Windows 7

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Endless Mike

Re: Windows 7

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

The 32-bit beta version (haven't actually tried the RC yet) runs very nicely on my bottom-end aluminum Macbook (yay, I now have a one-off Mac). The 64-bit version would theoretically run great, as well, if Apple would stop being dicks and support it (which they do on Macbook Pros of the same vintage despite minimal difference). I haven't actually had any problems with it and would have little concern running it as my main OS if installing it on my PC wouldn't require reformatting. I've preordered Home Premium since I was planning on putting together something more modern once Windows 7 came out, anyway.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

I'm running on a AMD X2 5200+, 2GB RAM, Radeon x1950PRO GPU, 2x160GB RAID 1.
Incidentally, I have had zero issues with the raid array. Autoconfig also recognizes my wireless adapter perfectly, I I don't have to use TRENDnet's shitty drivers.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

singlefin

Postby singlefin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

After reading this, I'll admit my interest is piqued - I'd been planning on hanging onto XP for my windows box for as long as humanly possible after having used Vista for precisely the amount of time it took to despise it (about twenty five minutes) and then swearing off it. But to me it sounds like 7 might be worth a go. Or are you guys all playing an incredibly elaborate hoax?

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

I'll swear on a relative or deity of your choosing that I fully intend to purchase it. It will be the first legitimate non-OEM version of Windows I shall own.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:31 am UTC

I to intend to buy windows 7. I had crashes hangs BSOD's and driver clashes with every windows OS I've ever owned but I've yet to have so much as a blip out of 7.

My only problem so far is mcafee wont install on it, but thats there fault (and there's probably a workaround but I CBA to find it...yet)
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:44 am UTC

mrbaggins wrote:
Magilla wrote:
mrbaggins wrote:Windows 7 is being marketed to Netbooks. 'nuff said. The Dept of Education and Training is doing a multimillion dollar rollout of netbooks to students. They are all going to have Windows 7 on them.

Holy crap, I hope they are only doing that in NSW. If it happens here, my life will become a nightmare.

The netbooks or the windows version?

And why would it be so bad? (I'm a High school teacher... My views may be skewed)

I'm a network admin, and I work at virtually every school within 200km of here.

1. None of the schools have enough in-house support to handle an extra computer per student
  2. Making different versions of Windows network is a nightmare, especially pre-Vista to Vista+
  3. The school workstations will be XP for the near to middle future
  4. It's going to require enormous amounts of user training

Teachers (especially the older ones) are some of the most resistant humans to learning new things. Ironic as it sounds. Most of them can't even navigate XP or the intranet. Trying to teach them enough to be able to interact with students using Windows 7 (which they haven't seen before) in a useful way is going to be nigh on unpossible.
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:15 am UTC

There's a new position being opened in every NSW school as a technician, as well as 6 for each 'divisional area' to do with the upkeep and maintenence of the laptops.

The DET is rolling out it's own wireless network tha will operate over any current schools networks, but is designed to be open to allow interoperability.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:17 am UTC

Interesting. I've been wanting to move to the east coast...
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:01 am UTC

guyy wrote:(where'd the 7 come from?)

It's the version number, sorta... they started with NT 3.1 (which was somewhat loosely based on Windows 3.1... it looked like Win3.1 anyways, I'm not sure to what extent it was technically different, a bit before my time... I only know the basics, like how they'd ditched the DOS extender and such), then NT 3.5 and NT 4.0 came out (with NT 4.0 looking like Windows 95... or vice-versa, I'm not sure which came out first). After that they switched to different names: 2000 was NT 5.0, XP was NT 5.1 (evidently not enough had changed to give it its own number), Vista was NT 6.0.

So naturally, 7 would be next. The "sorta" is that it seems Windows 7 is actually NT 6.1. I'm sure it made sense to someone. Probably some marketing-types who decided to call it "7" before the more techy ones decided that not enough had changed, and called it 6.1... and of course, now it's too late to change the name...

I don't have anything particular to add on-topic just yet... except that I intend to try out Windows 7 when my new computer arrives (*Refresh* Aww, still "Order being processed"... *Refresh* Aww, still "Order being processed"...)

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:23 am UTC

Magilla wrote:Interesting. I've been wanting to move to the east coast...

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/jobs/Enquiry ... hedEnquiry

Search for
Category: Information Technology/Management
Employer: DET

It's the 3 "Regional Technology Support Officer" entries at the bottom. More entries are available to view if you log on. All details within the links.

If nothing else, it will help you find more info about it.

On Windows 7: I love the Tablet text entry. Don't know if Vista's is the same, and actually, I'm not sure if it's 7's or Wacom's, but by god it is awesome.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

My only problem so far is mcafee wont install on it, but thats there fault (and there's probably a workaround but I CBA to find it...yet)
i'd consider that a blessing not an issue....mcrappy sucks balls

i forgot about 7's neatest (IMO) feature....you can do RSS feeds as your desktop background....and have it rotate and different intervals....so you could have a different XKCD comic every day!
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:I to intend to buy windows 7. I had crashes hangs BSOD's and driver clashes with every windows OS I've ever owned but I've yet to have so much as a blip out of 7.

I didn't realize Windows 7 had Malware detection built in to it. Bravo.

(HA HA! MCAFEE SUCKS!)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

It's the version number, sorta... they started with NT 3.1 (which was somewhat loosely based on Windows 3.1... it looked like Win3.1 anyways, I'm not sure to what extent it was technically different, a bit before my time... I only know the basics, like how they'd ditched the DOS extender and such), then NT 3.5 and NT 4.0 came out (with NT 4.0 looking like Windows 95... or vice-versa, I'm not sure which came out first). After that they switched to different names: 2000 was NT 5.0, XP was NT 5.1 (evidently not enough had changed to give it its own number), Vista was NT 6.0.

So naturally, 7 would be next. The "sorta" is that it seems Windows 7 is actually NT 6.1. I'm sure it made sense to someone. Probably some marketing-types who decided to call it "7" before the more techy ones decided that not enough had changed, and called it 6.1... and of course, now it's too late to change the name...

I don't have anything particular to add on-topic just yet... except that I intend to try out Windows 7 when my new computer arrives (*Refresh* Aww, still "Order being processed"... *Refresh* Aww, still "Order being processed"...)

There's also the argument that it's the seventh major consumer release of Windows:

Windows 1.0-3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

But being the sort-of seventh version of Windows NT makes more sense since MS tries to deny that ME ever existed. As do most people who used it.

Realistically, they didn't really think it through too hard and just liked it, like you said.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

I am thinking about dual booting 7 on my currently Linux only desktop, for compatibility. good idea?

also: =p mcafee

DrunkSolipsist

Postby DrunkSolipsist » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

Currently dual booting XP 32-bit and win7 64-bit Release Candidate at home. I'm glad I did this.
I've been looking forward to moving to a 64-bit system. I found out to my disappointment that Adobe's newer software tends to run badly (if at all) on XP and Vista 64-bit versions. So I thought I'd give 7 a try.

Found out my Adobe CS4 Production pack works much faster and with fewer random crashes than in my current XP install. Rendering a large film always made my XP go belly-up, 4/5 attempts. Also found out that my epson scanner doesn't support any 64-bit systems. Bummer, but not MS's fault. On the other hand, Nvidia already released win 7 drivers for most of its hardware - very pleasing. On the down side the backup utility takes forever for me.

I'm most likely going to move to 7 when I have the time. It feels like a polished XP, as opposed to something new and foreign (Vista). If I wasn't happy with it, I'd probably end up switching to a mac *shudders at the thought*

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
phlip wrote:

There's also the argument that it's the seventh major consumer release of Windows:

Windows 1.0-3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

But being the sort-of seventh version of Windows NT makes more sense since MS tries to deny that ME ever existed. As do most people who used it.

Realistically, they didn't really think it through too hard and just liked it, like you said.

If you're going to call 1.0-3.1 the same release, you may as well do the same for 9x/ME. The Windows 7 moniker comes directly from the NT release numbering.

Homo Electromagneticus

Postby Homo Electromagneticus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Okay, so my first gripe about Windows 7 has surfaced: The monitor brightness on my laptop can't be set as low as it once could. It's lilkely the fault of the Lenovo drivers, but it certainly is annoying and has a noticable impact on the machine's battery life.

Also, you apparently can't turn off the "Aero Preview" feature of the taskbar without going to a "basic" theme.

Other than that, Seven is wicked cool. Faster than Vista, that's for damn sure; especially on startup/shutdown.
Just as the sword can not cut itself,
nor the finger touch its own tip;
mind can not see itself.

Themata

Postby Themata » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:46 am UTC

Just built a new computer, looking to get my hands on Windows 7 soon as it's released.

Does Microsoft still have the Release Candidate up for download?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:56 am UTC

Yep. "The RC will be available at least through July 2009."

[he/him/his]

crzftx

Postby crzftx » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:01 am UTC

Deleted
Last edited by crzftx on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

anybody know if its poosible to use the windows 7 disk and (valid) CD-key to unlock the RC so I dont have to do a reinstall?
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

baultista

Postby baultista » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

I have a system running Fedora Core 10, Windows Vista SP2, and the latest Windows 7 RC (is it RC1?) at home.

I do the majority of my computing in Linux or Windows 7, while occasionally booting up Windows Vista to play games. My Windows Vista install is batty and slow these days...especially when it comes to browsing the Internet (my connection never dies but I can never navigate to pages... is port 80 is mucked?)

I may just wipe both my Win7 and Vista installs and start over with Win7 x64.
Could God write a program so long that not even he himself would have the memory to compile it in a single pass? -- Hamish Campbell

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:anybody know if its poosible to use the windows 7 disk and (valid) CD-key to unlock the RC so I dont have to do a reinstall?

FAQ on Microsoft's site says no - you'll have to reinstall when the real Win7 comes out.

[he/him/his]

BSamuels

Postby BSamuels » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:26 am UTC

They had to write the operating system from the ground up 7 times before they got it right.
I love time warner cable.

stevetamis

Postby stevetamis » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

I would prefer you to go for Windows 7 because it is Fast, intuitive, compatible with every single piece of hardware I have, those are the best description words I have for this OS. Runs everything I've tried. Simple uncluttered interface. Faster than Vista. Runs on a net book in 1GB RAM. Never crashed since I loaded on the first day of the Beta release.

InfamousAnarchist

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 am UTC

This be a necro, for the day approaches: October 22nd. I have my copy of Signature Edition (because I am holding some kind of launch party for it, and so they sent it to me?) and I have yet to install it. I kind of want to do a dual-boot XP-7 on my main machine.

Is this a stupid idea? (y/n)

Also the box Microsoft sent me had balloons, a puzzle, streamers and tote bags.
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

InfamousAnarchist wrote:This be a necro, for the day approaches: October 22nd. I have my copy of Signature Edition (because I am holding some kind of launch party for it, and so they sent it to me?) and I have yet to install it. I kind of want to do a dual-boot XP-7 on my main machine.

Is this a stupid idea? (y/n)

Also the box Microsoft sent me had balloons, a puzzle, streamers and tote bags.

Do you have anything that you know requires XP to run?

In my opinion just ditch it and clean install.

We have Signature Edition too, the party pack arrived a couple of days ago. Not planning on using it yet though.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

My college's computer office sent out an e-mail recently with a link to this Microsoft offers page. Students and university staff with one of them "@bladibla.ac.uk" e-mail addresses can grab it for 3/8 the price, with the Home Premium edition of 7 purchasable for £30 - done as a direct download, but with my college operating a crazy weekly bandwidth cap on all users, I opted to get the physical disks mailed out to me for £8 extra.
Quite looking forward to the 22nd.
Perhaps the choice of the 7 suffix rather than some vague theme like "hmm nice view" or "my, that's one very elongated horn" could be them wanting a bit of extra luck with public perception & sales on release?
I've had little issue with the Vista software so far, mostly hardware f***-ups on this laptop. Let's just say it's on its 3rd motherboard & HDD,

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/ if you're interested.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:My college's computer office sent out an e-mail recently with a link to this Microsoft offers page. Students and university staff with one of them "@bladibla.ac.uk" e-mail addresses can grab it for 3/8 the price, with the Home Premium edition of 7 purchasable for £30 - done as a direct download, but with my college operating a crazy weekly bandwidth cap on all users, I opted to get the physical disks mailed out to me for £8 extra.
Quite looking forward to the 22nd.
Perhaps the choice of the 7 suffix rather than some vague theme like "hmm nice view" or "my, that's one very elongated horn" could be them wanting a bit of extra luck with public perception & sales on release?
I've had little issue with the Vista software so far, mostly hardware f***-ups on this laptop. Let's just say it's on its 3rd motherboard & HDD,

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/ if you're interested.

I cheated slightly. I got the exact same deal, I am however uni staff. But seen as I have a .ac.uk email addy they still sold it to me, Mwa ha ha.

invisibl

Postby invisibl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:55 am UTC

I had XP pro 32 . osx 10.5.5 and Se7en tripbooting on a Toshiba A7
7 seemed faster than XP . Not sure if it was freal or not. did no diag's
osx was nicee after i got the drivers sorted.
cant use it at the shop as we got rules against things like fun
but at home
the aminals play

7 for the win tho

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 am UTC

I also have a signature edition. I've been using 7 exclusively since the beta came out and it rocks. I haven't had many problems at all.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I keep getting explorer.exe crashes lately in 7. Running build 7100.

I boot for over a month at a time though (Last power on was September 02) so if there's a bug, it has plenty of time to leak memory/glitch repeatedly/hit the once off coincidence that kills it...

And whilst reading my event viewer, it appears that at least one of my disks has an error... hrm....

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

mrbaggins wrote:I keep getting explorer.exe crashes lately in 7. Running build 7100.

I boot for over a month at a time though (Last power on was September 02) so if there's a bug, it has plenty of time to leak memory/glitch repeatedly/hit the once off coincidence that kills it...

And whilst reading my event viewer, it appears that at least one of my disks has an error... hrm....
I've had problems with hibernate and sleep on the release candidate. I plan on upgrading soonish (have a copy of 7 from uni), but I want to get the next phase of my school project done first so there's no rush to get it working again.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

wing wrote:For all the Vista-hate: Vista is fine. Software and hardware developers were in fact fucking idiots when it came out and pretended it would just go away. They were told WELL in advance that the driver, security and filesystem structures would change in HUGE ways and COMPLETELY ignored it. This was made worse by the fact that even more developers pretended 64bit would just go away.

Okay - as someone who lives in the area and has a lot of ties within the company, I can tell you that a lot more has changed than you think. The beta was more stable than Vista, and while with all the patches and fixes, Vista is an okay product, it is still much slower than 7, and there are still remaining bugs. There is less focus on performance than there is in 7 and everyone I've talked to in the company wants to get it behind them.

Let's be honest - most of the problems caused by Vista were driver-related. But even taking that away from it, it's far worse than XP. The UAC dialogues are incredibly annoying, the UI feels clunky, and copying a 1KB file can take a stupid amount of time, and it doesn't handle large directories well. That said, Windows 7 does amazingly on nearly all of these things.

Since the driver model hasn't changed (except for the addition of WDDM 1.1) nearly all Vista drivers should be compatible and at this stage it's very likely that your PC is fully supported. Most of them were back in Beta, but we're nearing RTM now.

Overall it feels a lot more responsive and modularized. You can pull IE in and out without hassle. Startup and shutdown are stupidly fast. I still miss Ubuntu, and as a Linux user it's definitely failed to "convert" me, but while I don't have my own hardware to run it on I can live comfortably with 7.

phlip wrote:Probably some marketing-types who decided to call it "7" before the more techy ones decided that not enough had changed, and called it 6.1... and of course, now it's too late to change the name...

Apparently it was changed to 6.1 after changing it to 7 broke heaps of software and drivers. Getting all of the issues fixed before shipping would have been a nightmare, and the version number is a pretty superficial thing anyways. I think the priority was on making the product work well, so they changed it to 6.1 and moved on to more important things. After a quick google here's someone else's take on it;
He claimed that one of the reason that made Microsoft decide to use the version number 6 was the compatibility issue. Why has it anything to do with the compatibility? Well, apparently a lot of applications have their own version check built right in their software that checks the current platform to make sure their software runs on the OS they support. And most of them will deny to work if the version check returns the number that is not in their support range. However, because almost all applications that run on Vista without problem will essentially run just fine on Windows 7 too, making the version that is in the same series as Vista seems to solve this issue quite nicely.

(source: http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php ... -as-seven/)
Last edited by Zorlin on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Zorlin wrote:Vista is an okay product, it is still much slower than Vista

I... think you may have meant something else?

[he/him/his]

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:29 am UTC

I got to try it today. It's like Vista, but a little better. A little. Still a lot of abstract-ness and poor design in the interface that bothers me.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

Fact: Every release of windows (or major release, at least) has doubled the minimum amount of RAM, and similarly increased the processor speeds needed.

Until 7, when they they stopped that.

I've used Win 7 (the release). It's nice. I can't compare it to Vista (never really used it), but it is a significant improvement over XP.

(Also, if you're still using XP, you should really switch. XP has shitty security).
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

An 8 year old operating system has shitty security?

Gasp! Horror! Shock!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Fact: I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm going to a Windows 7 launch party at Microsoft next week.

Double Fact: I'm also not ashamed to admit that I'll be at a Google event that's down the street right before it.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:23 am UTC

Okita wrote:Fact: I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm going to a Windows 7 launch party at Microsoft next week.

Double Fact: I'm also not ashamed to admit that I'll be at a Google event that's down the street right before it.
Fact: I'm jealous.

Return to “General”