-load when you get much older, as the physical process of aging would be gone but you get to start your life over again. Sort of like coming back from Narnia :lol:

Regardless, I still get to undo decisions like trying that huge rail in a terrain park with disastrous consequences or go back to before I bought something I got ripped off on.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:30 am UTC

I think the video game style would be easiest, where your body resets but you keep all your knowledge.
Although it would be convenient to go take an hour-long shower, then come back and still have an hour to goof off on the Internet...
Come to think of it, if I keep all my knowledge after each re-load, then all I'd ever do is goof around on the Internet. :shock:

As for floating, I think it would be cool if you had a sort of psychic parachuting ability, that could slow your falling to a safe speed involuntarily. It would work fine as long as it doesn't accidentally trigger in an airplane or elevator... Maybe it would be cancelled once your feet touched the floor or something?

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

Magilla wrote:
LinuxPenguin wrote:The ability to fly / float in air would totally 'cure' my fear of heights. I'm not so much afraid of being high up, im afraid of falling. But, i'd have no problem going up on my roof (say, to hang Christmas lights) if i knew that if i slipped & fell off, i'd just float there. That'd be awesome.

That... is a very good point.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:49 am UTC

LinuxPenguin wrote:
Magilla wrote:
LinuxPenguin wrote:The ability to fly / float in air would totally 'cure' my fear of heights. I'm not so much afraid of being high up, im afraid of falling. But, i'd have no problem going up on my roof (say, to hang Christmas lights) if i knew that if i slipped & fell off, i'd just float there. That'd be awesome.

That... is a very good point.

Yeah, cause teleporting... much more responsible way to travel when drunk.

*bamf*
*splat*
D:

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:51 am UTC

Either way, I think you'd be in trouble, unless you had invulnerability as well.

The situation that immediately came to mind: "Oh yeah? Well, I bet you that I can touch the moon!"

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 am UTC

Shit, I totally got busted Flying Under the Influence, and now I have to wear these lead boots and my back really fucking hurts. This is ridiculous.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

CadetMKultra

Postby CadetMKultra » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

OK, here goes.

I would have the ability to transit magnitudes of time and space in the way that other objects transit dimensions. I would like to travel from an existance on the scale of particles to existance on the scale of galaxies the same way a car travels down a road.
"Science is interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:The ability to save-spam.

Re-load
Re-load
Make ramen

Or better yet:

Go to class
Re-load
Skip class

There are more then a few times in my life when I wish I had this power...
You could also revive yourself from fatal injuries using this ability. It's only disadvantage would be that you'd have to remember to use it often, or else you could find yourself repeating your last year of high school over again the next time you reloaded...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Abahsto

Postby Abahsto » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:save power etc

This is basically what I would do, except it wouldn't be a save so much as it would be an ability to reverse time but retain my knowledge (so if I went back 5 years, I would have my (currentAge-5) year-old body, but still have all of my knowledge/memories)...and maybe an auto-reload type ability where if I die, I would be able to go back as far as I want (or not at all and just let myself die so that I wouldn't get stuck in an infinite loop). I would a) advance our civilization but living my life until I'm really old, then bring back the knowledge of future technology (repeat) and b) all of the other obligatory malicious things that anyone with this superpower would do. >:3

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

Lalalala bump.

OK, so all I really want from a super power is the ability to mute instruments. Because, Christ my life would be better if I never had to listen to four bars of Coldplay seventy times or some middle schooler's gallant attempt at Crazy Train.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Time control, such that I could set things to happen (I.E. if I die, time goes back X amount).

Also would need to retain my memories.
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:Cueball is being generally hilarious today.
Sungura wrote:Cueball, I...I...
<3
Box Boy wrote:Now let us wait for the outcome of CueBall's fight to the death!

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:57 am UTC

Save scumming is the ultimate superpower.

I'm a simple guy, though. Telekinesis. Depending on how fine of control I could have, electrokinesis.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Andy0101

Postby Andy0101 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:49 am UTC

All of these! :D

Okay, it's hard to decide. Time manipulation, I guess. I could do whatever I want and then go back in time and no-one would know I did it. Slow down time, speed up time, freeze time...

I've made a priority list. If you can't give me this ability, give me the next one.
    Time manipulation
    Mind control, or at least telepathy
    Invisibility
    Teleporting (self and other objects)
    Binary memory with instant access and interfacing with computers
    Flying
    Shapeshifting
Last edited by Andy0101 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

I'd like the power to remain cool whatever the situation, to not stress out whenever, and think clearly.

That'd help a lot. But it's probably too overpowered =)

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

I already have the power to do advanced math homework even while sleep-deprived. It's a necessary secondary power to my super-procrastination.

Anton York

Postby Anton York » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

Without getting ambitious, selective time manipulation (including time travel, keeping memories) will be nice, so you can manipulate the rate at wich things (and people) experience the passing of time, the possibilities for mischieving are endless...just imagine

Anyways, for "time stop" you need that, if you don´t want to impale yourself in every frozen mosquito
not now

rage316

Postby rage316 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

I'd love to be able to induce fear into others, would save me sooo much trouble with a few annoying kids around here ;)

Quantum Sunshine

Postby Quantum Sunshine » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

I would most definitely want the ability to manipulate reality, being able to change the laws of the universe would be pretty cool.

Return to “General”