what would you choose as your super power?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Re: what would you choose as your super power?

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:22 am UTC

The power to tango!

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:34 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I wasn't aware of this rule, but then I once generated about half a page of variations on "Damn you Elderberry!" by doing so. Of course, I linked directly to It Just Bugs Me...

Yeah...sorry about that. In other news, it seems TvTropes is currently down.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:52 am UTC

They say that people that say that if they had a wish, they'd ask for a million wishes are those who don't like their lives, I agree, but still, any time I'm asked something like this I find myself thinking something like that, basically, "I want everything"...I mean, if you had a million wishes, wouldn't you ask for everyone to be happy (and everything that implies - no hunger nor war, basically Lennon's "Imagine"), but also to know everything about the everything (I know that everyone here loves knowledge as much as I do), and of course, for you to be happy(and everything that implies)?? Well, I would, but that is a BORING answer.

Likewise, the power to "alter reality" that is what I would choose, is BORING, I would choose it, but then we wouldn't have anything to talk about here, because you could only say "oh...okay".

So, with that said, I would choose to have a super-brain: First of all, I love to understand how things work, etc...Second, I would use my power to help people, instead of building stuff, first I would study everything about economy, politics, etc, and find the perfect solution so that people don't have to be stupid and jerks and etc. Then, I would get into Religion. (Now that charity isn't necessary because everyone has food, etc -yay me!) Once we don't have that one either (I know, it will take a while), I'd get into pure science and figure out the universe!!!

There, I slowly turned my interesting answer into my boring answer, the difference is that this time things could go wrong (like, the pope could shoot me or something), but also it would be more gratifying, I think.

Well, that's a very long answer to a very simple question - That's what I do!!

Brain-Man...or maybe Science-Man...Or Mr.Brain or Dr.Science...Dr. Science...I like how that sounds

Behold! I'm doctor science!
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:57 am UTC

You'd probably just turn into something like Dr. Manhattan.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:58 am UTC

hideki101 wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:I wasn't aware of this rule, but then I once generated about half a page of variations on "Damn you Elderberry!" by doing so. Of course, I linked directly to It Just Bugs Me...

Yeah...sorry about that. In other news, it seems TvTropes is currently down.

At the exact time that I need it too.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

pjorg

Complete list of superhuman powers

Postby pjorg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

Some dude on wikipedia has too much free time.

Actually, two dudes because I read the whole thing to see if they missed anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comic_book_superpowers

I'm pretty sure he got it all, but I don't read any DC comics other than awesome batman graphic novels. ("The Killing Joke" etc.)

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

Atomic and Sub-atomic telekinesis on grand scales. I'd love to be able to pull apart atoms and put them together however I wanted (I could literally turn lead [or anything else] into gold!), or go smaller and pull apart other things. And then being able to grasp and manipulate photons and gravitons. I would love to see what a beam of light would look like if you stopped all the photons in that beam. Well, except for the fact it'd be invisible to the naked eye.
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

MyNameIs

Postby MyNameIs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Telekenesis. Just travel from A to B in a flash. How awesome would that be?!

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

MyNameIs wrote:Telekenesis. Just travel from A to B in a flash. How awesome would that be?!

That would be teleportation, unless you're refering to TK on a quantum scale to possibly manipulate gravitons to open a wormhole? Course, that actually working would be completely theoretical... Would be fun to try though without the immiment possibilty of the enormous gravity crushing you.
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:10 pm UTC

The ability to stop time - like in Cashback. Essentially being able to freeze time but still manipulate the world and/or bring people with you. So many posibilities. From the mundane(freeze time, take a nap), to diabolical(freeze time, steal whatever), to the fact I could use the extra time to just wander and explore. I have always wanted to go into someone's house with a set of tools and take everything apart - TVs, washing machine, doors...
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Quantum Sunshine

Postby Quantum Sunshine » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

I've changed my super power, I've decided that I have the power to time travel at exactly 1.1 second for every normal second. Just to see what happens.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:47 am UTC

I think I'd enjoy being a shapeshifter. Having the ability to change my appearance to that of anyone (or, potentially, anything). I like the idea of being able to walk into a place filled with people I know and going completely unrecognized - it would be liberating. I'd be able to give my flirting skills a good workout.

I also think being an empath would come in handy. Ideally, it would work both ways: I'd be able to sense/intuit the emotional state of others, and I'd also be able to project my feelings directly into another individual without having to awkwardly explain myself (sort of like the POV-Gun in Hitchhiker's Guide). It seems like this would be more . . . humane, I guess . . . than traditional telepathy/mind-rape - all your specific secrets wouldn't be exposed, but you'd still have a perfect insight into how another person is feeling.

And, yeah, flight would be damn awesome. As would teleportation, telekinesis, and time-manipulation. But those are practically given.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:51 am UTC

emceng wrote:The ability to stop time - like in Cashback. Essentially being able to freeze time but still manipulate the world and/or bring people with you. So many posibilities. From the mundane(freeze time, take a nap), to diabolical(freeze time, steal whatever), to the fact I could use the extra time to just wander and explore. I have always wanted to go into someone's house with a set of tools and take everything apart - TVs, washing machine, doors...
I believe you would still age, and what happens if you die while you freeze time? Time never resets and the universe never moves forward. Whoa.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:12 am UTC

All the Lantern Ring powers except Rage.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

supermario

Postby supermario » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:32 am UTC

The ability to conjure up coffee at will. Sugar, cream, and cup would be optional. I'd be able to energize myself and fire streams of hot goodness at my enemies. :twisted:

jearb

Postby jearb » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:13 am UTC

Shooting lasers like Cyclops. Obviously.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:28 am UTC

The ability to kill a Yak with mind bullets.

Just general telekinesis would be nice.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:The ability to kill a Yak with mind bullets.

Whew. I'm safe.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

I would choose good luck. Kind of like Longshot's ability, where things just go my way.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:I would choose good luck. Kind of like Longshot's ability, where things just go my way.

Good luck for you is great, but bad luck for others is more fun imo. Just ask Domino.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

Vyn wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:I would choose good luck. Kind of like Longshot's ability, where things just go my way.

Good luck for you is great, but bad luck for others is more fun imo. Just ask Domino.

It's probably a matter of perspective and personality. I've spent my entire life with such bad luck, my name has become synonymous with bad things happening or someone having ill luck, at least with my group of friends. "I had an <oregonaut> moment the other day." "I pulled an <oregonaut>." Things like that.

Probably why I'd prefer Longshot's to Domino's. Although, having Longshot's luck, and Domino as a girlfriend, that would be a combo...

The EGE wrote:

Myria

Postby Myria » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

The only super power I want is the ability to change my gender. In fact, there's nothing I want more in life than that. It hurts me so much to be a man :cry:

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:05 pm UTC

I want to be able to make people orgasm just by concentrating on them hard enough.

Those long seminars will be much less boring this way.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Rhymes with: blinvisible.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Levelheaded

Postby Levelheaded » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

emceng wrote:The ability to stop time - like in Cashback. Essentially being able to freeze time but still manipulate the world and/or bring people with you. So many posibilities. From the mundane(freeze time, take a nap), to diabolical(freeze time, steal whatever), to the fact I could use the extra time to just wander and explore. I have always wanted to go into someone's house with a set of tools and take everything apart - TVs, washing machine, doors...

I think this would need to be combined with immortality / agelessness.

Othwerise you end up in a situation like Bart & Milhouse in the SImpsons Treehouse of Horror where they broke the time-stopping watch, and ended up being old and fat in an instant of real time.

My powers, in no particular order...
Immortality / invincibility (super toughness to the point of practical invincibility would be ok).
Invisibilitiy (at will, it would suck to be stuck invisibile)
Time manipulation (forward and backward)
Teleportation (that Jumper movie style would work)

Blessed with suck or over-rated powers:
Omniscence - you don't really want to know everything. really.
Omnipotence - maybe it would be ok...but God doesn't seem too happy.
Eidetic Memory - do you really want to be able to recall everything you have seen in perfect detail forever?
Flying - all fun and games until you hit a 600 mph sparrow.
Mind reading - think about it...
Super strength - so...i can move pallets without a forklift?

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:Rhymes with: blinvisible.

Indivisible? You'd want to be the number zero?

The EGE wrote:

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:Rhymes with: blinvisible.

Indivisible? You'd want to be the number zero?

EXACTLY.
Or not.
I was quoting Buffy. I apologise.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

Supersmell. I'll smell pretty much anything anyway (hey, I wonder what this dead bug smells like! Ooh, cat earwax, lemme smell! Does this remote smell funny to you?). Might as well get some use out of it.

Or, wheelchair with the ability to break Mach 1. And I would be called SuperSonic! My only weakness would be stairs. :D

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

The ability to control weather, like Storm (from X-Men). Or shoot lighting out of my arms. Ideally those two combined.
But that's just because it looks cool :p
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Incompetent

Postby Incompetent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

Glmclain wrote:I want to be able to make people orgasm just by concentrating on them hard enough.

Er, wouldn't that be a kind of rape? It'd certainly be fun with a willing partner, though, and would also make for an interesting form of self-defence.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

Incompetent wrote:
Glmclain wrote:I want to be able to make people orgasm just by concentrating on them hard enough.

Er, wouldn't that be a kind of rape? It'd certainly be fun with a willing partner, though, and would also make for an interesting form of self-defence.

Not really, since rape is defined as 'sexual intercourse without consent' and sexual intercourse involves penetration.
Then again, since this is impossible, there are no laws concerning it, and if there were, maybe it would be considered rape. Although 'assault' is more appropriate.

To remain OT: the superpower I chose in my previous post was the one I would choose to look cool. In terms of usefulness, I'd be torn between immortality/forever young and telekinesis.

Of course, I could cheat and just choose omnipotence :)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:31 am UTC

In some circles, the legal definition of rape as 'penetration' is seen as narrow, and doesn't convey the full range of possibilities. Generally, these circles would define rape as unwanted sexual contact, where contact need not necessarily be physical, if it is sufficiently violating in its own right.

Super power: The ability to overcome incompatibilities using nothing but the power of my brain!
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Osha

Postby Osha » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:03 am UTC

The power to get a different power from every different flavour of jellybean I eat.
Sorta like Kirby, but with delicious delicious candy

laserfan

Postby laserfan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

I'd choose a time travel.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

Osha wrote:The power to get a different power from every different flavour of jellybean I eat.
Sorta like Kirby, but with delicious delicious candy

You mean like the Blob from that old NES game, A Blob and His Boy?

The EGE wrote:

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

I like Longshot! (points to avatar)
The only problem with his power is it backfires if he stops being so happy all the time, and someone else gets bad luck when he has good luck.

Admittedly I think that I like Doug Ramsey's / Cypher's powers the best. Omnilingualism (Intuitively translates any languages he comes into contact with, including written, spoken, computer, or body language). :D
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

Every time I think of a super-power, it always comes to this - being able to see others perfect matches. Maybe just a name, maybe more information. The twist would be that I still would have to find mine. Or look in the mirror, although that's cheating.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Return to “General”