What made you feel incredibly stupid?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sje46

Re: What made you feel incredibly stupid?

Postby sje46 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

rnew wrote:
arcticfox.sq wrote:- years ago, the eureka moment when I realised Twinkle Twinkle Little Star had the same tune as ABC's...

Oh. My. God. It's. True.

O.O

Wow.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

arcticfox.sq wrote:- years ago, the eureka moment when I realised Twinkle Twinkle Little Star had the same tune as ABC's...

Unfortunetely, This...

:-/
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

I thought everybody knew that they were the same tune :shock:
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

~ realising that someone had to mow my grass. i just kinda thought it never grew or something.
~ getting to my car an noticing that my gas tank was open, freaking, thinking someone stole my gas. realising i left it that way when i put the gas in.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

A few years ago I was washing up after food tech and the tap was taking a really long time to warm up. About ten minutes later I saw that I had been running the cold tap instead.
I read XKCD for over a year before realising that there was a forum. Sameish with Questionable content. It mentioned someting about a forum in the newspost but it took me a few days of searching (throught google) to find it a the side of the page.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:
vslayer wrote:when i was about 10 i got into a heated argument with a fellow student; i insisted that "narrate" meant to de-sex, he claimed that i was wrong. it wasn't until the bus home that i realised "neuter" was the word i was thinking of and he was completely right.

I mixed up gerund and gamete once in 6th grade.

In high school, I mixed up "gild" and "geld". Gild is to coat with a layer of gold. Geld is to castrate. After a few minutes, I suddenly realized why everyone was so horrified by my question about the Gelded Age.

One point in junior high, during a scholastic bowl practice, I managed to mix up "circumnavigate" and "circumsize". Yeah.

UnderRock wrote:Yesterday on a math test I almost made a problem far more difficult than it was only to realize, after a good 10 minutes of setting up the problem, that 0 was not, in fact, between 1 and 2. >.<

Oh lord, you have no idea how many math questions I missed in scholastic bowl because I said that 1 x 2 = 1....
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

Kyberely wrote:I thought everybody knew that they were the same tune :shock:

I've heard it before, but it's so trivial that I forgot it.
Now, for the second time, I've lost 10 bytes of storage that could have been used for learning machine-gun specs. Thanks a lot. Jerkbags. >:(

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

This can't be coincidence.
Who uploaded this onto textsfromlastnight? Just now

(318): dude! the alphabet song and twinkle twinkle little star are like the same tune
(1-318): what drug did you take to come to that conclusion??
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

I just looked at a 24-hour clock, and thought "Hey, it's 9 past 9" then I wondered why the TV program that ended at half past was wrapping up...I realised you don't take 12 off the minutes same as you do with the hours. It was 9:21.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:I just looked at a 24-hour clock, and thought "Hey, it's 9 past 9" then I wondered why the TV program that ended at half past was wrapping up...I realised you don't take 12 off the minutes same as you do with the hours. It was 9:21.
Wait, people take 12 off the hours of a 24 hour clock? I just look at it and go "Oh, it's half past nine."

My binary watch is 24 hour, and when I first got it I kept on reading the hours wrong. >.<
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

A slow day at work today, and I was nodding off at my desk having had too little sleep and too much beer the night before. The phone rang. I was the very image of slapstick comedy. I fumbled with the handset, put it to my ear and yelled "Hellowhoserewossgoinon *cough* Good morning, SlyReaper speaking - how can I help you?"

I have to say, joining this forum made me feel stupid. Specifically the maths forum; I got my maths degree last year and I still have no idea what people are talking about in there most of the time. :oops:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

Just an hour or so ago, I think I may have fallen for a scam. I called and tried to cancel the order, but I don't know whether they'll really honor it or not.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

icanus

Postby icanus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:07 am UTC

So I'm repairing the little wooden kennel we have in the garden for our cats (replacing the roof and front wall which had started to rot).

4 hours of carpentry in the blazing sun , and I'm all done. I step back to admire my work.

"hmm. I probably should have cut out the doorway, not just drawn it on in pencil."

I am now the proud owner of a 3' wooden cube and two confused and angry cats.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:20 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
rnew wrote:

Oh. My. God. It's. True.

O.O

Wow.

Hey guys.

Now sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep".

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:52 am UTC

icanus wrote:So I'm repairing the little wooden kennel we have in the garden for our cats (replacing the roof and front wall which had started to rot).

4 hours of carpentry in the blazing sun , and I'm all done. I step back to admire my work.

"hmm. I probably should have cut out the doorway, not just drawn it on in pencil."

I am now the proud owner of a 3' wooden cube and two confused and angry cats.

BAHAHAHA!

You built Box Boy a mate!
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Earlier today I started checking my pockets for my keys. I realized they weren't there and started looking around for them....

I then realized I had left them in the ignition an hour ago.

Lucky for me my car wasn't worth stealing.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:40 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
I have to say, joining this forum made me feel stupid.

This. I'm trying to learn physics this summer so I can figure out what on earth people are talking about.

guyy

Postby guyy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:56 am UTC

Kyberely wrote:A few years ago I was washing up after food tech and the tap was taking a really long time to warm up. About ten minutes later I saw that I had been running the cold tap instead.

I've done this dozens of times. Even when thinking about it consciously I often can't remember which tap is which. Maybe my memory isn't in binary.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:01 am UTC

The amount of times I've attempted to fry bacon on an cold hob...It's two, but I still felt pretty silly.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:48 am UTC

Whelan wrote:The amount of times I've attempted to fry bacon on an cold hob...It's two, but I still felt pretty silly.
I have tried to do lots on the stove, waiting ages, before realizing that it was still flicked off at the wall.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:37 am UTC

Lots of times I wake up, put my glasses on, then spend ten minutes looking for my glasses, only to realise when I turn the light on that I'm actually seeing in focus.

Also when you're hunting for something in the cupboard, only for you to realise it's front and centre of the middle shelf and so right in front of your eyes.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

Gojoe wrote:
Whelan wrote:The amount of times I've attempted to fry bacon on an cold hob...It's two, but I still felt pretty silly.
I have tried to do lots on the stove, waiting ages, before realizing that it was still flicked off at the wall.

This (among other things) is why electric cookers are shite. Whoever invented the electric oven needs someone to go back in time and brutally murder them; without them, we would all be happily cooking on gas, and I wouldn't have been fruitlessly hunting around town for a flat that has a gas oven. Apparently, such things don't exist in Bristol. (I might copy this to the rant thread later)

rnew

Postby rnew » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:This (among other things) is why electric cookers are shite. Whoever invented the electric oven needs someone to go back in time and brutally murder them; without them, we would all be happily cooking on gas, and I wouldn't have been fruitlessly hunting around town for a flat that has a gas oven. Apparently, such things don't exist in Bristol. (I might copy this to the rant thread later)
Oh so this.
Use flames people, it's how it was meant to be. Cooking on an electric hob in my university residences was the bane of my life.
Unless it's one of those fancy new induction hob's that you can put your hand on, use flames.
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

Agreed. SUre it's cooking, and cooking is cooking, to some people, but cooking with gas opposed to electric is like grilling with charcoal opposed to propane. You. Just. Have. To.

Also, being unable to find my hardhat for where I work, only to realize it had been perched atop my monitor the whole time.

(I searched for 4 hours :-/)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

rnew wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:This (among other things) is why electric cookers are shite. Whoever invented the electric oven needs someone to go back in time and brutally murder them; without them, we would all be happily cooking on gas, and I wouldn't have been fruitlessly hunting around town for a flat that has a gas oven. Apparently, such things don't exist in Bristol. (I might copy this to the rant thread later)
Oh so this.
Use flames people, it's how it was meant to be. Cooking on an electric hob in my university residences was the bane of my life.
Unless it's one of those fancy new induction hob's that you can put your hand on, use flames.

But I don't even have a choice. I'm renting, and every single place I've viewed that I can afford has an electric cooker. There's no way around it unless my landlady lets me bring in a camping stove or something (it's doubtful).

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

I bought a new phone last week and was watching TV today when I heard a song that I recognized. I thought 'Hey I love that song' and wondered what it was doing on an advert. It took somebody else to make me realise that it was my ringtone.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

(electric stoves)
Electric ranges aren't even real stoves. They're just glorified heating coils!

Related: Back when I lived in a dorm, the only available stove was electric. My parents gave me a small wok, figuring it would fit snugly in the space between the... prongs? Anyway, we figured it'd look kinda like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gas_stove.jpg Instead we got this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Glass_ceramic_cooktop.jpg I decided to try cooking on it anyway. For those of you who aren't familiar with woks, they usually have round bottoms. Which I stupidly put on a flat cooking surface. They also require fire for proper cooking.

What I didn't spill ended up a disgusting part-raw, part-overcooked mess with absolutely no wok hei. Stir-frying just doesn't work on electric stoves.
...It made more sense in my head.

rnew

Postby rnew » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

fyrenwater wrote:Stir-frying just doesn't work on electric stoves.
And stir-frys are an essential dish. Therefore fire FTW

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

Kyberely wrote:I bought a new phone last week and was watching TV today when I heard a song that I recognized. I thought 'Hey I love that song' and wondered what it was doing on an advert. It took somebody else to make me realise that it was my ringtone.
My made my ring tone the same noise that msn uses when you get a message (bah dunk). I had to change it because of the amount of times it has confused the hell out of me.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

medlii

Postby medlii » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

Today I realized that pacemakers aren't actually some kind of blood pump that fixes someone's heart... they do just what their name implies- basically, regulating the heartbeat when the body's controls break down.

There are some good stories in this thread. I'm glad to realize that everyone on these forums aren't always geniuses.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:32 am UTC

When I didn't know that the periods where flipped today so I slept in thinking I was missing my exempted gym final when I ended up missing my math final and getting a forced 1 on it. :C
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

d0nk3y_k0n9

Postby d0nk3y_k0n9 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:59 am UTC

My headset for my computer (I use it for various games, etc.) has a mute button. When it's muted, the button lights up red so you notice it, and the thing the button is on has a clip so you can put it somewhere accesible. Of course, the mic also automatically mutes itself any time you change the settings for it or switch programs that use it. This results in long conversations that the other person can't hear whenever I switch chats or channels. However, the funniest part for anyone that can hear me is probably the fact that I usually end up repeating, word for word, whatever I just said as soon as I unmute the mic.

acai

Postby acai » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:22 am UTC

Have you ever not understood what someone was saying in mid-conversation so you just nodded your head and smiled like nothing happened?
Yea, well, more often than not they end up asking a question about said topic and I'm left floundering in the dark.

"Yea, I really don't like the way insert gibberish sounding words here. It really irks me. Have you ever omigawshwhatdidtheysay?"

"Oh, uhm...yea! ...maybe."
Douglas Adams wrote:In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:35 am UTC

I've often seen computer guys jokingly write something like "idiots^H^H^H^H^H^Husers", and I figured the joke here was that some old computer would actually insert a backspace character into the text (which would appear as ^H on other machines) instead of deleting. I could never figure out how the less common variation "idiots^Wusers" fit into that though. Just today I realized I was completely wrong. Ctrl+H and Ctrl+W are VI commands for backspace character and backspace word. :oops:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

zaqwithaq

Postby zaqwithaq » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:04 am UTC

*I often walk away forgetting my change when i pay for something...
*the point when i realized you drink DIET soda when you are on a DIET....duh... (3rd grade)
*very is not spelled with an "A" (5th grade)
^the fact that my friend doesn't let me live this down
Spoiler:

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:27 am UTC

I was drinking and was convinced that the street that I live on was called rofl's drive...I was so certain of it at the time...told one of my good friends all about it...he knew the name of my street...Months later I suddenly realized "What the fuck was I thinking?!"

Spoiler:
I live on rolf's drive

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:45 am UTC

Similar to the OP's anecdote: I was a university student by the time I figured out why Subway restaurants have pictures of the New York subway system on their walls.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:16 am UTC

Once in primary school I mixed up the words "lesbian" and "Caesarean". That resulted in a really odd conversation with a group of giggling older girls, who seemed to find it really amusing that "there was no way to know whether you'd need to have a lesbian" and "it all depended on the kind of pregnancy complications you had".
Last edited by GraphiteGirl on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:40 am UTC

I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this one. Whenever I have a conversation or debate with someone. About 5 minutes after the conversation has ended and we have parted ways, I think of the world's best riposte. "Damn I wish I'd said that earlier!"

This is part of why I like forums. You have plenty of time to think up witty ripostes.

Another one I just thought of: back in college, I was insisting to a friend that subtracting factorials could be simplified thus: n! - m! = n*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*(n-m+1). It took a good ten minutes for him to convince me I was mistaken, and that I was in fact thinking of division rather than subtraction. :oops:

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:52 am UTC

I'm teaching English for the summer, and yesterday I had a meeting with the other teachers to discuss the roster of classes. When we had all of our classes sorted out, the guy in charges says, "All right, well classes start Monday. I'll be helping kapojinha out with the first few classes, but other than that, we're good to go!" Apparently, I need "help" -- that I didn't even ask for. I think that that either has to do with the fact that I'm the only female teacher, or that I am, by far, the youngest teacher. I'm still torn between feeling like an idiot and being pissed off.
Last edited by kapojinha on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

Return to “General”