Collars

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ocean

Collars

Postby Ocean » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

Hi! I'm not sure as to where I should post this, so I figured the General board would do. =)

A few weeks ago, I read on the internet about collars, and about the meanings several groups of people gave to them. It's a very interesting topic for me, since this is the first 'fashion accessory' that has so many meaning attached to them by several groups of people.
Now, I'm almost 17 years old, and I'm interested in wearing a collar. When I tried on a dog collar at the local pet supply store, I think it looked good, so when I order a custom one I bet it'll look great =D
There's only one thing holding me back, though, and that's the different meanings attached to collars, and the reactions people would give. From what I've read, most people associate collars with BDSM, or with furries. And I don't want to express those with my collar ^^

And now the questions I have for you all:
- What do you / would you think if someone was wearing a collar (in a public place)?
- How would you react? and;
- How much impact to your social life do you think wearing a collar would have?

I'd love to hear your opinions on this, since I'm not really sure of this aspect yet. For the rest, I do think a collar would look good on me, and I also think it'll feel nice to have it on. It's just hard for me to estimate the impact of wearing one, since almost nobody at my school wears one, and the forum threads I googled didn't really reflect much on the social aspect of collars.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas ^^

TaintedDeity

Re: Collars

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

There's definitely an S&M element to it, but it's not a necessary connotation.
I imagine most people looking at you will think S&M or goth depending on your age and the outfit you wear it with.
Unless the collar itself is obviously and animal collar I doubt a connection to furries will be made, especially seeing as a lot of people won't even be aware furries exist, they'll just wonder why you're wearing a pet's collar.
What will you be wearing with this collar, in general and what does the collar look like?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

I don't really have any particular clothing style to go with it, I often just wear jeans and a random colour T-shirt, and if it's cold enough (unlike now ^^) a fitting hoodie or something.

Here a picture of the collar I had in mind:
Spoiler:

I looked through a massive list of collars on one of CollarFactory's threads, and I thought this one would look the best on me.

Also, thanks for the fast reply, TaintedDeity! =)

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

Yeah, I'd be thinking you were a sub, in a bdsm sense.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

Not a bad collar, if it's worn tight to the neck. Ill fitting collars and chokers don't really look good.
It might be wise to wear less casual/normal things with a collar.
They look like costume pieces or something out of the ordinary so wearing one with perfectly ordinary clothes may look unusual.
I think what I'm trying to say here is baggy jeans, tshirt and hoody combined with a collar will look silly but a close fitting long sleeved top and a decent pair of trousers combine with a collar won't look silly.
I tried looking for pictures but I gave up after not finding what I want.
Effort is key! You can't throw on a collar and leave it like that, it needs to work with the whole outfit.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:11 pm UTC

My dad wears a dog collar for his work.

He's a vicar

Actually on topic, I agree TD. It'll look good if you've made effort elsewhere.

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

Okay, thanks for the input, TaintedDeity =)

I'll wait with the clothing thing 'till I have the collar, I guess, since I won't really know how that particular collar will look like until I wear it anyway. Good thing is that I'm getting clothing money every three months soon, so maybe I can get some new stuff over time ^^ A whole outfit is probably gonna be expensive, though...

doogly wrote:Yeah, I'd be thinking you were a sub, in a bdsm sense.

Okay, but do you see that as a bad or as a positive thing? And would that affect how you look at someone? Just curious ^^

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Ocean wrote:I don't really have any particular clothing style to go with it, I often just wear jeans and a random colour T-shirt, and if it's cold enough (unlike now ^^) a fitting hoodie or something.

If I saw you wearing this with a collar, my first thought would be furry. Most people don't know about furries, though, so you shouldn't worry about being mistaken for one.

doogly

Postby doogly » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

Ocean wrote:
doogly wrote:Yeah, I'd be thinking you were a sub, in a bdsm sense.

Okay, but do you see that as a bad or as a positive thing? And would that affect how you look at someone? Just curious ^^

Oh, that'd be fine by me. It increases the odds that you are my kind of people. If it isn't correct though, you may not want to communicate it.

abitha

Postby abitha » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

Yeah, depends a bit on context - where you are and what the rest of your outfit is like.

If I saw someone wearing a collar like that, I'd probably mostly assume it was just as a fashion item, unless there was some other indication that they were wearing it for a different reason (i.e. stuff they said). I'd wonder if there was a bdsm connection, but wouldn't assume it just from the collar.

I think where i live, most people's reaction would be broadly similar to the above, although i don't think many people would even realise there might be a bdsm/furry connection unless they're into those things themselves. If someone does jump to that conclusion, clearly what they think of you will depend on what they think of bdsm or furries. I wouldn't think any the worse of you, personally.

Why do you want to wear a collar, anyway? Simply because you think it looks good, or does it represent something?

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

abitha wrote:Why do you want to wear a collar, anyway? Simply because you think it looks good, or does it represent something?

I want to wear a collar because I think it'll look good, but also because I think it'd feel nice to have one on. It'd feel... safe, maybe. Also, I'm quite submissive, but that's also not really the point of the collar...

So, the main reason is because I think it'd look neat on me ^^

popprocks

Postby popprocks » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

My immediate thought would be 'furry' as well, but maybe that is because I am a furry. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you are furry, but it would absolutely cross my mind.

As far as a physical reaction would be, I would ignore it if you were just a passerby the same way I'd shrug off somebody wearing net gloves or excessive jewelry. Wearing a collar is not really shocking enough to warrant staring or glaring. If I actually knew you and you suddenly wore a collar, I'd give you a high five for being bad-ass.

How much impact on MY social life? Well, I spend an immense amount of time playing the trombone alone and in groups. If I was sitting around 20 other trombone players in a nationally recognized trombone program while wearing a collar, I'd get some confused looks for sure, but mostly because it would be a breach of formality. In a casual situation, I can't imagine anybody I hang out with would react negatively.

I say, wear it. It's a wicked sick idea.

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

popprocks wrote:stuff

Okay ^^ Just a question to you, since TD brought up the thing with clothing... did you begin to wear other clothing when you chose to wear a collar? Or hasn't your 'style' really changed at all? Do you buy clothes to match with your collar?

Just curious =)

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

Collars: Meant to be popped. Frat harder, Ocean.

On topic, though: It would be very tough for me to get around the stigma of collars and just see them as a fashion accessory. Just my 2 cents.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:48 am UTC

If you're really concerned about the BDSM/furry associations, perhaps a choker instead of a fully-fledged collar?

Also, for the record, my first thought would be "goth" or "punk", depending on your outfit/hairstyle. If your clothing didn't match the collar, though, I might wonder if it was supposed to be a signal that you're into BDSM. Especially if you're wearing it in a bar or club.

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:11 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:If you're really concerned about the BDSM/furry associations, perhaps a choker instead of a fully-fledged collar?

Also, for the record, my first thought would be "goth" or "punk", depending on your outfit/hairstyle. If your clothing didn't match the collar, though, I might wonder if it was supposed to be a signal that you're into BDSM. Especially if you're wearing it in a bar or club.

All that. It would look most [anti-establishment subculture] with a non-conventional hairdo and perhaps piercings or odd make-up. A corset (if you're female) will also contribut to that. A male corset could go either way. Looking bdsm isn't necessarily a bad thing by me, but other people may judge you. Chances are they'd be the same people that judge you for being goth/punk/emo/not a WASP.

doogly

Postby doogly » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:03 am UTC

Yeah, come to think of it, most people who would make the bdsm assosciation probably approve of it. The disapproving types likely just file it under "that boy is unacceptably nonstandard in his apparel!"

popprocks

Postby popprocks » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:17 am UTC

Ocean wrote:
popprocks wrote:stuff

Okay ^^ Just a question to you, since TD brought up the thing with clothing... did you begin to wear other clothing when you chose to wear a collar? Or hasn't your 'style' really changed at all? Do you buy clothes to match with your collar?

Just curious =)

Well, everything I said was hypothetical, hence the heavy use of "if" and "would be." I don't wear a collar.

. . . but as long as we're indulging in theoretical situations, I would not wear clothing to match 'my collar.' I just wear jeans and a solid color t-shirt or sweatshirt (a very small amount of writing optional, nothing funny or cute) every day. If I wore a collar, I would want it to be a solid blue, purple, or black so that it didn't show brightly (like yellow or orange would) against any dark (or light) shirts I wear.

crickets

Postby crickets » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:20 am UTC

Ocean wrote:I don't really have any particular clothing style to go with it, I often just wear jeans and a random colour T-shirt, and if it's cold enough (unlike now ^^) a fitting hoodie or something.

Here a picture of the collar I had in mind:
Spoiler:

I looked through a massive list of collars on one of CollarFactory's threads, and I thought this one would look the best on me.

Also, thanks for the fast reply, TaintedDeity! =)

Heh....

I have that collar with silver hardware. It's forest green leather on black lined with teal lambskin. I'd recommend getting a different color combo, the dark green on black isn't as awesome as it should be.

Honestly, i think you'll look like a person in a collar. They've become so popular lately that there's really not that much to be said about it. If you get someone to lead you around on a leash, however, that'll get you some funny looks and comments.

Not that i've ever done such things...
nope.
not at all. Also totally didn't go to a dollar store in calgary to pick up a spare collar cause i forgot mine...

*hide*
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:29 am UTC

doogly wrote:Yeah, come to think of it, most people who would make the bdsm assosciation probably approve of it. The disapproving types likely just file it under "that boy is unacceptably nonstandard in his apparel!"

This. The way I see it, though, there'd be likely three main reactions.
1) I'm in this sub-culture. Probably, "Nice collar."
2) I'm not in this sub-culture and am totally not familiar with it, "why the hell is he wearing a collar? Eh, no accounting for people these days." Possibly, "so that's the new trend these days?"
3) I'm not in this sub-culture, but am familiar with it. "Huh. He's probably into that sub-culture. [Insert what this person thinks about that sub-culture here]."

I tend to largely discount the feelings of folks who would specifically disapprove in these kinds of situations, anyhow. Anyone likely to be put off by what you want as a standard of dress is not likely to be someone you want to associate with.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:56 am UTC

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the collar posted in the pic is made specifically for the BDSM scene. The D-ring screams "Hook a leash on and whip me, Master/Mistress!" Which may be really good or really bad, depending on the situation and your preferences. ;)

I'm thinking a simple black collar might be vague enough to pass for a generic accessory. It'd also match the most stuff. But yeah, a choker might be a better option. Hell, find something at your local Hot Topic (or equivalent store). Their stuff is basically mainstream now.

As for wearing collars, I don't really pay attention to them. Here's why: I know some furries &/or fans of BDSM that wear "symbolic collars". Stuff like chain necklaces with padlock pendants which can pass for a normal, albeit weird, accessory. Because I learned of this "insider" stuff, seeing someone wear a collar incites a "Huh. Okay." reaction. Unless it's got something that makes it more symbolic than just an accessory, I really don't care.

Then again, I'm pretty laid-back on all these weird hobbies and interests that people have. To each their own, after all. The people who would freak out &/or judge you for an accessory would probably find something to judge you for, anyway. Wear what you want, just make it look good! :D
...It made more sense in my head.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

aww, come on back out crickets, I actually kind of agree, a person in a collar to me is just that: a person in a collar.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Ocean wrote:And now the questions I have for you all:
- What do you / would you think if someone was wearing a collar (in a public place)?

I would think they were probably someone's, er... "submissive".
I would react with mild disgust and probably some staring, like, "Is that guy seriously wearing a collar"
To my social life? Well, I don't know you. So after I told my friends how weird it was, it would fade from my memory.
I think it will have a very significant impact on YOUR social life, though. Probably negative, depending on who your friends are.

It's just weird. And not the kind of thing I would wear.
To be fair, I think most accessories / jewelry are stupid-looking. Wrist spikes are kinda cool. You could get wrist spikes.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:07 am UTC

-It depends on the kind of collar, really, but if I just was walking down the street and saw some random person with one I probably wouldn't think anything of it at all except that it was an accessory. Some people have eclectic fashion tastes. I like collars, even when they have no significance past "hey this looks neat!"

-I don't think I'd react at all. Unless it was a particularly awesome collar, in which case I might smile.

-My social life? Probably none at all. I have awesome and rather openminded friends who I don't think would care one bit whether I liked wearing collars cuz I thought they looked good, or liked wearing collars because my Master locked one onto me and forbade me to take it off.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:00 am UTC

-I'd think: Wow. Gutsy guy/girl. Or I may think: Awesome collar. I may even think: Why does mixing purple and green paint make the color that it makes? [ ie, nothing having to do with the collar ]

It depends on what I'm focused on at the moment and how outlandishly the person is dressed.

-I probably wouldn't react much, if at all. A person's fashion sense, eccentricities, or turn-ons are their own business. At most, I'd probably smile after seeing someone with it. I'd be impressed with their confidence for wearing it in public. I have nothing again self-expression.

-My social life? Seeing as how I don't really have one, nothing much would change. At school, tons of people would notice and they would probably treat me differently, but nothing would change with the people I care most about. My friends.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:11 am UTC

I used to wear one (with a bell, too). I don't think it had much of an impact on my social life then, but I'm not exactly the most socially aware person ever. Also, I went to a pretty liberal high school.

Anyway, I think most people more or less just think of it as a piece of jewelry after seeing it a few times. You get some weird looks and the occasional "is that a collar?", but really there's almost no impact. People tend to care less than you'd expect about pretty much any aspect of you, I think.

I don't think it sends a furry message. Most people don't know what a furry is. I guess it has a bit of an S&M connotation, but, y'know... the only way to avoid being judged by what clothes you wear is to not wear any.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 am UTC

It would depend on where I saw you in public, though I probably wouldnt even notice you uness you're particularly flamboyant. In a club I'd assume it was fashion in a sex club I'd assume you were married/engaged or otherwise taken. it wouldnt even bother me in work, I'd think it a little odd and give you a bit of tape for the D-ring (safety first!) but at most it would be a curiosity.

Generally a collar is a sign of ownership, by wearing you may actually scare off prospective partners.

On my social life? I dont have one, when I did I was more or less a goth, so none. If I were to develop a social life now it would be aimed at finding a partner, I wouldnt wear a collar, maybe some leather armbands to indicate my sexual tastes, since as stated I consider a collar a statement of ones unavailability.

TBH at 17, go for it, if its a bit weird or you feel uncomfortable wearing it, stop, people will just assume it was a phase.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:14 am UTC

A collar alone isn't enough to suggest BDSM
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 am UTC

Depends on the color and overall outfit. Wearing your "normal" clothes I wouldn't make much of an assumption.

Definitely wouldn't think "furry" (and yes, I am familiar with them). Wouldn't think "sub" or "goth" either unless the rest of your clothes re-enforced either of those images.

I guess I would see it more as an accessory than a statement of anything beyond, "I make a statement against conformity/boredom." Which some people will think well of you for, some will think ill.

If you are generally clean in appearance, I think there are very few people who would jump to horribly negative conclusions. Unless you are wearing something extremely inappropriate (by most people's standards) for the context.

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 am UTC

Wow, so many replies, thanks ^^

So I guess I can safely assume that:
- People don't really care much about fashion accessories, or at least tend to forget about them quickly/get used to them;
- People won't openly react to something 'odd' fast, and when they do, it's often non-verbally;
- If your social circle accepts your collar then it won't matter much to your 'casual' social life. However, you may scare off potential partners if they interpret the collar as a sign of ownership.

So, I think the 'consequences' of wearing a collar aren't all that bad =) I didn't really care about negative comments about the way I look earlier anyway (they never, ever have solid arguments), and I'd love the positive comments/smiles I might get with it. Tee hee ^^

The one point that would kinda matter is the last one, with the ownership interpretation. I was already thinking about that. Then again, people would only know about that until they've seen how collaring works on the internet, or if they were told by other people. And, if he/she's really interested, I bet he/she'd make a chat with me anyway and drop some hints about the collar, so I could tell that it's just for looking good ;D

So, all good I guess, now to wait 'till I've saved up enough money to buy a neat one... Thanks for all the help ^^

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:33 am UTC

Ocean wrote:ownership

If what I've heard is true, apparently wearing a collar with an open padlock (swung open and obvious) means that you're not owned and are looking. It could take care of the "scaring off potential partners" thing. However, I have no idea whether or not you'd be comfortable broadcasting the message of "come own me, I'm single" to people of various subcultures. Just be wary of where you wear it, what you wear it with, and how you act when it's on.
...It made more sense in my head.

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:57 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:open padlock (swung open and obvious)

Hmm, maybe that's an idea. Not necessarily to give people the message that I'm single (which I indeed am =D), but it'd probably also look awesome. Then again, wouldn't the padlock fall off? Or would they sell little pendants in the form of padlocks... But then I'd also need to have a ring on it, and I thought that that'd imply a connection with BDSM also. Blegh xD

Also,
Spoiler:
Hanging on a padlock would also imply that you're aware. If you don't, then that wouldn't set so black-white boundaries.
Like, either you own me, or you don't. I guess that could put some strain on possible friendships/relationships, especially if you're just on the edge of a new relationship. People can own you a little bit, right? Hmm, my lack of experience xD

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 am UTC

Ocean wrote:- What do you / would you think if someone was wearing a collar (in a public place)?

My initial thought would be either "Goth" or "Punk"

Ocean wrote:- How would you react? and;

Depending on whether or not it suits you, I would think you were either awesome or a pillock. If you think it looks good, though, it would probably be the first one.

Ocean wrote:- How much impact to your social life do you think wearing a collar would have?

Your peeps might like it and you'll probably get a few weird looks from randomers on the street, but most people are cool enough not to judge (or at least to keep their opinions to themselves until they get to know you).

I know it's no way near as "outrageous" as a collar, but in the six or so months I've been wearing my hat, I still get people whistling wild west tunes, the slightly more subtle John Wayne walk behind me and, occasionally, the much less subtle "You look like a fucking cowboy mate!" (to top it off, it's not even a cowboy hat: It's an Australian bush hat). My brother and a couple of my mates tell me I look like an idiot every time I wear it in front of them but that's OK because I know they love me really. Basically, if you can deal with your family and friends slight disapproval, the mocking of people you'll never see again and you actually really want it, do it and fuck everyone else.

EDIT: and as far as hanging shit on it goes, do whatever you want. Same applies there as above. If somebody offers you a bondage session, jus decline politely and say that it's only a fashion accessory.
Last edited by OBrien on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:02 am UTC

My friend's got a shaved head and a harrington jacket. Strangers call him a nazi all the time.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

Ocean wrote:Wow, so many replies, thanks ^^
- People won't openly react to something 'odd' fast, and when they do, it's often non-verbally;
I agree with all of your conclusions apart from this one.
If anyone reacts, and they most probably will, it's very likely to be verbal.
Insults, animal noises and the like.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

Ocean wrote:So I guess I can safely assume that:
- People who post on the xkcd forum don't really care much about fashion accessories, or at least tend to forget about them quickly/get used to them;
- People who post on the xkcd forumwon't openly react to something 'odd' fast, and when they do, it's often non-verbally;

I'd strongly recommend getting the opinons of your close friends too. There's are worth far more than anyone elses. Plus, keep in mind that the people on the xkcd forum are usually a lot more tolerant , accepting and generally "nice" than a lot of other people who you'd see in day to day life.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

snowolf

Postby snowolf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

Just go ahead and wear the thing! Don't worry so much about it.
The people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind.
maybe if this is witty enough, someone will finally love me

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

I'd honestly think it was goth or punk too. Maybe even furry because I've seen people waiting at the bus stop with furry ears, tails, collars and leashes. It would depend on what you wear it with. As for how it would affect your social life, depends on who you know. I honestly know that the kind of people I used to hang around would think I'm weird/a freak and probably wouldn't talk to me anymore if I wore a collar. So, not to stop you from wearing it, just hope you're around open minded, non-petty people.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

Ocean wrote: *snip* Open padlock musings and this...
Spoiler:
Hanging on a padlock would also imply that you're aware. If you don't, then that wouldn't set so black-white boundaries.
Like, either you own me, or you don't. I guess that could put some strain on possible friendships/relationships, especially if you're just on the edge of a new relationship. People can own you a little bit, right? Hmm, my lack of experience xD

A collar is one thing. A collar could have a lot of meanings or none at all. It's totally open to interpretation. Personally, I would suspect you were a collared sub and not think much of it, but then, I have experience in this area.

I think as soon as you add the lock, though, that is going to scream BDSM to anyone familiar with the sub-culture with very, very little room for interpretation. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though. It sounds like you might be flirting with the idea a bit yourself.

As for the spoiler...

Spoiler:
...not that I understand why why this is a spoiler...

In any case, if you get to the point that you're a collared sub chances are you aren't "[owned] a little bit". The point of a collar is to declare ownership. Wearing it publicly is a way to broadcast "I'm owned" even when you're apart from your D. D/s lifestyles come in every shape and size with a lot of different people finding a lot of different solutions to make themselves and each other happy. If you're collared though, it's a fairly safe assumption that you're a 24/7 sub or even a slave.

At this point the collars are sometimes locked in place with the Owner carrying the key. Some are even impossible to remove once worn without destroying them. This may not be a huge deal if it's made of a soft textile like rubber, cloth, or plastic in which case the fact that removing it destroys it may just be symbolic. Although, I have seen people with permanent metal collars. If that D/s pair ever broke up I really hope they know someone with a Dremel and a very, very steady hand...

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

I assume anyone male wearing a collar is furry/bdsm/both, and anyone female who isn't obviously wearing it for style I assume the same. I've not been wrong yet, and I know a lot of people who where collars.
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:Cueball is being generally hilarious today.
Sungura wrote:Cueball, I...I...
<3
Box Boy wrote:Now let us wait for the outcome of CueBall's fight to the death!

Return to “General”