What made you feel incredibly stupid?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

scrovak

What made you feel incredibly stupid?

Postby scrovak » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

Today, yesterday, 1965, whenever you felt stupid, tell us why. I'll go first..

I was incredibly bored at work 10 minutes ago and was aimlessly staring at my keyboard. After 7 minutes of staring, I saw it. The reason Qwerty keyboards were named as such... :-/
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Re: What made you feel incredibly stupid?

Postby Babam » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

The fact that I still suck at Standardized Tests.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

After I forgot what an 'enumeration' is for in C++ while I was working on a project with my friend.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

once in class(troubleshooting no less), it took me an hour to realize the computer was not connected to the monitor.
418 I'm a teapot

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:24 am UTC

when i was about 10 i got into a heated argument with a fellow student; i insisted that "narrate" meant to de-sex, he claimed that i was wrong. it wasn't until the bus home that i realised "neuter" was the word i was thinking of and he was completely right.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:40 am UTC

I used to think that brb stood for BathRoom Break. One day I was on an IM and someone typed BRB and I though, "oh, Be Right Back... That's what it means, and has always meant. How did I miss that? "
Lucky for me, a couple years latter, the experience served as an interesting and humorous chounterpoint to the theory of functionalism in a philosophy of language class.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:35 am UTC

Two fun I'm-an-idiot stories, both involving sleep and half-awake logic.

First:
I use my cell phone as my alarm clock, I set it on vibrate. One particular night, I kept waking up because I thought I heard my phone vibrating. I would pick up my phone, but there was no call, message, or anything. I'd try to sleep, almost drift off, then the phone would buzz again. After four or five repetitions of this, I finally woke up enough to realize the sound I kept hearing was my roommate's sporadic snoring.

Second:
Once I was so tired, I took a nap at 6pm. I had set my alarm for a one hour nap, then passed out. When my alarm went off, I looked at the time and saw the sun setting. Thinking it was 7am, I thought, "I'm going to be late for class!" and began to prepare. I was halfway through brushing my teeth when I fully woke up and realized it was the evening, and that I had already finished my classes for the day. *sigh*
...It made more sense in my head.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:20 am UTC

I had the opposite problem once:
My alarm is really old, the "PM" and "Alarm" lights are just little LEDs, so I occasionally mix them up.
I set my alarm for something like 9 PM instead of 9 AM and grossly missed class.

Now I have a small back-up alarm that has better AM / PM distinction and is battery-powered only.
I've also become an adamant supporter of the 24-hour clock.

Of course, nobody sells 24-hour alarm clocks. There's evidently no market for them, I don't think I've even seen one that has it as an option. I'll check thinkgeek in a moment here.
But of the things we can do to rectify ancient, screwed-up traditions, switching from 12-hour to 24-hour is so simple, and yet so few people seem to do it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

If nothing else, if you go to the sort of stores that sell alarm clocks near military bases, you should be able to easily find ones with 24 hour options.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:Of course, nobody sells 24-hour alarm clocks. There's evidently no market for them, I don't think I've even seen one that has it as an option. I'll check thinkgeek in a moment here.
But of the things we can do to rectify ancient, screwed-up traditions, switching from 12-hour to 24-hour is so simple, and yet so few people seem to do it.

I have a 24-hour clock. It was at the first store I looked.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

I was teaching US History several years ago and during a lecture I told a class that Hemingway wrote "The Pearl". We were discussing famous artists and writers during the time, and I was trying to think of a novel the students would know that he wrote, and for whatever reason "The Pearl" popped in my head.

I never would have caught the mistake if I hadn't mentioned it, for reasons I don't recall, that evening with my wife (English professor) who had a freakout about the mistake. I told my class the next day of my error.

My wife still brings this up all the time.

Ixtellor

edit:EGADS I mispelled hemingway on the first try *double stupid*
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

In high school on three occasions, I got ready for school and waited outside for the bus a full hour before the bus normally comes, waited 20-30 minutes, realized how stupid I was being, then went back inside.

Yesterday on a math test I almost made a problem far more difficult than it was only to realize, after a good 10 minutes of setting up the problem, that 0 was not, in fact, between 1 and 2. >.<

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:(note: this does not apply to me)

The same cannot be said for me. >.>

acai

Postby acai » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:OHMYGOD LOL THE FIRST LETTER IN THE DISNEY CHANNEL LOGO IS A D
(note: this does not apply to me)

This does apply to me...
Douglas Adams wrote:In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

acai wrote:
sje46 wrote:OHMYGOD LOL THE FIRST LETTER IN THE DISNEY CHANNEL LOGO IS A D(note: this does not apply to me)
This does apply to me...
This applies to a lot of people here. I remember that discussion. Links will be forthcoming when I can.

*edit* Ha-ha! The Childhood Misconception Thread! Of course!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

I always got the D but thought the last letter of Disney was a P.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

Kyberely wrote:I always got the D but thought the last letter of Disney was a P.

GISNEP
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

I have used the 24-hour clock for years, definitely the better model, but it took a little time getting used to.
I'm always talking to people that don't want to, and saying things I shouldn't. I always wave when people aren't really waving to me. And sometimes when I am behind someone I mistake them for someone else.
Not to mention all the times I trip and fall down.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

Last year, I went to the hobby shop on Fridays to play Magic the Gathering. One day in maybe march, I bought myself a box. thats like $100.
Anyway, when my dad came to pick me up, I put it on the roof of the car s I was getting in, and forgot about it. It fell off in the middle of the street, and although I managed to collect them all, I still felt like an incredible idiot.

Daywraith

Postby Daywraith » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

Recently a user asked me to reset her email password because she had forgotten it, I said "Sure I will email the new password to you."

She just grinned at me, it took like 5 seconds before I realized the stupidy of my statement and we both started laughing.

I hate Monday mornings!

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

Um..
A couple of months ago, my class went on a field trip to SixFlags. In California. We're in Arizona.
Midnight, some people were still up.I was trying to conduct conversation and was only partially there.
I ended up babbling to myself hours after most went to sleep and was having a heated argument with road sounds.
And in the morning, I woke up being spoken to and realized I had been conversing in my sleep. I swore and fell back asleep.

Also:
I keep misspelling things because I keep expecting the keys to be where I want them to be..
See, I'm designing a keyboard layout that places the common keys right where I need them.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:03 am UTC

- years ago, the eureka moment when I realised Twinkle Twinkle Little Star had the same tune as ABC's...

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:01 am UTC

Riding my bike a couple blocks before realizing my helmet was still dangling from my backpack's shoulder strap. That was kinda durr.
Kyberely wrote:I always got the D but thought the last letter of Disney was a P.
This.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:04 am UTC

The other day, I was driving, and I was wondering why I couldn't see the dashboard (at night).

half-way to my destination, I realized I forgot to turn the lights :lol: .

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:51 am UTC

arcticfox.sq wrote:- years ago, the eureka moment when I realised Twinkle Twinkle Little Star had the same tune as ABC's...
You just blew my mind.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:55 am UTC

When I asked my friend how to do a question because there was only a standard z-transform for 1/(z - 1) but I had (shock horror!) 1/(z + 1)

I was kinda tired, but still made me feel pretty stupid. :/

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:03 am UTC

vslayer wrote:when i was about 10 i got into a heated argument with a fellow student; i insisted that "narrate" meant to de-sex, he claimed that i was wrong. it wasn't until the bus home that i realised "neuter" was the word i was thinking of and he was completely right.

I mixed up gerund and gamete once in 6th grade.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:31 am UTC

This actually happened today: I was getting gas and completely forgot my zip code. I gave up and went to pay for gas inside, where I almost ran off without signing the receipt thing they have you sign.

A few weeks ago I drove about 4 blocks without realizing my trunk was open.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:12 am UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:I mixed up gerund and gamete once in 6th grade.

In high school, I mixed up "gild" and "geld". Gild is to coat with a layer of gold. Geld is to castrate. After a few minutes, I suddenly realized why everyone was so horrified by my question about the Gelded Age.
...It made more sense in my head.

libellule

Postby libellule » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:22 am UTC

i_ll_winn wrote:I have used the 24-hour clock for years, definitely the better model, but it took a little time getting used to.
I'm always talking to people that don't want to, and saying things I shouldn't. I always wave when people aren't really waving to me. And sometimes when I am behind someone I mistake them for someone else.
Not to mention all the times I trip and fall down.

Separated at Birth?
My finest moment came when I was walking toward a person on the inner deck of a ship, sidestepped to let them by, stepped the other way when they followed my avoidance manoeuver, and again... until I found myself grinning at my reflection in a full-length mirror.

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:26 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:I had the opposite problem once:
My alarm is really old, the "PM" and "Alarm" lights are just little LEDs, so I occasionally mix them up.
I set my alarm for something like 9 PM instead of 9 AM and grossly missed class.

Now I have a small back-up alarm that has better AM / PM distinction and is battery-powered only.
I've also become an adamant supporter of the 24-hour clock.

Of course, nobody sells 24-hour alarm clocks. There's evidently no market for them, I don't think I've even seen one that has it as an option. I'll check thinkgeek in a moment here.

every alarm clock i've ever owned has always had a 24 hour function. not only does it help with the uncertainty of the little "am/pm" light, but ensures that i don't get 1200 and 2400 backwards. seriously, how the hell can 12pm come straight after 11.59am? it just doesn't make sense. we don't count 12-1-2-3.... so why would we make our clocks do so?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:31 am UTC

There was that moment of brilliant insight, 'round about the age of 25, when I realised that no, putting a wool coat on a brick will NOT make the brick warm up. >.<
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

libellule

Postby libellule » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:37 am UTC

Why were you trying to warm up the brick?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:41 am UTC

There was no brick, per se. I was standing in the cold entryway, reaching for my winter coat that had been chilling there all night. Lo, I put it on and I was still cold. I had the semi-lucid thought, "Coats are supposed to be warm, not cold."

That's when it hit me that I'd never explicitly changed my childhood notion that coats were inherently warm objects. I felt much stupid.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:30 am UTC

At least once a day I'll be looking for something random (remote, pen, note, etc) frantically for about 4 minutes just to realize I had it in my hand to begin with.

Or I'll walk into a room... and forget why I did. So I'll go back to where I came from and try to figure it out.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:55 am UTC

Oh I have a few of these.
Looking for my glasses when they are already on my face (I do this once every couple weeks actually)
Talking on xbox live only to find out half way through a map that my mic is off / unplugged
Chasing after a bus, making it stop for me, only to find out its the wrong one.

My brother has a good one. When he was little he thought that deaf and death were pronounced the same and asked very boldly in the middle of an English class, how you could tell what someone was talking about.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:10 am UTC

arcticfox.sq wrote:- years ago, the eureka moment when I realised Twinkle Twinkle Little Star had the same tune as ABC's...

Oh. My. God. It's. True.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:33 am UTC

I've had many and quite frequent incidents like this. This includes:
- Using a pen to put my hair in a bun the running around for half an hour to find, surprise surprise, something to write with,
- Looking at the new posters on the wall on the way to uni, only to get attacked time and time again by the same fucking tree that hangs down along the way.
- Washing all my clothes so I have a good choice of things to wear for a night out the next day, only to realise I forgot to wash my underwear / It's at night and the radiators are broken so there's no chance it'll dry / I put my tee-shirt that I spilt red ink on in with all my other whites...
- The Disney/Gisnep thing
- Lectures
- The moment I realised The Clash's "English Civil War", the American folk song "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and "The animals went on two by two" have the same tune

All this, though, is nothing compared to the faux pas my housmate made the other week:
We were in out uni's library with one of our friends. There is usually a bell that goes off ten and five minuites befor the library closes to tell everyone to get the hell out. My friend is from the West Midlands and so he pronounces "bell" the same way me and my housemate say "bowel". The conversation is as follows:
Friend: "Oh, it's 6 to closing. The bowel should go off soon."
Housemate: "The what?"
Friend: "The bowel? You know, you ring a bowel, it makes noise?"
Me: "Oh! A bell!"
Friend: "Yeah, a bowel"
Housemate: "Oh, honestly! You've got to learn to stop talking wrongly"

My housemate gets this brought up at least once a day now.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:15 am UTC

- Walking to the bus station every morning to catch the bus to college then realising that there is a bus to college that goes along the next street to me.
- On monday I was taking staples out of the wall using scissors and I put my thumb on the inside of them for leverege and I ended up slicing my thumb open. The stupid thing is that it is the third time I've done this in the last few weeks.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Return to “General”