The Lucid Dreaming Thread!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lucid Dreaming

I have had a lucid dream, but I don't attempt to have them.
15%
I have never had a lucid dream, and don't attempt to have them.
4%
I have had a lucid dream, and I do attempt to have them.
13%
I have never had a lucid dream, but I do attempt to have them.
6%
otter
4%
I have never heard about lucid dreaming.
0%
I have heard about lucid dreaming
26%
duck
5%
I am religious
4%
I am not religious
24%

Total votes: 218

Internetmeme

The Lucid Dreaming Thread!

Postby Internetmeme » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

So, I created this thread because I want to know how many (and who) on here actually attempts to lucid dream.
The poll at the top contains three sections, each separated by an otter and a duck.
I do.

This is the OFFICIAL thread to compare notes on lucid dreaming and discuss it. Booya.
Spoiler:

ItGoesSplat

Re: The Lucid Dreaming Thread!

Postby ItGoesSplat » Wed May 06, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

I've had one or two, but I haven't actively tried having them. They're an interesting experience, nonetheless.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Wed May 06, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

ItGoesSplat wrote:I've had one or two, but I haven't actively tried having them. They're an interesting experience, nonetheless.

Aye, same here.

They are quite fun to play in... with (which would I use here?)
I haven't tried to have them, I wouldn't really know about how to go about it really...

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

L33tsaber

Postby L33tsaber » Wed May 06, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

Eh, I'll have been trying off-and-on for three years when June rolls around. Success has been... minimal. There are random occasions where I'll think "Hey, this is a dream, isn't it?" but then I never manage to gain control. One of my biggest problems has always been that once I even sort of realize I'm dreaming, I also realize that I really need a bathroom, so I have to wake up.

evilbobthebob

Postby evilbobthebob » Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

I've had a few lucid dreams. The strangest was the one where I repeatedly told everyone in the dream that it was a dream, and they just ignored me while I wondered how I was going to get out of it. :)

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

I hate my lucid dreams, they're always the ones I die in and never the good ones.
Also for some reason they only occur when I don't try to have them and never when I'm even slightly stressed.
Signatures are for chumps.

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Wed May 06, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

I occasionally take a stab at it. They only happen occasionally, and when I'm not trying. I'm usually able to do something unusual. I've flown (multiple times) with varying degrees of control, I've pointed at a light and made it turn on with a simple verbal prompt, and I've become invincible. However... I've yet to change the environment more than the lighting, and I have a difficult time willing away dream characters. Why, the most recent dream had a monster that got me and forced me to wake up. Abandon ship, eh?
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

Feer

Postby Feer » Wed May 06, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

I had one lucid dream, I just fell asleep on the couch and realized that I was in a dream. I had read about lucid dreaming before so I decided to test if I could do whatever I wanted and so it happened, just not as realistic as I had hoped. When I woke up, I was feeling fatigue and a slight out-of-place experience, so I've decided from now on to not pursue any more of them.
AngrySquirrel <3

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Thu May 07, 2009 12:17 am UTC

I got into lucid dreaming a while back, during high school (did my term paper on it!), and I used to pe pretty good at it, but then senior year came and destroyed my sleep schedule, and I've only been able to have a few since then, most of them not very eventful. I always found it relatively easy, especially once I got into the habit, because my dreams tend to be way vivid. I've done flying (thought really extended jumping seems to come easier), sticking my hands through solid objects (awesome), and various other things, though I do tend to have trouble with controlling lights. I've even got a few recurring characters.

Can you tell this is one of my favorite things to talk about? ;) Let's keep this thread going, maybe it'll help me get back in the habit.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Thu May 07, 2009 12:48 am UTC

I've done it a few times before. I actually discovered it accidentally when I exerted my mind to avoid a bad dream when I saw one coming, and then did it 3 times in a row. I meditate and can hypnotize myself (and probably others), so I think I could do it if I tried, but as of yet haven't.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu May 07, 2009 4:47 am UTC

I don't remember the first time I lucid dreamed, but soon after I "trained" myself to have them. Usually it's when I hit a logic snag in a dream and become aware, then the lucid dreaming begins. I can pretty much do whatever I feel like doing, but I still have trouble visualizing things. Basically I can will up whatever I want (powered armor, jet packs, etc.), but they're usually invisible. Weird, 'cause I'm an artist and a fairly visual person. At least my invisible gadgets fully work inside dreams.

Fun things to do when lucid dreaming:
fly, visit space, dive deep into the ocean, climb a mountain and leap off, try out telekinesis, make things explode with your mind, have some "alone time" with a literal dream guy/girl (bow chicka wow wow), play with your pet lion/elephant/dragon/unicorn/whatever... The possibilities are endless!
...It made more sense in my head.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu May 07, 2009 6:57 am UTC

My favorite lucid dream was one where I stepped onto my balcony and all of a sudden I decided it would be cool to be a rock star. So I go a had a guitar appear, and a huge mass of people below and I completely rocked the hell out of the whole neighborhood. Since I don't play any instruments in real life, it was a very unique and awesome experience. Some other good ones were more... personal in nature :wink: . In a particularly funny one: I was flying and then got bored of it so I dove into the ocean and met a mermaid, at this point I thought it would be fun to make it into one of my 'personal' dreams, but couldn't figure out how to make that happen (with the fish bottom half and all) before I woke up.

Lucid dreaming is lots of fun, but my main problem is that I usually get too excited that I'm having one and wake up right away.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Mysidic

Postby Mysidic » Fri May 08, 2009 12:44 am UTC

I've never had a lucid dream before, but from what I've heard of it seems really interesting. I've started the habit of checking if I'm in a dream when I'm awake, but it hasn't worked so far. does xkcd have any other suggestions as to inducing lucid dreaming?
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Fri May 08, 2009 1:31 am UTC

Mysidic - my first suggestion would be to get really good at remembering your dreams. If you already are then you're in a good place, but if not it might help to write them down, or any little bits you remember, as soon as you wake up so you don't lose them.

Second is mainly a more complicated way of doing the check-if-you're-dreaming bit - once you get good at remembering your dreams, you'll start to notice what things come up or what especially weird things tend to happen a lot. I used to get a lot of stairs in mine, for some reason, so whenever it occurred to me that there were a lot of stairs showing up I would always do a check, and sometimes if I jumped I'd unexpectedly go about twenty feet into the air (this can work as a check too, but if people aren't expecting you to occasionally do an odd little hop you might get some strange looks).

Be patient. It'll probably take a while.

And if you get lucky and it works, stay calm and rub your hands together (I'm not entirely sure why this helps, but it does).

</giant ramble>

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri May 08, 2009 1:33 am UTC

There's already a thread for this, but this one has a poll so I can't really merge it. Just posting this to deter anyone from reporting it because it fits somewhere else. And next time, do a search before you make a new thread.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Mon May 11, 2009 6:33 am UTC

Wait, where's the other lucid dreaming thread? I only see one for general dreaming.
...It made more sense in my head.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon May 11, 2009 6:44 am UTC

LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Spot(X)Spot

Postby Spot(X)Spot » Wed May 13, 2009 12:47 am UTC

The irony lies in that; whenever I figure out I'm inside a dream, it only makes the dream freakier. Ah well, at least It kinda makes the nightmares more memorable. And that only means one thing, more intellectual property for me!
...is this real life?

obituary

Postby obituary » Wed May 13, 2009 12:53 am UTC

I started keeping a dream journal and doing the 'reality checks' but as of yet I only feel foolish checking to see if my hands go through each other.
hey. i like you. <3.

Dimetrodon

Postby Dimetrodon » Wed May 13, 2009 12:57 am UTC

Lucid dreams are fun. I feel like Neo in the Matrix, bending reality and all that.
I've ridden around a flaming pteranadon in a lucid dream. Awesome stuff.
Spoiler:

Fear my mammalian skull, my efficient heat-regulating sail, and my two rows of teeth.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 am UTC

I wish I could, but I lost my watch so I can't do reality checks.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed May 13, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

I've found that it's really easy to tell whether or not I'm dreaming. My brain doesn't simulate everything, and it seems to have a real problem with feeling in my lower extremities and whitenoise. I usually realize I'm dreaming when I notice something strange going on. However, stranger things (Such as broccoli lawyers) go unnoticed.

Jos

Postby Jos » Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Recently I've had a load of dreams that goes bu more or less the same pattern. It starts off with me doing something horrible with/to someone I care for and soon after that I... "wake in the dream" in search for a better word, realize what I've done; get scared shitless untill I realize it's just another dream.
This isn't a very nice experience, anyone have any thoughts as how to stop having it?
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

Voco

Postby Voco » Wed May 13, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

I have a hard time staying asleep once I realize I'm dreaming, and the effect is even worse if I try to change things. But I realize that I'm dreaming fairly often. A few things that I've noticed about dreaming:

-I apparently can't process more than a half-dozen or so characters at a time. I can have large mobs of people that act as a single unit, but no more than 5-7 individually autonomous actors will ever be present in my dreams at one time. This is one of the main ways I recognize I am dreaming, when a mall or beach or other normally highly-populated area is inexplicably empty.

-Despite one time reading that this was impossible on one of those lucid dreaming websites, I CAN read in dreams. But if I'm at the point that I've realized I need to test whether something is a dream, I'm already aware enough that the test is unnecessary.

-Often I am not a character in my dreams. Rather my dreams sometimes take place from an omniscient third person perspective, and several characters star.

-I do not breathe in dreams, and can always stay underwater indefinitely. Rarely does this alert me to the fact that I am dreaming.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed May 13, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

I often try to interpret my dreams when I wake up. A few times near the end of the dream I'll realise I'm dreaming and think to myself while I'm still asleep that I'll look up the components of the dream.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Thu May 14, 2009 2:06 am UTC

I tried to have lucid dreams while I was heavily into meditating. I once slipped into dreaming straight from waking and saw some green people.

Does lucid dreaming help with making regular dreams more clear? I can see through the symbols and characters in my dreams now. I also now have a thing that if a dream doesn't go right, I go back to the beginning and try again. I had one where my city was being nuked, so I was trying to get out of the downtown core. I kept on thinking "if it's already nuked, why am I alive?" so I kept replaying the dream.

Pseudoku

Postby Pseudoku » Thu May 14, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

Any Lucid dreams I have had usually ended with pathetic (and sometimes painful) attempts to wake myself up, but I always hold out for one where I'll realize the sort of control that comes with a harmless fantasy world, rather than just being terrified and pinching myself alot.

Apocrypha

Postby Apocrypha » Thu May 14, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

I absolutely LOVE lucid dreams.
Not to sound braggy or anything, but I do it every single night.
I can always tell when I'm dreaming, and I don't have to try or anything. As soon as it starts I just snap into it; I know I'm asleep, I know it's a dream, I can do absolutely anything I please, it's an incredible feeling.
I never practiced or tried or anything; it always came naturally to me. As I sleep, I think about what I'm going to do, what I did earlier, while watching the dream like a movie and twerking things so that they go as I please. I generally let things go and see what happens.
Except for words. Every time I read in dreams, the text either gets blurry after a short while or drifts away and when I bring it back it's either totally different or unrecognizable.

@Jos - The only way to really stop this is to do what others have said; try to find something that you can hold onto and recognize as a dream [[ex: flawed logic, logical paradoxes, recurring themes]] but there isn't a lot you can do until you realize it's a dream.
Of course, it sounds like you've already found your "grasp" [[what snaps you into semi-consciousness]], in which case you could start doing things you like afterward [[not sexythings per say, but anything that's calming/relaxing/happy]] and kind of associate that waking up with things you like, which may give you a new "grasp" if you do it long enough. Just a thought.
Life fears death, but lives only to die.
The only cure for this fear is total destruction.
In a world of nothing, fear does not exist.
This is the world that all life desires.

Hefty One

Postby Hefty One » Fri May 15, 2009 2:54 am UTC

Yea, a really good reality check is to read something, look away, and then read it again to see if it says the same thing. If you are in a dream, it won't.

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Sun May 17, 2009 12:53 am UTC

Hefty One wrote:Yea, a really good reality check is to read something, look away, and then read it again to see if it says the same thing. If you are in a dream, it won't.

I don't get enough text in my dreams for it to be particularly helpful, but it has worked for me once - went from being words, to other words, to a picture of Robin Williams' head. Unexpected, to say the least.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sun May 17, 2009 1:12 am UTC

I used to lucid dream whenever I had* dreams when I was younger... Which was about one every 5 nights. They were usually from logic flaws, or a very very interesting recurring themes/dreams documented below:
Spoiler:
Two big recurring ones, one that I can no longer remember but am sure that I had, and one where I'm in some sort of bizarre hall... not to go into details. Also, the prolonging of life was sometimes a theme.

Now I never dream*, and I haven't for a few years... The most recent ones I've had were of reading; I'd read a book some time within a few seconds of falling asleep, it would blend, and I'd continue to comprehend junk while asleep. Most of what I 'read' was incomprehensible filler text**, but I kept reading for whatever reason.

I might be able to make myself have one again tonight, but it seems that they might come best to me while in complete silence and darkness (dreams, that is.)

*or remembered them, whatever...
**not the best way to explain it...

EDIT
Though if we want to discuss the processes of it and not individuals' experiences, I might contribute.

It seems that once you realize that you're in a dream, everything else becomes irrelevant from before the lucidity.

For anyone that goes into such a realm, there should be a set of 'diagnostics' run on the environment, you know, categorizing what the world of others is like. What's the DPI? Gravity? Do I have normal mental abilities in my dream? If no, are they greater or lesser than normal?, etc., then keeping answers documented, seeing if they change from dream to dream... not sure how much you'd feel like doing calculus in a mystical land where you have free 'facilities' in anyone, can ignore gravity, and become omnipresent, though...

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Sun May 17, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

I have had one lucid dream in my life. I had been trying to but two nights before I had given up on the sleep preperations and research I was putting into it. Still though, in my dreams that night I was reality checking using my hand as a reference. Sat in a car with no floor and no chairs, staring at a hand with seven fingers which was attached to my wrist backwards, I came to the conclusion that things were still normal. Only when the car arrived at its destination did I check my hand again, to find that it looked perfectly normal; all but for a tiny freckle I didn't recognise. Noticing that freckle awoke me to the dream reality. Later, back in waking life, I learnt that my hand does actually have that freckle. And I've not had a lucid dream since. It lasted three minutes and I chose to fly around, failing at first; I crashed straight into the ground. But I remembered being on a discussion board about lucid dreams and people flying; there was a suggestion that "swimming" through the air would work. And sure enough, it did. It was a very enjoyable experience.

And I'm non-religious. I have theories for the existance of a god but I'm purely agnostic, not opting for the whole-hearted belief in anything.

Return to “General”