Have You Ever Taken Drugs?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Please tick the appropriate box.

I have never taken drugs and I never intend to.
44%
I have never taken drugs but I would take them if given a chance to.
15%
I have taken drugs and I still do occasionally/regularly.
26%
I have taken drugs but have stopped using them completely.
11%
I have taken drugs, however I can no longer take drugs for a particular reason but I wish I could take them still.
4%
I am addicted to some form(s) of drugs currently.
1%

Total votes: 434

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Re: Have You Ever Taken Drugs?

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
doogly wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:Interesting fact I picked up from my Religious Studies teacher (if someone knows more about this maybye they can message me) 80% of persistant offendors are hard drug users.
Well.. having no idea how correct that number is, I do know that most repeat offenders of generic criminal acts (which is what I assume you mean by persistent offenders) are from ... not exactly the nicest backgrounds and upbringing, and usually lack higher education, limiting their job selection and chance to improve their lot in life, so it seems reasonable that they would attempt an escape - any escape - to just feel good for a few brief moments.

Then there's also the fact that most hard drugs are horribly addictive, many of them almost as addictive as nicotine (ha ha! But seriously, that shit's addictive. Nicotine, that is. Very addictive.). In order to break the addiction, cold turkey is not always an option and rehab is expensive, so if you don't exactly have that great of an income, you're pretty much stuck with it.

Also, we've decided to count drug use as an offense, and that white collar crime doesn't actually bother us. So, these two attitudes skew that number to the point of uselessness (if it is correct at all).

Aaand it's only about what % of repeat offenders are hard drug users, not how many hard drug users are repeat offenders.
eg, 80% of repeat offenders are hard drug users. But if 90% of the population are hard drug users, that makes the first statistic mean something totally different than if 10% of the population are.
I'm not saying that's how it is, but those kinds of figures annoy me because they say nothing, really.

This is something I pointed out to him at the time when he told me, but he explained that a disproportionate number of people who take hard drugs regularly, are persistant offenders in OTHER sorts of crimes. I'm ashamed to say I failed to mention I think the figure is only specific to the UK, but I'm sure it's a similar situation elsewhere. Does anyone else feel that these types of things affect their decisions about taking drugs and so on?
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

I'd suggest that's because, with hard drugs being so illegal, the sort of people who use them will be the same sort of rebellious rule-breaking risk takers as those likely to commit crimes, in addition to the rather depressing impoverishment argument put forward earlier.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I'd suggest that's because, with hard drugs being so illegal, the sort of people who use them will be the same sort of rebellious rule-breaking risk takers as those likely to commit crimes, in addition to the rather depressing impoverishment argument put forward earlier.

However what counts as a "hard drug"?
If cocaine were included, many of the people in Ireland who worked in the financial sector have admitted to using it regularly at parties. Not to mention countless celebrities who have used heroin and other illegal substances.
Signatures are for chumps.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
Adacore wrote:I'd suggest that's because, with hard drugs being so illegal, the sort of people who use them will be the same sort of rebellious rule-breaking risk takers as those likely to commit crimes, in addition to the rather depressing impoverishment argument put forward earlier.

However what counts as a "hard drug"?
If cocaine were included, many of the people in Ireland who worked in the financial sector have admitted to using it regularly at parties. Not to mention countless celebrities who have used heroin and other illegal substances.

Both high-end financial workers and celebrities are probably also of the risk-taking persuasion, but that's not really the point. Social situation is obviously a major factor too.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Have never taken any drugs and would maaaaaaaaybe do it, were the circumstances right. I doubt it though. But maybe.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

I have and continue to. Though it's worth noting that the pot I smoke is quite a bit less illegal here than the alcohol any of you underage Americans may drink.

I think it's also worth noting that, as much as I hate being told I'll change my mind when I'm older, I know I would have said "haven't and won't" up to about age 18 or 19, and I know a lot of forumites are younger than that. It'd be interesting to see what portion of the votes for that option come from people who are still below the age when most people decide to try something other than alcohol.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

*votes*
*looks at poll results*
What? Really? My experience of other XKCD readers is that we're all a bunch of stoners.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

@OBrien: And conspiracy theorists.

('Tis a joke)
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Indeed, as we actually tend to be pretty harsh on pseudoscientific woo of all sorts, including grand conspiracy theorists.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:48 am UTC

I smoke weed and occasionally eat shrooms, but I have done cocaine, ecstasy, and painkillers. As I get older, though, I've been doing it less often.
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Have done quite a few and quite a few times (Funnily enough, I did the other day which was first time in months). I believe that if they are used carefully and in moderation, the positives can out weigh the negatives in most cases. Saying that, I've known a lot of people who don't have the self control to stop themselves from being reckless and excessive users.
Some people won't gain anything (Relative to what else could be done) from doing drugs and may not gain anything from most types.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:36 am UTC

elminster wrote:[...] Saying that, I've known a lot of people who don't have the self control to stop themselves from being reckless and excessive users.

This. This is why I can't do drugs--I have little to no self-control. Although I do like caffeinated drinks (...and abuse those. Though, to be fair, most of the time it's because I have to stay awake.) Also, tea is amazing.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:10 am UTC

I have tried a lot of things. Though I stopped everything when a friend overdosed. That was my cue to stop. I had fun when I did them.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:13 am UTC

I'm in the "DO NOT WANT" camp. Never have, never will. I get to clean up the mess when people OD or get violent.
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:20 am UTC

Never have, don't plan to. And for reference, I don't consume caffiene, or alcohol (would be kind of hard to do so legally anyway, for another 9 months), or smoke...or even take cold medicine...I can't really think of anything that I use that can fall under the category of "drug," even if you make it pretty broad.

Just never really had a desire to do these things.
Last edited by Amnesiasoft on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:28 am UTC

You never had a desire to not suffer from cold symptoms?
---

(he/him/his)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:32 am UTC

I don't let myself have cold symptoms. I'm hardcore.

:P

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:00 am UTC

Has tried pot, will probably try again. Stopped because of a bad experience, but want to try again.
Want to try mushrooms sometime this year.

I also take an assload of perscription drugs, as well as drink booze, and occasionally have a puff or two from a cigarette.

Give me the chemicals, please. My body doesn't do it right to my tastes. (didn't vote as I felt no choice represents the not doing them now, have in the past, probably will in the future, and stopped for no really important reason)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:13 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:Interesting fact I picked up from my Religious Studies teacher (if someone knows more about this maybye they can message me) 80% of persistant offendors are hard drug users.
Well.. having no idea how correct that number is, I do know that most repeat offenders of generic criminal acts (which is what I assume you mean by persistent offenders) are from ... not exactly the nicest backgrounds and upbringing, and usually lack higher education, limiting their job selection and chance to improve their lot in life, so it seems reasonable that they would attempt an escape - any escape - to just feel good for a few brief moments.

Correct my figure if you can find some of the related papers, but close to 90% of the prison population in new zealand suffers from some form of attachment disorder, and a great majority of people with this disorder end up self medicating with various drugs. It would seem therefore that drug use and criminal behaviour, share a common cause, and are not - as many anti-drug campaigners would have you believe - causal of one another.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:44 am UTC

And I bet pretty near 100% of them have at some point in their lives seen the inside of a religious building of some sort or talked about religion with someone...

In other words, before we even get to questions of correlation vs. causation, you've got to show correlation in the first place. One statistic like this can't possibly do that.
---

(he/him/his)

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:45 am UTC

Have not, past alcohol and trying a couple puffs on a nice home-rolled (tobacco) cig, but would probably be willing to try weed at some point in the future. Would be much more likely if the idiotic marijuana laws were repealed.

I wonder how long it will be before Rat finds this thread
Hi you.
she/her

unknown604

Postby unknown604 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 am UTC

As a Canadian British Columbian Vancouverite East-side Vancouverite, I can probably say that I have tried a bit of everything.

Not a fan of the shrooms, but I do love my booze, and am extremely anti-tobacco. I have been known to sometimes, just recently and very infrequently, abuse my prescription drugs.

Although I live in extreme proximity to several drug dealers, and can easily score some free pot (from my neighbour), I choose not to. I have nothing against drugs, it's just that I have other ways of de-stressing. The complete lack of a risk factor also works against my willingness to do drugs too; it's never really been cool to do pot if you could light up in front of a cop who could care less.

Side note: Canadian drug laws (only in BC really) are so lax that the more you actually get convicted of a drug offence, the less time you spend incarcerated. Weird huh?
If I get you angry, know that:
I have a talent at saying stupid things, either that or I'm drunk; and,
Normally I'd be ranting to my friends, but since they're gone, I have only the internet; and,
If I do this, call me out on it. Just don't call me crazy.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:14 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I think it's also worth noting that, as much as I hate being told I'll change my mind when I'm older, I know I would have said "haven't and won't" up to about age 18 or 19, and I know a lot of forumites are younger than that. It'd be interesting to see what portion of the votes for that option come from people who are still below the age when most people decide to try something other than alcohol.

My views have become more tolerant and, perhaps, slightly more open to experimentation as I've gone through that age range (I'm 24, nearly 25 now). Back before I went to Uni I refused to even associate with people who smoked. It was a disgusting smell and horribly unhealthy, and I was also pretty judgemental about people who used illegal drugs of any variety (although the expulsion of two ~16 year old guys from my school for smoking pot - even I thought that was perhaps a little harsh). I very rapidly became a lot more tolerant when I went to Uni - even if you despise the habit, it's pretty hard to get by without being friends with at least some smokers, especially when you realise that they aren't actually evil hell-fiends.

As I said before, by the end of Uni I'd been to a few parties where various drugs were offered. It didn't really change my opinions of those that accepted, but I've only ever felt the slightest inclination to do it myself (there was certainly no pressure), never anything close to enough to actually try it.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:This is something I pointed out to him at the time when he told me, but he explained that a disproportionate number of people who take hard drugs regularly, are persistant offenders in OTHER sorts of crimes. I'm ashamed to say I failed to mention I think the figure is only specific to the UK, but I'm sure it's a similar situation elsewhere. Does anyone else feel that these types of things affect their decisions about taking drugs and so on?

I would actually guess that this is something to do with committing crimes to fund a serious habit. If you're injecting £100-worth of heroin a day, a) you're too f*cked up to hold down a job and b) where else are you going to get that kind of money?

Yeah, heroin is the only drug I would rule out ever using, partially because the one time I took (was spiked with) it, I really didn't enjoy the experience, and partially because I've seen how quickly an "occasional user" can turn into someone with a £100-a-day habit.

I've never seen anyone spiral out of control so quickly with any other drug.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

philsov wrote:Never having a trip is on par with never having sex. Do it, at least once, if the opportunity ever arises.

This.

Von Haus wrote:If weed was legalised or at least readily available and with little to no chance o flegal consequences, I'd happily give up alchohol full stop and have weed at parties and gatherings instead.

I'm with you on this one, Mr House. This past year I've gone off alcohol and realised that I much prefer the experience and after effects of smoking weed are much more preferable than getting pissed. I especially don't like the way hangovers get worse and worse the older you get, it's just not right! And though I do enjoy a cold beer on a hot day, I could always substitute it for a cold softdrink and a joint and be just as happy.

As for harder things, I've had coke a few times and think it's a pretty pointless as far as experiences go, but it is useful for keeping you awake and active when needed (such as when going clubbing or doing all night benders at festivals). On the whole though, I wouldn't recommend it.
Mushrooms - well, I've only done these a few times, the first time was a bad experience but I later found out that you're not meant to be drinking alcohol when doing shrooms as it combines in a bad way. The few times after that I tried them I made sure to stay with non-alcoholic drinks and had great experiences, so would do again.
Never done LSD but would like to give it a try, simply for the experience.
Done MDMA but didn't notice the effects and not bothered about trying it again, I'll just stick to smoking some green, thank you very much.
Never done heroin and wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. That shit will fuck you up, avoid at all costs.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Subliminity
needs friends

Postby Subliminity » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

Vote the second option. I know at least about 20 "bros" that smoke pot often. If they presented it to me, I'd take it. I would never, ever do anything but pot though, a friend did ecstasy and OD'd and he's pretty fucked up in the head.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Has anyone here tried NOz (laughing gas)? I took some a few years ago, when it was still legal in Britain, and I have to say that was the best trip of my life. Everything was really relaxing, sounds were really cool and I got some really strong psychedelic effects (mainly a kaleidoscope pattern going across my entire field of vision). Some other effects were that everything felt like it was wrapped in cotton wool and my mouth tasted of warm, weak, very milky tea.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Subliminity
needs friends

Postby Subliminity » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:26 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:Has anyone here tried NOz (laughing gas)? I took some a few years ago, when it was still legal in Britain, and I have to say that was the best trip of my life. Everything was really relaxing, sounds were really cool and I got some really strong psychedelic effects (mainly a kaleidoscope pattern going across my entire field of vision). Some other effects were that everything felt like it was wrapped in cotton wool and my mouth tasted of warm, weak, very milky tea.

I've done this, but I forgot about it. Yeah, it is trippy.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:Done MDMA but didn't notice the effects

In that case I would suggest that you didn't actually do MDMA. :wink:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:
the_bandersnatch wrote:Done MDMA but didn't notice the effects

In that case I would suggest that you didn't actually do MDMA. :wink:

Nope, it was definitely MDMA. I think the reason I didn't notice the effects was down to the fact I'd been drinking all day, smoking weed, done some coke and then taken the MDMA. I'd also just like to say this was when I was going through a bad time in my life and didn't care if I lived or died, I wouldn't do such a cocktail today.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

Pot is the main one for me. I've tried speed, but wasn't too impressed, and mushrooms, where the quality is a bit variable - you never know if it's going to have no effect or send you into orbit. Salvia was interesting, but a bit harsh on the lungs, and Spice incense mix (a supposedly legal high) didn't have much effect. I also got prescribed some codeine-based painkillers after a knee injury, but didn't need them and kept them for future use. I ended up using them as hangover cures, rather than recreationally, though. I've never been dependent on any drug, I tend to stop and start fairly often depending on local availability, quality, and how I feel. They're there to be used like alcohol - fine if you have some recreationally and responsibly, bad if you start to become dependent or harm those around you.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

I checked the first option, but it bothers me that I did, because I'm all for legalization of drugs. But it appears to be the most true option. I don't smoke things, don't have any interest in addictive substances, and my behavior is often structured by legality, so I'll probably never consume an illegal drug. I've had many a pleasant contact high (breathing in a room with pot-smokers and pot smoke, getting high from just what's in the air), wouldn't mind trying a pot brownie, and am curious about trying salvia (but it's not illegal, so it wouldn't count according to the poll). I've gotten eggs from my fridge for other people to make pot brownies, told people where their small-time dealer was, and done a very large amount of very enjoyable baby-sitting of people on Ecstasy.

My spouse has tried many drugs and strongly believes that everyone should try a hallucinogen of some type to understand that reality isn't really real. I've never done it, but think he might be right.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

Bleh. Started reading, stopped to see the poll and voted before I realized that it was illegal drugs only. If we're talking all drugs, I'm currently addicted to nicotine. Last night was harsh because of it actually, I haven't had a cigarette in more than, right now I'd say about 30 or so hours.

I've smoked pot a few times, sometimes its fun, sometimes not. The last time was great, mostly because I really didn't do much.

I've also gotten inebriated (I love that word so much) several times. The last time I did that was horrible. I apparently don't currently know my limit, so I got way to drunk and spent the latter part of the night laying my bed trying not puke and wishing things would stop moving so much.

I'll do anything short of heroine given the chance. I might also stay very far away from meth and oxy. Oxy killed my mother, so I've still got some spite about that left.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

It's a shame you don't want this to devolve into a discussion about which drugs should be illegal/morally acceptable. Caffeine is a common stimulant that is generally not illegal, but some people refuse to take for moral (religious) reasons. Perhaps the poll should be re-titled "Have You Ever Taken Illegal (in your jurisdiction) Drugs? Heck, coffee can be considered illegal in a religious commune.

The reason I bring it up is that, due to exposure to anti-drug advertising most my life, I now avoid legal (or prescription) drugs as well. For example, I turned down morphine in the hospital after surgery (took pills with codeine instead; similar effect (maybe it was just because I don't like needles)). I also avoid drinking alcohol even though it is not against my religious beliefs.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

I personally don't like the concept of doing things "just for fun" much (I know, I'm strange, whatever) so I don't think I'd ever take a substance for the sole purpose of inducing an emotional state or altering my perception of reality. So much for "recreational use". I drink alcoholic beverages once in a blue moon, don't smoke, don't drink coffee and drink tea almost only when I get a cold. I eat chocolate on a daily basis though, that's an addictive substance, right? I'd consider taking drugs as an experimentation to explore the mechanisms of how my brain works, but it seems wrong. Like making your foot fall asleep to explore the way it works; that wouldn't help you learn much, I suppose. That leaves what, medical use? I guess that's about the only reason I'd take any drug. So, I voted for the first option.

Of course, I wouldn't try to impose this behaviour on everyone but I think it's good enough for me.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

aryehpro

Postby aryehpro » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Well, first of all, I totally believe in questioning authority, but doing so in a very informed and thought through manner. Therefore, I have done a lot of reading about all sorts of drugs. I'm 16 and a half, so I haven't really had the chance to try anything, but I certainly intend to (perhaps even this summer if I get the chance).

I have had my fair share of alcohol (it's insanely easy for underagers to get alcohol in Israel), and I very much enjoy it. I tend to drink very responsibly though, and I've never really gotten pissed, just sort of woozy. I plan to continue recreational drinking, as i believe that the occasional drink can only do good.

I would really like to try pot, maybe shrooms too, but have found it hard to get the opportunity to do so, because of their legal status. I think that with both of those drugs the benefits very much outweigh the risks.

I'd try LSD, but only in a very friendly and experienced environment, so as not to get a bad trip.

Anything else I would really try to avoid, because my above mentioned reading has led me to believe that most other harder drugs are not worth it.

One rule I have for myself is to not take any form of thought altering drug (alcohol included) when it's affects might still be felt during a school day. So, basically, alcohol only on vacation and weekends, and pot, if at all, only on vacations longer then two weeks (I've read that it takes a while for pot to clear out of your system).

I also am strongly opposed to cigarettes, because i don't like the fact of them being so addictive. I don't want to be addicted to any drug, I want to enjoy drugs on my terms. This makes it a lot more difficult for me to try pot, because the most common way of consumption around here is hashish (the sap from cannabis) rolled with tobacco.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:My spouse has tried many drugs and strongly believes that everyone should try a hallucinogen of some type to understand that reality isn't really real. I've never done it, but think he might be right.

Wow, really? I don't know- I don't think I could ever handle anything like that. And to be honest, I don't find "changed perceptions" the same as "reality isn't real." I get that enough from reading about quantum mechanics.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

Oh, I believe that reality is real, despite the unintuitive and probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. Personally, I'd expect that hallucinogens emphasize how chemical and biological perception and self are, not that reality isn't "real", but, as I've said, I've never taken any hallucinogens. I do think it's credible that hallucinogens help one viscerally understand the fallibility of one's senses and mind, and I strongly suspect that just about every adult is perfectly capable of "handling" the experience of hallucinating, given preparation and a safe space.

I've noticed quite a bit of discussion about alcohol, which I entirely ignored in my first post. I first consumed alcohol in college, in the form of mixed drinks, and quite liked both the interesting combination of flavors I could taste and the looseness I could get. In the past few years, I've slowly begun to appreciate beer, and, even more recently, I've added an appreciation of wine to my pallet. For most of my drinking history, I've been a huge advocate of moderation, but I've recently deeply enjoyed getting remarkably drunk on wine. Talking for hours, slowly sipping wine, and getting a bit bombastic: I'm becoming a huge fan. I don't want to hurt myself or others, but I just get louder and courser, and I really like it. At the core, I'm a person who enjoys moderation, and I certainly don't want to become an alcoholic, but I think, maybe every other month or so, it would make sense to deliberately create a situation where I'm going to get rip-roaring drunk.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:42 am UTC

I don't know about drugs in general, including alcohol. It feels like losing any semblance of control (because that's basically what drunk/high is, right? loss of inhibitions?) terrifies me to no end- I've probably said this before but I'll say it again. I really don't think I'd ever be comfortable experimenting with this sort of thing and that's really why I don't think i ever will. I know drugs like pot can be used in moderation like alcohol, but...God, I don't know. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable taking drugs or being in a situation where others are taking them. I feel uncomfortable enough talking to people I barely know in high school about their experiences with pot. I don't think the aging process will change this.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Saurus33

Postby Saurus33 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:20 am UTC

Not at the moment. I'd like to try pot, mushrooms, salvia and LSD. Maybe the fishhead fungus if I was feeling adventurous.

Return to “General”