Have You Ever Taken Drugs?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Please tick the appropriate box.

I have never taken drugs and I never intend to.
44%
I have never taken drugs but I would take them if given a chance to.
15%
I have taken drugs and I still do occasionally/regularly.
26%
I have taken drugs but have stopped using them completely.
11%
I have taken drugs, however I can no longer take drugs for a particular reason but I wish I could take them still.
4%
I am addicted to some form(s) of drugs currently.
1%

Total votes: 434

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Have You Ever Taken Drugs?

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:The hell? My point was the doing heroin is a spectacularly bad idea. You disagree with that?

For what it's worth, there was a poster here a few years ago who was a 10+ year habitual heroine user, and claimed to suffer almost no ill affects from her addiction. The thrust that LaserDan seems to be getting at is that it's a complicated situation insofar as the junkie lifestyle being more detrimental than the drug itself. I don't disagree with your 'don't do heroine' statement, but there IS stuff that is more physically destructive to the user.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
ahammel wrote:The hell? My point was the doing heroin is a spectacularly bad idea. You disagree with that?

For what it's worth, there was a poster here a few years ago who was a 10+ year habitual heroine user, and claimed to suffer almost no ill affects from her addiction. The thrust that LaserDan seems to be getting at is that it's a complicated situation insofar as the junkie lifestyle being more detrimental than the drug itself. I don't disagree with your 'don't do heroine' statement, but there IS stuff that is more physically destructive to the user.
Yeah, I got that point and I don't disagree. My confusion stemmed from the part of the conversation that went:

"Don't do heroin."
"People would get pretty mad at you if you insulted feminists."
"...yes, I guess they would."
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:
elminster wrote:Nitrous.

Care to share your experience?

I thought of synthesising some, but gave up, afraid of fucking something up and inhaling something I didn't want to.

Which country are you in where you can't just buy some?
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

Honestly, I'd never even thought that it might be legal. Nobody I know ever used it (or at least talked about using it), so I figured that it'd be popular if it was legal and didn't even try checking.
I live in Serbia.

Laserdan

Postby Laserdan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:37 am UTC

ahammel wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:

Yeah, I got that point and I don't disagree. My confusion stemmed from the part of the conversation that went:

"Don't do heroin."

Well it's not what you said, is it? You didn't say "don't do Heroin", which is something I agree with.
What you did is disparage cognitive abilities of a whole group of people undiscriminately, which is what threw me off, and I compared that to a reaction someone would get if he'd made a similar remark about a group of people that has more public support than junkie trash.

I'm a habitual opiate user not for 10 years, but well, it's certainly nearer to 10 than to 1. I have suffered NO ill effects of the substance outside of the harrowing, horrible, mind-numbing, debilitating experience of opiate withdrawal. I'm being checked shallowly every three days (general overview of some parameters. This has another reason completely outside of the opiates) and thoroughly every 6 months because I get the stuff from a pharmacy - meaning I avoid the opiate black market altogether. I'm completely fine, and I'm using an opiate where my daily dose overall is of equipotence to ~200 mg pure morphine or 120 mg diacetylmorphine (Heroin), which at about 15% purity, is almost a gram of street black tar. Daily. My test results are always good, it didn't do any harm to my body so far.

I won't hide that there are actual detrimental effects caused by the drug on the body of some users, generally a slight depression of immune system functions and testosterone production. Some users who are completely immersed in the lifestyle (cycling every few hours between withdrawal and nod-quality doses) and some medical users of very strong opiates suffer from reduced bowel activity up to a complete blockage which can require manual clearing of the bowels - I think saying that loperamide (Immodium) is an opiate (that doesn't cross the BBB)
should be explanation enough. This problem can be avoided extremely easily by taking naloxone, a competitive opiode antagonist, orally, because it's bio-availability in that form is < 1%, meaning it stops opioides from working on the bowel. That's why I take a special mixture of naloxone and my medication exclusively through the oral route.

The actual, detrimental effects I feel (and which are the reason I'll be doing a withdrawal) are of a completely different nature - in your head. You simply stop feeling any strong emotions. The war stories of my relatives didn't move me much. Great passion, love or suffering don't move me anymore. I don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling when I listen to Symphony of Science. As soon as I stop taking it, everything returns, with a bang. I want to have my emotional life back. Oh, and it reduces the sex drive massively. I'm generally a very active person in that regard, meaning, if my gf goes along, I'd do it 5 times a day. Now I want maybe once or twice a day. Orgasms are much less intense, and it massively lengthens the time you need to orgasm. I want to experience more, especially now (-> BDSM thread).

So, there you've got a more differentiated post that should explain my position on this better.
"Sobriety is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs."

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 pm UTC

Insightful!
What's BBB?

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:Insightful!
What's BBB?

Blood–brain barrier, I assume.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

Laserdan wrote:
ahammel wrote:"Don't do heroin."

Well it's not what you said, is it? You didn't say "don't do Heroin", which is something I agree with.
What you did is disparage cognitive abilities of a whole group of people undiscriminately, which is what threw me off, and I compared that to a reaction someone would get if he'd made a similar remark about a group of people that has more public support than junkie trash.
Yes, I did do that. And I didn't mean to, and I apologize.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Return to “General”