Could I get a bit of social support on this?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Indon

Could I get a bit of social support on this?

Postby Indon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:06 am UTC

(This isn't in Dear SB because I didn't really think it serious enough)

So, I just came to a frightening realization.

I've been arguing with people over the internet for ten years.

I wouldn't think much of it, I mean, my other hobby is gaming and I've been doing that for over 10 years, except arguing with people over the internet sounds like an even more pathetic hobby than playing D&D.

And yet I love it so.

Is there something wrong with me, or something? Am I some kind of latent asshole, or what?
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

sje46

Re: Could I get a bit of social support on this?

Postby sje46 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Me too.
Umm.
.. .
*support of a fellow jerkface*
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:09 am UTC

Well, if they deserve it, then give 'em hell.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:54 am UTC

Surely some of those arguments are meaningful discussions?
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:11 am UTC

11.5 years here. I started on mIRC when I was 15 and never looked back. I mean, there are a LOT of people who are wrong on the internet and there have been for some time.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:20 am UTC

I wonder how many arguments on the Internet that pertain to grammar, spelling or literary style.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:22 am UTC

Quite a few. It's funny that you say that because some days I'm Ms. Grammar Nazi and others I couldn't care less where that motherfucking comma goes.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:36 am UTC

Well, did you have the chance to have these arguments with real people (presumably friends) but turned them down, so to speak, to instead have them on the internet?
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Meh.

Lately I feel like making people miserable. I'm sure you can't be worse than me.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

Indon

Postby Indon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Eastwinn wrote:Well, did you have the chance to have these arguments with real people (presumably friends) but turned them down, so to speak, to instead have them on the internet?

No, though I do try to tone down the arguments I have with real people, since they tend to be with coworkers, and I can't be merciless with them.

I do feel much less like I've wasted my life now, thanks everyone.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

scruff

Postby scruff » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Indon wrote:So, I just came to a frightening realization.

Aw crap. Now that you start putting numbers to it, I'm remembering when I started arguing with people over the internet back in 1996 on alt.atheism. I've argued on a lot of different fora since then, about a lot of different things; I think I've only had my opinions significantly altered a handful of times, and I think I've done the same for others even fewer times. Clearly a great use of my time.

These days I try to resist the urge. I'm at a point where the foundations of my thoughts seem to be so far removed from everyone else's that it's pointless to even try to communicate. Have I finally learned how to shut up? *sigh* I hope so.

bbq

Postby bbq » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:33 am UTC

You are just trying to start an argument about this now, aren't you.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

bbq wrote:You are just trying to start an argument about this now, aren't you.

Arguments don't exist and the word now has no meaning since time is arbitrary, which makes your sentence grammatically incorrect. Also your mother is overweight and I slept with your dog.

Take that!
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

That wasn't arguing. That was.. owning, frankly.

I been arguing on the internet for maybe a year and a half now. A few days ago I was very proud of myself by ending a gun control argument only 3 PMs in by saying "OK, you win, I now think guns are a Good Thing."

Nothing to do with the fact I was losing.

>_>

But yeah, trying to cut down.

baultista

Postby baultista » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Indon wrote:(This isn't in Dear SB because I didn't really think it serious enough)

So, I just came to a frightening realization.

I wouldn't think much of it, I mean, my other hobby is gaming and I've been doing that for over 10 years, except arguing with people over the internet sounds like an even more pathetic hobby than playing D&D.

And yet I love it so.

Is there something wrong with me, or something? Am I some kind of latent asshole, or what?

That depends.

Are you a troll that makes stupid, inane comments for the sake of starting an argument... or do you find posts that you legitimately disagree with and try to debate them?

I used to be the same way, but after five years of doing this I've realized that arguing with people on the Internet is utterly pointless. I use forums for general interests nowadays (that and killing time on a slow work day).

It's funny how my reaction to idiotic posts has evolved over the past five years. At first I would just start screaming and yelling names for the sake of being funny. Then I tried to be Mr. Intellectual, using gargantuan words and something vaguely resembling logic to disprove the other person's arguments.

Today, I just use this:
Could God write a program so long that not even he himself would have the memory to compile it in a single pass? -- Hamish Campbell

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

Started on IRC in '96. I have-a the shame. Of course, I've spent the past, uhm... five months making a conscious effort NOT to 'argue' on the internet. It hasn't always worked (the number of people who see this post as "This Users Posts Have Been Blocked" will attest to that).

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

This topic is making me feel all good about myself not arguing over the internet... But then I remember that I just tend to read what all the smart (and dumb) people's arguments back and forth instead. At least it's better here than on creationists forums. I wonder how the rational people there manage to stay sane.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Indon

Postby Indon » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:17 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:Nothing to do with the fact I was losing.

>_>

That's the best part of argumentation - when you pick up something new!

baultista wrote:I used to be the same way, but after five years of doing this I've realized that arguing with people on the Internet is utterly pointless. I use forums for general interests nowadays (that and killing time on a slow work day).

My faith in humanity still hasn't buckled that far - I still use logic and everything.

Phen wrote:This topic is making me feel all good about myself not arguing over the internet... But then I remember that I just tend to read what all the smart (and dumb) people's arguments back and forth instead. At least it's better here than on creationists forums. I wonder how the rational people there manage to stay sane.

You know, I think creationists are an excellent way to cut your teeth on internet discussion.

Creationist arguments tend to be real weak, oftentimes not even requiring any google-fu to solidly trounce, allowing for easy "good job!" feedback for the novice. And yet, pinning down a creationist as they grab the goalpost and run is a much more difficult job that requires the ability to track what can often be fast-paced, multi-threaded conversations, the ability to draw upon online sources widely, and the ability to broadly influence the direction the conversation is heading so that you can drive the evasive right back towards your waiting arguments.

Also, since creationist forums tend to be topically undisciplined, you can get practice on a lot of various subjects using essentially the same people.

Why yes, I did start my hobby against them, why do you ask? (Specifically, it was a Yahoo religious chatroom with a name chosen intentionally to start arguments about creationism, as well as theological arguments)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:15 am UTC

Another good topic to cut your teeth on is gay marriage in a Christian forum.

That's only before you pull your hair out, descend into madness, and wind up in a dark corner muttering nonsense fragments, though.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Indon

Postby Indon » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:17 am UTC

Wouldn't that be less 'cut' and more 'gnash'?

Edit: Not that I haven't done my share of that, heh. Though I've found over the years that hatred of stupidity has slowly turned into anticipation of challenge.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Unfortunately my hatred of stupidity has a tendency to turn into impotent rage in the face of implacable ignorance and willful blindness. Needless to say I don't venture into Christian forums or Youtube comment threads.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:33 am UTC

Dude, 10 years? Go to bed!
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:49 am UTC

Bobber wrote:I wonder how many arguments on the Internet that pertain to grammar, spelling or literary style.
I think they might still be outnumbered by the combined arguments about Star Wars and Star Trek. I mean, you don't need no grammar, spelling, or literary style when you're dealing with that. Ahaha.
baultista wrote:I use forums for general interests nowadays (that and killing time on a slow work day).
I think I could break myself of this habit if I just had something better to do when killing time on a slow work day. But what? There are so few alternatives that still bear a faint semblance to productivity. Heck, posing questions about frustrating work-related problems is productive, no two ways about it.
baultista wrote:You know, I think creationists are an excellent way to cut your teeth on internet discussion.
Creationist arguments tend to be real weak, oftentimes not even requiring any google-fu to solidly trounce, allowing for easy "good job!" feedback for the novice. And yet, pinning down a creationist as they grab the goalpost and run is a much more difficult job that requires the ability to track what can often be fast-paced, multi-threaded conversations, the ability to draw upon online sources widely, and the ability to broadly influence the direction the conversation is heading so that you can drive the evasive right back towards your waiting arguments.
How artfully you put things. And yet, the debate has been going on for so long that there's already a rebuttal for every creationist argument out there, and a counter-rebuttal, and a counter-counter-rebuttal, and so on, all just a Google search away. In the words of Asimov, "the army of the night has the advantage of overwhelming numbers, and, by its very nature, is immune to reason, so that it is entirely unlikely that you and I can win out."

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:48 am UTC

Indon wrote:
Phen wrote:This topic is making me feel all good about myself not arguing over the internet... But then I remember that I just tend to read what all the smart (and dumb) people's arguments back and forth instead. At least it's better here than on creationists forums. I wonder how the rational people there manage to stay sane.

You know, I think creationists are an excellent way to cut your teeth on internet discussion.

Also, since creationist forums tend to be topically undisciplined, you can get practice on a lot of various subjects using essentially the same people.

Why yes, I did start my hobby against them, why do you ask? (Specifically, it was a Yahoo religious chatroom with a name chosen intentionally to start arguments about creationism, as well as theological arguments)

Well, a creationist site IS the only place I ventured into debate, but I didn't get anywhere at all so I gave up again. That was also the time when I was trying to find out what I actually believed in, although it was easy for the seculists to win me over simply by being... Well, sane, compared to the other side there.
That was also the only time I think I felt strongly enough about anything to argue with internet people about it.

On an unrelated note, how on earth do you cut your teeth? I've never heard of that expression before.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

the tree

Postby the tree » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:05 am UTC

Phen wrote:On an unrelated note, how on earth do you cut your teeth? I've never heard of that expression before.
It's the most English saying in the world, and I have never heard it said by anyone that wasn't at a bar at the time, it means to learn your trade.

Mr Jack

Postby Mr Jack » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

the tree wrote:
Phen wrote:On an unrelated note, how on earth do you cut your teeth? I've never heard of that expression before.
It's the most English saying in the world, and I have never heard it said by anyone that wasn't at a bar at the time, it means to learn your trade.

Did it originate with dentists learning their trade on the working class? :mrgreen:

scooter

Postby scooter » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

If it makes you feel any better, my former roommate is known for launching full-out assults on message boards that he doesn't like. He's made two of them completely shut down and run off enough members from several others to leave them dead in the water.

He's an ass on the internets, but he interacts well with people in real life...so meh. As long as he's not tanking his job/family/etc., I don't see where it's a big deal.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

scooter wrote:If it makes you feel any better, my former roommate is known for launching full-out assults on message boards that he doesn't like. He's made two of them completely shut down and run off enough members from several others to leave them dead in the water.
Wow, an actual Godzilla !

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

....yeah

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Return to “General”