Photo example of the signed prints?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Splendid

Photo example of the signed prints?

Postby Splendid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

Hello. I did three separate searches using different values but none answered my question.

Does anyone have an image of what their signed print looks like? I'm interested in the Grownup one and before I commit $15 (don't judge me) I was just wondering if there are any good pictures of people who've framed/matted their signed print, what they look like hanging or what it is you've done with yours, and so forth. Is it a piece of paper? Is it bendable like a poster, or is it printed on a thick cardboard-like material? Where does he sign each one? Thanks!

Pit

Re: Photo example of the signed prints?

Postby Pit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

I don't have a phone on hand for you, but my friend does, and I will ask him to take a photo for you. The print is done on high quality glossy (whoo glossy) paper. The size of the print depends on the size of the comic, but the one my friend (A bunch of rocks) bought was a little larger than a normal sheet of paper (the length was longer than the typical 11 in).

The nice part about the print is that it IS done from the high quality image. My friend likes to talk about how he can see where Randall Munroe starts and ends pretty much all his lines. So it is high quality.

The signature, for him anyway, was done on the bottom right hand corner. I don't know if that's consistent with all his signatures, but that's how it normally is.

And, what he did with the picture. Originally, he was going to frame it and put it on his dorm wall above his bed. But, because of a random (very lucky) situation where we got to meet Randall Munroe, my friend decided to bring the print along and ask Munroe to draw and sign the back of the print. So now he has one sheet with two drawings and two signatures on it.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

Splendid

Postby Splendid » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

Nobody? :(

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Seriously kid? Not even a thank you to Pit?

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Surgery wrote:Seriously kid? Not even a thank you to Pit?

I've noticed a lot of these gimme-gimme-gimme posts lately.
Here's another. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41522
What's up with that?

Splendid

Postby Splendid » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:38 am UTC

I had written: "Sheesh. That IS lucky. And I don't know what whoo glossy is, even after a Google search."

But I erased it, thinking it was either too suckupish or something.

I was just trying to get some information for myself and for all the people who were also curious or on the fence about getting themselves a comic.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:54 am UTC

Not asking for a photo example, but just wondering:

How long does it take for backordered products to get shipped?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:58 am UTC

"whoo glossy" was just an exclamatory phrase, incorporating onomatopoeia for a human expression of joy, extolling the desirability of the property of glossiness for a personal print valued as memorabilia. There, is that defined enough for you?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Pit

Postby Pit » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:53 am UTC

Yea a thank you would have been nice =/ I almost decided not to post the pictures I took after arguing with my ex/friend a bit to get them. But then, I decided there were other people in the world that might appreciate my efforts a little more, so here they are, in their shiny/glossy glory:

The print is on the left. To make a gloss comparison, I put a piece of normal paper next to the print (the pleiades one is not a print)

The print, again, sans flash this time

The sig, like I said, bottom right corner.

And the super awesome sketch he made for my friend on the back of his print.

Now, hopefully, people will be a little more appreciative. =] Thanks everyone.

@PBD: that was a perfect explanation.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

Splendid

Postby Splendid » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:03 am UTC

@podbaydoor: Yes, that makes sense, thank you.

Pit wrote:Now, hopefully, people will be a little more appreciative.

:? :oops:
Okay, I get it. :( It's not that I'm not extremely thankful, I guess I just should start saying that I am. I know you can't read messages I end up deleting for whatever reason.
These images are very helpful Pit, thank you. If not done for me then for all those on the fence or curious about purchasing a print. Maybe a mod can delete all my non-helpful posts so future knowledge seekers won't be bothered by all the fail.

If I can come across a few extra bucks I'll order one and post images of my own. My friend's dad is an art dealer and custom frame maker ('framer'?), so I'm hoping to take it to him.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

Splendid wrote:If I can come across a few extra bucks I'll order one and post images of my own. My friend's dad is an art dealer and custom frame maker ('framer'?), so I'm hoping to take it to him.

Splendid.

Return to “General”