[SAFESPACE] POLL: Are you religious?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Are you religious?

I believe in god and practice most/all things required by my religion.
13%
I believe in god but don't practice my religion so much or at all.
12%
I don't believe in god.
62%
Otter/duck.
13%

Total votes: 463

Wednesday

Re: POLL: Are you religious?

Postby Wednesday » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:
fyrenwater wrote:I believe in a higher power, but not one like the Judeo-Christian God. More like karma or a neutral law of nature than a sentient being that watches over everything.

In terms of religion, I don't really even have one. Lotsa stuff that's more tradition than anything else, but no organized "follow these to get into Heaven" religion.

Very much this, myself. I'm sort of a hodge podge of different ideas from very, very different religions. I'm very much Agnostic, but believe in and practice a great deal of Paganism. I get looked down on a lot for this, but also Laveyan Satanism. The moral code (basically the opposite of the seven cardinal sins) is very much how I live my life, although I'm sure I interpret it differently and in a much more relaxed manner than it was intended.

Wow, so a lot about a teenager can change in four years. AS IT TURNS OUT. Holy crap I was selfish. I mean, I still like sinning, but damn I did not understand what I was talking about...
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: [SAFESPACE] POLL: Are you religious?

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

So, your friendly casual reminder - this is a safespace.

So ..that thing where you start tearing other people's thoughts and opinions apart?

Yeah. Don't do that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

philsov wrote:In your scenario, you're begging the question. Someone made a large enough computer. So obviously, yes.
Yes, in this case I'm begging the question. However, even in this case, to the beings inside the computer, it must be an act of faith. There is no way for them to discern the truth, nor to discern truth from falsehood when it is revealed to them. Nor do the components of the actual outside world make any difference to their inside world. Mac, PC, pile of rocks, it's a question whose answer, on at least one deep fundamental level, does not matter.

I answered atheist (no evidence, nothing in my observation that requires a Creator to explain). But I think the question (is there a god, or anything for that matter, outside our universe) is really unanswerable in principle.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

I am extremely religious, but despite this being a safespace, don't feel all that comfortable discussing it here. However, I will say I have spent my entire life studying the Bible and its prophecies and I have found no contradictions and learned so much that convinces me that God is real and has inspired the Bible.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:33 am UTC

I have always had trouble with whether or not to believe. I would really like to believe in something, especially a loving God, but I can't. I am broken; I'm not trying to get into a discussion on depression, but I feel broken, and I have since I was old enough to understand what that feeling meant. So the way I see it, either God exists, and made a defective (which would make it a God not worth worshiping, IMO), or God doesn't exist, and I'm just fucked.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:45 am UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:I have always had trouble with whether or not to believe. I would really like to believe in something, especially a loving God, but I can't. I am broken; I'm not trying to get into a discussion on depression, but I feel broken, and I have since I was old enough to understand what that feeling meant. So the way I see it, either God exists, and made a defective (which would make it a God not worth worshiping, IMO), or God doesn't exist, and I'm just fucked.

Gives WibblyWobbly some superglue.

I'm agnostic... so... otter/duck?

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:42 am UTC

If you're an agnostic theist, otter is really your only option (unless you're a theist who doesn't follow an Abrahamic religion). If you're an agnostic atheist (or a member of the afore-mentioned non-Abrahamic religions), then 'I don't believe in god' covers it.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

addams

Postby addams » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:07 am UTC

Zen Buddhist, Polly Pantheist, here.

I think.
I think God, Gods, Saints, Devils and the whole frightening and delightful Pantheon are Psychological Archetypes.
Very useful and entertaining.

Who is Real? Donny Trump or Thor?
I have never seen Donny Trump.
He might be real.
The TV says he is Real Creepy.

Thor? He is not Creepy.
Not a God to fuck around with.
But; Not creepy.

I have not been keeping up with the Gods.
I forget who is who, sometimes.

Thor is a God that Gets things done.
Like a BlackSmith.

He needs heat; The Flash of Plasma.
He applies force; The Boom!

It seems to make sense.
More sense than Donny Trump does.

Apollo? I love that one.
I think of Apollo as the Young Intellectual.

Pray to Apollo? If you had done the project as Apollo would have done the project;
You would not need to pray.
Apollo would stay calm and do the work in a timely unhurried manor.

Apollo does not need to Rush.
He is a God.
He always does his best and it is always Good Enough.

Do you need a God for those days when you could Not get your shit together?
What happened, Baby?

Well; I have heard there are Good Gods and not so good Gods.
Gremlins? Do you have Gremlins?

Broken windows? Vandals? Gremlins and Vandals are the same thing? Maybe.
What can you do about the Gremlins? Look to another God? What kind?

Something simple.
First; Clean Up. Kitchen God helps give a person strength to clean up Broken Glass.

Maybe a bit of Old Chinese Fung Sui.
A nice Blue planter by the gate holding decorative yellow grass and a scented herb.
Can't hurt and Might help.

Zen? That Religion is not a Religion;
It is a Joke.

Comic relief as the Lightening Cracks and Thunder Rolls off in the distance.
Comic relief as I clean up more broken glass.
Comic relief? It's not always funny.

Gods? Sure. I have some.
You want some? It's OK.

They belong to All of us.
You can mix and match or walk around Naked.

Heroes and Villans.
We live in a very busy world.
We have new heroes and new villains every few days.

You can have them, too;
If you want.

Why do Americans worship Donny Trump and the Tarts on the Nightly News?
They don't seem to have much depth nor much to offer.

They never humble themselves. Never.
Is that Why? Everyone wants a God that is Powerful and never frail?

Thor is never frail.
He does take a lot of time off.
Lazy?

Did your mother tell you Thor was lazy?
The Sun was called lazy in a song from long ago.
The Sun is Not lazy. It is busy, even while we sleep.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:49 am UTC

addams, you make me really curious what you voted. Would you mind telling us?

Aside: as I said before I voted "don't believe in god", but I'd really prefer to vote "agnostic" if there was the option. I think I have insufficient reason to believe in deities or other supernatural things, so I don't, but I know I can't rule out the possibility. I also believe the world is special enough without them. I do like the "story telling" perspective to religion which you find in e.g. Life of Pi. I recognise a similar perspective in addams' post above.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

beojan

Postby beojan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:36 am UTC

yurell wrote:If you're an agnostic theist, otter is really your only option (unless you're a theist who doesn't follow an Abrahamic religion). If you're an agnostic atheist (or a member of the afore-mentioned non-Abrahamic religions), then 'I don't believe in god' covers it.

Not really. I'm a Roman Catholic, so I chose the first option, but while I strongly believe God exists, I also don't know God exists, so in that sense count myself as agnostic. Hence, I consider myself an agnostic theist, and consider the first option to be the best match, since it only states that I believe in God, not that I know that God exists.

I consider the two questions "Does God exists (and what is His nature, etc)?", and "To what extent can question 1 be answered?" to be separate questions, whose answers need not have any correlation.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:53 am UTC

yurell wrote:If you're an agnostic theist, otter is really your only option (unless you're a theist who doesn't follow an Abrahamic religion).

which option would you pick for an agnostic polytheist? For example, I believe that it is likely that some gods exist, but I don't believe that most of Them are worthy of worship. Given the choices available in the poll, "Otter/duck" is the only one that makes sense to me.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 am UTC

eran_rathan wrote:which option would you pick for an agnostic polytheist? For example, I believe that it is likely that some gods exist, but I don't believe that most of Them are worthy of worship. Given the choices available in the poll, "Otter/duck" is the only one that makes sense to me.

That's why I added:
yurell wrote:If you're an agnostic atheist (or a member of the afore-mentioned non-Abrahamic religions), then 'I don't believe in god' covers it.

The statement isn't phrased 'I don't believe in a god', but 'I don't believe in god', which makes me think that it's a proper noun that is simply lacking the capital letter (i.e. the Abrahamic god). If you believe in Him and believe in other gods, then either of the first two as appropriate.

That's how I'd fill it out, though; to each their own.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Vinleg

Postby Vinleg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

I personally believe in a higher-power (being God, as a christian myself). Do note however, that i believe in evolution and scientific studies that are mainly accepted by the society.

I think that religion, while i can only speak as a christian, doesn't have to contradict science. While a lot of people are tormented to choose either a scientific way of thinking or a religious one, i try to find a link that would make them co-exist, while also being aware that science can also be as accurate as our logical mind can comprehend. I think it's perfectly fine to believe in both science and religion, although they might clash and seemingly contradict, such as the evolutionism and creationism debate.

In fact, I thin it dangerous for one to assume one over the other in a rush without doubting really :P

Anyhow, it's only imho

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Is there a personal god watching over us? I'm pretty sure there isn't.
Is there any other kind of god? Sure, there could be, but I don't necessarily believe there is one, and it's also mostly irrelevant.
Guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't believe in any god whose existence has any effect on my/everyone else's life.
I have no problem identifying as an atheist.

Vinleg

Postby Vinleg » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:27 am UTC

teenidle wrote:Is there a personal god watching over us? I'm pretty sure there isn't.
Is there any other kind of god? Sure, there could be, but I don't necessarily believe there is one, and it's also mostly irrelevant.
Guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't believe in any god whose existence has any effect on my/everyone else's life.
I have no problem identifying as an atheist.

would you still define it as a higher power if it has no effect on anyone's life? let alone calling it god, and what do you mean by personal god?

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Queue wrote:I think that an excellent question would be, "Does any description of any observable part of the physical universe require a creator?".

I do have to wonder though, is necessity a requirement? Humans and human consciousness aren't a necessity for the universe yet, despite that, here we are.

In the end, I think the question is unanswerable. The 'general' definition of "god" is a being which is absolute and almighty. Such a deity transcends what we'd describe as "reality". The very definition of God makes it unable to be disproven, because, by definition, it's above any method you'd use to do so.

But something that can't be disproven cannot necessarily be proven, either. So I suppose in the end we have to wait. And that what I'm content to do.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Humans are totes necessary for "a description of any observable part of the physical universe" though. The humans part.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:21 am UTC

doogly wrote:Humans are totes necessary for "a description of any observable part of the physical universe" though. The humans part.

Just typed out a longer version of this before you went all ninja!
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:25 am UTC

Vinleg wrote:would you still define it as a higher power if it has no effect on anyone's life? let alone calling it god, and what do you mean by personal god?

I mean pretty much what the wikipedia article says about it.
And: I dunno, I wouldn't, but maybe some people would? The people that argue that something must have created the universe? (To which I say fine, but he's not telling me what to do. Something may or may not have created the universe. Whatever. That's not why I roll my eyes at Christians.)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

I used to need a very bizarre option not present in the poll. "I don't believe in god but practice most/all things required by my religion." Ok, well maybe that overstates it a bit. I was raised very religious from a young age, but through divorce one side of my family (the one I didn't live with) stayed this religious while other other side experienced a slow decline into a less strict, less frequent observance. My siblings and I were all quite young when this happened, but being the oldest, I tried to keep the observance more than my younger siblings (or my mom who we lived with). So I was in this weird situation where I wouldn't say I practiced most/all things required by my religion most of the time, but when I did practice, I general did it according the more strict customs. Sort of like bi-polar religiousness, either very religious or barely at all. This internal hypocrisy was hard for me to reconcile, but it forced me to think a lot about what I really believed.

Add to that, I don't think I really believed in god, at least not in all the ways the religion told me I should. I probably would have described myself as agnostic, believing there was some higher power/creator but not believing that the bible was his divine decree. I didn't believe that even if god did exist that he interacted in our live/world, at least not in any way we could know definitively and observing any particular set of rules (religion) to please him was a waste of time without any proof that this religion was the right one. I believed that outcomes would appear as random regardless of which religion I followed, or none, so I might as well spend my limited time on this earth doing other things besides praying that did have observable positive effects on my happiness.

Yet, despite all that reasoning, I was still observant at times because it made me feel better in an irrational way. Doing the things I was taught as a child felt right and disobeying them felt wrong. I really resent my religion (really all religion) for brainwashing me when I was young and vulnerable to have this internalized guilt about not following religious rules, even if rationally I don't believe in them anymore. In the last year, as I've read more, I've made up my mind that god actually does not exist, though I never really thought god had an effect on my life before so the difference doesn't really matter much. But being willing to label myself as Atheist has helped to allow myself to fight some of my guilt and do the things I want to do instead of just the things I felt I'm supposed to do. It's still tough for me to give up familiar traditions and practices and turn my back on a culture that feels comfortable due to the bond of shared experience.

Return to “General”