Origami (Will fold for food)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LLCoolDave

Origami (Will fold for food)

Postby LLCoolDave » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

I may be a total failure at searching, but it seems like there is no Origami thread on the whole forum which definitely surprises me. Couldn't think of a better board to place this.

In any case, I'm personally a fan of modular origami because I like the inherent symmetry in the models as well as the visible connection between art and mathematics. I folded most of my models back in 2006 but have just recently picked up the hobby again because I was in desperate need for some presents. I had the goal of building models of all archimedean solids once but there are some I couldn't find suitable units for yet and others that looked a bit too big to tackle back then. This is a project I'd like to finish some day, though, but I'm not sure if I will.

My two favorite peices are a truncated truncated icosahedron made from jitterbug units
Spoiler:

and a Torus made from 105 PHiZZ units which I just today finished another copy of
Spoiler:

Check out http://thps3.net/Origami/ for most of my collection, my more recent work were mostly duplicates of models displayed there.

And with that, I don't really know what else to add for a first post. Any other folders out there?

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Re: Origami (Will fold for food)

Postby Zeroignite » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

I made a torus from PHIZZ units once. A really, really big one!

It ended up being about 4 feet across, with some 500-odd units. I was mostly assembling, while my compatriots folded units. I'm just really disappointed that the guy with the camera never sent me the pictures :( .

Not mine, but equivalent:
Spoiler:
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:10 am UTC

I also like the modular stuff, and have a bunch of both electronic and paper copies of things.

I've also started trying to get into 'tesselation origami' which is really cool. Flickr has a lot of it.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:20 am UTC

Holy shit that's insane. And here I was thinking all origami was just a bunch of swans, birds, and frogs.

Subliminity
needs friends

Postby Subliminity » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Hellz yeah, origami! I rule at it...:D

Tessellation origami is really cool...it takes a lot of practice to master though. Modular origami is my favorite right now.

I've made one of these before, too, and it took forever: (Not mine)

samk

Postby samk » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:07 am UTC

Any working killer robots made of tinfoil? :D

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:40 am UTC

Like we'd tell you.

L.B.

Postby L.B. » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:07 am UTC

I am amazed. Amazed and very, very confused.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:09 am UTC

I made this one flower once, took forever. Its made up on hundreds of little flowers. Ill make some of the little ones and post them.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:26 am UTC

I made a boulder once, but thats it...

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:27 am UTC

Wadded up a piece of paper or two?

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:27 am UTC

I was teased by a teacher in high school for my inability to properly fold paper. I wish I was kidding about that.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:28 am UTC

@horisustar: yup =]

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:29 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:I was teased by a teacher in high school for my inability to properly fold paper. I wish I was kidding about that.

Aw :( Im sorry. Teachers are sometimes just as bad as students.

@rath- knew it.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:51 am UTC

I don't have the patience for modular origami, nor do I have the time to learn patience. Some day though... I will raze a forest to build something amazing. Maybe.

Also - horisustar - Rhode Island, really? Nice to know there are more of us here. I have never heard of your location, but I'm an import to this state, so there are many places I've never heard of.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:54 am UTC

All I know how to make are cranes.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Parkaboy- Yay! Whereabouts are you? Ive lived here forever so I doubt I havent heard of your location. Im in Portsmouth, more specifically.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:10 am UTC

as long as we are discussing locations, upsilon, fellow Wisconsinite, from which locality do you hail?

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:26 am UTC

horisustar wrote:
ParanoidAndroid wrote:I was teased by a teacher in high school for my inability to properly fold paper. I wish I was kidding about that.

Aw :( Im sorry. Teachers are sometimes just as bad as students.

Haha, it was all in fun. I wish that I was kidding about my folding skills.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:45 am UTC

Yay for origami! I've been folding for as long as I can remember, though in the past few years I haven't been practicing too much. However, two models that I make a lot of (mostly because they're the coolest-looking models that I can do) are the dragon (the one by Charles Esseltine) and the teddy (by Marc Kirschenbaum) from origami.com. I've never been too big of a fan of making modular origami, just because of how increasingly frustrating it gets to interlock the pieces, with that final piece never wanting to interlock with the rest of the model. Still, the end result can be so amazing! (Such as the models you guys posted!)

I'm amazed at how someone can come up with their own model, though! I mean when was the last time you looked at a sheet of paper and thought, "Wow! This would make a great teddy bear!" I can't even begin to imagine the thought-process that goes into making original designs! (Though I'm sure origami schools would help.)

(Also, sorry for blatant typos/grammar errors--I'm pretty tired at the moment.)

LLCoolDave

Postby LLCoolDave » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:26 am UTC

Zeroignite: The size of the models I make are pretty much limited by the sheet size I use. I'm currently using 9x9 cm sheets which would end up with enormouse builds when using 400 or 500 units. If I decided to cut down on paper sheet I have trouble interlocking the PHiZZ units, the paper I use is too thick then (or I'm just too clumsy, I don't know. I can't for the life of me build plane intersections properly, either). Besides the obvious downside of folding for several hours to get enough units. The largets single piece I build was the two torii from 105 Units. I might want to build a 270 Unit Buckyball once, but I am not sure that these unit sizes the paper is stable enough to support itsself. I'm afraid it might give in to gravity, an issue that was almost happening to my truncated trunacted icosahedron, which only has the weight of 60 sheets (but those aren't linked in a particularly strong manner).

Last night I stumbled upon the gyroscope, which is basically an octahedron build from units that consist of a square base put on top of a waterbomb base. A pretty simple thing but the result looks pretty nice, even though it's a real bitch to interlock in the end. In any case, I also built a cuboctahedron from it and I'm fairly certain it should be well suited for finally building a rhombicuboctahedron, crossing one more archimedean solid off my list. I tried making a pentagon from them but that totally failed, so the rhombicosidodecahedron is still out of question. I guess I could build one from curler units, but then you don't really see the shape of it all too properly. I'll try to get pictures up later.

Subliminity: I can't even begin to figure out what that structure actually is. It's an interlocked mess, but it is immensly impressive.

Edit: As promissed, pictures:

Things built from the newly found gyroscope unit:
Spoiler:

And the making of the torus:
Spoiler:

Excuse the poor cam, I don't have access to a better one right now.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

I recently found an origami flapping crane that I made in high school. I decorated a room in my house with an Asian theme, so I put it in there. I tried a couple of the origami.com instructions, but kept getting confused as to what they were trying to tell me to do. I may try again later. If I have an aptitude for this, I'll have to grab some of the big plotter paper from work. It comes in rolls about 4 feet wide, so a square of that would make something impressive.

parkaboy - Do you remember trying to teach me D&D last year with Zerosum and a few others? I'm 6'4", glasses, long hair. I'm from the same island as horisustar (hi), but one town over. The third town on this island is Newport, which is where Bob Dylan went electric and pissed of all those hippies, so some out-of-staters have heard of it. The only RI towns I'd heard of before moving here were Woonsocket, because I band I like was from there, and Providence.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:I recently found an origami flapping crane that I made in high school. I decorated a room in my house with an Asian theme, so I put it in there. I tried a couple of the origami.com instructions, but kept getting confused as to what they were trying to tell me to do. I may try again later. If I have an aptitude for this, I'll have to grab some of the big plotter paper from work. It comes in rolls about 4 feet wide, so a square of that would make something impressive.

parkaboy - Do you remember trying to teach me D&D last year with Zerosum and a few others? I'm 6'4", glasses, long hair. I'm from the same island as horisustar (hi), but one town over. The third town on this island is Newport, which is where Bob Dylan went electric and pissed of all those hippies, so some out-of-staters have heard of it. The only RI towns I'd heard of before moving here were Woonsocket, because I band I like was from there, and Providence.

DUDE! Someone from the same island as me, on xkcd? Crazy.

On topic- So I've realized I'm much better at using Japanese instructions, so I really can't read anything they're trying to get me to do. The pictures are enough, but english words confuse me half the time. Where do you all find your paper? The stuff I generally get is cut poorly and messes me up.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

The few instructions i've looked at have been mostly image or image only. It's just that I'll be going along OK and have no idea how they got from fig 6 to fig 7. Or, fig 3 will show folding the paper into fourths, and fig 4 will appear to show it folded in thirds. I did manage to successfully follow the instruction to unfold my copy of the new Spinal Tap CD into the display and "action figures" so maybe I'm not completely hopeless.

I've been cutting my own paper. A few months ago, I finally went through my college notebooks and handouts. I put anything that might be useful into binders and am using the rest for scrap. Once I've got a few designs I like down, I may buy some good paper and redo them.

I'm not sure where to buy it, but the Barnes & Noble plaza in Middletown on 114 might have some. I'm pretty sure I've seen origami kits at B&N, but they're mainly instruction books with a few sample pieces of paper. A few doors down is a craft store called Michael's, which may have some. If not, the brick building just north of the plaza has an educational toy store. I forget the name, but its door faces the B&N parking lot.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:16 am UTC

Whoa! This looks highly interesting, really makes my hands itch. Any good beginners guides? Guess i'll go check out that origami.com.
So glad to meet you, Angeles

Subliminity
needs friends

Postby Subliminity » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:22 am UTC

@ FearOfTheDomo-Kun:

I would recommend going to your nearest major bookstore and get a good, thick origami book to start out with.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:32 am UTC

Subliminity wrote:I would recommend going to your nearest major bookstore and get a good, thick origami book to start out with.

Just be sure to fold it in a way that you can still read the instructions? :wink:

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:The few instructions i've looked at have been mostly image or image only. It's just that I'll be going along OK and have no idea how they got from fig 6 to fig 7. Or, fig 3 will show folding the paper into fourths, and fig 4 will appear to show it folded in thirds. I did manage to successfully follow the instruction to unfold my copy of the new Spinal Tap CD into the display and "action figures" so maybe I'm not completely hopeless.

I've been cutting my own paper. A few months ago, I finally went through my college notebooks and handouts. I put anything that might be useful into binders and am using the rest for scrap. Once I've got a few designs I like down, I may buy some good paper and redo them.

I'm not sure where to buy it, but the Barnes & Noble plaza in Middletown on 114 might have some. I'm pretty sure I've seen origami kits at B&N, but they're mainly instruction books with a few sample pieces of paper. A few doors down is a craft store called Michael's, which may have some. If not, the brick building just north of the plaza has an educational toy store. I forget the name, but its door faces the B&N parking lot.

I live less that 15 miles from you, tops. AndI've lived here for 15 years. I know the plaza quite well, and no, the stuff I generally get is from B&N and is still cut shittily.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:01 am UTC

I thought origami was just making stuff from one sheet of paper with no cuts or glue/tape?

Meh, screw the rules. This stuff is awesome. Someone should make an origami mobius strip!
...It made more sense in my head.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:23 am UTC

I'm not too into the modular origami.
But currently, I am making a multi-part paper project, designing from scratch.
It's highly based on origami, but there is some gluing.
I'm making a bellows camera.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:I thought origami was just making stuff from one sheet of paper with no cuts or glue/tape?

There isn't any glue or tape involved in any of those.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

The entire idea of "modular origami" is that it's made out of multiple modules, in fact. Usually the modules are identically folded.

Personally I did a whole lot of modular origami back in primary school, but not really recently. I'll see if I can find any to post.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Double post because I took some pictures. Keep in mind that these are the ones that have survived for many years >.<

Spoiler:
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1173.jpg (416.02 KiB) Viewed 9936 times
IMG_1174.jpg
IMG_1174.jpg (441.85 KiB) Viewed 9933 times
IMG_1176.jpg
IMG_1176.jpg (391.54 KiB) Viewed 9922 times

And yes, that is a mostly functional box. The bottom will unfold or tear if you put anything heavy in it, though.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

gercunderscore4

Postby gercunderscore4 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:58 am UTC

I started folding cranes because of an episode in an anime I watch (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig episode 15: Affection) where a character folded cranes with one hand on a table.
With all the spare time I have in math classes, I kept making cranes. I have a string of a thousand (no wish). I've folded many more than that.
I use letter size paper, I fold it into quaters, then fold it diagonally at a forty-five degree angle (line up the sides) and cut off the excess.
I've learned to fold with one hand, no solid surface to fold it on and without looking. It takes ten to twenty minutes.
My latest project is calculating where all the folds go on an unfolded piece of paper.

WaterToFire

Postby WaterToFire » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 am UTC

I see that modular origami is very popular here. I've only done a little of it myself, but I wholly support it in concept.

What do you folks think of Robert Lang's work? I have a number of his books, including Origami Design Secrets. Has anyone tried designing models using the guidelines there? I haven't yet gotten around to doing that.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

@LLCoolDave, zeroignite, Subliminity, toeofdoom: holy crap, I can't even make proper cranes. Apparantly if you make 1000 of them and string them together you get a wish.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

I've never really understood why someone would go through the trouble of making A THOUSAND paper cranes, and then COUNTING them, which seems just as daunting a task.

Why not just go to a wishing well and throw a penny? Much less expensive.

WaterToFire

Postby WaterToFire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

horisustar wrote:I've never really understood why someone would go through the trouble of making A THOUSAND paper cranes, and then COUNTING them, which seems just as daunting a task.

Why not just go to a wishing well and throw a penny? Much less expensive.

A group of girls I know actually made 1000 cranes. They went on to make 1000 ninja stars, and then about 100 flowers before giving up (around then was when I joined in). Next year we're going to try to make 1000 sea animals

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:33 am UTC

Just wanna say thanks to this thread i have wasted many hours of my life folding paper. I now just have different papers spheres and unassembled units all over my house.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

.cheeseofdoom.

Postby .cheeseofdoom. » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

Although some of my modular origami isn't exactly as good as some of the stuff I've seen from you guys, I still have a few things I've done so far.

Spoiler:

and

Spoiler:

I'm also working on a giant icosidodecahera of electra modules. :D

Return to “General”