Fireworks Injuries

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

the.coding.eye

Fireworks Injuries

Postby the.coding.eye » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:04 am UTC

I did a search and didn't find anything other than the generic injuries thread.
Since it is the day after the Fourth of July we should hopefully be healing from this years fireworks related injuries. Post your best stories here.

My group didn't have any injuries this year. Just a couple of artillery shells that exploded closer to the ground than they normally should. I think it was due to the humidity (five different hail and rainstorms blew through during the day). However, a few years ago, one of the guys in our group was lighting an artillery shell while he had another one in his other had. The sparks of the fuse from the first one lit the second one in his hand and burnt his fingers pretty good. Fortunately, he threw to a somewhat safe distance before it blew up.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Gears
Bulletproof

Re: Fireworks Injuries

Postby Gears » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:12 am UTC

Ahh I was lighting 2 artillery shells in seperate mortars and after lighting them both, I step away only for them BOTH to explode on the ground in my face.

It was pretty.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

Personally shot-off fireworks are in my opinion, kind of silly.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

In Thailand, the holiday that gets the most fireworks injuries is Loi Kratong. Everyone goes to the river or moat, and then make a game out of shooting fireworks at each other. Mind you, most people are doing this while completely hammered. Fun fun.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

gerb

Postby gerb » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

I've been good with fireworks before, but this year they attacked me.
I lit a box on a somewhat wobbly platform (stupid, I know. It worked last year...) After the first shot it tipped over towards everybody. Lots of running and whatnot.
I got hit in the leg, ran away, that one exploded. One landed in front of me. Ran the other way. That one exploded. Other than getting hit in the leg and losing my hearing for a couple seconds I'm fine, though. :-D
And the rest of the fireworks were great.
"In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."
-Sir_Elderberry

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

A friend of mine got a bear bomb in the face (almost) a couple years ago. It hit him in the chest, landed at his feet, he looked at it in this "What the heck was that?" reflex, and blew up. We found him five minutes later, stumbling down the road, bleeding from his ears and nose, flashblinded.

Good times. We still don't know who threw it at him.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Just imagine a 4chan style gore picture of a hand ripped off.

Fireworks injuries are fun?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 pm UTC

Saturn rockets are fun. My friends uncle kept throwing firecrackers at me and when I lit off my rockets they attacked him. I love the fourth. What the hell is a bear bomb?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

A bear bomb is a quarter-stick of dynamite. You use it to scare bears away. Also fun when irresponsible teenagers need fireworks and don't have any 'traditional' ones.

Cold

Postby Cold » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

Well, a giant blister on the side of my thumb(the wind consistently pushed the lighter flame over my finger, and the fuse always got a few sparks on it) and my foot is still numb from accidentally stepping on a lit Dixie.

LLCoolDave

Postby LLCoolDave » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:24 pm UTC

Thanks for reminding me why I stay clear from personal fireworks. It's not that they are not safe or pretty, it's that the very biggest part of the population seems to be too stupid to use them in a somewhat safe manner.

zug

Postby zug » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

what's life without a little danger?

I had a lot of fun watching my 3 year old cousin learn how to write his name with a sparkler :D
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

Fireworks are fun and all.. but I don't really see the amusement in watching someone blow off their fingers. There's a reason fireworks are completely banned in some countries.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

Because it's the government's job to protect stupid people.

zug

Postby zug » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Because it's the government's job to protect stupid people.

Not until we have socialized healthcare, it damn well ain't.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Well, as fireworks can also endanger people who aren't using them (starting forest fires, accidentally hurting bystanders) I suppose it can fall under the government's domain.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

That is a good point, as illustrated by my buddy who got hit with the bear bomb. The problem is, it's hard to draw the line. They let almost anyone drive, and they TOTALLY kill a lot of innocent people. They let almost anyone drink, and (in combination with lots of other things) they TOTALLY kill a lot of innocent people. There's lots of things which are inherently harmless if treated with respect, who end up hurting and maiming and killing lots of innocent people.

I guess fireworks are the easiest one to ban.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

Is it easy to get hurt by idiots wielding fireworks even if you don't hang out with them?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

*points to Tyler vs Bear Bomb* Quite.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

Wow, I fucking hate people.

muktowngiant68

Postby muktowngiant68 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:27 am UTC

So i never really cared too much about saftey, but after seeing this collection of photos..... ya the last few really got me and the x-ray one was the worst.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/80683506/

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:That is a good point, as illustrated by my buddy who got hit with the bear bomb. The problem is, it's hard to draw the line. They let almost anyone drive, and they TOTALLY kill a lot of innocent people. They let almost anyone drink, and (in combination with lots of other things) they TOTALLY kill a lot of innocent people. There's lots of things which are inherently harmless if treated with respect, who end up hurting and maiming and killing lots of innocent people.

I guess fireworks are the easiest one to ban.

Driving is useful - it has measurable gains for society and the economy; fireworks not so much. Also, it would be interesting to see stats on injury rates with fireworks, compared to vehicles.
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:48 am UTC

Nothing says America quite like Chinese made fireworks! I disagree with protecting retards from themselves. I am one of those retards and dammit I turned out mostly ok.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Magilla wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:That is a good point, as illustrated by my buddy who got hit with the bear bomb. The problem is, it's hard to draw the line. They let almost anyone drive, and they TOTALLY kill a lot of innocent people. They let almost anyone drink, and (in combination with lots of other things) they TOTALLY kill a lot of innocent people. There's lots of things which are inherently harmless if treated with respect, who end up hurting and maiming and killing lots of innocent people. I guess fireworks are the easiest one to ban.
Driving is useful - it has measurable gains for society and the economy; fireworks not so much. Also, it would be interesting to see stats on injury rates with fireworks, compared to vehicles.
Gun Ownership in Kentucky (at birth, you're issued a .22 rifle)* vs Kentucky Fireworks Laws (Basically, if it leaves the ground, it's illegal) = WTFs all around.

*No, not really. That said, outside of the cities (all, like, five of them) gun ownership is really, really, ridiculously common. Rare is the house without a firearm of some description.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:38 am UTC

Whoo, alcohol and fireworks! What better way to celebrate your countries independence than to demonstrate you don't deserve* it?

*I kid** :P

** Maybe :P
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:43 am UTC

I have 5 firearms. Everything is legal in Montana. I have drank beer with a cop on duty as well. Basically a big party state.

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:17 am UTC

Although completely unrelated to the 4th of july, back in Thailand in Phuket over the new years about 4 years ago, they let off millions of firecrackers in the middle of crowded streets. People walked around selling boxes of reels of sometimes thousands of firecrackers and so many went off in the street over the night that the floor had an average coverage of over an inch of exploded firecrackers.
At one point, a load of firecrackers went off in the middle of the crowd (Seemed quite frequent. Health and safety were non-existant) and I managed to catch a piece of firecracker from around 4meters away in my teeth. I got it out and it was about the size of a frozen pea.

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

My friends and I had a blast (no pun intended) last week. About 8 of us, $100 of explosives between us all. I honestly found those far more entertaining than anything professionally done. There's just something intrinsically more exciting about lighting the big block yourself, fleeing the area, and then watching the thing spit light and thunder. :D

As far as it being dangerous, if everyone stays away from the active firework and you point the shooty end away from everyone, the worst thing that'll happen is a few tiny burns from lighters. The fuses on the things give plenty of time to get away.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

zug

Postby zug » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

z4lis wrote:My friends and I had a blast (no pun intended) last week. About 8 of us, $100 of explosives between us all. I honestly found those far more entertaining than anything professionally done. There's just something intrinsically more exciting about lighting the big block yourself, fleeing the area, and then watching the thing spit light and thunder. :D

As far as it being dangerous, if everyone stays away from the active firework and you point the shooty end away from everyone, the worst thing that'll happen is a few tiny burns from lighters. The fuses on the things give plenty of time to get away.

technically speaking there are a lot of things that can go wrong, if the fireworks are duds or wet or the fuse is made of material that lights unexpectedly fast, etc etc. but I don't normally waste time worrying about hypotheticals with regards to anything, much less fireworks.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 am UTC

Has anyone else noticed a subconscious prioritization with regards to reacting to firework problems? That is, does your reaction signal to others how badly you messed up? With my friends, anytime anyone says "oh, shit!" it's just a caution. Basically, yellow light, I dropped a bottle rocket or something, take notice but don't flip out. When someone says "oh, fuck!" that means get the hell out, a mortar is about to fire a four-break shell up your ass, etc. We all do it this way instinctively, and we all know it and make use of it. Anyone have similar systems worked out? Or do we just blow things up far too often?

Also, things I learned the hard way: Always light the green fuses, never the gray papery-looking ones. They're damn near instantaneous. Also, the sparks from the fuse always shoot in the direction the fuse is pointing; point it away from your hand.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:38 am UTC

You don't ban driving but you do have to have a licence to drive, ensuring you aren't a complete danger to the health and saftey of other poeple.
That and retards/teenagers kept using fireworks on animals and other people/'s homes.

Voco

Postby Voco » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Sharlos wrote:You don't ban driving but you do have to have a licence to drive, ensuring you aren't a complete danger to the health and saftey of other poeple.
That and retards/teenagers kept using fireworks on animals and other people/'s homes.

Excepting little sparklers and such, you need a licence to purchase, store and use fireworks as well.

BSamuels

Postby BSamuels » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:35 am UTC

I love time warner cable.

zug

Postby zug » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

BSamuels wrote:Thread OVER
it's really not, especially not on your say-so

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

We had a fireworks injury prevention advert in the UK a few years back, but the injury was so awesome, it almost made me WANT to play with fireworks. It was a cool-looking white eye.
"Woof!", explained the dog

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

Gears wrote:I have 5 firearms. Everything is legal in Montana. I have drank beer with a cop on duty as well. Basically a big party state.

Some of the few things I miss about living there. Where are you in the fine state? I was in Somers/Flathead for a while and then was in Missoula for a good 5 years (Go Griz!)
Last edited by Babam on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

Miles Shitty. On the opposite side of the state. Go Griz indeed.

Return to “General”